Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you trade Pete Carroll for Sean McVay?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Would you trade Pete Carroll for Sean McVay? I would, in a second.

Tired of getting outcoached and outplayed by the Rams year after year.
    MO Hawk
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• Yes Pete is done winning Super Bowls
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

• Is this a trick question?
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• I'd trade him for Jim Mora right now.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Lol. The stupidest post ever! They wouldn't trade SM's clipboard for Pete!
    Sea84hawks
    NET Rookie

• Yeah I've about had enough of Pete.

It all started when he didn't fire Bevell after the play that should not be mentioned.

Where is the accountability?
    Hawker8989
    NET Rookie

• I'd take a McRib right now for Carroll. The LOB covered his flaws early on, and WIlson has been doing the same for years now. Where is this team without Wilson? 6-10 at best, every year. Pete's done.
    MagnificentSeven
    NET Practice Squad

• What does "LOB" mean?
    Prince Namor
    NET Bench Warmer

• Every Seahawk fan would.

Pete has been over for a long, long time.

The Rams would not though. So moot point.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• While I think McVay is overrated, I’d be a definite yes. Hell, I’ll even throw in Schitty, and KNJ in for free. :2thumbs:
    The league has passed Pete by.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• WmHBonney wrote:Is this a trick question?
    I laughed I admit.

Between this and the McRib post further down this thread is delivering
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Prince Namor wrote:What does "LOB" mean?

Just started watching Seahawks football? Welcome to the team.
    LOB is an acronym for Legion Of Boom, our defensive backfield for the first half of the last decade.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• I'd take McVay or Shanahan over Pete nowadays.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Duh.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

• If it meant giving up JS as well....no.

One for one and JS stays. Of course
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• I'll take Sean Mcvay's haircut only for Pete right now.
    The Breh
    NET Starter

• McVay and Shanahan would be in the NFCCG every year with Russ as their QB. Both are handicapped by subpar QB's and put out super efficient offenses every year. McVay got rid of their DC after one average season. We're gonna be stuck with KNJ and Schotty for another 3 years because Pete refuses to adapt to the current NFL game and has guys who won't stir the beehive.

10-12 wins a year with an early playoff beat down unfortunately seems like the future for this team unless Pete can take a look in the mirror and realize it's probably time to adjust his philosophy. That would start with gutting the offensive coaching staff and let someone come in and take over on that side of the ball (preferably not from the Pete Carroll lineage).
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:McVay and Shanahan would be in the NFCCG every year with Russ as their QB. Both are handicapped by subpar QB's and put out super efficient offenses every year. McVay got rid of their DC after one average season. We're gonna be stuck with KNJ and Schotty for another 3 years because Pete refuses to adapt to the current NFL game and has guys who won't stir the beehive.

10-12 wins a year with an early playoff beat down unfortunately seems like the future for this team unless Pete can take a look in the mirror and realize it's probably time to adjust his philosophy. That would start with gutting the offensive coaching staff and let someone come in and take over on that side of the ball (preferably not from the Pete Carroll lineage).

A friend of mine asked after the game if I thought there was any chance Russell might try to leave Seattle since he's not being utilized effectively here. I said probably not, and I certainly hope not; but imagine if he reconvened with Sherman on the Rams squad and they won three Super Bowls in a row.

I'd feel like hanging myself.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:McVay and Shanahan would be in the NFCCG every year with Russ as their QB. Both are handicapped by subpar QB's and put out super efficient offenses every year. McVay got rid of their DC after one average season. We're gonna be stuck with KNJ and Schotty for another 3 years because Pete refuses to adapt to the current NFL game and has guys who won't stir the beehive.

A friend of mine asked after the game if I thought there was any chance Russell might try to leave Seattle since he's not being utilized effectively here. I said probably not, and I certainly hope not; but imagine if he reconvened with Sherman on the Rams squad and they won three Super Bowls in a row.

I'd feel like hanging myself.

That's quite the leap.
    Sherm and Russ both to the Rams ?
    And win not one, not two, but 3 SB's ?
    You wouldn't be alone shopping for a noose I presume.
    The Breh
    NET Starter

• Got a bag of peanuts? He's yours.

No? Take him anyway.

No? I'll give you a thousand bucks.

Oh, well. It was worth a try.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• I would trade Pete for a half eaten sandwich.

I used to have a dog that for some reason would eat his own crap. Then he would eat it. And predictably throw it back up. Then for some reason he would eat that ( if I didn't catch him doing it first) and throw that back up.

I used to think that cleaning up that was the worst. But I'd trade Carroll for that.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Would you trade a dime for a quarter?
    Dallashawksfan
    NET Practice Squad

• I would trade Pete for Mcvays GF and let her coach our team!
    Sea84hawks
    NET Rookie

• More thoughtful answer here:

Yes, but only because he's younger.

I legit think McVay is too cute by half as a coach but he's trying to get better.

Carroll's problems have been the same since his first season as a coach and I think his positives can no longer outweigh them.
    DarkVictory23
    NET Bench Warmer

• Would love to see Russ in that playbook. A modern nfl offense.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• This is probably the only sensible thread on the front page. Getting rid of Pete or Russ is fool's gold if you can't replace them with someone better. You may think these guys are terrible but there are 25 other franchises that would take them both in a heartbeat.

So of the people that I believe are better than Pete, McVay is on the short list and given his age would be a great option. I would give the dude the same control as Pete has here and let him run the show.

He won a road playoff game with a QB with a broken thumb and 3 pins in it.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• I’d trade Carroll for magic beans at this point.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Find me a Coach that knows the West Coast offense ala Kansas City, or get a new QB in here. RW needs to slim down, and go to a free for all type of offense where he is consistently in motion with moving pockets. He is short, and creative with his feet. How about using his skills in a manner like Mahomes?
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

• The Breh wrote:I'll take Sean Mcvay's haircut only for Pete right now.

I'd take Mark Davis's haircut over Pete at the moment.
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

• So you guys want the guy that game planned his way to 3 points in the SB.

Lulz
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Veteran

• Flyingsquad23 wrote:So you guys want the guy that game planned his way to 3 points in the SB.

Lulz

At least he's made it to the Superbowl lately which is more than can be said for Pete
    MO Hawk
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• No! I am just as upset as everyone else...I want everyone fired, cut and 86ed from the facility. However McVay has a star studded team...better overall than the Hawks and he barley made the playoffs. I am not a play calling guru but I know he has one of the best teams and they still suuuuuuck!! PC just signed an extension...homie is going to be around for a while! This would be the time to bring in a coach to be groomed!
    Hawks2022
    NET Practice Squad

• I trade Pete for my nephews grid kids coach. And no I'm not kidding..
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• In a heart beat, Pete Carroll has demonstrated a lack of support when he did not give the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the 2 yard line. The legion of boom he assembled had to be dismantled due to the poor decision he made. The Seahawks have not been able to rise up to that level of play since. At that time he had a running game and a passing game. However he cost them all their super bowl bonus.

Id trade Pete Carroll for any younger pass friendly coach who puts up a line to protect the QB. They could be a little league coach and be better.
    rogerwb01
    NET Bench Warmer

• So many negative Seahawk fans it’s crazy! Stop lying to yourself, you blasted the Pete Carroll hire & said college coaches can’t make it in the NFL! You’ve been saying John Schneider stinks for the last 3 years and now you eating crow because the media prove Schneider is considered the best which resulted in a new contract.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• bruce arians is the #1 head coach right now
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• FresnoHawk68 wrote:So many negative Seahawk fans it’s crazy! Stop lying to yourself, you blasted the Pete Carroll hire & said college coaches can’t make it in the NFL! You’ve been saying John Schneider stinks for the last 3 years and now you eating crow because the media prove Schneider is considered the best which resulted in a new contract.

Snowflakes fans such as this are part of the problem. Homers who proclaim "But Hawks won the division for the 1st time since ___"
    hawksfansince90
    NET Rookie

• I would trade Pete for Bill Belichick. Pete can return to Pasties and continue on going out in the wild card round.
    hawksfansince90
    NET Rookie

• I would trade Pete for a half-eaten sandwich at this point.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• I’d trade Pete for Timothy McVeigh
    zchurch74
    NET Veteran

• Making a joke about a domestic terrorist who killed 15 people is fun now Zchurch? Is he a personal hero?
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Veteran

• Flyingsquad23 wrote:So you guys want the guy that game planned his way to 3 points in the SB.

Lulz

Well, that same coach beat Seattle twice this season, and won against Carroll with a QB that had a broken thumb in the playoffs. He also has had more than one playoff win in 4 years. Oh, did I mention his QB had some severe limitations that were exposed?
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• This board would be 1000% done with McVay after they collapsed in the Super Bowl and have had little success since. Just calling it like I see it.

There are valid criticisms of Pete, but there's some serious grass-is-always-greener mentality going on here.

The constant decade-long success that everyone is pining for simply does not exist in the NFL. It's a fairy tale. It's like the LOB, its lightning in a bottle. It's hard to capture it twice.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:This board would be 1000% done with McVay after they collapsed in the Super Bowl and have had little success since. Just calling it like I see it.

There are valid criticisms of Pete, but there's some serious grass-is-always-greener mentality going on here.

The constant decade-long success that everyone is pining for simply does not exist in the NFL. It's a fairy tale. It's like the LOB, its lightning in a bottle. It's hard to capture it twice.

I've always thought it odd as well. It's almost as if people don't actually pay attention to the results of games and seasons and just rely on what announcers and pundits tell them to shape their opinions about who's good and who isn't. The Rams have our number to a degree throughout 2 different regimes. The 9ers absolutely own the Rams. We generally take care of the 49ers. Such is the circle of life and sports.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:This board would be 1000% done with McVay after they collapsed in the Super Bowl and have had little success since. Just calling it like I see it.

McVay has also been saddled with a QB that quite frankly is extremely limited, and folds under any pressure. Think the trade for Stafford came out of nowhere? Imagine how far McVay could go with a QB like Russell Wilson?

You know who really has had limited success since his last Super Bowl? Pete Carroll.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Spin Doctor wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:This board would be 1000% done with McVay after they collapsed in the Super Bowl and have had little success since. Just calling it like I see it.

McVay has also been saddled with a QB that quite frankly is extremely limited, and folds under any pressure. Think the trade for Stafford came out of nowhere? Imagine how far McVay could go with a QB like Russell Wilson?

You know who really has had limited success since his last Super Bowl? Pete Carroll.

I'm not talking about Goff or Stafford. I'm talking about McVay.

The Rams made the decision to draft him. After that, McVay/FO made the decision to stick with him and even retain him at a ridiculous salary. They've now had to trade relatively premium assets simply to rid themselves of most of the contract. Seriously, "saddled with" Goff? They're the ones who inked the dude to a massive contract. Don't act like they were powerless to Goff and stuck with him.

This board would have their heads on fire over McVay after a historically bad SB performance, then missing the playoffs entirely, and getting bounced this year.

Is McVay a good coach? Yes.

Would McVay have equal or better postseason success with the Seahawks roster than Carroll has over the past 3 years? I'd say maybe 60-70% chance, yeah. Not a slam dunk by any means.

Would this board be calling for his firing after a hilarious Super Bowl performance, followed by missing the playoffs, coupled with trading away all draft assets and offering a bad quarterback the second worst contract in the league behind Wentz? You bet your ass most of us would be, fair or not.

My point is that even great coaches would fail to meet the absolutely ridiculous standards this board has developed due to the success that Pete, John, and Russ have SPOILED the fanbase rotten with for nearly a decade.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• There's a lot of truth to the idea that other head coaches would get a similar amount of flack here. Do you know which teams have won the Super Bowl lately? Teams with QBs on rookie contracts, and teams with Tom Brady.

As high as everybody is on Andy Reid, he had Patrick Mahomes under contract for a measly $5 million cap hit this season and couldn't get it done. Surely that's an enormous advantage squandered according to the posters who have that mindset.

Shanahan and McVay are both still chasing their first ring with three Super Bowl losses between them, including Shanahan's offense melting down in the 4th quarter two different times.

LaFleur has two 13-3 seasons and two NFC championship game losses... with Aaron Rodgers as his QB.

We even have somebody in this thread listing Arians as the best coach in the NFL. He had mixed success with Arizona and then went 7-9 with the Bucs last season. They weren't even particularly great in the regular season this year, but Tom Brady is good at winning playoff games so now recency bias favors Arians.

This effect may have less to do with fans getting spoiled then it does with them wanting to support Russ. The one thing that is similar between the GB situation and ours was that fans were invested in Aaron Rodgers being the best QB and needed to find explanations for why he hadn't won a Super Bowl since 2010. It feels better as a fan to blame a lack of weapons and poor coaching then it does to acknowledge that once a star QB is paid top dollar then there isn't much room for positive value at the QB position.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• There is only one SuperBowl. But there are plenty of other playoff games.

Most of the other teams with great or top-tier QBs have at least won a division playoff game.

We haven't since our SB loss.

Wilson can't even compete for a SB or attempt to get the chance to fight for it, if his HC puts gameplans in place that result in us being down multiple TDs at the half of any divisional playoff game.

Say what you will but McVay has actually won a divisional playoff game since our SB loss. Carroll hasn't. And Carroll had the better QB and a team that most would consider close to the same overall roster strength.

If the only thing that matters is winning SBs, then sure. Few approaches will be successful because there is only 1 winner. But if the goal is being a consistent threat and winner in the playoffs? Then plenty of other coaches are successful and Carroll is an abject failure since his SB loss.

I don't think any rational intelligent football fan would ever choose today's Pete Carroll over today's Sean McVay.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:This board would be 1000% done with McVay after they collapsed in the Super Bowl and have had little success since. Just calling it like I see it.

I'm not talking about Goff or Stafford. I'm talking about McVay.

The Rams made the decision to draft him. After that, McVay/FO made the decision to stick with him and even retain him at a ridiculous salary. They've now had to trade relatively premium assets simply to rid themselves of most of the contract. Seriously, "saddled with" Goff? They're the ones who inked the dude to a massive contract. Don't act like they were powerless to Goff and stuck with him.

This board would have their heads on fire over McVay after a historically bad SB performance, then missing the playoffs entirely, and getting bounced this year.

Is McVay a good coach? Yes.

Would McVay have equal or better postseason success with the Seahawks roster than Carroll has over the past 3 years? I'd say maybe 60-70% chance, yeah. Not a slam dunk by any means.

Would this board be calling for his firing after a hilarious Super Bowl performance, followed by missing the playoffs, coupled with trading away all draft assets and offering a bad quarterback the second worst contract in the league behind Wentz? You bet your ass most of us would be, fair or not.

My point is that even great coaches would fail to meet the absolutely ridiculous standards this board has developed due to the success that Pete, John, and Russ have SPOILED the fanbase rotten with for nearly a decade.

McVay doesn't make the FO decisions in the Rams organization, so yes I would way he was saddled with him. McVay also has more than one win in the playoffs in four years. I'm 100 percent sure that if you give him Lockett, and Metcalf that he at least wins more than one playoff game in four years.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Remind me everyone saying yes, which one of those two coaches won the Super Bowl and which ones team scored only 3 points in the sb
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information