Russell Wilson is no longer a good quarterback

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Say what you want about Pete and his archaic offense and complete inability to adapt and outcoach anyone else. Russ has been near abysmal since the first AZ game back in Week 6 or 7. People need to get off the clouds and look at his numbers during that stretch. He's been close to Dwayne Haskins level on multiple occasions and today specifically, he was atrocious. Indecisive, slow, inaccurate and unable to adjust. His deep balls got worse. His quickness and decision making got a lot worse.

Maybe its the coaching. Maybe its a concussion that he hid. Or maybe defenses adjusted to his style and he can't figure out how to counter. This team has so much raw talent. The defense stepped up and played great during the second half of the season. And we have two of the best receivers in this league. But we are on the verge of losing all of them like we did after the super bowl loss to the Pats. something has to change. Now. I'm done being on team Russ. At this point, I'd trade him for what I can. I can't wait to watch Aaron Rogers decimate LA and make us look like fools.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I don't think you're reading what seems to have happened properly. I think when Pete cut Russ's nuts off mid-season after the first couple of bad games following our amazing start, it really hurt his confidence. He can get that back over the offseason. What we need to do is be more dynamic, intelligent, creative, and advanced on offense. We literally have the most high school-level offense in the entire NFL.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
They said Rodgers was over too, until he got a new coach. Never underestimate how a bad coach can hold a good qb back.

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
I'm willing to give Russ another chance. But that means Pete has to go. It's one or the other. Something has to give.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pete is definitely the one that needs to go. Not because we lost today - but because of both HOW we lost, and Pete's post-game press conference. That was honestly the most insulting piece of crap I've ever had to witness at a Seahawks presser. I can't stand coworkers at my own employer who don't own up to mistakes, and Pete is really starting to give me that vibe.

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
That press conference was the most pathetic thing I've seen since the Jim Mora era. and we all shutter when we are reminded of that imbecile.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":qi6w6bmj said:
That press conference was the most pathetic thing I've seen since the Jim Mora era. and we all shutter when we are reminded of that imbecile.
We could use some dirtbags to drive the point home to Pete about our offense. :)

James in PA

Reaction score
1) Schotty never adjusted once opposing defenses figured out how to take away the deep ball. 2) Just because our o-line sucked under Cable and has improved the past couple years doesn’t mean they are anywhere close to great, 3) Russ needs an elite RB. Good luck finding another Beast Mode, but that is what he needs. An above average back or running back by committee aren’t going to cut it.

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
All true. I'm also going to say it. Russ's height is an issue. Now that he's slowed down and defenses have schemed for him, his height is starting to become a huge issue. Not hitting hot routes over the middle is devastating when facing a good D line. He can't hit slants. and teams have figured out how to attack outside routes while pressuring Russ and he and Pete haven't adjusted in the slightest.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
I'm still sticking with the Coaches Austin Davis is the QB coach Really Russ has more experience then him I would think you would want to hire the best coaches that are available what is this a learning center for coaches?

If you watch Russ he is very slow going through his progressions someone is open but he doesn't see them in time or he get's to excited in the pocket and try's to run he can't out run the LB's now and most likely the DE's. The Ram's do have him figured out they rush 4 straight up and if he runs they can catch him now.

Pete might be a person that hires people that are constantly asking him questions so he can answer them to make him feel intelligent like Pete do you know where the bathroom is? two doors down on the right. Wow how do you know so much Pete.

He should hire the Best OC, Line and D Coordinator hell all the coaches should be top of the line I would think they're getting paid like they are and then sit back and take some glory.

Well better luck next year.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Russ early in the season was a legitimate MVP candidate. Watching him today and the last few weeks was a completely different quarterback. I don't believe in any way that this is the new normal.

I blame this SOLELY on the gameplan.

Our o-line is not set up for the QB Russ is. How are they allowing the ends to contain him so well. Let them go on the inside and let Russ roll out. But instead they allow the d to maintain the edges and the weakness of our Guards and Center are exposed. How many times do we have to watch Russ drop back 9 yards, try to roll right and bam, there's an end there to contain him.

Earlier in the season I was frustrated because Russ was not just stepping up in the pocket and squeaking out inside the dt/de. But that just hasn't been an option as the interior line is awful.

I also don't know why our vertical game is so focused on deep bombs. Why is Lockett just a ghost most of these games? It's either a run or Russ throws one up 35 yards to a double-covered DK who is great... some of the time.

Nothing about Russ's age, injury, or speed has declined. He's got at least 5 years of top tier QB play left in a good system.

keasley45

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":39x4z1bp said:
All true. I'm also going to say it. Russ's height is an issue. Now that he's slowed down and defenses have schemed for him, his height is starting to become a huge issue. Not hitting hot routes over the middle is devastating when facing a good D line. He can't hit slants. and teams have figured out how to attack outside routes while pressuring Russ and he and Pete haven't adjusted in the slightest.

This. For all the folks who seem to think the season tanked just because Pete reeled it in, if that's true, it should have just gone back to what its always been, because it was never what we saw through week 6 this year. And why is it when we have an o-line that ranks better than the abysmal o lines we had under Cable, is the QB performance worse. And for the love of God, can we please stop pretending that Russ is just a victim of the playcall, as if he is just handed the plan on Sunday and isn't involved in selecting what we run.

I don't know 100% why we abandoned shallow and mid passes, or seemed incapable of hitting hot routes to beat pressure. But I do know that those plays were there on many occasions for the taking. And we left them. Russ held the ball longer this year than I've seen in his career. Commentators commented on it and stated many times that he just needs to get the ball out. Pete even commented several times over the season that sometimes you have to take what a defense gives you. We didn't do that all year. And I think it's finally come to the point that what tge defenses give us, Russ simply can't take. He can't see it, so he can't feel it, can't trust it, and with his fear of the turnover, won't throw it. That's as much the issue as anything else and certainly more plausible than this conspiracy theory that has Pete squashing a dynamic o in favor of one that mandates we either run the ball or throw deep.

Also hate to say it but I also think the early season success also went to Russ's head and that he bought into the media's mvp hype. I mean when ever hS it been his character to AGREE when asked that we should be MVP? I think he's responsible as anyone for wanting to constantly hit the deep ball and constantly feed DK.. who btw has for sure bought into his hype. On a day like yesterday when mixing up the pass attack was one way to loosen up the Rams D, Russ forced the ball to DK far too often.

I think its entirely insane to lay the blame for the offense's failures at Pete or Schotty 's feet when so much of the evidence points to qb played uncharacteristically poorly this year, with more tools than he has ever had at his disposal.

RCATES

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1hvw85lj said:
I don't think you're reading what seems to have happened properly. I think when Pete cut Russ's nuts off mid-season after the first couple of bad games following our amazing start, it really hurt his confidence. He can get that back over the offseason. What we need to do is be more dynamic, intelligent, creative, and advanced on offense. We literally have the most high school-level offense in the entire NFL.

lmao if you actually believe this garbage

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Russell Wilson playoff GW / Comeback drives 2012-2015: 4
Russell Wilson playoff GW / Comeback drives 2015-2020: 0

He's clutch when it matters?

groundchucklives

Reaction score
....I have to chuckle at the guy who said Russ's speed has NOT diminished AT ALL. Come on dude, there is no way he is as fast or as athletic/slippery as he was 8-9 years ago. He has also added a little bit of chunk during that time as well.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
RCATES":1qma131s said:
RolandDeschain":1qma131s said:
What we need to do is be more dynamic, intelligent, creative, and advanced on offense. We literally have the most high school-level offense in the entire NFL.

lmao if you actually believe this garbage

I believe this part.

hoxrox

Reaction score
keasley45":18ed16ql said:
For all the folks who seem to think the season tanked just because Pete reeled it in, if that's true, it should have just gone back to what its always been, because it was never what we saw through week 6 this year. And why is it when we have an o-line that ranks better than the abysmal o lines we had under Cable, is the QB performance worse. And for the love of God, can we please stop pretending that Russ is just a victim of the playcall, as if he is just handed the plan on Sunday and isn't involved in selecting what we run.

I don't know 100% why we abandoned shallow and mid passes, or seemed incapable of hitting hot routes to beat pressure. But I do know that those plays were there on many occasions for the taking. And we left them. Russ held the ball longer this year than I've seen in his career. Commentators commented on it and stated many times that he just needs to get the ball out. Pete even commented several times over the season that sometimes you have to take what a defense gives you. We didn't do that all year. And I think it's finally come to the point that what tge defenses give us, Russ simply can't take. He can't see it, so he can't feel it, can't trust it, and with his fear of the turnover, won't throw it. That's as much the issue as anything else and certainly more plausible than this conspiracy theory that has Pete squashing a dynamic o in favor of one that mandates we either run the ball or throw deep.

I think its entirely insane to lay the blame for the offense's failures at Pete or Schotty 's feet when so much of the evidence points to qb played uncharacteristically poorly this year, with more tools than he has ever had at his disposal.

Yeah I don't even know what Pete "reeling" it in, or "handcuffing" the offense even means. Is he sitting there in the coaches meeting, deleting plays from the playbook? I can just see it now:

Nope, Nope, nope. This looks good, why don't we try this? Nope, Nope, Nope. Delete.

Pete's not sitting there drawing up the game plan. This is a coordinator's job. And they were unable to adjust once defenses took away the deep ball.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Comparing Russ to Tom Brady, who just became one of the oldest active QB in the history of the NFL, provides an interesting contrast. Tom is 6 inches taller and quite thin and Russ has packed on the weight in the past two years to slow him down noticeably. It is highly unlikely that Russ will still be playing when he is 43.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The issue is way past Coordinators. Goodbye Pete. Way to have the guys up to play yesterday.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Then trade him. Being a Seahawks fan and arguing about this every week is exhausting. Trade Russ and let him succeed elsewhere. Sign or draft the QB you’re absolutely sure would out produce him.