Realistically, what “drastic” move(s) do we need to make?

James in PA

Reaction score
There was a point earlier in the season that I was way down on KNJ. But, for the most part, I’m usually not the “fire this guy, fire that guy” type of fan. That said , I just don’t think I can take another year of the combo of Pete, John, Russ, Schotty and KNJ. Something isn’t quite clicking with this combo. So, who, if any of them, will go? I think it’s safe to say that Pete and Russ aren’t going anywhere. Also, Pete absolutely adores KNJ and his 2nd half of the season turn-around didn’t hurt his stock. That leaves John and/or Schotty. Does John take that job with the Lions and we recoup some much needed draft capital (which is so depleted BECAUSE OF John)? And maybe we get a GM who’s better at drafting players inside the trenches? Does Pete have the balls to move on from Schotty for failing to adjust the entire 2nd half of the season once opposing defenses learned how to take away the deep ball? Again, I don’t like change just for the sake of change, but something has got to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd trade Russ to Houston for Watson, I'd focus the draft on the lines, I'd resign Shaq and KJ and let Carson go, I'd fire Shotty, and I'd give Pete one more year. I just don't think it's realistic to expect Pete to get fired after he just signed a new contract.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Get rid of Pete OR get rid of RW. The two in combination have showed their peak...divisional round in the playoffs.

The fact is pete will not gameplan in a way that works with RW (and his salary), Pete needs a historically talented team around his cheap QB to play pete ball and go to the SB. RW is not going to get paid like a rookie again and thus must be with a coach who is willing to figure out ways to be more creative on offense throughout 4 quarters of a game because RW's salary as with any top 3-5 QB salary is going to create holes defensively in the team.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
I’m with ya on let Carson walk and can Schotty. I like Carson but he is not elite nor durable. And Schotty? So disgusted with his inability to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Trade Wilson for Watson.

Let Pete go.

Replace the coordinators.

Or give JS full control, allow him to keep Pete under him if he wishes but not as coach.

Then after stripping Pete of all gameday power...watch us go much farther in the playoffs.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
God I'd love to have Deshaun. Watching Russ hold the ball and durdle around until he's sacked or overthrows a guy deep is nauseating and I'm tired of it.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I don't get the trade Wilson for Watson thing.

If Pete's the problem, Watson will be boxed in and neutered just like Russ.

If Russ is the problem, why would the Texans consider it?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Trading Wilson for Watson won't accomplish anything. The problem is Pete's handcuffs on the offense needing to be removed. We could replace every damn player on offense and the result isn't going to change because THEY ARE NOT THE PROBLEM.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
I agree that Pete is an issue. But I think it's both. Russ has declined sharply. That's a fact. He looks lost.

pinksheets

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":47mgxsgh said:
I agree that Pete is an issue. But I think it's both. Russ has declined sharply. That's a fact. He looks lost.
So, why would the Texans take that trade? If he's washed, you'll have to add a couple 1sts, which we don't have.

I don't agree with you about Russ, but even accepting your premise, this move doesn't make sense one way or another.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Sometimes a change of scenery can factor into a deal. I think both QBs want out.

Elemas

Reaction score
I love Russ and can see him absolutely killing it....in a different offense. I don't know why we pay him so much just to manage and/or run poorly designed plays that do not adjust to what the defense is showing us.

It was mentioned that Pete is the problem and if we did manage to trade Russ, Russ has to approve ofc, then we'd likely see the same thing as long as Pete's here. 100% agree with this.

I don't want to see Russ go. Ever. It's very evident, even referenced in the post-game presser, that he's being handcuffed.

I'm not getting back on the "Let Russ Cook" train. But I do want to see an offense designed around our strengths and not this overarching belief that 3-0 is a great game. Or, 20-19, or 7-6, or...A win is the most important thing. That's obvious. But when you actually PLAN to bring that to fruition during the regular season, it manifests into getting your ass whooped in the playoffs.

Our performance in the playoffs since the last SB has been disgraceful. Without Blair Walsh, we'd have 1 playoff win in that time-frame. Let that sink in.

Signing busted up players for $10M a season doesnt help either.

If the philosophy doesnt change, it doesn't matter what we do. The Rams will be as strong, if not stronger, next year. The Niners, who I believe will take our division, will be healthy.
AZ is coming on strong and should be returning key players. It's not a great outlook.

But...let's say the realization hits home that we need adjustments. Draft wise, and in no particular order, I'd go after o-linemen, an Edge as we have no idea with Taylor looks like and although I love Dunlap, he's getting up there. I'd grab a corner as I suspect Shaq will demand more than what I'd pay him which is anything north of $7M. As crazy as this sounds, I'd keep BWagz and KJ. Both are slowing down but they're both still very damn good. Besides the bonehead play he made that took Blair out, I enjoyed his energy this season. I'm keeping Neal. He had a bad game today but, everyone does once in awhile. Carson...if hes willing to accept a slightly below average for a RB salary, I bring him back. I love this dude but the injury thing...its always something. Fumbles, reliability,...something. There's only so many picks so, I'm likely not taking a RB unless there's a steal. I'm expecting Carson and Hyde back. Collins was looking good. Dallas needs more reps to evaluate. I'm totally anxious to see what a full healthy offseason does for Penny. Hope's not lost...this guy may be our #1 next year.
Flowers would walk. Those bign's that need to get paid follow Jamal Adam's on this list.. lock JA down.

This same team next year gets drilled without changing their playcalling.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Carroll can’t seem to include new aggressive game planning.

He really recycles the only thing he knows and it no longer works to advance in playoffs against good teams, and it’s not just evident this year, it has been a trend for the past 4 or 5 seasons.

Wilson has seem to regress for the past 4-5 seasons especially during middle to late in the regular season and post season, due to being heavily restrained by Carroll’s offense or his own skill set has diminished.

Carroll and Wilson are both guilty for not coaching and playing well, and it does seem like if you keep these two together, things will not change.

Someone has to go.

Since Carroll is up there in age, I am assuming the owner wants Russell to stay more so than Carroll to continue.

They will not say it, but one needs to go.

Now!

potatohead33

Reaction score
The Rams fired Fisher one week after signing a contract extension.

Sometimes you have to look in the mirror and realize you made a mistake.