Who should we get rid of? Pete? Schotty? Russ?

Who should we get rid of?

• Only Russ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Pete

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Only Schotty

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Pete and Schotty

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Russ and Schotty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everyone

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
W

Welshers

People are understandably really frustrated. And we are all still licking our wounds. I am seeing stuff about what should be done all over here, so I wanted to ask: Who does everyone think we should get rid of?

I think the overwhelming sentiment is that there needs to be some kind of accountability and some kind of change here. I won't even get into KNJ at this time because the defense wasn't the reason we were bounced from the playoffs. Our offense needs fixing.

I happen to think we MUST get a new offensive scheme. Pete needs to go hands off. Personally I'd keep Russ and Pete but shelve Shotty. I think our offensive game planning has just been terrible and that's what's making Russ look bad.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
"Pete Carrol Fired After 11 Seasons"

How'd that headline make you feel?

OP
OP
W

Welshers

SonicHawk":2fjiwmkj said:
"Pete Carrol Fired After 11 Seasons"

How'd that headline make you feel?
I'd have very mixed feelings. I really like Pete and he brought us to new heights. And bringing someone new in does not by any means mean we are instantly going to be successful. I'd prefer to keep him and see some new offensive mind brought in at coordinator

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That headline would be amazing!

We would be like kids on Christmas morning.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Welshers":3dhuke0t said:
I'd have very mixed feelings. I really like Pete and he brought us to new heights. And bringing someone new in does not by any means mean we are instantly going to be successful. I'd prefer to keep him and see some new offensive mind brought in at coordinator

I think this is where you might be missing the point. You need to realize a different OC would not make any difference as long as Pete is head coach. Honestly, do you see much difference in the offense since Shotty replaced Bevell. Its Petes way or no way regardless of whos in the booth. Pete is the problem.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Pete is the problem.

I’m actually ok keeping schotty as long as we toss Pete. He also isn’t some great program builder. We needed OL so he gets Adams on a terrible trade and the guy is Eugene Robinson at best and really not even.

How about the past the line of scrimmage challenge?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see Russ and Pete separated to once and for all, find out where most of the blame lies. My guess is the results would be inconclusive.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Imo the person making our vanilla offense vanilla, making our quarterback see ghosts and play scared in the name of ball security, and can’t get the team ready to play 4 quarters of football in any. game. ever. is Pete.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Someone in the game-day forum put it pretty succinctly: 'If Pete insists on running this offense, might as well sign Dwayne Haskins for $3 million and get to work'

Elemas

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1ie3vgvj said:
Someone in the game-day forum put it pretty succinctly: 'If Pete insists on running this offense, might as well sign Dwayne Haskins for $3 million and get to work'

I said that. Why have a $40M man to manage your game for you? This team would be better with a Haskins and dividing RWs salary into 3 really good offensive or defensive linemen. Hell, nix the Olsen 10M and you could likely net a pro bowler or two.

But, you DONT let RW walk. You know what he can do. This was PC coming back in and taking the reigns from a medium risk, high reward offensive gameplan. This is a guy who would rather win by 3 then by....I can't remember the exact quote. This is the guy that tries to get the opposing team a penalty on 4th and 1 when your on their 45, and calls a timeout at 1 second left on the play clock only to punt it away. Ripping every fiber of confidence out of his offense. Oh, and btw, your defense was ranked LAST at that point. But, let's not go for that ONE yard. This is a guy that, even though there were record setting paces in many offensive categories, felt that a few interceptions deemed it necessary to return to good ol Pete Ball. Personal accolades aside, the new scheme was exciting and most importantly, the team was producing.

Pete has great charisma. He knows how to make changes and keep his guys hyped up to accept those changes. They buy-in.
Until they get smart (Sherm, Thomas, Bennet, etc..) or just accept the way it is (Wagz, a bit of Russ although hes starting to speak on it).

I think Pete's a great coach but his fundamental approach is not working. "But, we were 12-4". Of course we'd take that all day. But, this is the only 12-4 team in the league that goes into a playoff game with the majority of fans thinking we're going to lose. Division champ that gets knocked out by a division rival...in the wildcard.

Couple that with the bleak outlook for next year...and it draws emotional responses such as these. Healthy Niners, Rams getting better and returning that defense...I see us competing with AZ to be 3rd in our division. It's unsettling.

Unless we make changes. We have talent. Live up to it!!

OP
OP
W

Welshers

NJlargent":2llu9wmg said:
Pete is the problem.

I’m actually ok keeping schotty as long as we toss Pete. He also isn’t some great program builder. We needed OL so he gets Adams on a terrible trade and the guy is Eugene Robinson at best and really not even.

How about the past the line of scrimmage challenge?
Jamal is the all time leading NFL DB sack leader. He's like a homing missile. You are definitely selling him short. Though Eugene Robinson was a great player

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I love that headline.

Because it means our ceiling is back.

Carroll is more the problem because he is afraid to let the game be decided up a no restrictions Wilson.

Seymour

Reaction score
The 4th and one false start was a result of Pete getting in the way of the call, and Pete admitted that. I bring that up as time and time again Pete gets in the way all to often trying to have control of offense.

IMO the answer is keep Pete and get an OC that he trusts 100% that is more creative to make use of the skillset he has to work with, and is able to adjust to what is given or open to the offense. Trust and then hands off Pete, let them DO THEIR JOB!

irfuben32

Reaction score
To me "Let Russ Cook" isn't about throwing the ball more. It's about letting RW call the plays. I would say he should call the plays of at least 2 drives a half.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

irfuben32":17hjf1yh said:
To me "Let Russ Cook" isn't about throwing the ball more. It's about letting RW call the plays. I would say he should call the plays of at least 2 drives a half.
Does any team in football do that? I know Brady does a lot of audibles but straight up calling plays? Can't think of any team that has their qb do that

John63

Reaction score
irfuben32":2zgfqtkk said:

That is part of it, it is also about tempo less snapping with 5 or less on the clock, more motion, more quick passing, more screens. getting the offense into a rhythm early, Russ running early. It is all these things that we stopped doing in game 6 and never got back to. In fact Wilson was only avg 2 more pass attempts a game in games 1-5 than last year.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I said Pete and Schottenheimer. Some have said they wouldn't mind keeping Schotty (and I wouldn't) but I assume if we brought in a new head coach, they are probably going to want their own OC.

Getting rid of just Schotty would be the same as what we did with Bevell. Was Bevell bad? Yeah, but our systemic problems haven't changed so it's hard to say he was the problem. Schottenheimer simply improves things around the edges, but the issue is Pete.

As for the headline of Pete leaving, no, it would not make me excited because who knows who we get after. But I feel like there is almost no chance we improve from a 12-4 team that feels like you are watching a 9-7 team every week unless we move on from him or he has a massive change of heart (and he hasn't in 10+ years and honestly... who can blame him? He's been so successful for so long it's hard to recognize where your failure points are.)

OP
OP
W

Welshers

I'm surprised all the people who want schotty to stay but not pete