Offense is hard when the other team gets home w 4

gowazzu02

Reaction score
As a Coug fan that game looked very familiar. Its was the apple cup disasters under Leach.

Rush 4, get home immediately and drop everyone else into coverage. It kills any type of offense you want to run. The LBs can help stuff the run and if that works your offense is toast. Because your not throwing into deep coverage when the d tackles are getting immediate pressure up the gut.

It takes creative on the fly adjustments. It takes getting first downs and tempo to tire down the d. And it sucks watching against your team

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It does not automatically kill any type of offense you want to run. Ever hear of a screen? We should have just kept tossing it right over their heads as they ran straight at Russell time and again until it stopped working.

John63

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ox6o0dj said:
It does not automatically kill any type of offense you want to run. Ever hear of a screen? We should have just kept tossing it right over their heads as they ran straight at Russell time and again until it stopped working.

agreed but we tried once and it got blew up. Plus shor tpass PC hates short passes.

getnasty

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":b9hdsu5a said:

They ran 2 screens that i remember yesterday. 1 went the other way for a TD, the other was thrown at Carson feet 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Also screens agaisnt teams that only rush 4 aren't very effective, typically much better agaisnt teams that blitz.

Not only are they able to rush 4 but they have the best corner in the league which allows 6 people to cover 3 if they want.

Seymour

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":25w4mqmj said:

This!!

No RB screens, no rollouts, the TE passing game is gone! Our offensive play calling is a major limiting factor!

irfuben32

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3k71t1v4 said:

Yes!

This is what frustrates me

make freaking adjustments

are there check-downs in this offense or does Russ just not hit them or hit them too late?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
getnasty":1xnmbp91 said:
RolandDeschain":1xnmbp91 said:

They ran 2 screens that i remember yesterday. 1 went the other way for a TD, the other was thrown at Carson feet 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Also screens agaisnt teams that only rush 4 aren't very effective, typically much better agaisnt teams that blitz.

Not only are they able to rush 4 but they have the best corner in the league which allows 6 people to cover 3 if they want.
The WR screen isn't the kind of screen I was talking about, and that pick six was on Swain. This is also why scheming your receivers well is so important too, in order to try and get multiple defenders to bite to one side to free up someone on the other side, etc.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Seymour":128kshm1 said:
RolandDeschain":128kshm1 said:

This!!

No RB screens, no rollouts, the TE passing game is gone! Our offensive play calling is a major limiting factor!
All in an effort to win the turnover battle we take away most of the field . This mentality is ridiculous

LTH

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1a2k9i8n said:
As a Coug fan that game looked very familiar. Its was the apple cup disasters under Leach.

Rush 4, get home immediately and drop everyone else into coverage. It kills any type of offense you want to run. The LBs can help stuff the run and if that works your offense is toast. Because your not throwing into deep coverage when the d tackles are getting immediate pressure up the gut.

It takes creative on the fly adjustments. It takes getting first downs and tempo to tire down the d. And it sucks watching against your team

Yep...Thats why you run the ball ...

JustTheTip

Reaction score
It is much easier for the opposing defense to get home without blitzing when you provide them with one of these:

X5

Another Pete coaching mandate.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Offense is hard when you are super predictable in scheme, hike the ball at the 1-2 second mark every time, let opposing defenses make substitutions whenever they like, and require 5 seconds or more to throw a pass.

Polk738

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9ux9a9yk said:
getnasty":9ux9a9yk said:
RolandDeschain":9ux9a9yk said:

The WR screen isn't the kind of screen I was talking about, and that pick six was on Swain. This is also why scheming your receivers well is so important too, in order to try and get multiple defenders to bite to one side to free up someone on the other side, etc.

Actually if you look at it, DK was probably more at fault than Swain was-if you're the targeted receiver on that play you have to come towards the ball to set it up properly otherwise its nearly impossible for the WR to block for you-regardless you still make a great point, because this team sucks at screen plays. The only one I remember that sticks out in my mind that wasn't a complete shit show was the one they ran against Atlanta with Carson, don't quote me on it but I think it was a type of tunnel screen and it was a thing of beauty.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":316mm09m said:

Are you saying just running screens over and over will help with a front four that's abusing your O-line?

Screens work best against blitzes. When defenses can get home against 4, it makes it extremely difficult. Especially when your O-line is getting worked that often