No quality playoff wins since Super Bowl 48

Erebus

Reaction score
Super Bowl 48 was great, and I'll forever be grateful to Pete Carroll for that. Since then, let's take a look at what happened.

In 2014, we played a sub-.500 Panthers team that only advanced to the division round because they had the good fortune of playing a Cardinals team on their 3rd string QB. Then we got dominated at home for 55 minutes by the Packers. The Seahawks were not ready for that game. The Packers choked and gave it away at the end. It took a combination of incredible luck (the 2 point conversion, onside kick) and ultra-conservative play from the Packers.

In 2015 we only beat the Vikings because of an easy missed field goal by Blair Walsh. That was a Vikings team we dominated 38-7 a month earlier in Minnesota.

In 2016 we played a mediocre Lions team that really wasn't a playoff threat. This was our best playoff performance since 2013, but not a quality opponent.

In 2019 we were fortunate to play an injury-depleted Eagles team with a 40 year old backup QB. And it was still a one-score game.

And that's it. Those are all our playoff wins since SB 48. Not a single quality win against a good opponent.

I've never been on the fire Pete bandwagon until now. The playoffs matter more than the regular season. The Chargers moved on from Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 regular season and one-and-done in the playoffs. The Seahawks should move on, too.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Erebus":3nd0rnut said:
Super Bowl 48 was great, and I'll forever be grateful to Pete Carroll for that. Since then, let's take a look at what happened.

In 2014, we played a sub-.500 Panthers team that only advanced to the division round because they had the good fortune of playing a Cardinals team on their 3rd string QB. Then we got dominated at home for 55 minutes by the Packers. The Seahawks were not ready for that game. The Packers choked and gave it away at the end. It took a combination of incredible luck (the 2 point conversion, onside kick) and ultra-conservative play from the Packers.

In 2015 we only beat the Vikings because of an easy missed field goal by Blair Walsh. That was a Vikings team we dominated 38-7 a month earlier in Minnesota.

In 2016 we played a mediocre Lions team that really wasn't a playoff threat. This was our best playoff performance since 2013, but not a quality opponent.

In 2019 we were fortunate to play an injury-depleted Eagles team with a 40 year old backup QB. And it was still a one-score game.

And that's it. Those are all our playoff wins since SB 48. Not a single quality win against a good opponent.

I've never been on the fire Pete bandwagon until now. The playoffs matter more than the regular season. The Chargers moved on from Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 regular season and one-and-done in the playoffs. The Seahawks should move on, too.

Fully supported.

Time for a change. And, not after next year... NOW!

irfuben32

Reaction score
It feels like they are consistently out coached in the playoffs.

TraderGary

Reaction score
PateratoWilson":o5ayzpcl said:
Erebus":o5ayzpcl said:

Fully supported.

Time for a change. And, not after next year... NOW!
I've been critical of Pete pretty much this entire season. I will always be thankful for the culture he and JS have built in Seattle. No one can ever take that, or the SB championship away from them.

But after yesterday's embarrassing performance, I'm in the move on from Pete club along with so many others. It was the exact same playoff scenario that's played out for too many years now. It's become sadly predictable. He is so stubborn and rooted in his outdated philosophies that he refuses to see the error of his ways. I listened to his PC last night, and in his mind, we lost that game yesterday because of the turnovers. He never acknowledged how we got completely outplayed from start to finish in every phase of the game, or how the Hawks simply weren't ready to play.

But talking about firing or moving on from Pete is absolutely pointless. As everyone knows, he very recently signed a 5-year extension. I don't know what the monetary value of that extension is, but does anyone think ownership is going to completely embarrass themselves, do a 180, and eat the entire value of that extension? It's just not going to happen.

Also, we finished 12-4. That 12-4 feels pretty hollow today. But the fact is, we won our division, the toughest in the league. If we were to fire Pete after the season we had, I think we would be a laughing stock throughout the entire sports world.

I think the only solution, at least temporarily, would be to bring in a young innovative OC, let him design a system around Russ and the rest of our skill players, and keep Pete the hell away from anything to do with the offensive game planning. Unfortunately I put the chance of that happening at about 5% and that may be on the optimistic side.

I think we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future and we just have to hope that someone will get in his ear and he will somehow see the error of his ways, adapt to today's game, and surround himself with quality coordinators on both sides of the ball. Because of that extension, I think it's the best we can hope for at this time.