Releasing the the ball quickly.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
I am watching the Saints game. One thing I noticed about Brees is he gets rid of the ball quickly and he has good field awareness. He and Russ are about the same height. Russ in the last several games did not always who was around him and got sacked a lot. I don't know if it is Schotty's offense or how we use Russ or our crappy line that is making the difference. This loss just beat me up. I think Pete and company needs at the least invest in our line. Russ for his part took a dive in the second half of the season. For a while he was MVP material and then something happened. I have never seen anything like it. I do not know the answer.

keasley45

Reaction score
Drew Brees is a technician. He's not always looking for the homerun. He works within the offense because he has to and he has perfected it. He will take every blade of grass the defense gives. Fun watching him work.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Watching Brees easily convert on 3rd and 4 makes me a little jealous.

OP
OP
BigBill1945

BigBill1945

Reaction score
keasley45":oerkgij4 said:
Drew Brees is a technician. He's not always looking for the homerun. He works within the offense because he has to and he has perfected it. He will take every blade of grass the defense gives. Fun watching him work.

Good, I am glad it is not just me. Is it the offense or Russell?

Sea84hawks

Reaction score
Also he can hit 5 yard slants all day! Wilson has done that like 5 times his whole career!

There is no comparison between Brees and Wilson. Bread is an actual elite qb, Wilson is just a deep ball thrower. And when those deep balls are defended, he can't do shit!

Blame everyone and everything... But I will say it again, bring the best o-Line, coaches, etc, but if you have a QB that is so limited skill and awareness-wise like Wilson, the best o-Line an coaches will look bad!

evergreen

Reaction score
It seemed like he was doing quick short passing to perfection in the second half of 2015. But rarely ever since. But there is something wrong with him. He must've been concussed or have a shoulder injury.

justafan

Reaction score
Brees is one of the greatest QBs in history. Wilson isnt Brees, he is needs to play his game. Get outside the pocket making it happen when plays breakdown.
Having said that, the Saints havent been to the SB in 10 years. Even with the offensive mastermind as a coach.

Fan set other teams or players as the bar they want the Hawks to clear but they havent been as successful as Pete and RW have been.

misfit

Reaction score
This thread is funny cuz most saints fans I know are ready for brees to retire

keasley45

Reaction score
BigBill1945":30x4e32s said:
keasley45":30x4e32s said:

Good, I am glad it is not just me. Is it the offense or Russell?

From what I've seen this year I'd say 70% of it is Russell. I don't think hes concussed, injured or distracted. I just think he got a buzz off of the MVP talk and even when logical, short to medium plays were called, he ignored the easy read for the rainbow and first downs for touchdowns. I've said it 1000 times thats its on tape. There have been spurts where Schotty could have dialed up a more mobile pocket, and a screen or two more, but even that is hard to evaluate when on 3rd and 3, you throw the ball 50 yards incomplete and go 3 and out several times a game.

getnasty

Reaction score
Most quick throws are predetermined before the balls even snapped. I don't feel like Russell trust himself enough to cut those loose sometimes.

Maybe he's had it beat into his head to not turn the ball over and he just won't let the ball go until he knows for sure somebodys open?

You see a lot of 3 step drops and the ball not coming out on time from him for sure though.

rcaido

Reaction score
Sorry Brees has only been in the playoffs 10 times in 20 years...
He's had 8 non winning seasons.

Wilson has had a winning season since the beginning...He has been carrying this franchise on his back. You guys need cut him some slack.

BASF

Reaction score
Being able to hit quick throws requires the offensive line to open passing windows. It is practically impossible to open passing windows when the defender you are supposed to move to a spot to open the window has already pushed you back into where your lane is supposed to be. That is on the line coach and the strength and conditioning coach.

The most frustrating part of watching us play these divisional games is it sure as hell seems that the opponents know exactly where the passing lane is supposed to be and they are rushing exactly into them. With the failure of the offensive line in fractions of a second, Wilson has to adjust immediately and the adjustments have not been there. The fact that the secondary and third read is almost always covered means one thing, the routes in the play call are not varied enough. That is on Schottenheimer.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Finally! Some good discussion on the x-and-o portions of the offensive woes instead of a bunch of conjecture about perfume, podcasts, and senility.

I think its a combination of both regarding scheme vs. Russ being at fault. One play sticks out in particular - Seattle dialed up a "mesh" concept pass that got open. Russ rolled out and should have been able to see it, but he just kept rolling. Can't find the video - will edit if I find it. It's true that Seattle runs an offense that lives and dies on the intermediate and deep shots, but they run a reasonable amount of concepts that should have guys open at different levels, and Russ just isn't a guy who takes the checkdowns. I think it makes the offense look a lot more disjointed than it actually is scheme-wise.

I wish I knew whether the primary blame for that lies on Russ having suboptimal processing in the scheme, Davis not identifying the problem and coaching to it, or Schottenheimer not adjusting to Russell's weaknesses and strengths... probably a bit of all 3. I hope they know this is an issue and devote time to it in the offseason.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1nfnpvt7 said:
Finally! Some good discussion on the x-and-o portions of the offensive woes instead of a bunch of conjecture about perfume, podcasts, and senility.

I think its a combination of both regarding scheme vs. Russ being at fault. One play sticks out in particular - Seattle dialed up a "mesh" concept pass that got open. Russ rolled out and should have been able to see it, but he just kept rolling. Can't find the video - will edit if I find it. It's true that Seattle runs an offense that lives and dies on the intermediate and deep shots, but they run a reasonable amount of concepts that should have guys open at different levels, and Russ just isn't a guy who takes the checkdowns. I think it makes the offense look a lot more disjointed than it actually is scheme-wise.

I agree. A lot of the talking heads say Russ completely ignored checkdowns at times and especially late in the year. They said russ was at fault for plenty of sacks as well. Some say Shotty runs basic schemes as well. Jake heaps before he got scared and deleted it on twitter said we ran same exact plays as last game vs rams.

getnasty

Reaction score
BASF":azky4ert said:
Being able to hit quick throws requires the offensive line to open passing windows. It is practically impossible to open passing windows when the defender you are supposed to move to a spot to open the window has already pushed you back into where your lane is supposed to be. That is on the line coach and the strength and conditioning coach.

The most frustrating part of watching us play these divisional games is it sure as hell seems that the opponents know exactly where the passing lane is supposed to be and they are rushing exactly into them. With the failure of the offensive line in fractions of a second, Wilson has to adjust immediately and the adjustments have not been there. The fact that the secondary and third read is almost always covered means one thing, the routes in the play call are not varied enough. That is on Schottenheimer.

Don't think it's the OL job to open up passing lanes. Can you imgine try to coordinate a shallow cross.

This is why teams perfer a taller QB so you can see over top a OL. I'm not saying Russell height is a problem.