Year end press conference

mistaowen

Reaction score
Lot of stuff coming fast in this, pretty hilarious how Pete seems to just want to bury his head in the sand and triple down on his philosophy. He's outright refusing to evolve and assess why they struggled.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1348693702907084802[/tweet]

Guess we're resetting again to establish the 2018 run with both starting RB's as free agents.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1348689325383315457[/tweet]

Schotty coming back, played big role in neutering Russell after his first 2 turnover spree ever. Looks like he's happy with how the offense finished the year.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1348695665828716545[/tweet]

Aware teams simply sat in cover 2 for last half of the year, did nothing to adjust. Prefer to win very close games as long as it means we don't throw an INT. Definitely not aware that the NFL has evolved on offense.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1348692852163842054[/tweet]

Won't announce any changes but reiterates Schotty will be back.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1348697072451477512[/tweet]

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
This is total garbage. I’m done with pete. That’s it. I’ve lost all respect for him. He’s losing this team and Judy Allen better wake up real quick.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
“Trust in Pete”....

:rumble:

So done with this shit. Yes it’s good, but I want GREAT. I’m willing to risk BAD for GREAT. People talk about the past, the past had no SBs so good was better than that. But now that this team has won one...why settle for just good? If our Hawks are not competing for a ring or building towards it...pointless other than money grab B level product. These Hawks to me are like live action remakes of Disney classic movies in the theater. Oh they’re fine...gonna make money but they’ll never be great...no risks taken. And no one will ever want to watch it more
Than once...

Mizak

Reaction score
The third tweet should piss a lot of 12’s off, especially Wilson fans.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
I will say - there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to run the ball better. The best teams in the playoffs run the ball well. My issue is Pete's scheme is so god damn basic that doubling down to run the ball with what we currently have isn't going to change anything. There's absolutely no creativity built into it. We will just see more run - run - pass with even less efficiency when 2nd and 9 is a 1 yard run. None of this fixes defenses simply sitting in cover 2 when IF a pass is called, it's double/triple covered down the sidelines. The entire scheme needs to be blown up and rather than digging deep into why it broke down, they just want to force it to work.

Another problem is there's zero money or draft picks to get the mauling offensive line needed to do this and our current roster is built to flourish in a more uptempo style. And has been since 2015 even with that 2018 reset.

Paying Russell 35+ million to go back to handing it off 25-30 times with a ceiling of 200 yards is also a clear issue. He said last year he wants to do more and was on a record setting pace to start. This is pretty obviously going to make him unhappy.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Dk and Jamal have unfollowed eachother. Chris unfollowed Russ and the Hawks. This is just the beginning. This presser is going to make a lot of Hawks unhappy. And we might lose Russ too. Pete isn't the answer anymore. He just isn't.

Momofantv

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Jamal will want to stick around after next year is insane, I’ll be surprised if he resigns this off season honestly.

We are going to lose either Russ or DK or Jamal due to Pete, it’s not an IF it’s a when

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete is no longer a good coach.

He was always terrible at Xs and Os but he made up for it with incredible jobs at roster improvement.

He is still improving the roster but he is such a liability at much of the other stuff it hardly matters.

The days of going to the playoffs regularly are probably over.

The 49ers have a much better staff and even losing their DC, they are probably going to own us when healthy.

The Rams pretty much already own us.

And the Cards are getting better, they don't have much more to go before they overtake us.

We have better players but the stuff we are good at, is the stuff Pete will do his best to squash.

I am very excited to hear we are going to run the ball more, after we are almost certain to release our best ball carrier. Not really.

Understand that Pete is too stupid or stubborn to build a philosophy around his best weapons (WR, TE, and QB) and instead is going to force a run first philosophy when we have no worthwhile starting RBs (I am going to laugh hysterically if it is Hyde. He sucks as a starter).

Even so, we are going to win enough regular season games with that stupid PeteBall philosophy that Carroll lifted from Ty Willingham. (Thanks again, Ty). But the playoffs are going to happen less and less, and be losses even when we get there.

We are on the downside of Carroll's career. He is old and ossified, dragging a potentially good QB into mediocrity with him.

Fun times. Still a Seahawk fan, but Carroll is going to get old fast. He is already old.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure how to reconcile this. Carroll's system can work if you have a dominate run game and dominate defense. It also helps protect the QB from being the most sacked QB in the league...

But it is inherently at odds with who Russ wants to be as QB. He wants to be on that Montana/Young/Manning, type level when it comes to his NFL legacy. I'm not sure if he can achieve that under this system (or another system for that matter).

They are going to have to figure this out during the offseason.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Maybe this is wishful thinking for Pete... and the organization will think differently and move on from him!

I mean, Philly just did the same to Pederson.

misfit

Reaction score
Pete on defense has always seemed to be able to mold his defense around the talent that he has. They found a way to maximize red bryant into a great fit on the dline, got the most our of corners that didnt do as well else where, never an issue. This team is clearly built to pass the ball, with probably the greatest pair of wrs this team has ever seen and one of the best duos in the leauge. And we're going to go back and act like its 2013 and Marshawn is here and Russ is still developing

braindead mentality

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson may not notice.

Wilson's camp will definitely notice and bring it to his attention.

After all the Russ Cook stuff, hearing we are going to cram a run game in with mediocre RB, in a division where another team does it MUCH better (49ers)...that probably isn't going to get him excited.

Pete is just trying to tread water, win as much as possible while knowing he has no chance at being anything but an also ran in this division. He is going to keep this team stubbornly focused on what Pete knows instead of well it has the roster to do well.

And after years of mediocrity, Pete will leave with a team that mortgaged all its draft picks and used most of its Elite level QB's prime years...to run the ball with RB that are not even top 3 backs.

That is the future. More of the same. Just worse outcomes and end results. Yay.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I mean.. by Pete’s Philosophy why not just constantly run out in jumbo set packages. Trade Russell, DK and Lockett to idk the Titans? For Tannehill and Henry.

Trade away Dissley for some no name TE that can only block.. trade Hollister for a FB.. or convert someone to fullback. Then trade Adams, Diggs, Wagner and KJ for Chubb. Then trade Meyers and a Dickson for Shaquon Barkley. Lol

That would be Pete’s dream. And the team would have plenty of cap space lol.

Remember Pete chose Penny of Chubb in the draft...

Pay only the Runningbacks and draft the defense screw it!

/Sarcasm.

Honestly I’m not surprised, his denial right now is no different than the SB, and it will fracture this offense just like it did the defense. Russ and DK (maybe Lockett) will find ways out. And when that happens, Pete will laughing his way to retirement, as then the team is left rebuilding.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson will always play good soldier.

But DK isn't going to care. He is going to realize he could be great but his coach is the problem.

And he is going to start saying it.

Watch. This will be fun.

We might not win as much but watching it all burn down, with DK calling Pete out regularly before they ship him off? That will be interesting. Wilson is loyal. DK knows the Hawks got lucky. He would have been good anywhere, and if they hold him back he is going to start chirping.

He is TO all over again. For good and bad.

We needed him for this.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
mistaowen":3j3ztmpc said:
I will say - there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to run the ball better. The best teams in the playoffs run the ball well. My issue is Pete's scheme is so god damn basic that doubling down to run the ball with what we currently have isn't going to change anything. There's absolutely no creativity built into it. We will just see more run - run - pass with even less efficiency when 2nd and 9 is a 1 yard run. None of this fixes defenses simply sitting in cover 2 when IF a pass is called, it's double/triple covered down the sidelines. The entire scheme needs to be blown up and rather than digging deep into why it broke down, they just want to force it to work.

Another problem is there's zero money or draft picks to get the mauling offensive line needed to do this and our current roster is built to flourish in a more uptempo style. And has been since 2015 even with that 2018 reset.

Paying Russell 35+ million to go back to handing it off 25-30 times with a ceiling of 200 yards is also a clear issue. He said last year he wants to do more and was on a record setting pace to start. This is pretty obviously going to make him unhappy.

I agree, but not necessarily with this part^. By the time CC had his 10th carry on Saturday, he had gained 66 yds. 10/66. Unfortunately that wasn't until late in the 3rd Q. He averaged better than Cam Akers, but Cam had more runs than the entire Seahawk team. LA averaged 3.8, we averaged 5.4 ypc.

I think how and when the running game manifests, and what the playbook looks like, needs work in order to be successful on a larger game-day scale, i.e. if we're going to run it 35X instead of 20X, then it needs to be more dynamic, less predictable to maintain the 4-5 ypc at scale.

But we were NOT inept at running the ball on Saturday. We were inept at throwing it.

misfit

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1hy870id said:
mistaowen":1hy870id said:

I agree, but not necessarily with this part^. By the time CC had his 10th carry on Saturday, he had gained 66 yds. 10/66. Unfortunately that wasn't until late in the 3rd Q. He averaged better than Cam Akers, but Cam had more runs than the entire Seahawk team. LA averaged 3.8, we averaged 5.4 ypc.

I think how and when the running game manifests, and what the playbook looks like, needs work in order to be successful on a larger game-day scale, i.e. if we're going to run it 35X instead of 20X, then it needs to be more dynamic, less predictable to maintain the 4-5 ypc at scale.

But we were NOT inept at running the ball on Saturday. We were inept at throwing it.

Our run game is not dynamic, never has been. We just had a dynamic runner in his prime for a while

JPatera76

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":qxs0lmwt said:
Wilson will always play good soldier.

But DK isn't going to care. He is going to realize he could be great but his coach is the problem.

And he is going to start saying it.

Watch. This will be fun.

We might not win as much but watching it all burn down, with DK calling Pete out regularly before they ship him off? That will be interesting. Wilson is loyal. DK knows the Hawks got lucky. He would have been good anywhere, and if they hold him back he is going to start chirping.

He is TO all over again. For good and bad.

We needed him for this.
And imo I have zero problems with it. Sometimes it takes 1 player to be vocal about the coaching to open the owners and others eyes, and they’ll either follow suit or we’ll see one of the best WRs we’ve had go bye bye. At which point me personally I’d have to rethink if I’d want to watch football. Because I can’t support another team, and I surely can’t sit by accept that our offense can be historically good but a coach refuses to just let it happen and is happier sabotaging his own team by relying on yes men in ropes such at the DC. PC, sounds like his age has caught up now and just rambles. He knows m, he got paid with his extension so who gives a shit. And that’s mostly his mindset imo.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
look at what happened in Pittsburgh. AB and Bell got laughed out of the building and pitt just got destroyed by the Browns after winning 11 in a row this season. Makes you wonder...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
To fix a problem, first you have to acknowledge it.

Pete refused to acknowledge any problems, so none will be fixed (see issues with offense after WFT).

The good news is the Eagles fired Doug Pederson. He has as many SuperBowl wins as Carroll and he did it with a lesser QB. He also beat Bill, something Carroll could never do.

Imagine what he could do with Wilson and this group?

If there was ever time to trade up from an aging washed up HC that no longer wins in the playoffs but is just content to tread water so long as we play his way? This would be the time.

I think Doug would do much more with Wilson than Pete ever did.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":u8ykw35i said:

I don't think we're inept at running the ball and I'm actually not down on Carson (except for his ability to stay on the field) at all.

The issue isn't that we aren't able to run it's that our game planning scheme usually lines up plays on first and second down that a three yard gain would reasonably be considered successful. The times it breaks for more than that is almost always due to individual effort of our RBs... but that's not a strategy. Hoping Carson is going to turn a three yard run into 9 is wishful thinking, not planning.

So we get our two plays for three yards and then we line up with an empty backfield (unless the D has been generating pressure, then we line up an RB for protection) and now everyone and their mother is aware we have to throw because it's third and 4 or longer.

It's such a bankrupt scheme but it's indicative of Pete's overall philosophy that we don't want to 'lose' the game early... but then he'll happily turn the ball over to Russell to fling it every which way in the 4th quarter because we've got not choice. We're turning away from small gambles in the first three quarters only to take massive ones in the 4th.

I'm perfectly happy with a offense that's going to be balanced between run and pass (which would be considered run heavy in today's NFL) but it's got to be one that's designed to get more yards on those first two plays because we can't convert on third to save our lives right now.