Last Post For The Season. See Y'all Next Season!

TypeSly

Reaction score
As a first-season member of .NET, I wanted to say thanks eveyone! I had a lot of fun discussing our Seahawks, and it just lead to more anticipation leading up to each and every game. I'll definitely be back for the start of the next one! On my other sports teams boards, I was more of a lurker and on this one, I found myself getting more involved in the talks which was cool.

I do have to day one thing about this board, and I think it's from all the consecutive years of winning and playoffs are almost a shoe-in for this organization... that this fan-base is definitely the most negative fan-base I've ever been a part of. Maybe me included, but I guess we're just too spoiled? Just comparing with the boards of the other teams I cheer for, no one here even cares about the major achievemnets, I guess because to everyone it's not major anymore. Like making the playoffs, is usually a cause for some celebration, especially winning the division! That hasn't been dome in 4 years, and that's another permanent banner to be proud of in our magnificent stadium! Sure, it was a bummer of a playoff game, but I hope maybe this early exit will make everyone appreciate the wins and the journey back a little more next season.

I haven't been on the board, haven't read a single post or thread since about halfway through the game, when I just had to leave the game-day threads. I just couldn't handle the negativity anymore, and it was making the game so much worse than it already was. Every time a negative play happened, or a score from the Rams, there was another 10 or 20 "I told you we sucked" and "This team is done" threads. :pukeface: The negativity pandemic here is worse than the Corona pandemic out there in the world. I can handle people being negative about plays that have happened but all the negative posts and thoughts about things that haven't even happened yet were killing me. I just couldn't take any more and seeing the thread titles here in this section too, I'm not about to click any threads until the new season. Anyways, it was a great season and I'll see y'all next season and I hope everyone comes back refreshed, and with a more positive outlook! :2thumbs:

PS - I probably won't even be clicking on this thread until I come back, because I'm too chicken to see the good bye and good riddens replies lol :mrgreen:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice post and you can count me in as a kindred spirit of sorts. I can take constructive criticism and good debate but the level of negativity on this site can be crippling to say the least. I think you are spot on. With all this success we've become entitled spoiled fans. We've lost our ability to be grateful for winning 10+ games every year and almost always being a lock for playoff football.

Seahawks football is supposed to be entertainment. Not something that adds to the already incredibly stressful atmosphere we are all enduring on a regional, national, global level. There's enough negativity in the world, I don't need to add to it by reading immature, reactive, emotional and sometimes vicious words from mostly grown men who are butt hurt.

I too will be taking a much needed break from the site. I do every off-season anyways. It's just good to get away from it all, rejuvenate and find the gratitude again for the blessings we do have.

Stay healthy and happy!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Outstanding post, and some great points. Taking a break is always a great idea.
Hard to just walk away when there is football to talk about. But, I couldn't agree more, it's just not that fun these days. You can't even joke around w/out someone blasting you, 734 Russ Sucks threads etc. It just kind of ran it's course.
More lurking, less posting for sure. There are a lot more important things in life. It's just a message board, even though it CAN be a great place to talk football at times. Taking a brain break from it is always a good thing. We all have our other releases that keep us sane during the off season. And shoot, it's 2020, and we didn't have a single game cancelled. That's something to appreciate. :irishdrinkers:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Is it negativity or catharsis?

It is a bummer to see good posters vanish, the whole point of the discourse is to get different perspectives.

But the negativity was valid. Going into the playoffs, we were a 12 win team playing like a 6 win team.

And for all the talk about the defense being 'fixed', we couldn't stop a one-dimensional team with half a QB in the playoffs. Norton did OK considering our offense, but it wasn't close to a top defense.

And the predilections that all of us were worried about, as Pete reverted to PeteBall nonsensicallly the closer we got to the playoffs, all reared their heads and bit us.

We had one of the worst playoff losses in the history of this franchise, losing to a team that when healthy is difficult to beat but should have been no challenge when hit by those injuries.

The negativity was warranted. It was more frustration knowing these issues were going to come up in the playoffs and nobody would do anything to fix.

But none of this was a surprise. The issues people were frustrated with kept happening and the trust Pete stuff didn't make sense.

Let's not pretend the frustration was unwarranted. There were clear signs we had a problem. We ignored them and everyone watching was just incredulous we let it continue.

We also traded a ton of future picks to go on in on the playoffs and immediately flamed out. The losing is one thing, but we put a lot of our future into a bet that made no sense with the problems we had.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":drfbafyu said:

It is a bummer to see good posters vanish, the whole point of the discourse is to get different perspectives.

But the negativity was valid. Going into the playoffs, we were a 12 win team playing like a 6 win team.

And for all the talk about the defense being 'fixed', we couldn't stop a one-dimensional team with half a QB in the playoffs. Norton did OK considering our offense, but it wasn't close to a top defense.

And the predilections that all of us were worried about, as Pete reverted to PeteBall nonsensicallly the closer we got to the playoffs, all reared their heads and bit us.

We had one of the worst playoff losses in the history of this franchise, losing to a team that when healthy is difficult to beat but should have been no challenge when hit by those injuries.

The negativity was warranted. It was more frustration knowing these issues were going to come up in the playoffs and nobody would do anything to fix.

But none of this was a surprise. The issues people were frustrated with kept happening and the trust Pete stuff didn't make sense.

Let's not pretend the frustration was unwarranted. There were clear signs we had a problem. We ignored them and everyone watching was just incredulous we let it continue.

We also traded a ton of future picks to go on in on the playoffs and immediately flamed out. The losing is one thing, but we put a lot of our future into a bet that made no sense with the problems we had.
:roll:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TwistedHusky":12fciiit said:

You're completely missing the point. I, and many others here, are fully aware of the issues and disappointments. We all saw what you and others saw. It's not that people are voicing their frustrations, that's what a forum is for. It's the depths of negativity that some choose to spew that is toxic and poisonous to a forum community. It's as bad as trolling to me. It completely alters the dynamic of a community, completely damaging and destructive to good discourse, forcing good members and posters to leave.

Petulance runs rampant on .NET whenever the team fails to perform up to expectations. THAT is what I cannot stand. I have no problem with fans voicing their displeasure and frustration, but there's a fine line that is too often crossed. It's palpable.

We demand such high expectations of our team. We should extend that paradigm to the community.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
I guess I will post again to explain a little further, as I think about it even more...

We're all spoiled fans, and this is an nod to the results and accomplishments of the Seattle Seahawks organization, ever since the Russell Wilson and the Cardiac Hawks era. This is a good spoiled because (especially in the more recent years), when we wished and hoped for something good to happen, much more often than not, good things did happen. I can hardly think of the Seahawks ever getting blown out in recent years, because even when we were down by multiple scores, and needed some sort of miralcle, those miracles often came. I think this is where the good and bad spoiled fans get separated.

Many of the more positive posters (like the .NET staff for example) remember the days when winning wasn't really associated with Seattle, and we always had to find the positives out of our games and seasons. These fans are still disappointed in the failures, but appreciate these winning times because they know that it isn't easy. And know that there is probably the eventuality that there will be dark days again in the future. So even with their inevitable higher expectations from the recent years of winning, and greater disappointments in the failures, they still relish in the wins and the fact that the Seahawks are still a very good team. Then, there are these other spoiled fans that have impossibly high expectations that expect almost perfection to be happy. Losses come with posts and threads of who the team needs to be rid of, and what changes should happen next to avoid this embarrassment. Wins come with "Finally..." or "See, I told you so" and they still focus on the losses that shouldn't have even happened.

The countless negative threads in the Game-day forums during the playoff game wasn't any different from the countless threads during the week before when the Seahawks were looking pretty hapless against the 49'ers, until late in the final regular season game. Countless posts of getting rid of Wilson and Carroll, all the way until the 4th quarter. What I couldn't stand was, when Wilson finally lead them to a comeback against SF, there was no praise or any appreciation of the Seahawks yet again, finding a way to come through when they had to. Instead, it was a steady stream of "If we play like this next week, we're toast" threads. Sure enough, in the Rams game, starting from the 1st quarter, there were the same posters predicting our doom, even when it was still 6-3! I don't get it... How many countless times have we seen the Wilson and the Seahawks get 2 or 3 scores in the blink of any eye, including the one just a week ago?? I was frustrated watching the game (like everyone else), but I just couldn't keep trying to be positive and defending the players in the countless negative threads, and I had to leave. I posted that I would be be back after the game, after the Hawks came back to win... and of course we know that didn't happen. When I checked in and saw the countless more negative threads, I just couldn't do it.

In the end, I just wanted to say: Boy, was this season a struggle this season was, with everything that the Seahawks went through and had to endure... yet, they were 12-4 and division champs! By the way the fans treated them you would think that they were 12-0, and lost the last 4 games horribly! On the contrary, they had won the last 4 games and were coming into the playoffs relatively healthy for the first time all season. Yes, this is what made the result even more disappointing, but hey, this is the NFL playoffs, where you only get one game. Sometimes, things don't go our way, and this time it didn't. Just be grateful that we were one of a handful of teams that made the playoffs, and at least we had a chance! So enjoy the off-season everybody! And let's come back with a more positive mindset, because at this point, we don't even know what the team will even look like when the next season rolls around. Who knows, y'all might be clamouring for the team and the season we had this year. ;)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Have a good break to all those who are doing so..I understand and have done
so myself over the years..Game day forum there is a tornado of emotions ha ha
I left that for a long time but I don't let it bother me anymore these days.
I noticed a lot of new posters who know football so Wen has the site going well.
Happy New Year..Go Hawks!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
TypeSly":3id4nuxp said:
I guess I will post again to explain a little further, as I think about it even more...

We're all spoiled fans, and this is an nod to the results and accomplishments of the Seattle Seahawks organization, ever since the Russell Wilson and the Cardiac Hawks era. This is a good spoiled because (especially in the more recent years), when we wished and hoped for something good to happen, much more often than not, good things did happen. I can hardly think of the Seahawks ever getting blown out in recent years, because even when we were down by multiple scores, and needed some sort of miralcle, those miracles often came. I think this is where the good and bad spoiled fans get separated.

Many of the more positive posters (like the .NET staff for example) remember the days when winning wasn't really associated with Seattle, and we always had to find the positives out of our games and seasons. These fans are still disappointed in the failures, but appreciate these winning times because they know that it isn't easy. And know that there is probably the eventuality that there will be dark days again in the future. So even with their inevitable higher expectations from the recent years of winning, and greater disappointments in the failures, they still relish in the wins and the fact that the Seahawks are still a very good team. Then, there are these other spoiled fans that have impossibly high expectations that expect almost perfection to be happy. Losses come with posts and threads of who the team needs to be rid of, and what changes should happen next to avoid this embarrassment. Wins come with "Finally..." or "See, I told you so" and they still focus on the losses that shouldn't have even happened.

The countless negative threads in the Game-day forums during the playoff game wasn't any different from the countless threads during the week before when the Seahawks were looking pretty hapless against the 49'ers, until late in the final regular season game. Countless posts of getting rid of Wilson and Carroll, all the way until the 4th quarter. What I couldn't stand was, when Wilson finally lead them to a comeback against SF, there was no praise or any appreciation of the Seahawks yet again, finding a way to come through when they had to. Instead, it was a steady stream of "If we play like this next week, we're toast" threads. Sure enough, in the Rams game, starting from the 1st quarter, there were the same posters predicting our doom, even when it was still 6-3! I don't get it... How many countless times have we seen the Wilson and the Seahawks get 2 or 3 scores in the blink of any eye, including the one just a week ago?? I was frustrated watching the game (like everyone else), but I just couldn't keep trying to be positive and defending the players in the countless negative threads, and I had to leave. I posted that I would be be back after the game, after the Hawks came back to win... and of course we know that didn't happen. When I checked in and saw the countless more negative threads, I just couldn't do it.

In the end, I just wanted to say: Boy, was this season a struggle this season was, with everything that the Seahawks went through and had to endure... yet, they were 12-4 and division champs! By the way the fans treated them you would think that they were 12-0, and lost the last 4 games horribly! On the contrary, they had won the last 4 games and were coming into the playoffs relatively healthy for the first time all season. Yes, this is what made the result even more disappointing, but hey, this is the NFL playoffs, where you only get one game. Sometimes, things don't go our way, and this time it didn't. Just be grateful that we were one of a handful of teams that made the playoffs, and at least we had a chance! So enjoy the off-season everybody! And let's come back with a more positive mindset, because at this point, we don't even know what the team will even look like when the next season rolls around. Who knows, y'all might be clamouring for the team and the season we had this year. ;)

Hope you and Aros will have a pleasant break. I'll be here paying attention to the preparations for next year and hoping for improvement. I guess, like it or not, pot stirring clickbait is part of every message board. It's mainly back to horse racing Jan 22nd for me.