Russ regressing

HawkerD

Reaction score
After watching a couple of weekends of playoff football it is becoming obvious that Russ is regressing and is no longer a top 5 QB and maybe out of the top 10. This is likely due to a combination of factors, not the least of which is the offensive scheme. This is a current observation and isn't based on past performance.

Russ has slowed down in his decision making as well as his ability to evade sacks. For some reason he is holding on to the ball for a long time resulting in minus plays even when the protection is not terrible.

I have never been a basher of his height but it undoubtedly a handicap. There is no way to argue against that. Previously he had made up for that with other attributes but those attributes have diminished.

He can probably Take a team to the SB but he will need more pieces and a better scheme to do it

PNW

Reaction score
I definitely think it’s possible for him to still take us to the Super Bowl if he takes a restructured contract allowing for better pieces to be put around him on both sides of the ball.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Gee, nice to have fresh topic that hasn't been discussed over and over again.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TreeRon":plffpvdb said:
Gee, nice to have fresh topic that hasn't been discussed over and over again.

Sigh. No kidding. :34853_doh:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":26l9eoql said:
After watching a couple of weekends of playoff football it is becoming obvious that Russ is regressing and is no longer a top 5 QB and maybe out of the top 10. This is likely due to a combination of factors, not the least of which is the offensive scheme. This is a current observation and isn't based on past performance.

Russ has slowed down in his decision making as well as his ability to evade sacks. For some reason he is holding on to the ball for a long time resulting in minus plays even when the protection is not terrible.

I have never been a basher of his height but it undoubtedly a handicap. There is no way to argue against that. Previously he had made up for that with other attributes but those attributes have diminished.

He can probably Take a team to the SB but he will need more pieces and a better scheme to do it
More pieces?Like Mahomes has?But will not have once his Monster cap guzzling contract
kicks in just like RW's did.
Better scheme is good but it will require RW to learn to do things better such as throwing
a good short ball with speed,passing quicker without hesitation,reading defenses better
and checking down to other WR options(taking what the defense is giving)
He is getting old leg wise and I don't know if an old dog can do new tricks but we can hope.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
PNW":1cmf572a said:
I definitely think it’s possible for him to still take us to the Super Bowl if he takes a restructured contract allowing for better pieces to be put around him on both sides of the ball.
I think he will need to do that esp if the cap goes down. But I also think he isn’t that type of player. He will want to be paid the highest or near the highest player at his time of contract. He isn’t about to let millions go so I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkerD":300priy2 said:
After watching a couple of weekends of playoff football it is becoming obvious that Russ is regressing and is no longer a top 5 QB and maybe out of the top 10......

Go back and watch the first 6-7 games. He didn't just lose talent one week! :177692:

The high turnover rate and Pete getting pissed off and saying "I don't even recognise this offense" put the question of doubt in his mind and had him 2nd guessing to the point of failure.

There is a very fine line in the NFL between risk, reward, and over caution to the point of failure.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Seymour":3epo8xbl said:
HawkerD":3epo8xbl said:
After watching a couple of weekends of playoff football it is becoming obvious that Russ is regressing and is no longer a top 5 QB and maybe out of the top 10......

Go back and watch the first 6-7 games. He didn't just lose talent one week! :177692:

The high turnover rate and Pete getting pissed off and saying "I don't even recognise this offense" put the question of doubt in his mind and had him 2nd guessing to the point of failure.

There is a very fine line in the NFL between risk, reward, and over caution to the point of failure.

Definitely right but have they ever gave Russ the the help to take it to the next level? I don't think he's regressing I think he's playing the same ball he has for the pass 4 years, Take a look at the way the QB's are getting the ball to their receivers Russ seems to have to have them wide open instead of a step on the receiver is open. I hope they get him some coaching this year because it seems they just count on his raw talent.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
HawkerD":351irqno said:
t Russ has slowed down in his decision making as well as his ability to evade sacks. For some reason he is holding on to the ball for a long time resulting in minus plays even when the protection is not terrible.

Drew Brees is 1 in taller then Russ do you think it's a handicap for him?

strohmin

Reaction score
I think Pete is the one who is ruining Russ. After hearing how pete was arguing with Schotty about a play, I believe this sort of stuff was happening the whole season throwing Russ off each game without letting him get into a groove. I was in the boat of blaming Russ but I definitely think Pete is the one that is regressing and dragging Russ down with him.

5thgen

Reaction score
Russ is only 32 - far from being old. He has other priorities these days and fb is not top on his list.

John63

Reaction score
strohmin":3hbooxwy said:
I think Pete is the one who is ruining Russ. After hearing how pete was arguing with Schotty about a play, I believe this sort of stuff was happening the whole season throwing Russ off each game without letting him get into a groove. I was in the boat of blaming Russ but I definitely think Pete is the one that is regressing and dragging Russ down with him.

Exactly. The funny part is his so called regression includes career highs I. Conolt%, yards, and tds despite his team having 27 thats right 27 drops. And 5 of his ints were do to drops

Scorpion05

Reaction score
This obsession, almost relentless dedication to bashing Russ on this forum is exhausting. And far worse than the few Russ defenders who push back.

Since wildcard weekend, the following notable QBs have played:

- Patrick Mahomes
- Aaron Rodgers
- Tom Brady
- Drew Brees
- Jared Goff
- Josh Allen
- Ryan Tannehill

Outside of Rodgers, who I would argue was outplayed by Goff for most of the game...which QB lit it up?

Some of the almost interceptions, missed throws, etc. I’ve seen since last weekend, you would rip RW to shreds. It confirms my belief that RW is treated like garbage unless he is playing lights out every week.

Even the game Rodgers had yesterday, I can’t help but think what several of you would be saying if RW was assisted by 170 rushing yards. You’d be saying something like “RW needs a run game and that’s why he played well.” Even if RW has played exactly like Rodgers. It’s never enough. If he has a good defense, a good running game you diminish him. If he plays well, there’s always a “yea but.” There has been an argument about how good RW is EVERY YEAR on this forum, and that is abnormal given the history.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Scorpion05":255z1edb said:
This obsession, almost relentless dedication to bashing Russ on this forum is exhausting. And far worse than the few Russ defenders who push back.

Since wildcard weekend, the following notable QBs have played:

- Patrick Mahomes
- Aaron Rodgers
- Tom Brady
- Drew Brees
- Jared Goff
- Josh Allen
- Ryan Tannehill

Outside of Rodgers, who I would argue was outplayed by Goff for most of the game...which QB lit it up?

Some of the almost interceptions, missed throws, etc. I’ve seen since last weekend, you would rip RW to shreds. It confirms my belief that RW is treated like garbage unless he is playing lights out every week.

Even the game Rodgers had yesterday, I can’t help but think what several of you would be saying if RW was assisted by 170 rushing yards. You’d be saying something like “RW needs a run game and that’s why he played well.” Even if RW has played exactly like Rodgers. It’s never enough. If he has a good defense, a good running game you diminish him. If he plays well, there’s always a “yea but.” There has been an argument about how good RW is EVERY YEAR on this forum, and that is abnormal given the history.

I think what people want out of Rus,is consistency. Which,is one thing we really havent gotten from him.
We've all seen how he CAN perform at any given time.

PNW

Reaction score
One thing I’ll say about Russ is he definitely has been the most durable QB since he’s been in the league, that definitely counts for something. If he can consistently hit the short passes and take what elite defenses give him I think he’ll turn a corner. Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes make you pay if you try to blitz or sit in 2 deep zone. They take over games and can audible into formations that strike the defenses weaknesses.

John63

Reaction score
PNW":160z7qdm said:
One thing I’ll say about Russ is he definitely has been the most durable QB since he’s been in the league, that definitely counts for something. If he can consistently hit the short passes and take what elite defenses give him I think he’ll turn a corner. Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes make you pay if you try to blitz or sit in 2 deep zone. They take over games and can audible into formations that strike the defenses weaknesses.

Yeah i mean we have never seen Wilson do that. OH wait we have.

PNW

Reaction score
Occasionally maybe, but not consistently.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I have thought Russ at times holds onto the ball longer than he should.

But the disappointing results of this year is a collection of failures.

It is difficult to pinpoint one or two exact reasons why especially in offense why this year (second half) stalled so bad.

The players were bad, the scheme was bad, the coaching, defenses were real good, etc. Seattle just needs to recognize that they are not as good as they believes themselves to be, coaching included.

Since there is no changing Carroll, Carroll has to put all his chips in improving the offensive and defensive lines, because his philosophy will not change, the only variable he can change and hope it gets better are the lines in between.

Then if that improves and Wilson is still hesitating, then you know it is a Wilson problem.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
So this trigonometry guy has about the best take I've seen on Russ, holding the ball, and being short.

TLDR- now that russ isn't being flushed out of the pocket or running rpo his 5'7" eye level prevents him from physically seeing anyone behind a 6'4" line within a certain needed yardage and also requires he drops way back to spot people.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/andref1989/status/1349066045403893760?s=20[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/andref1989/status/1349066045403893760?s=20