Would you rather

Would you rather have Russ or a Championship?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, do whatever it takes.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I'm so confused?

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

nwHawk

Reaction score
Seeing Tom Brady leave the Patriots and lead the Bucs to the playoffs makes me think, would I trade Russ for another championship if I knew the Seahawks would be doomed to suck for a few years afterward rather than winning 10 (+/-) games a year? So, I pose the question to you? What would you do? The ultimate question is, how bad do you want to win? Is winning the Bowl the most important goal?

Reaction score
I'll take the championship without second thought. No amount of 10+ win seasons could make up for a title and as much as I like Russ, loyalty to him or any other player for that matter, is never above organizational success.

getnasty

Reaction score
Anything other then a Superbowl win feels like a failure to me at this point so i'll take the Superbowl.

Forthewin

Reaction score
^^^^ Spot on! However I could sleep well just getting to the Super Bowl. What happens, happens at that point. We just found out 10+ wins gets half of the fans calling for massive firings and wanting to ship off the best players. 10+ wins makes for a fun season though.

xray

Reaction score
When Wilson was rewarded his fat contact , the chances of another SB ring got much slimmer . Then and now I would take a ring over any over paid player . It's all about available $ and Wilson's pay grade makes it difficult to field a championship team . IMO

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I don't care who the players are. I just want the Seahawks to win.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
The question really is what are you willing to do to win another championship? If you are open minded about changing things to push for another championship without the struggle of being attached to players then there is a chance. Russell Wilson is always going to have a target on him, that’s what a $35 million dollar contract creates.

I look at all of the free agents this off-season and wonder how do the Seahawks get better, or even just stay the same without any money? Seattle is one of only 4 teams to make the playoffs the past three straight seasons, so that tells you it’s hard to stay at the top. I feel like the Hawks went all in in 2020, and now may have to make some major changes to make another serious SuperBowl run. Anyone with a top heavy contract should be worried.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This plays too much into "if the Seahawks just did 'this' they'd win Super Bowls!". The reality is, they most likely won't, no matter what. Even with the greatest QB/coach combo of all time, the Patriots still didn't win that many. They went nearly 10 years between Super Bowl wins. Six out of 19 seaons with the best run of all time? It's hard.

If you get rid of Pete Carroll or Russell Wilson, you are more likely to be in a general team funk or QB hell for many years. The Bears are still looking for a good QB that will be good from year to year, they haven't had one since Sid Luckman. If you don't know how long ago that was, Luckman's last year for Chicago was three years before Dwight Eisenhower was President. And Eisenhower died the same year as the first US moon landing. When they've had everything else going for them the QB position has absolutely screwed them when it mattered.

The Seahawks are positioned to make a good run if things line up properly. Carroll has is negatives, and so does Wilson (including the cost of carrying a non-rookie good QB salary; even if you go to the lower cost guys you only save about $10 million). But we've seen a good QB absolutely waste away in Detroit because they can't get other things lined up, we've seen teams like Jacksonville field absolutely insane teams except for the QB position, and it's constant misery and burnout.

I'll take the Carroll/Wilson setup as it is now, because they are a competitive team and actually have a shot at a SB if things line up. The options I don't like are the high-risk massive change where the team just has to get absolutely lucky not to suck (new innovative coach!, "just draft a good rookie QB!"). We have much better chance of being perpetually miserable for years (or even decades) like most teams than we do of this team winning another SB with those changes.

I'll take the competitive Carroll/Wilson situation with the negatives. Maybe I'm just too damaged from watching this team not win a playoff game for two decades, going a decade without being in one, and just having every season be a "maybe if these other teams do this the Seahawks could get a Wild Card" disappointment.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Brees is gonna retire with 1 ring, I have a feeling Rodgers will be the same. Mahomes will be the first top 3 paid qb to win a championship but this is year 1 of his contract and im sure that team will decline hard to the point even his greatness will not carry them to a championship.

If Russ will not restructure like Tom Brady (and i dont expect him or any top QB to) and you want a championship. You gotta let him go. Every QB not named Brady who has made the SB (and won it) in the last decade has been on a rookie contract or definitely NOT getting paid top 3 QB money. The only two exceptions are Matt Ryan who lost, and Foles was not a rookie but he wasnt getting paid top dollar either.

RW is a top 3 QB he deserves his money, but the salary cap is designed to hamstring your team when you pay and the only way to make it around that is excellent drafting...not average or even above average drafting...EXCELLENT drafting. And that's not something you can rely on. Nor has this team shown any of that in the last 7 years. How many players can the average NFL fan name drafted by the Seahawks in the last 7 years? like 3? 4 maybe?

If SB 49 did not play the way it did, it wouldve been possible to keep that team intact the locker room in tact and be making a run at the chip with Top 3 paid QB salary similar to Mahones right now before the eventual decline with a lot to show for it, but it is what it is. It sucks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not an easy question to answer because on one side, of course you would take a Championship over any one single player. However, losing someone of Russ' caliber could put the team right back to the 90's where they couldn't win consistently for years on end. It was an awful, brutal era to be a 12. Love him, like him or not, Russell Wilson will keep this team competitive and in the playoff/championship conversation as long as he suits up in Blue and Green. And there's something to be said about being able to enjoy winning football and playoffs - even if we don't make it all the way back - each and every year over the alternative which is being lucky to even have a winning season, let alone January football.

But to answer the black and white question, I would take championships over any particular one player.

LegendKiller

Reaction score
Bro,

Tom Brady didn't lead the Bucs to anything. He literally had to assemble the Avengers to get to where he's at. With the amount of Talent around him on both sides of the ball especially on offense and the coaching, it would be considered an epic FAILURE if he didn't make it to an AFCCG or the Superbowl.

Surround Russell Wilson with Mike Evans, Gronk, Godwin, Antonio brown, Brate, Jones and Fournette with better coaching and a solid defense and see how far he would go.

Tom Brady by himself on a team that lacked all the weapons he had today resulted in him struggling and getting bounced in the playoffs in the 2019 season.

Msfann

Reaction score
This poll says the Seahawks can't win another championship with him. its either keep him or win one.
I think Russ could dominate just as well as Rodgers in the correct system. Let hope the new OC will be creative do things right.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Tom Brady is the 14th highest paid QB this season, and Russ was #1. Money matters.

Why is this question important, well the difference between Brady’s contact and Russ is like adding Godwin, Antonio Brown, and Fournette. Or if you prefer, Brate, Jones and Godwin. Doesn’t matter if we like it or not, but the salary cap pie can only be cut up with so many slices. Hawks have to hit on cheap talent, or every system will struggle. That’s the nature of the salary cap.

Russ is at $31,000,000 (15.53% of cap), Brady $25 million, Brees $25 million, and Rodgers is making $21,642,000 (10.61% of cap) this year. https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Teams need a stud at QB, Russ has been a top tier quarterback, but there is a real reason the top paid QBs don’t win championships very often. Teams win championships. If the salary cap goes down things will get interesting.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
BEASTM0DE":1sab3a2z said:
Bro,

Tom Brady didn't lead the Bucs to anything. He literally had to assemble the Avengers to get to where he's at. With the amount of Talent around him on both sides of the ball especially on offense and the coaching, it would be considered an epic FAILURE if he didn't make it to an AFCCG or the Superbowl.

Surround Russell Wilson with Mike Evans, Gronk, Godwin, Antonio brown, Brate, Jones and Fournette with better coaching and a solid defense and see how far he would go.

Tom Brady by himself on a team that lacked all the weapons he had today resulted in him struggling and getting bounced in the playoffs in the 2019 season.

All that and it still took a 4 turnover game from the Saints, and three of them were total screw ups by the offense...more or less unforced errors.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
nwHawk":1yysjny1 said:
Seeing Tom Brady leave the Patriots and lead the Bucs to the playoffs makes me think, would I trade Russ for another championship if I knew the Seahawks would be doomed to suck for a few years afterward rather than winning 10 (+/-) games a year? So, I pose the question to you? What would you do? The ultimate question is, how bad do you want to win? Is winning the Bowl the most important goal?

That's no fun to have a guaranteed championship. Stick with Russ, lets see if they can get it done their way.