seabowl

Reaction score
I thought he retired last year. :sarcasm_on:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We all knew he was done before he did.

James in PA

Reaction score
Don’t know how we’re going to recover from that loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Greg: “I’m going to retire.”
PC: “ Want an extra $6.9 million? No need to even come to camp because there won’t be one”
Greg: “Uh, sure”

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's my opinion. The only reason Olsen became a Seahawk was because the FO wanted to pacify Russell in some fashion when he was mentioning the need for some "super stars" on offense. Knowing full well Olsen was at the end of his career, they still brought him in to please Russ since there really wasn't anyone else out there at the time that would make any kind of fiscal sense. Again, just my take but that's how I see it.

Maybe I am being too sensitive and it's entirely likely, but I was watching him on the FOX pregame shows today and I swear he threw some shade our direction when talking about his final campaign with us. I could be reading it wrong, maybe he was talking about himself and his lack of stats in the final season but he mentioned how he was clearly wrong about the one more year thing. He specifically talked about how hard it is for a TE to try to learn new routes when he's been used to the same routes and concepts for years...

Not once did I hear about how good the Seahawks were or could have been, or playing with Russ was cool, or whatever...He shrugged the whole season off as a mistake. Just rubbed me the wrong way and cements my feelings I already had which was that he was a worthless addition in 2020.

Aka Jerry Rice, aka Franco Harris, et al...

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
He was brought in to be a veteran presence with Dissly and Parkinson having injury concern. His talent was supposed to give Russ a reliable check down and he was to an extent. Of his 24 catches 16 were for 1st downs. They over paid a bit but at the time of the signing they didn’t have many options.

Forthewin

Reaction score
I had high expectations, but I think he probably tought the young TEs a ton and that should pay off long term.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Olsen contract wasn't that bad even with the benefit of hindsight. His 2020 valuation was 3.6m based on his stats and his cap hit was 7m, so at first glance that looks like a 2x overpay. There are a few mitigating factors, however.

We probably overpaid a little based on his reputation and leadership qualities. He only played in 10 full games. The 437 snaps he did take helped keep the rest of our TE room healthy; that was important after we lost basically the entire TE room in 2019.

Most importantly though, our other TEs also had a bit of down year based on talent and expectations, and our offense struggled to complete passes over the middle to anybody. Will Dissly played 32 snaps in the playoff game and had two targets for 1 yard. That suggests to me that the problem was perhaps less about Greg Olsen specifically, and more a failure of the entire offense to use our TEs effectively.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree our TE's were simply not used to their capacity. It was quite bewildering actually and may in part be the reason Schotty is no longer an employee with the Seahawks. However, I still can't quantify the reasoning to spend money on Olsen, someone who was clearly at the end of his career. Hell, if you want him to mentor the other TE's hire him as a consultant, not someone taking up a valuable roster spot.

He just never felt like a Seahawk from the start.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
A slight overpay with way the deal worked.. anyone flaming should blast the OC and scheme for not using a solid TE core.. oh wait

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2udktmel said:
pittpnthrs":2udktmel said:
Thanks for your contribution *sarcasm*

You're welcome. Way better than what you contribute. *not sarcasm, just truth*

Lol. So how or why are you defending an injury prone, dinosaur of a TE that was criminally overpaid and did absolutely nothing for the team, or was it just a personal attack by you and not about Olsen at all?

James in PA

Reaction score
I could just tell during his preseason zoom meeting that Olsen didn’t have much left in the tank.
1ea34f83792a0b8c8b6e691ae01aeaaf