Metcalf Calls Out Carroll

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1353854771338219520[/tweet]

A9TpuJR

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't really know what DK is getting at here. There were tons of short and intermediate options called that were left unthrown. The rushing split wasn't outrageously high by any means, either. Only tenth highest # of play action plays called, and the top-10 is full of good offenses. Surely, DK isn't criticizing going deep, seeing as that's basically the reason he's a star?

In before the predictable overreactions come in, I guess.

Momofantv

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1t2uqmml said:
I don't really know what DK is getting at here. There were tons of short and intermediate options called that were left unthrown. The rushing split wasn't outrageously high by any means, either. Only tenth highest # of play action plays called, and the top-10 is full of good offenses. Surely, DK isn't criticizing going deep, seeing as that's basically the reason he's a star?

Aren’t you the same one who said Tampa wasn’t good?

3-2-16-4-6

Reaction score
Does he mention Carroll at all? Pete himself noted the cover 2 they faced the second half and defenses figuring them out. How is this any different? I don’t see DK as blaming Pete as much as he is telling the truth that the Hawks became entirely too predictable and that is the truth. It’s not like he called out Pete directly so it’s a little misleading.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bucsfantv":3mnqwlcb said:
Maelstrom787":3mnqwlcb said:

Aren’t you the same ONE who said Tampa wasn’t good?

Your absolute inability to conduct yourself with basic decorum is concerning, and you should seek help.

Anyway, no. Your contention was that they'd win because they signed Antonio Brown, which was a stupid thing. My contention was that Antonio Brown joining them was not a transformative move for their offense because their receiving core was already stacked from 1 to 3 on the depth chart.

AB didn't play in the NFCCG, and they looked fine and won. So, yeah, point proven for me I guess.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
DK is just stating the obvious, and what even the average fan can see watching the game at home

irfuben32

Reaction score
I like that he has a good perspective on things.

It still absolutely boggles my mind that cover 2 shut this offense down.

They couldn't adjust to teams playing 2 deep safeties?

High School coaches can make IN GAME adjustments to cover 2 defense. These guys couldn't figure it out over a several month period?

BASF

Reaction score
irfuben32":2wu86p27 said:

High School coaches can make IN GAME adjustments to cover 2 defense. These guys couldn't figure it out over a several month period?

Which is exactly why Russell Wilson got Brian Schottenheimer fired. Plays were called that had short and intermediate routes open, but Wilson did not take them. He was almost always looking to go deep against cover two.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3du8032b said:

This has been explained ad-nauseam by NFL analysts, including Sam Gold.

Russ' reads are to go long first, then short. Team has never been a dink and dunk coach. You're asking the offense to do something it has only done under Carrol when Wilson is injured.

Also, Schotty's formation was extremely predictable and easy to defend. Teams could double DK and shift most of the defense towards the other side in the shotgun trips formation. DK's point is we threatened with the run, and prioritized throwing it deep. We played as if DK and Russ could dominate defenses with the deep ball no matter what. That simply didn't happen against better defenses.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
BASF":1tdlck8t said:
irfuben32":1tdlck8t said:

Which is exactly why Russell Wilson got Brian Schottenheimer fired. Plays were called that had short and intermediate routes open, but Wilson did not take them. Pete does not like dink and dunk and coaches the offense to go deep against cover two.

Fixed it for you. For Pete, the run game was always a replacement for the short passing game. He even said in his press conferences, that we have to run teams out of two-deep looks.

Pete has literally given you all every hint and clue in the book how he wants the offense run, how he wants Wilson's reads to be and you're all expecting this methodical, Josh McDaniel like offense. It's bizarre.

BASF

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2aqpizw6 said:
BASF":2aqpizw6 said:
irfuben32":2aqpizw6 said:

Which is exactly why Russell Wilson got Brian Schottenheimer fired. Plays were called that had short and intermediate routes open, but Wilson did not take them. Pete does not like dink and dunk and coaches the offense to go deep against cover two.

Fixed it for you. For Pete, the run game was always a replacement for the short passing game. He even said in his press conferences, that we have to run teams out of two-deep looks.

Pete has literally given you all every hint and clue in the book how he wants the offense run, how he wants Wilson's reads to be and you're all expecting this methodical, Josh McDaniel like offense. It's bizarre.

If it is as the anti-Pete posters suggest, there would be no reason at all to have routes in those areas, but there are. The players are open and it is Wilson who is not throwing to them. They may be the third, fourth and fifth read, but a nine year future hall of fame quarterback has to take those open receivers. The supposition that Russell Wilson is so enamored with Pete that he will not throw to these open receivers because Pete is telling him not to is ridiculous.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
BASF":331tpomh said:
Scorpion05":331tpomh said:
BASF":331tpomh said:
irfuben32":331tpomh said:

If it is as the anti-Pete posters suggest, there would be no reason at all to have routes in those areas, but there are. The players are open and it is Wilson who is not throwing to them. They may be the third, fourth and fifth read, but a nine year future hall of fame quarterback has to take those open receivers. The supposition that Russell Wilson is so enamored with Pete that he will not throw to these open receivers because Pete is telling him not to is ridiculous.

It's beyond ridiculous. As much as posters want to immediately correlate rushing with losing, it just isn't the case - and if Russ continues to look off anything below the intermediate range, the rushing game is the ONLY remaining option to keep the chains moving somewhat reliably.

It'll be interesting to see what the new OC draws up.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":5uwdond9 said:
BASF":5uwdond9 said:
Scorpion05":5uwdond9 said:
BASF":5uwdond9 said:

It's beyond ridiculous. As much as posters want to immediately correlate rushing with losing, it just isn't the case - and if Russ continues to look off anything below the intermediate range, the rushing game is the ONLY remaining option to keep the chains moving somewhat reliably.

And yet not QB since PC arrival has throw short alot. None. So either all 3 of them are ignoring short routes or someone is telling them to. Also all 3 Qbs either in college or under other coaches have shown they can and do throw short.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3dfmsij7 said:
Maelstrom787":3dfmsij7 said:
BASF":3dfmsij7 said:
Scorpion05":3dfmsij7 said:

And yet not QB since PC arrival has throw short alot. None. So either all 3 of them are ignoring short routes or someone is telling them to. Also all 3 Qbs either in college or under other coaches have shown they can and do throw short.

There's a difference between not throwing short a lot and ignoring short and intermediate routes that have literally been called by the coaching staff. I'd disagree that Hasselbeck and Jackson were ignoring short routes like Russ tends to.

You seriously think they signed Matt Flynn because they wanted to bomb it and never throw the ball short/intermediate/over the middle? It's nonsense, man.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
BASF":2no49oab said:

I'm sure that there are several reasons why Russ did not see those "open" receivers....game after game. IMHO.....Russ was trampled so many times.....with tenths of a second to make those decisions....with so many long developing plays...
....he cannot think straight! PERIOD!! He needs a "Reset" this Winter. The new OC will hopefully be calling quicker developing plays.....behind a hopefully stronger Offensive Line. Hopefully, we will have Preseason games in 2021.
It will not take long for we, the fans, to evaluate the anticipated changes.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
This is more of an indictement on the oc to me more than anything else
If you have obvious weapons and cant figure out how to disguise them then what's the point
Any good college coach should be able to contain that , really
The adjustment is where the good separate themselves from the great and then the great go to the superb owl which we weren't obviously
My concern is will we ever get back there
The great teams are full of chemistry that works between coaches and team and front office
Will pete ever find that OC with chemistry like he and seemingly schneider have as far as OC goes
I'm very concerned about that as it could be the diffefrence between winning 11 games and another early out as opposed to 14 and a bye in the regular season
As far as DK's comments , I believe he's just stating fact so no shots fired or ill will as he knew other teams were on to them
After watching the chiefs beat the bill's this weekend , I'm very concerned we will get back to that kind of team
I just know if we take some retread OC like schotty even though he did good at times , then were gonna do this all over again and I don't really want that, we need the right puzzle piece for us not somebody else
I'd actually rather take a season or TWO of complete and utter suckatude than do that again , been there many many times myself
either way
GO Hawks

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Remember when hass had a really good year then a bad year as qb , it almost seemed like you could go by what he did previously to predict what was going to happen
I'd really like to keep getting better on an ascending line as opposed to what seemed like a mosh pit of coaches dueling for position than see this start to playout again
It's a love hate relationship sometimes when you feel like you have the players with the ability but have coaches battle it out I guess is what looks to always be the case for teams like us
Teams good enough to get there but not able to get over some invisible hump and coalesce into a real power like I got the feeling from reid and maholmes
Go Hawks

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... re-us-out/

“Teams just started to figure us out,” Metcalf told former NFL receiver Brandon Marshall on the I Am Athlete podcast. “We’ve been running deep pass, ever since Pete [Carroll] got there. Play-action. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, go deep. Teams just said, ‘We’re just not gonna let you all go deep.'”

Metcalf’s remarks suggest two things. First, he’s passing along a narrative he heard from someone whose presence on the team predates his. The 2019 second-round pick has picked up that characterization from one or more other Seahawks players, possibly including quarterback Russell Wilson. Second, it reflects an implicit frustration regarding the inability of the offense to counter the steps taken by the defense to neutralize an attack.

Metcalf, and presumably others on the team’s offense, believe things have been too simple, too easy to figure out, too unimaginative when it comes to getting the ball in the hands of playmakers, like Metcalf. And they’re not putting it on the offensive coordinator; they’re pointing a finger in the general direction of the head coach.

NJlargent

Reaction score
massari":1qtebnw2 said:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/dk-metcalf-on-seattles-offensive-struggles-teams-just-started-to-figure-us-out/

“Teams just started to figure us out,” Metcalf told former NFL receiver Brandon Marshall on the I Am Athlete podcast. “We’ve been running deep pass, ever since Pete [Carroll] got there. Play-action. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, go deep. Teams just said, ‘We’re just not gonna let you all go deep.'”

Metcalf’s remarks suggest two things. First, he’s passing along a narrative he heard from someone whose presence on the team predates his. The 2019 second-round pick has picked up that characterization from one or more other Seahawks players, possibly including quarterback Russell Wilson. Second, it reflects an implicit frustration regarding the inability of the offense to counter the steps taken by the defense to neutralize an attack.

Metcalf, and presumably others on the team’s offense, believe things have been too simple, too easy to figure out, too unimaginative when it comes to getting the ball in the hands of playmakers, like Metcalf. And they’re not putting it on the offensive coordinator; they’re pointing a finger in the general direction of the head coach.

It's an obvious dig at Carroll and he is right. But the response here will be to attack the source.