Shane Waldron Our New Offensive Coordinator

John63

Reaction score
BEASTM0DE":kegbf1tz said:
Per Adam Schefter, Seahawks hire passing game coach Shane Waldron as new Offensive Coordinator. What do you guys think? My first thought was, makes sense to hire the passing game coordinator when you want to run the ball more.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2100621

Just saw it, this tells me Wilson, DK and others got their point across to PC.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My. Number. 1. Pick.

I am ELATED.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/turbinsbicep/status/1353928580452020224[/tweet]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
BEASTM0DE":1eeejshx said:
Per Adam Schefter, Seahawks hire passing game coach Shane Waldron as new Offensive Coordinator. What do you guys think? My first thought was, makes sense to hire the passing game coordinator when you want to run the ball more.

Shane Waldron has coached every single position on offense other than running back. Offensive line, tight ends, quarterback, receivers. His experience as an OL coach likely makes him a fine candidate not only for a more efficient running game, but a tremendously varied pass scheme. Don't forget, this guy coached under McVay in Washington AND LA, and they pounded Gurley HARD.

No reason to think he'll be a liability in the architecture of a better running AND passing attack.

I'm expecting them to carry over about 70% of Schottenheimer's scheme, which included really effective deep routes and zone beaters. Where I'm expecting a new spin on things is adding a lot of lateral movement in the rushing game as well as a lot more sweep action in the passing game. The fundamentals of what Waldron would run if similar to McVay is already there, but the changes figure to space out boxes for easier rushes, open guys short, and take tons of pressure off of the offensive line.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":240o2v8x said:
BEASTM0DE":240o2v8x said:

Shane Waldron has coached every single position on offense other than running back. Offensive line, tight ends, quarterback. His experience as an OL coach likely makes him a fine candidate not only for a more efficient running game, but a tremendously varied pass scheme. Don't forget, this guy coached under McVay in Washington AND LA, and they pounded Gurley HARD.

No reason to think he'll be a liability in the architecture of a better running AND passing attack.

Man this is awesome. I just wanted a guy from a successful system that was going to bring in some up to date concepts. We got that, and took someone away from the Rams to boot. Hopefully he has some of that boy-genius McVay magic.

sutz

Reaction score
Now, after so many years of playing football can they train Russell to look short, medium, long sometimes instead of always looking long, medium, short?

Asking for a friend. :twisted:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":24q0drzs said:
Maelstrom787":24q0drzs said:
BEASTM0DE":24q0drzs said:

Shane Waldron has coached every single position on offense other than running back. Offensive line, tight ends, quarterback. His experience as an OL coach likely makes him a fine candidate not only for a more efficient running game, but a tremendously varied pass scheme. Don't forget, this guy coached under McVay in Washington AND LA, and they pounded Gurley HARD.

Man this is awesome. I just wanted a guy from a successful system that was going to bring in some up to date concepts. We got that, and took someone away from the Rams to boot. Hopefully he has some of that boy-genius McVay magic.

He's certainly intimately familiar with the scheme. It likely won't look exactly the same, but he's gonna bring over a lot of brand-new concepts that'll at the very least diversify the attack. I'd wager they're gonna improve considerably on third down, rush it a bit more (but with more sweep motion, etc.), and really open things up as far as keeping the opposing D off-balance.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Guys...

This is a consensus good hire.

Pete Carroll brought unity to Seahawks.net.

jmahon316

Reaction score
I hate it.

We couldn't hire anyone better?

Just kidding. Seemed like everyone felt mutual, wanted to go against the grain for a millisecond.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Probably like everyone here, I have been waiting for this post. From a quick look at wikipedia this will be his first gig as an OC. With all his TE coaching/playing experience, we may actually see that position used more, which would be great.
Optimistic :229031_victory:

James in PA

Reaction score
Helps us and hurts the Rams (our kryptonite) at the same time. Hell yeah! Great hire!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edogg23

Reaction score
Let’s hope Pete gets out of the way and let’s him do his thing.

Momofantv

Reaction score
Meh hire a dude who’s never called a player at any level with the rams passing attack that was awful without Kupp on the field.

Should have at least interviewed Buffalos dude

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Momofantv":28ui0i35 said:
Meh hire a dude who’s never called a player at any level with the rams passing attack that was awful without Kupp on the field.

Should have at least interviewed Buffalos dude

They did interview Dorsey... who doesn't call plays in Buffalo, and also has no experience as a playcaller.

Goff is a slightly better Blake Bortles. They got to a Super Bowl with him at quarterback by having a varied scheme that not only passes well but also works hand-in-hand with a good rushing attack that utilizes sweeps to great effect, spreading the box out. Now, he has a quarterback in Russell Wilson who is capable of great things in the deep passing realm.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Doesnt matter who gets hired. Carroll will neuter any scheme and run the offense his way as usual. Its going to be the same old snapping the ball with 1 second left on the play clock and throwing 50 yard bombs on 3rd and short.

chris98251

Reaction score
I said in another thread you could have Don Coryell hired and it would not matter if Pete says though shalt not pass, then we will get the same results.

Walden can use this promotion as a step up to a Head Coaching Job done right, or fade to black if handcuffed and he can't fight his way out of Pete's paper bag.