Shane Waldron approval rating poll

How much do you approve of Waldron being hired for OC?

• I hate the choice!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I'm not happy about the hire.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • I'm indifferent to the hire.

Votes: 48 32.4%
  • I'm pretty happy with Waldron.

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • I am PUMPED AND JACKED!

Votes: 27 18.2%

• Total voters

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This'll be good to gauge the mood of the board, and it'll be fun to come back to later.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I am pretty happy. I kinda wanted Doug Peterson as he is a proven commodity. But if we are going with an up and comer pulling from McVey's coaching tree is a good one, if we are looking to spice things up a bit.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3vkhwvq4 said:
I am pretty happy. I kinda wanted Doug Peterson as he is a proven commidity. Butnif we are going with an up and comer pulling from McVey's coaching tree is a good olave to start if we are looking to spice things up a bit.

Hard to get a SB winning coach who's not over the hill to take a step back and be a OC.

Anyway, I'm pumped and jacked. I'm imagining the McVay offense, but with a much better QB and a potential best WR in the league inserted in.

James in PA

Reaction score
This is what I said for the “hot names for the new OC” thread.

“At this point, I say get the dude from the Rams. Do I know anything about him? No. But he knows our division and has been with McVay for 4 years. Anything to hurt them would be nice. Maybe he’ll share the crabby patty secret formula with our staff.”

So, yes, I’m pretty excited. He was in my top 3 of guys the Hawks had a realistic shot at getting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Meh. Time will tell.

Rams passing attack stunk and Goff regressed tremendously.
However, as mentioned above, at least we'll have some insight into what makes Mcvay tick.

TwilightError

Reaction score
PUMPED and JACKED. Pete did not go for some old geezer with a fresh seventies approach for the running game. This is good news!

nwHawk

Reaction score
I'm interested. Seems like a great hire, but I hate that he comes from the Rams. He spent so much time with McVay between Washington and LA that it's fair to say McVay also knows how Shane thinks. Hopefully, the understudy saved a few tricks. Welcome young buck! Let's go kick some tail.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There were a lot of fans clamoring for a young creative guy who would develop the short passing game. Waldron ticks all of those boxes and this will be enormously popular in the short term other than with the doomers who would have talked themselves into disliking any selection.

I'm somewhat optimistic because at the least this should tell us a lot about whether our problems in the short passing game were scheme related this season or due to other issues. Hopefully Waldron has some good ideas about a running game coordinator, as I still think the effectiveness of our running game should be a major off-season focus.

W

Welshers

Love it. Pumped and jacked. A young guy from a modern NFL system. Seeing as hes a passing guy, it seems to me Russel had a say in this. He told Pete no way with Lynn or some yes man who will do nothing but pound the ball. And Pete listened.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Indifferent

I'm looking forward to the next hire 3 or 4 years from now when this one doesnt work out.

chris98251

Reaction score
We will see how much of a leash he has before I judge.

Don Coryell could be the OC and if Pete says though shalt not pass then it would not matter.

Reaction score
Pretty happy about this hire. Hopefully we get something new and different rather than the same bland, unimaginative offense we've seen the past few years. I'm guessing we'll see Wilson outside the pocket more like the Rams try to do with Goff.

AlbaHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":3n3r8pp6 said:
There were a lot of fans clamoring for a young creative guy who would develop the short passing game. Waldron ticks all of those boxes and this will be enormously popular in the short term other than with the doomers who would have talked themselves into disliking any selection.

I'm somewhat optimistic because at the least this should tell us a lot about whether our problems in the short passing game were scheme related this season or due to other issues. Hopefully Waldron has some good ideas about a running game coordinator, as I still think the effectiveness of our running game should be a major off-season focus.

For me this is the key to success next year.

We have a proven passing attack - 1st half of the season - but need to be 2 dimensional.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
chris98251":23l8pw81 said:
We will see how much of a leash he has before I judge.

Don Coryell could be the OC and if Pete says though shalt not pass then it would not matter.

My sentiments, too, and I don't see how this hire jives with Pete's run-first approach to offense.

Also, Waldron will be more challenged here, because the Rams have been deeper at WR than we've been. I'll put Lockett and Metcalf up with most starting WR duos around the league, but after that, our 3, 4, and 5 WRs have been, well, let's just say inconsistent.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's a bummer that we have to be worried that Pete will butt in again, but it's 100 percent a legit concern. A short passing game, movement and creativity? Imagine that.
Come on Pete, it's 2021, stubborn doesn't work any more. Just sayin...…..

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Honestly, never heard of him. But that's more on me than anything.

I like he's young and has fresh ideas. I like he comes from the McVay tree.

What concerns me, that offense has actually regressed pretty badly since their super bowl year.
Doesn't McVay do all the play calling? So this will be his first time calling plays?

Sea84hawks

Reaction score
This is hilarious.. He ain't changing anything when you have a QB that has so many limitations. Any magic way to get the wr wide open 30 yards deep?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Indifferent.

This team is still Carroll’s team so it will always look like Carroll’s offense no matter who is the offensive coordinator or not.

If Carroll wants to run more efficiently, he should have hired a previous run game coordinator to fill in this OC spot.

chris98251

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":nalxiklp said:
Indifferent.

This team is still Carroll’s team so it will always look like Carroll’s offense no matter who is the offensive coordinator or not.

If Carroll wants to run more efficiently, he should have hired a previous run game coordinator to fill in this OC spot.

Thats just his latest title, you all need to understand he has probably been a position coach for multiple positions also, you don't just walk in the league and be a OC without having that knowledge.

That means he needs to understand O line and Running concepts as well and what kind of players make the system they want to implement work.

Then communicate that to position coaches and players.