The Sky is the Limit

W

Welshers

With a new guy at OC I think this team has a chance at finally reaching its full potential next year. The fact that they hired a passing game coordinator (bonus for being from a innovative and successful system), shows me that Russ had a say in this. He told Pete he needs to cook and Pete said OK and brought in a passing guy. If this O gets clicking like it was at the beginning of the year and the D plays like it did at the end? We win the NFC, without a doubt. Tampa came out of the NFC this year and they are a very flawed team. It goes to prove that it's anyone's conference, and nobody is really improving next year.

Yes we are going to lose some guys due to the new cap, but we are actually less effected by it then most teams. The other teams will be losing guys as well. The Saints are likely into a rebuild. The Packers may be in some turmoil. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I am optimistic. Let's just hope Pete lets go of the reigns of the offense. I think he is starting to understand he needs to modernize his ways if he wants to win another ring. If Russ cooks for a full year we will be there in February

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Welshers":w03oogly said:
With a new guy at OC I think this team has a chance at finally reaching its full potential next year. The fact that they hired a passing game coordinator (bonus for being from a innovative and successful system), shows me that Russ had a say in this. He told Pete he needs to cook and Pete said OK and brought in a passing guy. If this O gets clicking like it was at the beginning of the year and the D plays like it did at the end? We win the NFC, without a doubt. Tampa came out of the NFC this year and they are a very flawed team. It goes to prove that it's anyone's conference, and nobody is really improving next year.

Yes we are going to lose some guys due to the new cap, but we are actually less effected by it then most teams. The other teams will be losing guys as well. The Saints are likely into a rebuild. The Packers may be in some turmoil. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I am optimistic. Let's just hope Pete lets go of the reigns of the offense. I think he is starting to understand he needs to modernize his ways if he wants to win another ring. If Russ cooks for a full year we will be there in February

I love your optimism and really hoping you’re right. At this point it’s one of those things where I’ll believe it when I see it. Our schedule is certainly packed with a lot of this-years playoff teams, though it’s hard to say what with all the turmoil going on just how difficult our schedule is. I do think it’ll be much more challenging than this year’s schedule was, especially from looking at our division and a healthy niners team. It’ll be a bloodbath imho and a 3-3 split with the division seems the best bet right now, putting our overall record probably at 11-5 which I don’t think will be good enough to win the NFC.

xray

Reaction score
Much tougher schedule next season . This season was the Hawks best shot for awhile IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We hear that they have a tough schedule every year. Only to see them win 10-12 games in the regular season.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21k4z9b2 said:
We hear that they have a tough schedule every year. Only to see them win 10-12 games in the regular season.

Go look at it again. The Hawks have to win the division again ; which won't be easy and maybe tougher next season .

AgentDib

Reaction score
How can you possibly know how tough next year's schedule looks at this point in the season. There are huge changes happening to half of the good teams in the league.

The "first place schedule" just means that we play the Saints and Redskins. Those could well end up being easier games than the 49ers "fourth place schedule" Falcons and Eagles matchups. The "second place schedule" Rams will probably end up with the hardest draw because both the Bucs and Giants are in a relatively strong position cap wise this off-season.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will have some serious personal issues. Our main pass rusher is ancient, our LT could fall off the cliff at any moment. He's going to start the season at 36 years old. Bobby Wagner still played really well but did not play up to his normal standards. Our line has nobody that we can build around, but our RG. Our running back situation is pretty dire at the moment. Carson and Penny are unreliable and our backups are situational runners. Our D-Line in general is not very strong, and we're going to potentially lose K.J Wright. Brooks is unlikely to play as good as KJ Wright did from the get go. He was good at setting the edge but his pass defense ratings were dreadful.

Many of the guys that our team is relying on are getting very old in NFL years, and most of them have no contingency policy. Our salary cap situation isn't in the best spot and we don't have much in the way of draft capital to deal with these problems. The offensive line in particular is very concerning. We have a line coach that seems to be able to make a mishmash of randoms work, but I'm not sure what we're going to do if Duane Brown's body decides to call it quits. Our offensive line is the weakest position on the team.

The issue is we don't have the resources at the moment to deal with all of these potential issues. Without Carlos Dunlap playing at a high level, this defense isn't very good, quite frankly. I think we missed our window of opportunity.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
xray":3p8zshiw said:
SoulfishHawk":3p8zshiw said:

Go look at it again. The Hawks have to win the division again ; which won't be easy and maybe tougher next season .

His point stands. We hear this almost every year, and Seattle continues to get double digit wins almost every year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny, I hear this same crap every year. The schedule is SOOOOO tough. Then they just roll to between 10-13 wins and punch another playoff ticket. They literally have missed the playoffs ONCE since Russ was drafted. Once.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":36gh88mu said:
Funny, I hear this same crap every year. The schedule is SOOOOO tough. Then they just roll to between 10-13 wins and punch another playoff ticket. They literally have missed the playoffs ONCE since Russ was drafted. Once.

But you guys are cool with the OP predicting us being a “guaranteed NFC champion” despite likewise zero deep playoff runs let alone championships; no voice of moderation from any of you.

Or are you planning to make a post about how “I hear the same crap every year, how we are going to win the NFC title and win the super bowl but we just end up getting destroyed early in the playoffs?”

You only care about playoff appearances. We get it already. Plenty of others care about more than that and are willing to talk about the team with that in mind and no amount of crusading on your part is going to change that so just relax already, your PC Pom poms are getting worn out.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
We have posted enviable W/L records the past two seasons. Can't deny that. But there is also no denying just how fragile those records are. Look at how many of those wins were achieved by a last ditch stop, or a miracle drive, or an improbable turnover. We could very easily have been on the short end of those records. If we can't find a way to improve we could very well hit the law of averages wall and find ourselves back in rebuilding mode.
Or maybe John and Pete and Russ are just that good and will keep finding a way to pull wins out of the hat. We're about to find out.
We've already spent our draft potential for a couple years. A lot of the guys we have been depending on are entering free agency. Our cap is very limited. Russ and Pete ain't getting any younger and neither are we.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You literally know nothing about me Hawaii. I've been plenty pissed off, and posted about it. While I appreciate the success of the team every year, 3 playoff wins in 6 years isn't good enough. Nor did I say that I'm happy with losing, that's just plain dumb. But feel free to assume how I feel. I'm never happy or content when they get knocked out of the playoffs. EVER.
Congrats though. You don't know me and how I feel about the failures in the playoffs, which are getting to be extremely frustrating under Pete.
But I'm also not going to just assume they are gonna' suck, or magically stop making the playoffs.
PC pom poms? I've been wanting him out for a couple years. It's time for a change.
Also, there is nothing wrong with someone having a positive outlook. Even if my OWN has changed to cautiously optimistic.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15jt6rq6 said:
You literally know nothing about me Hawaii. I've been plenty pissed off, and posted about it. While I appreciate the success of the team every year, 3 playoff wins in 6 years isn't good enough. Nor did I say that I'm happy with losing, that's just plain dumb. But feel free to assume how I feel. I'm never happy or content when they get knocked out of the playoffs. EVER.
Congrats though. You don't know me and how I feel about the failures in the playoffs, which are getting to be extremely frustrating under Pete.
But I'm also not going to just assume they are gonna' suck, or magically stop making the playoffs.
PC pom poms? I've been wanting him out for a couple years. It's time for a change.
Also, there is nothing wrong with someone having a positive outlook. Even if my OWN has changed to cautiously optimistic.
I’m with you on hoping for the best Soul. Being negative all the time sucks.

Over the past severs seasons we have seen Seattle make playoffs but get bounced out early on.

Some can even say, they expect Seattle to get bounced out based on the inconsistency of week to week.

One week they look like they can win the SuperBowl and one week they look like a .500 team.

It’s hard to remain optimistic about a Carroll team as I think we have seen evidence on his game plans and how we chooses to make changes.

Though being optimistic and hoping for the best is probably the best way to approach a season, I think just the constant disappointing games has reached a point with a lot of fans that maybe Seattle is incapable of turning the page with Carroll as the head coach.

I see and understand both sides, being supportive of Carroll and wanting Carroll out.

It does gives some sliver of hope especially with Wilson as QB and definitely comes with a lot of frustrations.

Here’s to hoping Carroll does in fact wins another SuperBowl in Seattle.

It’s not like I can fire him anyways.

Cheers!

chris98251

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":hs06uhib said:
SoulfishHawk":hs06uhib said:

Over the past severs seasons we have seen Seattle make playoffs but get bounced out early on.

Some can even say, they expect Seattle to get bounced out based on the inconsistency of week to week.

One week they look like they can win the SuperBowl and one week they look like a .500 team.

It’s hard to remain optimistic about a Carroll team as I think we have seen evidence on his game plans and how we chooses to make changes.

Though being optimistic and hoping for the best is probably the best way to approach a season, I think just the constant disappointing games has reached a point with a lot of fans that maybe Seattle is incapable of turning the page with Carroll as the head coach.

I see and understand both sides, being supportive of Carroll and wanting Carroll out.

It does gives some sliver of hope especially with Wilson as QB and definitely comes with a lot of frustrations.

Cheers!

If you were around when Bud Grant was Coaching the Vikings they had a similar issue with him and Tarkenton, Grant just didn't trust his QB to win and open up things. They at the time were a perennial playoff team as well, no cap so they had a vicious defense for years to help them out longer however.

They actually made 5 Super Bowls or maybe 4, but never won, they were predictable as well.

Pete takes a lot of his acumen from Grant, just with a Cap your window is much smaller, rather then a decade you have a couple years before roster churn can change your dynamics.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3b7pkbxw said:

There have been a ton of posts and posters shooting down every critique of our scheme, playcalling, philosophy, predictability, et al. In favor of their 1 dimensional line of thought, which is: we make the playoffs every year, at least we have a chance, we remember the days when it was so much worse, etc etc.

if you don’t count yourself in this group then great, but I’m personally really tired of seeing good discussions and posts where there’s nothing wrong with what the poster said or how they said it get called “crap” by someone who adds virtually nothing to the discussion, which is exactly what you did in this thread and haven’t even been consistent about, hence why I’m still waiting for you to shut down the OPs optimism on the same grounds you’re shutting down others’ pessimism.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
chris98251":o1vxsqn8 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":o1vxsqn8 said:
SoulfishHawk":o1vxsqn8 said:

Cheers!

If you were around when Bud Grant was Coaching the Vikings they had a similar issue with him and Tarkenton, Grant just didn't trust his QB to win and open up things. They at the time were a perennial playoff team as well, no cap so they had a vicious defense for years to help them out longer however.

They actually made 5 Super Bowls or maybe 4, but never won, they were predictable as well.

Pete takes a lot of his acumen from Grant, just with a Cap your window is much smaller, rather then a decade you have a couple years before roster churn can change your dynamics.
That makes a lot of sense.

Carroll is a defensive coach at heart and whole heartedly believes minimizing turnovers on offense (usually QB throws) and effectively running the ball, AND equipped with a top defense is a recipe for success.

However, this limits your options to implement a diverse game plan.

If Seattle does not effectively run the ball well, most likely Seattle does not win the game.

How Carroll responds to building a cohesive and talented group of offensive lineman (I really hope he can after all these years) and their ability to run the ball will be the deciding factor on how Seattle does next year and as long as Carroll remains head coach.

Cause like you said, he has adopted Grants acumen and this will not change any time soon. Probably never.

Well, here’s hoping his new OC can alleviate a lot of posters frustrations, including mine.

We shall see.

Cheers!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hopefully Pete will be less stubborn. He's a hell of a motivator, but in game he seems to get outcoached a lot.
Fingers crossed he cuts back on butting in and lets this guy coordinate.
I still think they are gonna' be really good next year, but there are some huge decisions to make.
Anyway, have a great weekend. I'm not here to argue and all I seem to do is piss people off. Again, it's just a message board, and it CAN be a fun place to talk football.
Go Hawks

balakoth

Reaction score
Hawaii-hawk":2703f9u1 said:
SoulfishHawk":2703f9u1 said:

But you guys are cool with the OP predicting us being a “guaranteed NFC champion” despite likewise zero deep playoff runs let alone championships; no voice of moderation from any of you.

Or are you planning to make a post about how “I hear the same crap every year, how we are going to win the NFC title and win the super bowl but we just end up getting destroyed early in the playoffs?”

You only care about playoff appearances. We get it already. Plenty of others care about more than that and are willing to talk about the team with that in mind and no amount of crusading on your part is going to change that so just relax already, your PC Pom poms are getting worn out.

Yet Greenbay makes the superbowl for its second time in 25 years... and apparently, they are gods gift.

WTF is wrong with our fan base.. rofl

I'm sorry we didn't play top 10 drafters for 10 years (Patriots) or non-achievers except for a single year (Broncos) in the AFC west.

What ARE some of you smoking.

balakoth

Reaction score
Hawaii-hawk":1cqsecef said:
SoulfishHawk":1cqsecef said:

There have been a ton of posts and posters shooting down every critique of our scheme, playcalling, philosophy, predictability, et al. In favor of their 1 dimensional line of thought, which is: we make the playoffs every year, at least we have a chance, we remember the days when it was so much worse, etc etc.

if you don’t count yourself in this group then great, but I’m personally really tired of seeing good discussions and posts where there’s nothing wrong with what the poster said or how they said it get called “crap” by someone who adds virtually nothing to the discussion, which is exactly what you did in this thread and haven’t even been consistent about, hence why I’m still waiting for you to shut down the OPs optimism on the same grounds you’re shutting down others’ pessimism.

Kind of like what you've just done.... ironic.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
balakoth":txltm7hl said:
Hawaii-hawk":txltm7hl said:
SoulfishHawk":txltm7hl said:

Yet Greenbay makes the superbowl for its second time in 25 years... and apparently, they are gods gift.

WTF is wrong with our fan base.. rofl

I'm sorry we didn't play top 10 drafters for 10 years (Patriots) or non-achievers except for a single year (Broncos) in the AFC west.

What ARE some of you smoking.

Why are you so hung up on the past? Green Bay was better than Seattle this season. Fact.

Pass that pipe. You had enough.