Rams trading for Matthew Stafford

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Welshers":qb2ugilh said:
Very bad for Seahawks. Rams will be much better.

I think I disagree. Matthew Stafford once went 0-16. A feat that Goff has never achieved, and a feat which would just be absolutely impossible with RW. He may have an arm, but that might be all he brings to the table. Just like Jeff George did.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Also, I think that giving up 2 firsts and a third, combined with the fact that they're in Cap Hell next year so they have to give up established stars and try to make it up in the draft, kinda makes them look doomed. Back down to reality for you, lambs! Haha!

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
This is a great deal for the Rams immediate future, he's a very good QB that will join a team with a great defense and a great coach. but this is a bad deal for them 3-6 years out.

They haven't had a 1st round pick since 2016 when they chose Goff, now they're trading him and their '22-'23 1sts for a 2 year rental. They'll have gone 7 years without a 1st round pick, and they'll be in cap hell when Stafford likely retires, and won't have a 1st round pick until a year after he retires.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Not entirely sure but I think the Rams cap is on the hook 40 min over the next 2 years($14 + $26). Moving Goff save a boatload of cash. Forget the 1st round picks, Rams got better at QB, and gained payroll flexibility. They are still stacked on defense, have a quality young RB, and a very good head coach.

This rivalry is heating up.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I think the loss of quality coaching is understated. Over the years the Hawks have had to adjust quickly to losing top notch staff. Trying to not just duplicate the past successes but also evolve is a difficult process. The fact that the Rams have lost several key offensive personnel is a focal point. There is no guarantee they find equal or better replacements. Stafford is a gamer, and I think a new scene will help him, but his career numbers paint a very specific picture.

Makes me wonder what Houston wanted for Watson, LA should’ve waited.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2yibb2gx said:
This is a great deal for the Rams immediate future, he's a very good QB that will join a team with a great defense and a great coach. but this is a bad deal for them 3-6 years out.

They haven't had a 1st round pick since 2016 when they chose Goff, now they're trading him and their '22-'23 1sts for a 2 year rental. They'll have gone 7 years without a 1st round pick, and they'll be in cap hell when Stafford likely retires, and won't have a 1st round pick until a year after he retires.

Not all teams maximize or covet their 1st rounders like the seahawks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":254r6iua said:
Over the years the Hawks have had to adjust quickly to losing top notch staff. .

I'm just curious, but who?

sprhawk73

Reaction score
This is an offensive reset IMO and good for our odds. They were just getting good. A new QB can create all kinds of issues and Matt really isn’t that good. But if he finds his groove it could get ugly because we have to fix our sorry pass D

That D is still going to be a problem.

5thgen

Reaction score
Tate did a lot better with Stafford than wilson. We should have gotten Stafford with an even trade for wilson. The hawks will be lucky to be third in the division going forward.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
5thgen":162on2mo said:
Tate did a lot better with Stafford than wilson. We should have gotten Stafford with an even trade for wilson. The hawks will be lucky to be third in the division going forward.

Oh, good lord. This is a real bad take.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
GeekHawk":24yesf8x said:
Welshers":24yesf8x said:

I think I disagree. Matthew Stafford once went 0-16. A feat that Goff has never achieved, and a feat which would just be absolutely impossible with RW. He may have an arm, but that might be all he brings to the table. Just like Jeff George did.
You need to check your dates, because that is a feat Stafford has never accomplished. Jon Kitna and a host of other QBs were the passers for the 0-16 Lions teams. Stafford was still in college at that time.

You're also completely wrong about Matt Stafford "only bringing an arm" to the table. Stafford, Brady and Wilson have the most 4th quarter comebacks since 2012, the year Wilson joined the NFL. He's actually extremely clutch and any wins the Lions have had came off of the arm of Matthew Stafford. This is the opposite of Goff, a QB that had a penchant for folding when he was relied upon. A QB that had a very limited skill set and an offense that was completely tailored around to maximize his strengths, and minimize his weaknesses.

Have you watched the Lions? They've been an absolute train wreck since Stafford got there. A constant revolving door of coaches and coordinators, poor drafting, poor line, and for the last half of his career really poor receivers.

What does Stafford bring that Goff didn't? He is very good under pressure. He can make you pay for blitzing, and he stands tall in the pocket when being pressured. That is something Goff was horrible at, just a little pressure and he folded. Stafford is very good in clutch situations, at least in the regular season. He's pulled a lot of victories from the jaws of defeat for the Lions. Stafford is very good at the deep ball. Goff was captain checkdown for the Rams, he had a lot of easy completions dialed up by McVay. Stafford just has a much more varied skill set than Goff ever did, and he can do much more as a player. If Matt Stafford can stay healthy, McVay can potentially open that offense up quite a bit with Matt Stafford under center.

If Goff is capable of throwing for 32 touchdowns in McVay's system, I shudder to think what Matt Stafford is able to do there if he stays healthy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Stafford also has that ability to get guys to play above their expected talent level as well as being a great team guy that will go into an dark alley with his D lineman if he needed to.

This is going to make teams take their game to another level against the Rams.

Now we have to see if the 49ers get Watson.

Colts, Patriots, Cowboys and Maybe Packers and Broncos will be in this mix, If Rodgers leaves I could see the Broncos going all in to get him. But he would be a nightmare in Dallas as well.

Watson is the next Domino that will set a lot of teams in motion of a QB scramble.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
GeekHawk":37kvgifb said:
Welshers":37kvgifb said:

Maker my words, Stafford brings a considerable improvement to the Rams offense.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Stafford is a hell of a QB. The Rams just got a ton better.

I don't think it is entirely out of the question that the Rams will have another splash signing this off season. Could Johnson pull a Gronk?

Yes, he is 35, and has been out for a long time. I just wonder if he still has it, and a Cupp, Johnson duo would be killer.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
The Rams really need to put a premium on his conditioning and health, because he has a penchant for lingering injuries, and he's not getting any younger. Hope their backup is up for the task.

A better QB NOW, but Goff was a good QB and still has upside. This also sends a message to the rest of their team and long term deals, because they just mortgaged their future for an aging QB who has a lot of miles on him. I think Stafford is a really good quarterback and has been in a crappy situation in Detroit for a long time. He'll get to play with a stellar defense and ample weapons on offense. I think this makes them better immediately, but that offensive line needs to keep him upright, or injuries could be his story L.A. story.

xray

Reaction score
Big upgrade for the Rams . Bad news for the rest of the division . Not sure now if the Hawks can retain the division title . IMO

Elemas

Reaction score
Immediate future, good on the Rams. They unloaded a huge contract. The negative comments about Stafford, 0-16, I understand. But, I’m not sure those who make those comments have truly watched Stafford over the years. There’s a reason they coughed up multiple picks and it wasn’t to just unload Goffs contract. The Rams just got better. Way better. Good enough to take the clear lead in the NFC West. Well, barring SF getting Watson. We’d be fighting AZ for 3rd. And that wouldn’t be a guarantee.

Long term...the Rams may be in a very bad place. They went all-in with there last few deals, tradings.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
The Rams have given up a lot of first rounds picks recently, but the Seahawks also have given up a couple of picks for Jamaal Adams as well. I don't know know how these trades are going to effect both teams in the future, but with the boatload of picks that the Miami Dolphins have gotten/used recently for their rebuild, I think we are about to find out very soon whether it is worth it to invest heavily in the early portion of the NFL draft.