Great Kam Chancellor Interview

TOPHawk

Reaction score
Great find. Thanks for sharing. Love Kam for everything he did on the field and brought to the team. I would love to see him in an elevated coaching position on the team at some point.

It's unfortunate that this statement stood out...

"Even during my last few years in Seattle, it was like a cloud that hung over us. It haunted us — like this constant, unseen, unspoken reminder that we just weren’t on the same page anymore."

...and there you have it.

OP
OP
pittpnthrs

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah, that play had real ramifications. Team never recovered from it.

xray

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2ptqxoxk said:

^
ditto for many fans too

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is an excellent coach with an amazing track record, nobody is perfect, and sometimes he undermines his mantra, people grow, maybe, hopefully, from last season through this off-season he moves beyond and learns how to avoid those moments to stay true, makes you question all of his preaching when he acts in a way contrary to his messaging. Maybe he's just overthinking, I dunno, but he preaches not over-trying as well.. so dunno. Hope he backs off and lets Russell and Waldron run the offense. Hope he gets back to always compete/better player plays no matter what on defense.

OP
OP
pittpnthrs

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
xray":3txawi4h said:
pittpnthrs":3txawi4h said:

^
ditto for many fans too

Raises hand. Heck i'm not over 2005 to be honest. :D

WmHBonney

Reaction score
"To this day, people still ask me, “Why didn’t you give the ball to Marshawn?”

And to this day, I don’t know.

I never got a clear answer."

I said it when it happened....that play will tear this team apart. It did. Players aren't stupid. They know what happened and who was responsible. They also saw zero repercussions. I miss Kam, Sherm, Doug and all the rest. They were the greatest collection of players and personalities this team has ever put on a field at the same time. Here's to them: :irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1rxiu779 said:

What about the two 70+ yard drives the defense gave up in the 2nd half after the offense gave them a 10 pt lead to protect?

I get that Cliff went out and the LOB was banged up, but the fact that all these defensive players still have animosity and tunnel vision with the ONE play that "lost" them their 2nd SB is irritating to me.

They also have to own that loss, because the fact is they played terrible in the 2nd half giving up back to back long drives for TD's to even put the offense in that heroic situation to win the game.

Kam also might have heard why Pete threw the ball the next training camp if he wasn't holding out for two months unsuccessfully.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2noxyfia said:
What about the two 70+ yard drives the defense gave up in the 2nd half after the offense gave them a 10 pt lead to protect?

I get that Cliff went out and the LOB was banged up, but the fact that all these defensive players still have animosity and tunnel vision with the ONE play that "lost" them their 2nd SB is irritating to me.

They also have to own that loss, because the fact is they played terrible in the 2nd half giving up back to back long drives for TD's to even put the offense in that heroic situation to win the game.

TRUTH.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What I've been trying to say for years. They gave up two long touchdown drives, while blowing a 10 point lead.
It almost always gets glossed over and/or excuses pop up. One play did NOT lose the Super Bowl.
Banged up or not, they got absolutely shredded in the 4th quarter by Brady. And 6 years later, people are still in denial. The Defense was incredible, but in the 4th quarter of 49, they got smoked. This was a team loss, so many factors. I suspect we will all still be talking about this game in 10 years, and still won't agree. And that's fine, it will always be a gut punch.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You just said it. A gut punch.

That is why that fateful play will never be erased from the psyche of Seahawks fans all over the world. Forget the facts that were stated above about the long drives given up and that our defense couldn't hold a 10 point advantage in the 4th quarter to secure back-to-back championships.

Those elements don't have the staying power, the shock factor and instant horror that that final play had. I get why it's brought up to this day, and will continue to be brought up for decades to come, but as we know, it's not the full reason we lost, it just happened to be the final blowing out of the candle that day.

Team loss. The defense should have manned up and said it should have never come down to that play had they done their jobs but I guess it's easier to point fingers. It's just so tragic that what truly was one of the best Super Bowl games ever played had to end in devastation for the team, coaches, family and 12's everywhere.

I still watch the NFL Films special of SB49 because the highlights were terrific for 59 minutes. I always turn it off right before that gut punch and fantasize that we pulled it out and became repeat champs with blue and green ticker tape falling everywhere.

Fantasy? Sure. But it works for me, lol.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
To this day, I think about it, a LOT. How different the entire history of this team would be had they pulled it off. That being said, they were that close to back to back titles. I was incredibly fortunate to be at the game, and other than that ending, zero regrets. That's something that can never be taken away from me, a great memory and bucket list stuff.
Prior to the play, I was already thinking about how crazy the partying was gonna' be etc.
When I saw Lynch go in motion, it just felt like wtf??? I'll never completely get over it, but that's sports. We never truly get over moments like that. Also, if Kearse catches that pass earlier in the second half, they are at a minimum in field goal range. Game changing. Then again, that miracle catch that even got them down there??? Almost a house money feel at that point. Not that it helped any. When I got home from the game my wife told me I was acting like someone died. Well, that's exactly how I felt. Still very proud of that team though. Back to back Superb Owl's? Hell yes, something to be proud of.

xray

Reaction score
IMO...Carroll has gotten over it because he never changes . Wilson and all the Hawk players from then still are haunted by that play. If that doesn't stick in your craw ? Seriously ?

NJlargent

Reaction score
The one thing that aggravates me more than anything is any reference to the 10 point lead. Without that defense we never sniff the SB that year. At some point that defense was going to run out of gas and understandably so.

OP
OP
pittpnthrs

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nlzsezb said:
pittpnthrs":1nlzsezb said:

Kam also might have heard why Pete threw the ball the next training camp if he wasn't holding out for two months unsuccessfully.

The fact that the defense was so beat up and the team was even in it makes it all the worse. Yeah the defense gave up a couple of drives in the second half, which is to be expected when you take into account their health. Whats also to be expected is some help from the offense. Here's how many points the offense scored in the 4th quarter for the banged up defense,,,,,,,,ZERO. Dont blame the defense at all for being bitter.

OP
OP
pittpnthrs

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
NJlargent":24uigt94 said:
The one thing that aggravates me more than anything is any reference to the 10 point lead. Without that defense we never sniff the SB that year. At some point that defense was going to run out of gas and understandably so.

Exactly. When the defense has to finally rely on the offense they got nothing. How some want to blame the defense when they were that beat up is beyond me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2davrufo said:
Sgt. Largent":2davrufo said:
pittpnthrs":2davrufo said:

The fact that the defense was so beat up and the team was even in it makes it all the worse. Yeah the defense gave up a couple of drives in the second half, which is to be expected when you take into account their health. Whats also to be expected is some help from the offense. Here's how many points the offense scored in the 4th quarter for the banged up defense,,,,,,,,ZERO. Dont blame the defense at all for being bitter.

Bitter is fine, bitter is a normal emotional reaction to losing a Super Bowl in that fashion.

But it's a team game, you can pick out 20 moments of that game where the Hawks failed, many on the defensive side of the ball. For these guys to continue to fixate on ONE play and not take some responsibility is disingenuous for me.