Key thing Waldron said!!

John63

Reaction score
I think this is the key thing that Waldron said we need to remember!1

"we know he can do a lot of different things – how can we really start to structure this thing around him and create an offense where he feels comfortable with it, where he feels like he can have full ownership by that first game?”"

This means whatever he is going to build will be around Wilson. This if correct will be the first time he will be in a system built around and for him.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I won't hold my breath because we all know Pete can't help himself - it's not a matter of if but of when and how much he will offer "suggestions" to the OC during the games - but I will remain optimistic unless old patterns begin to emerge. If Waldron is truly given the keys to the offense with Pete's blessing we will see ourselves back at the big show.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Head coaches are meant to have at least some control over the direction of the team. They'd be useless otherwise. Expecting Pete to have no input over the offense isn't just unrealistic, but probably bad.

We can talk about what has become known as "Pete's" meddling until the cows come home, but Pete started issuing orders once the wheels started falling off, not after. If the offense becomes successful this year, it isn't because Pete got out of the way, it's because Pete made the right decision to terminate the last guy and bring in a new crew with a very different way of doing things.

If he wanted a yes man, he woulda hired one. Just saying.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We had an offense built around Russell Wilson for the first few weeks of the season with Schottenheimer, but Pete changed that really quickly.

The problem here is going to be Pete. He needs to let Shane Waldron do his McVay thing. I love this hire, but if he's interfere with like Schottenheimer was we'll be playing the same story.

The hopeful thing is McVay's offense uses a really creative running game. Pete needs to let Waldron do McVay things such as spread the field out, so we can run in a box that is not stacked. As much as I hate the Rams, what McVay has done for Goff and that offense is pretty amazing. I hope Shane Waldron is allowed to do that.

Pete also really needs to let Waldron change up the tempo of the offense. The default 1 one second and snap is horrible for many reasons. You're giving the defense a free jump off the line. They can pull a Michael Bennett with impunity. That is one thing that made him great, is timing of the snap. Well, you're giving all of the DLINE and blitzing players a free head start with always sticking with that same tempo. Not anything you can do at the LOS either. It's been this way from Bates all the way to Schottenheimer.

3-2-16-4-6

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":17r3w0hn said:
Head coaches are meant to have at least some control over the direction of the team. They'd be useless otherwise. Expecting Pete to have no input over the offense isn't just unrealistic, but probably bad.

We can talk about what has become known as "Pete's" meddling until the cows come home, but Pete started issuing orders once the wheels started falling off, not after. If the offense becomes successful this year, it isn't because Pete got out of the way, it's because Pete made the right decision to terminate the last guy and bring in a new crew with a very different way of doing things.

Agreed!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Based on what happened this year, Pete will be hands off as long as turnovers don't come in bunches. That imo is when he can't help himself

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Aros":2rht8vfj said:
I won't hold my breath because we all know Pete can't help himself - it's not a matter of if but of when and how much he will offer "suggestions" to the OC during the games - but I will remain optimistic unless old patterns begin to emerge. If Waldron is truly given the keys to the offense with Pete's blessing we will see ourselves back at the big show.

Agreed but I am trying to be optimistic!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2np22k3i said:

Very much THIS! ^^ :irishdrinkers:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":33sllh0i said:
We had an offense built around Russell Wilson for the first few weeks of the season with Schottenheimer, but Pete changed that really quickly.

The problem here is going to be Pete. He needs to let Shane Waldron do his McVay thing. I love this hire, but if he's interfere with like Schottenheimer was we'll be playing the same story.

The hopeful thing is McVay's offense uses a really creative running game. Pete needs to let Waldron do McVay things such as spread the field out, so we can run in a box that is not stacked. As much as I hate the Rams, what McVay has done for Goff and that offense is pretty amazing. I hope Shane Waldron is allowed to do that.

Pete also really needs to let Waldron change up the tempo of the offense. The default 1 one second and snap is horrible for many reasons. You're giving the defense a free jump off the line. They can pull a Michael Bennett with impunity. That is one thing that made him great, is timing of the snap. Well, you're giving all of the DLINE and blitzing players a free head start with always sticking with that same tempo. Not anything you can do at the LOS either. It's been this way from Bates all the way to Schottenheimer.
Nope ^ DK said "Defenses started figuring us out" MEANING, figuring out Schottenheimer, :17: and his "same old, same old" schemes, and then when the RB's got hurt, he ran out of ingenuity, and everything ended up being a free-for-all...It played right into the opposing Defenses game-scripts. :rumble:
One would think by listening to some of the blokes here on .NET, that Pete dislikes, or maybe even hates Russell Wilson. :177692:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2s8tvvxq said:
Spin Doctor":2s8tvvxq said:

Nope ^ DK said "Defenses started figuring us out" MEANING, figuring out Schottenheimer, :17: and his "same old, same old" schemes, and then when the RB's got hurt, he ran out of ingenuity, and everything ended up being a free-for-all...It played right into the opposing Defenses game-scripts. :rumble:
One would think by listening to some of the blokes here on .NET, that Pete dislikes, or maybe even hates Russell Wilson. :177692:
Much of the playbook was Pete's, not Schottenheimer's. When we hired Schottenheimer, Pete said that 80 percent of the playbook was going to stay as his. Another thing to consider is early in the season we used a lot of short passing concepts that looked straight out of Mike Holmgren's playbook. Wilson got picked on a pass over the middle, and all of the sudden they disappeared from the playbook. That isn't Schottenheimer's doing, guaranteed. The offense early in the season looked drastically different than it did towards the second half of the season.

Furthermore we've been running this style of offense since 2011. I've seen these exact same plays, and play calling tendencies over three coordinators. It's one of the reasons why we have been so dreadful in the first half of the games during Pete's tenure. We also have to consider Wilson's part in this. He had shorter routes open that he refused to take. I lay this squarely at Pete's on shoulders. Why couldn't we beat the cover 2 when we ran an offense earlier in the year that would have dismantled a cover 2 defense?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
John63":2drxdsbo said:
Aros":2drxdsbo said:

Agreed but I am trying to be optimistic!!

I’m trying to be optimistic too but with RWs limitations that’s hard to do.

:D

BChawkfan

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2495glft said:
Based on what happened this year, Pete will be hands off as long as turnovers don't come in bunches. That imo is when he can't help himself

Yes,if the turnovers start happening,I hope we dont start doing the "Where's Waldo" thing

nwHawk

Reaction score
John63":1e5rxc7j said:
I think this is the key thing that Waldron said we need to remember!1

"we know he can do a lot of different things – how can we really start to structure this thing around him and create an offense where he feels comfortable with it, where he feels like he can have full ownership by that first game?”"

This means whatever he is going to build will be around Wilson. This if correct will be the first time he will be in a system built around and for him.

Every new offensive coordinator, to any team, has to create an environment for their QB to be successful. Verbiage, plays, audibles, etc... Waldron stated the obvious.

Fans are always free to think let their mind wander and create what they want to believe. I appreciate Russell Wilson, but let's keep in mind that he is an 8 year veteran that started game #1 from his first NFL season. He's not a 2 or 3 year vet. He's had input in games, planning and etc...

I'm not expecting things to change too much. However, the best thing that should happen is to reduce the amount of alignments and to scheme multiple plays off the same initial looks. Make the opposing defense "think" and pause rather than fly and react. That alone will improve things for Russ.

pugs1

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2psaupr6 said:

Count me in this camp. Pete put the clamdown on the offense because Russ became a turnover machine, and the offense needed to slow it down to help the D. The narative of Pete being this massive megalomaniac is way overblown IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2e6seawk said:

Sounded like a yes man to me that was optimistic, very much a Wilson type interview, the Technical difficulty breaks at strategic moments tells me this.

I will wait and see for final judgement, but if we have a series of late play call in's at critical times and weird time outs inside the ten then I am going to start looking at Pete again wanting to play it safe. Or if we are pulling away in the 2nd quarter and then go 3 and out series after series till we are within 7 of each other and try to flip the switch on again.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
chris98251":2conymqc said:
Maelstrom787":2conymqc said:

Sounded like a yes man to me that was optimistic, very much a Wilson type interview, the Technical difficulty breaks at strategic moments tells me this.

I will wait and see for final judgement, but if we have a series of late play call in's at critical times and weird time outs inside the ten then I am going to start looking at Pete again wanting to play it safe. Or if we are pulling away in the 2nd quarter and then go 3 and out series after series till we are within 7 of each other and try to flip the switch on again.

We both know that literally any perceived imperfection in the offense will immediately be blamed on Pete, regardless of circumstance. People like confirming their priors more than they like being correct.

If Pete wanted a yes man, he wouldn't have hired an offensive coordinator who runs a completely different rushing scheme, a completely different pass philosophy and scheme, and ALSO let the guy bring in his own run game coordinator. There is literally no logical path from Waldron to "yes man."

Pete brought him in to run a different offense that still aligns with his overall philosophy - balance, limited turnovers, and keeping the offense on time. Those overall traits are what Pete values, and I suspect that although Waldron arrives there differently, he won't have to slap his hands like he did when Schotty's Kitchen started baking turnovers left and right. Waldron brings a contemporary way to successfully achieve balance, effective rushing, and limited turnovers.

Also, you guys are reaching a lil with the technical difficulties conspiracy theories already. Whew.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1vhqcfco said:
chris98251":1vhqcfco said:
Maelstrom787":1vhqcfco said:

We both know that literally any perceived imperfection in the offense will immediately be blamed on Pete, regardless of circumstance. People like confirming their priors more than they like being correct.

If Pete wanted a yes man, he wouldn't have hired an offensive coordinator who runs a completely different rushing scheme, a completely different pass philosophy and scheme, and ALSO let the guy bring in his own run game coordinator. There is literally no logical path from Waldron to "yes man."

Pete brought him in to run a different offense that still aligns with his overall philosophy - balance, limited turnovers, and keeping the offense on time. Those overall traits are what Pete values, and I suspect that although Waldron arrives there differently, he won't have to slap his hands like he did when Schotty's Kitchen started baking turnovers left and right. Waldron brings a contemporary way to successfully achieve balance, effective rushing, and limited turnovers.

Also, you guys are reaching a lil with the technical difficulties conspiracy theories already. Whew.

He wanted different with Schotty also, more run game based on his success with the Jets, more mentoring based on his success with Brees helping the passing game.

Said we would have a lot of the same elements of Bevell but expand the passing game more.

Well we seen what we got.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete is going to meddle with the offense, he is on the headset for a reason.

But, there is a big difference between, "Let's run it a little more here on this series, their leftside is lookin' a little light in the cakes." *chews bubblgum*… *blows bubble*…

AND "I don't like that play call, change it to 'xyz!'" *whistle*… Referee: Delay of game on the offense…

Waldron said a lot of great things. Like always attacking. He knows Seattle at times would just wait around until the 4th quarter to actually start playing offense. He ain't about that.

getnasty

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2rkl5yt3 said:

I agree with this, we seen Pete be fine with the offense until Russ starting throwing picks and thise turnovers costing us games.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":sxpxrecu said:
chris98251":sxpxrecu said:
Maelstrom787":sxpxrecu said:

You say “literally” but probably meant “figuratively “. Since there are countless imperfections in every game, it would be extremely difficult to blame Pete for all of them and using the word “literally” excludes all other possibilities. Another example of using the terms incorrectly is “I will literally break my foot off in your azz”. The speaker most likely does not intend to sacrifice his own foot and leave it inserted in another persons rectum, so figuratively would be the correct word if you felt the need to use one of them. Probably better to not use either though.

Latest posts