Rumors are Russ is unhappy with O line.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
"I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring."

Jason La Canfora

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3sh9bt27 said:
"I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring."

Jason La Canfora

Timing seems odd.

Also bears pointing out that while he has had some trash o-lines over the years, SOME (not all) of the high sack totals are on his shoulders.

Wonder what's up. Russ is too calculated for this to not have an angle of some sort.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawkpower":t7m6wqht said:
Shanegotyou11":t7m6wqht said:

Jason La Canfora

Timing seems odd.

Also bears pointing out that while he has had some trash o-lines over the years, SOME (not all) of the high sack totals are on his shoulders.

Wonder what's up. Russ is too calculated for this to not have an angle of some sort.
A new campaign has began.

“Keep Russ alive.”

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Can't pay everyone...and this team cannot draft quality oline men..nothing will change..and no money to pay any worthwhile free agents.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Jerhawk":i7yw927u said:
Then get rid of the ball quicker

LOL!
Let the snap sail and blame the center. Center blames the guard for stepping on his foot. Guard blames the tackle for bumping him. Tackle blames the center for calling out wrong assignment. Turmoil ensues.
That's how Russ gets a new line.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He wanted stars last off-season, he also wanted to cook. Olsen and the 2nd half of the season happened. Let’s let the GM make those decisions and our Q spend more time finding was to do better at pre snap reads, and throwing to his check downs.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Over the weekend, it was reported that a couple of teams called the Seahawks to inquire about Wilson’s availability in trade. The Seahawks declined to engage in such discussions. On Monday night, came this nugget from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports: “I’m hearing Russell Wilson’s camp has grown increasingly frustrated by the Seahawks inability to protect the 8 time Pro Bowler. He has been sacked 394 times in 9 seasons. This situation warrants serious monitoring.”

To the extent there’s a “there” there, Wilson’s concerns sweep much more broadly than a complaint about the quality of the team’s offensive line. It’s the overall offense. It’s the early exits from the playoffs. It’s everything that has kept the Seahawks and Wilson from getting back to the Super Bowl.

Indeed, the Seahawks haven’t progressed past the divisional round since 2014, Wilson’s third NFL season. Now entering Year 10, the 32-year-old quarterback is getting closer to the midpoint of a career, based on his preferred expiration date of 45. For several years, a vague sense has meandered through the grapevine that, in time, Wilson will play for another team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... n-problem/

pinksheets

Reaction score
His article reads like it was written by a .NET poster. No meat, all "could be" speculation.

But the Hawks do need to get better in the trenches. They need to invest in both lines more than anything else.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Let's go down the line:

LT- Brown- above average to pro bowl level
LG- Ok, the weak spot sure, but not atrocious
C- Pocic, average
RG- Lewis, basically all rookie. Can improve in pass pro for sure but not a liability.
RT- Shell, career year, good pff grade. Average to above average at times.

So overall I thought the line did fine. Some games a C, some an A, but never an F really.

This isn't 2015-2017. The line can get better but it's not the problem.

5thgen

Reaction score
Holding onto the ball too damn long caused half the sacks. 3-4 first rounders would be nice for wilson.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I am absolutely fascinated with the level of disdain, and borderline disgust fans have when fans, or even Russ demands better weapons, or protection.

Brady left the Patriots because of the situation and lack of talent. He yells at his O-linemen when they don't protect him, barking at them. Something Wilson would never be allowed to do without being called arrogant.

It's almost as if, we would rather see the team invest in the defense, than provide one of the best human beings, and QBs we've ever had with what EVERY team in the league tries to do for their QB. Why do we feel Russ should just eat crap and take it? Why do some fans view him so low, they don't give a crap how bad the O-line is?

Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, all hold onto the ball. Their teams at least care enough about them to invest in their protection while we're too busy figuring out which Safety or DB we should overpay.

Teahawks":438iglc1 said:
Let's go down the line:

LT- Brown- above average to pro bowl level
LG- Ok, the weak spot sure, but not atrocious
C- Pocic, average
RG- Lewis, basically all rookie. Can improve in pass pro for sure but not a liability.
RT- Shell, career year, good pff grade. Average to above average at times.

So overall I thought the line did fine. Some games a C, some an A, but never an F really.

This isn't 2015-2017. The line can get better but it's not the problem.

"It's not the problem."

That's just it, unless the O-line is ranked 29th, or 30th again we're perfectly fine ignoring it. What low standards.

Average O-lines are totally fine. God forbid we draft, or sign O-linemen that actually make the Pro-bowl, or that are consistently great. The Chiefs pull it off, the Packers do. The Patriots did it for years. But if we even try to give Wilson a Top 5 O-line, oh no. Who cares, he's not our franchise QB. We should accept average. Other teams value, and respect their QB well enough to not settle for this.

hawks85

Reaction score
I'm not blaming the O-line for all the sacks. Wilson needs to read defenses better. Always going for the deep ball. When the deep ball isn't there, he runs around scared as hell like a chicken with it's head cutoff. Now in Wilson's defense, it could be the offensive playbook. With no to barely any short routes, cross patterns etc...to dink and dunk down the field. I will hold judgement and see what Waldron installs for the offense. If it continues next season, then Wilson needs to fix the way he plays QB.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If this was really coming from Russ's camp intentionally they would have leaked it to somebody like Dan Patrick. Jason La Canfora has zero credibility these days after too many "I'm hearing..." blurbs that turned out to be completely false.

Either way, everybody would like to see both lines continue to improve. There's not two sides to this issue as if one group of people are arguing in favor of worse OL play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He flat out should be unhappy, the pass blocking and play calling has been brutal.
But the way people talk about Russ is plain ridiculous. The fact that people blame him for half the sacks is laughable. Sometimes he absolutely holds on the ball too long. But so do plenty other QB's. He has extended plays and made some ridiculous magic happen. Mahomes does the exact same thing and gets celebrated and worshiped for it.
But, it's been that way for years on here towards Russ so...….

ducks41468

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2ez73pmj said:
Then get rid of the ball quicker

Mahomes: "Oh my goodness please get my sweet little angel some o-line help! My dearest cannot handle such stress from running backwards every snap!"

Wilson: "Get the ball out quicker you dolt"

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The offensive line has been a weak spot here since before Carroll. Carroll's philosophy with the offensive line is often times dumbfounding. He puts more of a premium on finding lineman that can play anywhere on the line than just about anyone in the NFL, rather than a guy that play one spot well. His offensive lineman choices often lack the ability to pass block well, but are road graders in the run game.

Really the only piece we have to build off of is Lewis at the RG. Duane Brown is one of the oldest starting LTs in the league. It's not a stretch to say that this season or the next his play could go down the drain. He's at that age where one injury, or just father time could get him and it'll be the last we see of Brown. Our C, Procic is what I would call backup caliber. He gets pushed in way too often for comfort. We hardly ever have a pocket because of him. Our LG is the weakest position. Iupati is washed up and none of the other guys are any good there. Our RT, Shell did okay at times, bad at others. Our line is in bad shape and we don't really have many resources to throw at it.

RW and Pete Carroll also have culpability here. Carroll has a tight leash on Wilson when it comes to changing plays at the LOS. Wilson doesn't have the same agency as most QBs in the NFL. His ability to checkout of plays is limited compared to someone like Tom Brady. This makes dealing with obvious blitzes and mismatches problematic.

Wilson tends to hold onto the ball for too long, even within the context of Pete's offense. He had checkdowns last year, he didn't take them. Notice how Brady had an internal clock in the superbowl. He knew after a certain amount of time he needed to get rid of it. This is Russell Wilson's biggest weak spot as a passer. His internal clock is not there. He has no sense of "I need to take what I'm given or I'm in danger". Carroll has bred this into him IMO, but it still is problematic. No offensive line will look good under these context. Russell Wilson also seemed to struggle with identifying the blitz this year. Teams threw different zone blitzes at him that really seemed to baffle Wilson. As good as a player as Wilson is, he really needs to to get better at the LOS, and conversely Pete needs to give him agency there.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2wtkd4sk said:
Shanegotyou11":2wtkd4sk said:

Jason La Canfora

Timing seems odd.

Timing is obvious. He just watched Mahomes get destroyed by bad line play while Brady went to a new team and won the SB in convincing fashion right away. A lot to digest for him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That had to look all to familiar to Russ. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Russ reached out to Mahomes, and soon.

xray

Reaction score
Maybe the lack of a consistent quality OL over his career has forced Wilson into developing bad habits from having to ad-lib too often . Or he is too damned short . :D