My Opinion:Russell has a legitimate gripe about OL Personell

ivotuk

Reaction score
During his career, he's been sacked 394 times! And that doesn't include Playoff Games! Admittedly, some of those are on him, but the majority are on the Seahawks inability to provide protection. No wonder he spends around a million dollars a year on keeping his mind and body fit!

Look at what the Saints have done for Drew Brees over the years. That's our blueprint. It's going to cost, and sacrifices are going to have to be made, but at 32 years old, this is what Russell needs.

This is my personal opinion, but I don't see his comments as being directed towards John Schneider, the Scouting Department, or the current starters on the Offensive Line. This an indictment of Pete's occasional propensity to ignore the importance of things like the Offensive Line.

In the past he's invested in the OLine, but he didn't have the right people making the decisions. I don't think Pete has a handle on the Offensive Line, which is why he hired Tom Cable and gave him so much power. But, IMHO, he gave Cable way too much power, and we ended up wasting resources on players like James Carpenter, Mark Glowinski, and Luke Joekel. Then we trade away Max Unger for Jimmy Graham.

This last year they wasted 7 million dollars on Greg Olsen. This may have been to placate Russell Wilson who asked for "Superstars" at the Pro Bowl. If so, I hope Russell learned from that.

But I still think it's reasonable for Russ to want to be in on the prospective Offensive Line upgrades and decisions. Let him know who they are interested in, why they are interested in those players, and where they rank overall in team needs as well as available draft capital and cap room. Help him understand the process because as a fan, it has been lacking, and I think Russell feels the same way.

Change the failed process. Damien Lewis was a great start. As was Shell. But stop drafting "versatile" players! Like Big Ray Roberts said, "Get a player with a Phd at Center, a Phd at Left Guard! Not someone that can "play all along the line."

I don't believe that Russell should be allowed to make the final decision, but get his input, make him understand the where and why. Like sacrificing other players so that they could sign Greg Olsen. No More! No more Jimmy Grahams, no more of that nasty little kick returner that screwed us, no more players that we have to give a big contract to after we paid a king's ransom to get them here (except for Jamal Adams).

Get a better return on your investments! Protect Russell better, and have plays that protect the Offensive Line from Elite Defensive Lines!

Per Brock Huard, the Bills HC said that "The Rams offense was an Offenive Linemen's dream!" Why? Because it made their job easier. It protected them, and allowed them to protect Jared Goff! That's why!

And I have every confidence that Waldron will give the OLine that kind of "protection."

But before that happens, Pete needs to step in to the background, after he gives JS the okay. And JS, Shane Waldron, and Russell Wilson need to go over how they can best protect Russell, by protecting their Offensive Linemen. Please! No more Iupatis! What. A. Waste!

Russell's doing the right thing here. He could sit back and "hope" that Pete doesn't "Blow off the Offensive Line" by signing a lot of scrubs and hoping for the best. Or by overriding the draft board to get his defensive guys.

No more Pete! No more letting Fletcher Cox go to the Eagles so that you can get Bruce Irvin and an extra draft pick!

Let's get some quality pocket protectors that will give Russell more time to throw, and a scheme that will protect everyone from Aaron Donald!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think that when you are taking such a huge portion of the cap you should stfu about priorities.

Vetamur

Reaction score
OK..so..say you want top notch pass blocking guards instead of road graders, the run blocking guards that we get cheap because of how the NFL is.

So..you spend 7 million each for the 2 guards. About 4.5 million each more than what theyve done.

Youre at 9 million dollars more. So, what 9 million dollars worth of players do you get rid of from the team? And were there guards available?

Olson is an obvious target, but Wilson wanted more talent around him and any start that makes it to free agency most likely involves some warts.

I feel like the last 2 years in particular effort has been made to shore up the line..and this past season, frankly, Seahawks were ranked 10th in pass protection. From the Giants game on Russ doubted what he was seeing and held the ball a LOT. Hes been hit a lot..but he shoulders some blame for that, as does his own particular style..

Its a pretty nuanced topic to my mind.. especially with set draft picks and a salary cap.. its all about opportunity cost. Personally, i thought going after the type of linemen other teams didnt want or werent valued by the league was a pretty good Moneyball idea and helped them.

without some interesting moves, this upcoming draft presents limited chances for the Seahawks to draft top linemen..so..who do you want to trade away for picks or players..and will we come out ahead? finally..is that best for the team or for Russ's stat line which it seems he does think about now more than he used to.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ivotuk":1hyuwnlx said:
Change the failed process. Damien Lewis was a great start. As was Shell. But stop drafting "versatile" players! Like Big Ray Roberts said, "Get a player with a Phd at Center, a Phd at Left Guard! Not someone that can "play all along the line."

Bingo. Enough with this "Jack of all trades master of none" BS when it comes to the OL. Get players who are excellent at their one position, period!

12forlife

Reaction score
Hey Russell have nothing but mad respect for you up to this point! You need to keep your thoughts to yourself, and take a note out of Brady's book! Maybe take a lil less so the team can afford better & younger line talent. You really need $35 mil a year? Don't expect any of us fans to feel sorry for you? Be a team player and take a lil less, and maybe you wouldn't have to run like you stole something every play? Don't be the problem Russ, be the solution!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why does he need to keep his thoughts to himself??? He has a legit gripe. Just look at the ranking of the crap o line's that have been put in front of him. Be a team player? He's been the ultimate team player his entire career. This isn't the first time a QB has made his thoughts known.
Manning literally called out his o line in a post game presser (something Russ has never come close to doing after a game) and people didn't seem to care at all. In fact, people thought it was funny.

Funny how the double standards never end. This is literally the first time in his career he has called anyone out, IF that's what he did. 9 years it took for him to speak up. I wish he would have sooner.
Why is everyone so bent out of a shape about this? All he said was that he needs better protection. So what???? He absolutely does and is justified in making it known.
And why should I care what Brady has done? His wife is worth half a billion. Feel sorry for him? He just wants a better damn o line. Well, so do the fans.
People have been calling him boring, a robot, a yes man etc. his entire career. He finally speaks up almost a decade in to his career, and people act like he's some locker room cancer. For what? Bringing up something that everyone knows is a real issue :?
Meanwhile, Rodgers was plenty pissed off about who the team picked in the draft (also justified imo)
Watson is DEMANDING a trade.
Anyway, I've said my peace. Free Agency can't get here soon enough :mrgreen:

John63

Reaction score
12forlife":317aat6w said:
Hey Russell have nothing but mad respect for you up to this point! You need to keep your thoughts to yourself, and take a note out of Brady's book! Maybe take a lil less so the team can afford better & younger line talent. You really need $35 mil a year? Don't expect any of us fans to feel sorry for you? Be a team player and take a lil less, and maybe you wouldn't have to run like you stole something every play? Don't be the problem Russ, be the solution!

Okay first WIlson has redone his contract every time they asked 7 and counting

2nd so if I understand Brady gets to talk and say what he wants but Wilson can't., Hmm I wonder why?

#3rd you do know when he signed this deal there was talk of 40 mil right? I mean he took less than what he could have ha dmore.

4th he would still have this problem, this problem existed when he was on his Rookie contract.

5th this problem existed when he was on his 2nd contact, so Why should he take less when they had the chance, and he was making way less they still did not address the issue.

The reality is this team has had 8 years with Wilson to fix the oline issues, and they have not.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":od51z3iw said:
Why does he need to keep his thoughts to himself??? He has a legit gripe. Just look at the ranking of the crap o line's that have been put in front of him. Be a team player? He's been the ultimate team player his entire career. This isn't the first time a QB has made his thoughts known.
Manning literally called out his o line in a post game presser (something Russ has never come close to doing after a game) and people didn't seem to care at all. In fact, people thought it was funny.

Funny how the double standards never end. This is literally the first time in his career he has called anyone out, IF that's what he did. 9 years it took for him to speak up. I wish he would have sooner.
Why is everyone so bent out of a shape about this? All he said was that he needs better protection. So what???? He absolutely does and is justified in making it known.
And why should I care what Brady has done? His wife is worth half a billion. Feel sorry for him? He just wants a better damn o line. Well, so do the fans.
People have been calling him boring, a robot, a yes man etc. his entire career. He finally speaks up almost a decade in to his career, and people act like he's some locker room cancer. For what? Bringing up something that everyone knows is a real issue :?
Meanwhile, Rodgers was plenty pissed off about who the team picked in the draft (also justified imo)
Watson is DEMANDING a trade.
Anyway, I've said my peace. Free Agency can't get here soon enough :mrgreen:

Do you really need to know why some want him to keep his mouth shut while other QBs Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and others can say what they want? It is obvious. And of course if he keeps his mouth shut then they get pisse dhe is nto saying anything.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This is just an angle RW is using to move on. The Seahawks have tried to bring in FA offensive linemen and picks with little success.

RW has gotten soft. And he’s become a pain in the ass and detrimental to building a good team.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Russ has a legit gripe, but Pete is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you spend the $$$ on quality O-linemen, then you have to cut spending elsewhere. Since 2015, Pete has decided the O-line was a lesser priority, in part b/c of Russ's mobility. But at age 32, and with an awareness that a QB can only take so many hits before one puts him out for the season, I think Pete and John need to re-assess and spend the money to protect him -- and to give him time to make plays.

Russ is a HOF QB, still in his prime, and these guys just don't grow on trees. Anyone who thinks we should let Russ move on is badly misperceiving the situation. He had a few sub-par games in the 2nd half of the season, but part of this was due to having all of our RBs out injured. He's carried the team on his back for a long time. Now Pete needs to fix this. Russ has evolved into a very good pocket QB (who can run when needed). But because the protection keeps collapsing, Russ probably did lose the confidence that he'd have enough time in the pocket, and he ended up making some bad throws.

Bottom line is I think we need to get Russ what he feels he needs. He can't do it all himself. If that means not going after a top edge rusher or a shutdown corner in free agency, then so be it. Russ has proved he can win shootouts. That may be what the future holds here, even though that puts Pete outside of his run-first and tough D comfort zone. I love Pete, but if it comes down to Pete's way or Russ's way, we have to choose Russ.

John63

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2pofw1py said:
This is just an angle RW is using to move on. The Seahawks have tried to bring in FA offensive linemen and picks with little success.

RW has gotten soft. And he’s become a pain in the ass and detrimental to building a good team.

So in your mind because they have tried to bring in O lineman and they have failed Wilson is the bad guy. LOL

Soft.. remind me how many games has he missed? Oh yeah NONE

Pain in the ass ahh your one that thinks he should be quite. Hmm would you feel the same way if it was Hass, Or Bress, OR Rodgers. I am guessing not. I wonder why? hmmm

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Russ is soft. That may be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
Time to move on from this subject, this is useless.
Go Hawks

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nljwh0p5 said:
Yeah, Russ is soft. That may be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
Time to move on from this subject, this is useless.
Go Hawks

Yes in my mind compared to the guy he was he’s gone soft as his bank account has grown.

He’s no Jeff George but he’s not the same guy. You can be durable and still be soft.

I think RW wants out of Seattle and I’d like to get something for him rather than see him walk in FA. RW is a business man. Too much of one for my liking.

But this is why this forum is not much good anymore. People overreact to someone else’s opinion. He’s a great QB but I’ve grown tired of him. I’d rather build the defense and the running game.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has made plenty of headlines this week after he’s come out and complained about getting hit too much. In case you missed it, Wilson said that he’s grown frustrated over how often he’s getting hit and sacked.

In other words, he indirectly called out the play of Seattle’s offensive line. At the same time, Wilson also said he needs to play better in order for the pressure to reduce too. Regardless, Hall-of-Fame offensive tackle Walter Jones has responded to Wilson’s latest comments, and the Seattle hero isn’t pleased at all.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1359313800059523073[/tweet]

Walter Jones let Russell Wilson know how he feels about the quarterback calling out his offensive line
Jones didn’t mince words, as he told Seattle radio host Dave “Softy” Mahler that it would have been best for Wilson to talk with his teammates inside the locker room about his issues instead of talking poorly about their play for the entire world to see.

https://fansided.com/2021/02/09/seahawk ... -comments/

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
ESPN posted a stat that Wilson has been sacked more than any other QB since 1970 in the same time span. No, the OL has not been good.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Someone here says this is ploy to force a move on situation from the team. I frankly don't think so. However, I do think that his contract is one the team wants to redo or massage and this could be RW saying he wants a say in how the $ are spent i.e.: improving his OLine.

Rat

Reaction score
I feel like this front office has actually invested a lot in the OL during Russ' time. It's mostly that they just suck at it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":zpquhqc9 said:

Woops somebody's whagatooshe is sucking wind ^ :roll:

massari

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2d15e53p said:
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has made plenty of headlines this week after he’s come out and complained about getting hit too much. In case you missed it, Wilson said that he’s grown frustrated over how often he’s getting hit and sacked.

In other words, he indirectly called out the play of Seattle’s offensive line. At the same time, Wilson also said he needs to play better in order for the pressure to reduce too. Regardless, Hall-of-Fame offensive tackle Walter Jones has responded to Wilson’s latest comments, and the Seattle hero isn’t pleased at all.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1359313800059523073[/tweet]

Walter Jones let Russell Wilson know how he feels about the quarterback calling out his offensive line
Jones didn’t mince words, as he told Seattle radio host Dave “Softy” Mahler that it would have been best for Wilson to talk with his teammates inside the locker room about his issues instead of talking poorly about their play for the entire world to see.

https://fansided.com/2021/02/09/seahawk ... -comments/
Seems strange that players would take offence to him saying "we have to get better up front" when it comes to pass protection. Don't the players already know they have to get better in pass protection? Seems obvious.

And he rightfully excluded Duane Brown after he made that comment.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Good, Wilson needs to speak up. Yes, scheme and Russell Wilson's tendencies account for a large number of sacks, but even accounting that, Russell Wilson was the third most pressured QB last season. Pete Carroll has struggled to field a competent offensive line since he's gotten here. Our best season at O-Line was in 2013, even then it was kind of iffy.

Here in Seattle we've given Wilson a raw deal. Pete relies on him to pull out 4th quarter magic, but handcuffs Wilson severely. He doesn't have the same agency or trust that other top QB's have from his head coach, and that is a major problem. We're in year 9 and Wilson is still being treated like a rookie QB in many regards. It is absolutely unacceptable, especially when you're paying the guy as much as you are.

In addition to that our choices on the line are questionable. This offseason we had some shots at legitimate pro-bowl level talent in guys such as Jack Conklin. Instead we went out and spent money on a bunch of nobodies and washed up TE's. We also had guys such as Graham Glasgow, and Larry Warford available on the interior. Graham Glasgow would have solidified our LG, or center position. We could've had a decent line with Brown, Glasgow, Procic, Lewis, and Shell, or Brown, Larry Warford, Procic, Lewis and Jack Conklin. My god, that right side of the line would have completely mauled even the best of D-Lines in the run game.

Our personal decisions on offensive line have always been questionable to say the least. Pete wants to run the ball, but we're not doing ourselves any favor in the trenches for running the ball, or protecting Wilson.