Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russ Trade Possibilities Thread.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Russ Trade Possibilities Thread.
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:20 am
  • NJlargent wrote:The fact that there’s a discussion out there about trading Wilson is just further evidence of what a failure PC is. Wilson should have been a hawk his whole career with multiple rings. Mismanaged badly.

Absolutely agree 1000%
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Re: Russ to Las Vegas?
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:58 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:Wilson doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with Gruden's harsh criticism.

If he can't handle being held accountable by Pete, there's no way he would handle Gruden.

I think Russ has proven he is as resilient as they come. Don't mistake the nice guy exterior for lack of internal toughness.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 am
  • Rat wrote:
    SarG3Hawk wrote:If Miami calls and offers:

Tua + their two 1sts + next years first and then maybe sprinkle some 2nd or 3rd round pick...
    Do you guys think it’s worth considering?

Easily. I like the idea of targeting Tua while his stock is lower, and then getting someone like Sewell to protect him right off the bat? That'd be an amazing package.

Sure, if you enjoy going 7-9 for the next 5 years and finishing a consistent 3rd in the division. Amazing doesn;t quite describe it...
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 am
  • Tusc2000 wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    SarG3Hawk wrote:If Miami calls and offers:

Tua + their two 1sts + next years first and then maybe sprinkle some 2nd or 3rd round pick...
    Do you guys think it’s worth considering?

Easily. I like the idea of targeting Tua while his stock is lower, and then getting someone like Sewell to protect him right off the bat? That'd be an amazing package.

Sure, if you enjoy going 7-9 for the next 5 years and finishing a consistent 3rd in the division. Amazing doesn;t quite describe it...

I'd aim higher than that, but even in your scenario, we'd only have one fewer playoff win than we've had over the past four seasons. And even that was a one-possession against a 9-7 team from the league's worst division with a 40-year-old QB who had never taken a snap in a playoff game.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:30 am
  • If Carroll somehow is the impetus for Wilson's departure then Pete would literally be responsible for the 2 biggest Ls in Seahawk football history.

That would be a big part of his legacy.

He won us a SB. Probably the most important win in the history of Seattle sports. Maybe more than any other championship here.

But man, he would be wearing out his welcome fast if he drives Wilson off.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:48 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:If Carroll somehow is the impetus for Wilson's departure then Pete would literally be responsible for the 2 biggest Ls in Seahawk football history.

That would be a big part of his legacy.

He won us a SB. Probably the most important win in the history of Seattle sports. Maybe more than any other championship here.

But man, he would be wearing out his welcome fast if he drives Wilson off.

Times are changing man!

Carroll better get off his high horse in believing his way is the only way of winning.

Cause if he continues this he’ll inevitably lose Wilson in the process.

Jody Allen better open her eyes and understand Wilson vs Carroll is now her responsibility and she needs to make a call who she would like to please more.

I am loving this! This makes for a very compelling off-season!

Got my popcorn ready!

Let’s see how this plays out!
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 am
  • Seattle would be interested in a trade with a AFC team like NYJ, PATs, MAI or CAR ok carolina is a NFC team.

First, Seattle wants to select there next QB. Russ should draw a top 10 selection plus extras, meaning more picks. Why? Its a cap thing. One player they may be interested in is Tray Lance.

But, my money is on Russ being our starting QB for 2021.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

IF they trade Russ...
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:41 pm
  • What is the answer at QB? It's incredibly unlikely they would trade him for another QB like Watson. It will most likely be for 1sts. All I know is that Geno is NOT the answer. They will have to pick someone up in the draft.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Re: IF they trade Russ...
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Russ to Las Vegas?
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:54 pm
  • FearTheHawk wrote:I read an article saying that Las Vegas is interested in Russ and that he has strong ties to Gruden. What do people think about a potential Russ trade to Vegas for Carr and a draft haul?

Hell no i just don't trust this FO in the draft anymore. They should never have extended Pete for that many years just not a smart decision. If it comes down to Wilson or Pete for me it's not even close . Pete your fired.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:47 pm
  • The biggest mistake the Hawks organization made was giving Pete free reign over the entire organization. He has no one to answer to except Jody Allen. No accountability whatsoever, and that's never a good thing in any organization.

I've often wondered if Pete and JS are on the same page when it comes to the overall philosophies of the team. I guess since JS and Pete just signed long-term extensions, (JS after Pete), you would think they would be. But then money can be very convincing, and everyone has a price, and we all know Jody has more money than god.

But if JS were allowed to move on from Pete and hire his own HC, I wonder who it would be and what type of philosophies he would bring to Seattle? I think it's an interesting question, though probably a pointless one at this stage.

Probably a little off-topic for this thread.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:04 am

• I don't want to piss in anyone's cheerios, but there is zero possibility Wilson is traded during the off-season.

Maybe in the summer after June 1, even then very unlikely.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:49 am
  • Fade wrote:

I don't want to piss in anyone's cheerios, but there is zero possibility Wilson is traded during the off-season.

Don't know that anyone wants Russell traded so don't think your pissing in anyone Cheerios.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:43 am
  • getnasty wrote:
    Fade wrote:

I don't want to piss in anyone's cheerios, but there is zero possibility Wilson is traded during the off-season.

Don't know that anyone wants Russell traded so don't think your pissing in anyone Cheerios.

Oh…trust me, there are plenty who do.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:58 am
  • Fade wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Oh…trust me, there are plenty who do.

I'm critical of Wilson as are many but that doesn't mean we don't want him or don't think he's one of the top 5 QB's in the game.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:17 am

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:02 pm
  • James in PA wrote:Has anyone seen this ridiculous 4 way trade suggestion? So we end up with Jimmy G and the Niners get Deshaun Watson? Um, hard pass.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-yo ... am-darnold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I saw it too. Complete fairy dust reporting on something they came up with in their own mind at around 2:30 in the morning. Just idiotic.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:26 pm
  • Fade wrote:

I'm open to trading Russell because it's fun to speculate, and I found his comments unprofessional. I'm not sure how many people are actively expecting a trade to happen (I'm not). Nonetheless, if Russ wanted to facilitate trade, then his dead cap number is essentially meaningless, right? Am I wrong in assuming he could restructure his contract?

Ultimately, trading Russell at any point in the future is going to come down to the Seahawks. I have zero doubt that if the price was right, and it was in their best interests, they'd trade him.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm
  • I look at it this way, if Russell really wanted out he would renegotiate his contract to go to the team he allowed to be traded to.

It's not hard since he has the keys if the Seahawks and him want to make it happen.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:17 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I look at it this way, if Russell really wanted out he would renegotiate his contract to go to the team he allowed to be traded to.

It's not hard since he has the keys if the Seahawks and him want to make it happen.

You make a good point. He could restructure his contract if he really wanted out.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:34 pm
  • I hope he does..
    Once he threw the OL under the bus it was over...
    Why would those guys want to play hard for him after that?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:36 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I look at it this way, if Russell really wanted out he would renegotiate his contract to go to the team he allowed to be traded to.

You make a good point. He could restructure his contract if he really wanted out.

I'm not sure that would help. Everything I've come across says the 39m dead cap doesn't change no matter what you do with the contract. The only thing you could do is agree to a trade now and designate it post June1, so the dead cap would get split 13m/26m over the 2021/2022.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:37 pm
  • I am down in Vegas and just talked to a friend today up there. I was pretty shocked to hear this kind of talk about Russell. I don't know what to say except I hope this is not true. I know that I have also heard that Russell would like to be in a larger market. I am not sure how much I believe that but it has been bandied around. Whatever the Hawks do they better find a way to protect him. He is getting killed back there. I think he has to take some responsibility along with the O coordinator. After watching Rodgers pick apart the Rams I truly believe that with the right offensive schemes we could do the same. That being said I think the Hawks would be crazy trading off Russ. I suppose it could happen but at this point I think he is not going anywhere. IMO
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:38 pm
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I look at it this way, if Russell really wanted out he would renegotiate his contract to go to the team he allowed to be traded to.

I'm not sure that would help. Everything I've come across says the 39m dead cap doesn't change no matter what you do with the contract. The only thing you could do is agree to a trade now and designate it post June1, so the dead cap would get split 13m/26m over the 2021/2022.

He can payback part of his signing bonus to get it down and just recoup that in a new deal with his new team. Not that I think it'll happen, but there are ways to make it work if it's the way he wants to go.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:21 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

He can payback part of his signing bonus to get it down and just recoup that in a new deal with his new team. Not that I think it'll happen, but there are ways to make it work if it's the way he wants to go.

There is that, but I'd put the odds of that happening pretty low form the way his camp has been operating
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:33 pm
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:You make a good point. He could restructure his contract if he really wanted out.

There is that, but I'd put the odds of that happening pretty low form the way his camp has been operating

Wilson will at least play out 2020, but I get the feeling that if he doesn't like what he sees from Carroll he is peacing out.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:36 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:I hope he does..
    Once he threw the OL under the bus it was over...
    Why would those guys want to play hard for him after that?

Because they are grown ass men who have future contracts to negotiate and understand that playing even $h!t than they already do just to spite RW is peak idiocy?
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 pm
  • RW will only be traded if the Seahawks want one or more of the QB’s in the draft and get a draft pick that will enable them to acquire that pick. Jax, NY, and Miami, are the only options right now.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:38 pm
  • Two things, this is not the year to Draft College talent, too many have set out, too many programs changed schedules to just get on the field and against subpar talent for their divisions of rank.

Not a lot of scouting, not a lot of interviews.

Next year hopefully is better.

This all plays into established players that are good, the crap shoot for the draft became almost a blind crapshoot.

The F.A. period is going to end up being a cut and sign frenzy, teams are looking for QB's and cutting salary as well as rebuild or building all at once and will be doing it with Free Agents. Draft picks if they manage to find a good talent will be a bonus.

We seen what lack of camps and practice did this last year, Rookies over all had issues getting up to speed and in shape, yes there are outliers but over all.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:RW will only be traded if the Seahawks want one or more of the QB’s in the draft and get a draft pick that will enable them to acquire that pick. Jax, NY, and Miami, are the only options right now.

If they were willing to trade Russ, then they'd be committed to taking an initial step backward and maybe wait on finding a QB right away. So, I wouldn't rule out teams like Denver, Carolina, or even Washington.

For example, if Washington offered Chase Young, two 1sts, and two 2nds for Russ, it's smarter to take that deal than trying to hit on a QB early in the draft. Chase Young removes a major risk of trading Russ for picks since you'd be guaranteeing a franchise-caliber player in return.

With that said, I highly doubt Washington would ever make that trade. Young still has 3 years of team control, and he's shown the potential to have a Myles Garret type impact on their defense. Nonetheless, If I was Pete and JS, that's the type of player I'd be looking to build a trade around. Then you can use the remaining assets to target the QB you want in the next draft/free agency.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Would you trade Wilson for Watson ?
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:18 pm
  • Straight up ? I would.
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Would you trade Wilson for Watson ?
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:58 pm
  • K.J WRIGHT wrote:Straight up ? I would.

Yes, him or Mahomes are the only 2 I would.
    Both because they have more tread left on the tire.

Won’t happen though as why would the Texans do it?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:02 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    K.J WRIGHT wrote:Straight up ? I would.

Yes, him or Mahomes are the only 2 I would.
    Both because they have more tread left on the tire.

Won’t happen though as why would the Texans do it?

Russell would have to approve, I am betting having Duane Brown as his blind side protector he has heard a lot about Houston and the Texans. I doubt this ever happens.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:42 am
  • At first, I want to say yes. Watson is much younger with similar talent. But then I ask myself, "Will Watson be a Hall of Famer some day?" Honestly, I can't answer that. What I can answer is that Russell already has cemented his place in Canton. So you are risking trading a sure fire Hall of Fame QB who likely has another 8-10 years left and all those stats and memories would entail, for a talented, younger QB that may never reach Russ' achievements when all is said and done.

If Russ was 38 it's a no-brainer. But he's 32. These days that's still young for a QB and in his prime.

A gun to my head? I would say no. But that comes with the caveat that Russ remains healthy and team chemistry is restored.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:47 am
  • "Sale it while it runs"

Russ has been ran over from the day he got here. Anyone's body would be breaking down by now. I think the intence fan/Front office can see that he is slowing down and slowing down fast! Everyone else in the country sees the mad TDs he is putting up.

The time to move on Russ is now!! Should we wait a year and 2 injuries later, let his feet dragging be exposed and get a 3rd rounder for him next year because no one wants an old QB at a MVP price tag?

Watson? Sure. A younger version of Russ. But I would prefer some major draft capital!
    Hawks2022
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:57 am
  • Yes, in a heartbeat. First off, Russell Wilson is not a HOFer QB as it sits now. If his career trajectory continues he is in the hall of the very good, not hall of fame. I think Wilson knows that, it's why he keeps using the legacy word.

Yes, he does have a Super Bowl victory, but he is just a footnote in that win. The legion of boom is what the people think about when they hear "Seahawks Super Bowl". Many people just saw Wilson as just being along for the ride. In 2014 he made a Super Bowl, but the narrative is "they should've ran it" and Marshawn Lynch is seen as the hero, while Wilson, along with Carroll was seen more as the main factors that contributed to the Seahawks loss. Without Marshawn and the legion of Boom the Seahawks have one playoff win in four years.

So, while Wilson has postseason success, it has a giant asterisk next to it due to the LOB, and his role during those years. When given the chance people see Wilson as the choke artist that blew it. Since the departure of Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor, the Seahawks only have a single playoff win to their name.

While Wilson is very good, he doesn't have a single first or second team all-pro or MVP to his name. His team has been mediocre, and he's been wildly inconsistent in the second half of the seasons. His career to date is a story of almosts. He almost beat teams in the playoffs, he almost won two Super Bowls, he almost won the MVP, but he came short in every endeavor. A lot of this is Pete Carroll's fault, but none the less, that is the narrative as it sits. In an era filled with gaudy passing numbers, I don't think his current body of work would get him in.

Now onto the pressing matter, yes -- I would straight up swap Wilson for Watson right now and not think twice about it. I think not saying yes to that trade would be foolish. DeShaun Watson is only 25, Wilson is 32, despite that his 2020 campaign is on par with anything Wilson's done in his career. A 70 percent completion rating, close to 5,000 yards, 33 TDs and 7 INTs. That is better than all but one year of Wilson's, and he has a worse supporting cast in just about every way. He can do the same things as Wilson, and he has a very similar skillset, extremely good deep ball, and he's also really good at short, timing routes. Watson is one of the only QB's, like Wilson that could thrive in Pete Carroll's antiquated system. They're very similar in skill levels, only one is 7 years younger.
    Last edited by Spin Doctor on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:06 am
  • Yes and so would Pete and John. Not gonna happen but Watson, Josh Allen, Mahomes are probably the only 3 i'm trding for Russ start up.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:01 am
  • Yes its a no brainer
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:18 am
  • K.J WRIGHT wrote:Straight up ? I would.

Absolutely :2thumbs:
    beaumaris
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 am
  • Yes.

Watson, Allen, Herbert, Mayfield, Lawrence, Zach Wilson and Burrows. Age, contract, potential, leadership abilities etc.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 am
  • No! Watson hasn’t done anything yet and he will do the same thing to Seattle he’s doing to Houston!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 am
  • The team surrounding a QB determines his "legacy". Wilson knows that and Watson's result bear it out as well. Had Watson been in Seattle he would have enjoyed greater success than has been afforded by Houston. The fact that Houston has been a factor is a great testament to Watson's potential. IMO the top 3 QBs in the marketable league are Mahomes, Watson, and Wilson (alphabetical listing).
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:14 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:Yes.

Watson, Allen, Herbert, Mayfield, Lawrence, Zach Wilson and Burrows. Age, contract, potential, leadership abilities etc.

I'd take out Mayfield and Zach Wilson from that group, and add Mahomes. Otherwise, I agree.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:46 pm
  • Some very good points fella's.......thank you !
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:59 pm
  • Russ has ...Refinements, I'd expect a 3rd round pick.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:52 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Yes, in a heartbeat. First off, Russell Wilson is not a HOFer QB as it sits now. If his career trajectory continues he is in the hall of the very good, not hall of fame. I think Wilson knows that, it's why he keeps using the legacy word.

Yes, he does have a Super Bowl victory, but he is just a footnote in that win. The legion of boom is what the people think about when they hear "Seahawks Super Bowl". Many people just saw Wilson as just being along for the ride. In 2014 he made a Super Bowl, but the narrative is "they should've ran it" and Marshawn Lynch is seen as the hero, while Wilson, along with Carroll was seen more as the main factors that contributed to the Seahawks loss. Without Marshawn and the legion of Boom the Seahawks have one playoff win in four years.

So, while Wilson has postseason success, it has a giant asterisk next to it due to the LOB, and his role during those years. When given the chance people see Wilson as the choke artist that blew it. Since the departure of Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor, the Seahawks only have a single playoff win to their name.

While Wilson is very good, he doesn't have a single first or second team all-pro or MVP to his name. His team has been mediocre, and he's been wildly inconsistent in the second half of the seasons. His career to date is a story of almosts. He almost beat teams in the playoffs, he almost won two Super Bowls, he almost won the MVP, but he came short in every endeavor. A lot of this is Pete Carroll's fault, but none the less, that is the narrative as it sits. In an era filled with gaudy passing numbers, I don't think his current body of work would get him in.

Now onto the pressing matter, yes -- I would straight up swap Wilson for Watson right now and not think twice about it. I think not saying yes to that trade would be foolish. DeShaun Watson is only 25, Wilson is 32, despite that his 2020 campaign is on par with anything Wilson's done in his career. A 70 percent completion rating, close to 5,000 yards, 33 TDs and 7 INTs. That is better than all but one year of Wilson's, and he has a worse supporting cast in just about every way. He can do the same things as Wilson, and he has a very similar skillset, extremely good deep ball, and he's also really good at short, timing routes. Watson is one of the only QB's, like Wilson that could thrive in Pete Carroll's antiquated system. They're very similar in skill levels, only one is 7 years younger.

Russel Wilson would go to the Hall of Fame if he retired today.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:00 pm
  • Here's an idea.. how about a straght up trade with Texas.. here's the breakdown, Texas gets Russ.. Seattle Gets Watson..
    Kinda simple.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:21 pm
  • Welshers wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Yes, in a heartbeat. First off, Russell Wilson is not a HOFer QB as it sits now. If his career trajectory continues he is in the hall of the very good, not hall of fame. I think Wilson knows that, it's why he keeps using the legacy word.

Russel Wilson would go to the Hall of Fame if he retired today.

He absolutely would not go into the HOF. The HOF is all about narratives and story lines. Shaun Alexander has HOF numbers but has yet to make it into the HOF. Why? The narrative surrounding him. Wilson sans the LOB has an extremely poor post season success, and he’s largely been seen as piggie backing off their success in the first SuperBowl, and costing them a second. A lot of that is due to Carroll but people won’t see it that way.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:47 pm
  • KinesProf wrote:
    JayhawkMike wrote:Yes.

I'd take out Mayfield and Zach Wilson from that group, and add Mahomes. Otherwise, I agree.

:ditto:
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 pm
  • Fans can be so fickle .Wilson was once god . LOL
    xray
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]