Seahawk free agent signings question

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m trying to remember the last free agent we signed from another team that was in their prime and playing at a pro bowl level.

Yes, we have signed our own, traded for quality players in their prime but I’m blanking on the last high level free agent we signed. I’ll go look but if anyone remembers ...

KinesProf

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":12se7m4x said:
I’m trying to remember the last free agent we signed from another team that was in their prime and playing at a pro bowl level.

Yes, we have signed our own, traded for quality players in their prime but I’m blanking on the last high level free agent we signed. I’ll go look but if anyone remembers ...

Myers in 2019.

Rat

Reaction score
Probably Cliff Avril, who we signed at 26 years old, coming off a 9.5 sack season in Detroit. I thought maybe Cary Williams, but I don't recall if he was still in his prime at 31.

Forthewin

Reaction score
The top scoring position in the NFL. The best kicker in the NFL...yeah, Myers counts.

Storts

Reaction score
Rat":25spydff said:
Probably Cliff Avril, who we signed at 26 years old, coming off a 9.5 sack season in Detroit. I thought maybe Cary Williams, but I don't recall if he was still in his prime at 31.

Did Cary Williams ever have a prime?

getnasty

Reaction score
Rat":33m4me98 said:

I was so high on Cary Williams too and boy did he fail big time here. I'm glad somebody else was willing to admit that.

Seattle is not an organization that signs big named free agents, trade for them yes but sign in free agency no.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Earlier in Pete's tenure we had quite a few free agent signings that were successful. Think Cliff Avril, Tony McDaniel Michael Bennett, and Zach Miller. Technically Brandon Browner was also a free agent signing, he came from a different league though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawks 'n Nucks":2ryeh5cy said:
Eddie Lacy averaged 5.1 yards per carry the year before the Hawks signed him :D

But he fell in love with Chinese when he arrived here.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It was China food before he was traded and that is why the fat guy was traded. JS whiffed on that one for sure. I wonder how much over 300 lbs. Lacy now weighs? Sometime hoping the underperforming player will get it or will renew their fire to play is recipe for failure.

There are lots of reasons why teams fail to re-sign or trade players: character, team fit, or the reality the player is simply not worth their contract expectations, cap limitations, or their injuries have reached a critical point that marks the significant down turn in their careers. Historically league wise the majority of expensive FAa don't work out well for their new team.