Fire Pete

misfit

Reaction score
Just Fire Pete and we can end this all.

The oline is clearly an issue, but I don't even think this is the main one. This is years of build of frustration of Russ not being trusted and not being taken care of. I think the oline is something that bugs him and its part of the big picture. I do think that Shannon had a point about Russ wanting to play till 40 and cant to that with all this hits, but its bigger. There are major philosophical things. Every time Russ has big years the OC is fired. There is no stability. Last season I feel was a backbreaker for Russ, he had a few bad games and Pete went back in time to 2013 again instantly. Russ is tired of that, and its not the solution.

Would you rather have russ for the next 8 years or Pete for the next 4? I dont see them coexisting past next season. I think its an easy decision. I think this is Russ power move to push Pete out or Russ is happy moving on.

Pete has been great and I appreciate what hes done but he can't take us any further, its time to move on

evergreen

Reaction score
I don't think Pete told Russell to hold on to the ball forever against the Rams. I don't think he told him to not take what was given. We've all seen the video of Russ not throwing to open receivers for some reason.
If we had early season Russ at the end we could've gone all the way. He was less than his usual self for what ever reason. I thought with Brandon Shell we'd be good again. Didn't happen. He just hasn't looked right since Buffalo.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't understand the narrative so many are pushing about Russ not being trusted. If they didn't trust him he wouldn't be here, let alone with the 2nd highest cap hit in the NFL last season.

Volume and efficiency are completely distinct and often opposing concepts. A big reason why Russ has been such a valuable QB over his entire career is that he is efficient with the football. He has 267 TDs to just 81 INTs over his career, with a completion percentage of 65.1% and a career INT% of 1.9%. Pete made him the highest paid player in NFL history at the time of the last extension because he trusts him to take care of the football.

Next, take a look at how coaches around the NFL talk about their players publicly. There were two different storylines last season about Bruce Arians calling out Tom Brady in the media for not playing well, which is two more than Pete has ever created in regards to Russ over his whole career.

Consider that Russ has the most famous interception in NFL history and you've never seen a single word from Pete suggesting he could have thrown a better pass. When Russ does have bad games and Pete is asked about him, nearly all of his air-time consists of talking about how other facets of the game could have gone better to help Russ out. The defensive shakeup we had to go through was in large part due to many feeling that Russ was getting unfair preferential treatment from the coaching staff.

Finally, it's OK to say that taking care of the football is important for this team. This season we were 12-0 when Russ had 1 turnover or less, and 0-4 when he had 2 or more turnovers.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
AgentDib":2jceh8my said:
I don't understand the narrative so many are pushing about Russ not being trusted. If they didn't trust him he wouldn't be here, let alone with the 2nd highest cap hit in the NFL last season.

Volume and efficiency are completely distinct and often opposing concepts. A big reason why Russ has been such a valuable QB over his entire career is that he is efficient with the football. He has 267 TDs to just 81 INTs over his career, with a completion percentage of 65.1% and a career INT% of 1.9%. Pete made him the highest paid player in NFL history at the time of the last extension because he trusts him to take care of the football.

Next, take a look at how coaches around the NFL talk about their players publicly. There were two different storylines last season about Bruce Arians calling out Tom Brady in the media for not playing well, which is two more than Pete has ever created in regards to Russ over his whole career.

Consider that Russ has the most famous interception in NFL history and you've never seen a single word from Pete suggesting he could have thrown a better pass. When Russ does have bad games and Pete is asked about him, nearly all of his air-time consists of talking about how other facets of the game could have gone better to help Russ out. The defensive shakeup we had to go through was in large part due to many feeling that Russ was getting unfair preferential treatment from the coaching staff.

Finally, it's OK to say that taking care of the football is important for this team. This season we were 12-0 when Russ had 1 turnover or less, and 0-4 when he had 2 or more turnovers.
Wilson isn't being trusted. He is not given agency in this offense. Pete Carroll doesn't trust him with throws over the middle, he doesn't trust him to make adjustments at the LOS, and he doesn't trust him enough to get over a streak of turnovers. Russell Wilson is on an extremely short leash compared to other elite quarterbacks. Pure number of attempts don't tell the whole story here. The way the offense is structured in the passing routes, the lack of control at the LOS, and Russ has eluded to not having much ability to change plays and protection at the LOS.

Carroll needs to go, he never is going to accomplish a single thing in the postseason ever again. 3 wins since 2015, really two wins when you consider that missed chipshot at the final second. Carroll is Marty ball all over again. He is now potentially driving away his best player. I appreciate what he's done for the Seahawks, but Carroll has been fully milked, we've gotten all we're going to get from him. If it is between Carroll and Wilson, Carroll needs to be shown the door.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3hfw9nhi said:
Pete Carroll doesn't trust him with throws over the middle
There has already been plenty of discussion about routes over the middle this last season that were simply not utilized. The idea that we ran routes on gameday that we had no intention of utilizing is flat-earth conspiracy grade nonsense.

he doesn't trust him to make adjustments at the LOS
I have listed detailed examples of Russell calling audibles at the line of scrimmage. He also is involved in changing protection on occasion - see the example I posted recently vs. Redskins where he, Pocic and Simmons changed protection as the play clock was winding down.

and he doesn't trust him enough to get over a streak of turnovers... Russell Wilson is on an extremely short leash compared to other elite quarterbacks. Pure number of attempts don't tell the whole story here. The way the offense is structured in the passing routes, the lack of control at the LOS, and Russ has eluded to not having much ability to change plays and protection at the LOS.
Then explain to me why the team gave Russ the highest contract in the history in the NFL. You can't have it both ways; if Pete Carroll is the bogeyman in charge of everything and responsible for everything that goes wrong then he's also the one who has paid Russ top dollars over the years despite the media generated buzz every extension about Russ going elsewhere.

OP
OP
misfit

misfit

Reaction score
AgentDib":3nd1xmoi said:
Spin Doctor":3nd1xmoi said:
Pete Carroll doesn't trust him with throws over the middle
There has already been plenty of discussion about routes over the middle this last season that were simply not utilized. The idea that we ran routes on gameday that we had no intention of utilizing is flat-earth conspiracy grade nonsense.

he doesn't trust him to make adjustments at the LOS
I have listed detailed examples of Russell calling audibles at the line of scrimmage. He also is involved in changing protection on occasion - see the example I posted recently vs. Redskins where he, Pocic and Simmons changed protection as the play clock was winding down.

and he doesn't trust him enough to get over a streak of turnovers... Russell Wilson is on an extremely short leash compared to other elite quarterbacks. Pure number of attempts don't tell the whole story here. The way the offense is structured in the passing routes, the lack of control at the LOS, and Russ has eluded to not having much ability to change plays and protection at the LOS.
Then explain to me why the team gave Russ the highest contract in the history in the NFL. You can't have it both ways; if Pete Carroll is the bogeyman in charge of everything and responsible for everything that goes wrong then he's also the one who has paid Russ top dollars over the years despite the media generated buzz every extension about Russ going elsewhere.

they gave russ top dollar cuz that was statas quo for the next top qb up. thats how it goes. Jimmy G was the top paid at one point.

Pete has never handed the keys over to russ, as shown when he admitted at the end of the year to reigning in the offense after russ threw a few picks in the middle of the year. it has also been said that there are certain plays that russ is not allow to audible out of.

Isnt it funny that most of the time when we run hurry up at the end of a half or when they have "communication issues" in the helmet the offense runs so much smoother? Pete is in the way.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The fault is immaterial.

It does not matter if the failure falls on Pete or Wilson.

The reality is that Wilson is the most important. So if Pete cannot produce with Wilson or Wilson cannot produce with Pete....we have to get someone that can.

Pete needing to go has been clear for some time.

Not sure if it isn't too late. Wilson may just want the H out of here.