Russell Wilson last 6 years-$156 million and 3 playoff wins

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
That’s a helluva lot of money paid to win 3 playoff games on a missed Viking FG, a backup Eagle QB and the Lions.

That’s his actual earning for the last 6 years.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Wow, very fresh take. I'd like to hear your opinion on whether or not he should take a paycut, how long he holds the ball, and how much time he spends on his perfume brand, as I believe those are topics that have not been discussed and desperately need educated insight.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Don't you think our head coach played a huge part in that? Do you think that was all on Wilson? Is it Russell Wilson that calls an extremely conservative offense until the final hour in the 4th quarter? Is it Russell Wilson that makes won't get the play call in until the final second so he can't make any adjustments? Pete Carroll needs to go, and he's needed to go for awhile now. Do you know how many head coaches have a better records in the playoffs since 2015 than Pete Carroll? The number is quite extensive and that is including McCarthy.

Bottom of the line here, Carroll should only have two wins in the playoffs since our last Super Bowl run. Those two wins were against a 40+ year old McCown who got injured part way through the game, and a Matthew Stafford with a sprained ankle and messed up throwing hand. A lot of our woes come from his conservative coaching style in the postseason, not Wilson.

Fire Pete Carroll, he's washed up, he's Marty Schottenheimer at this point. If it's between Wilson and Carroll, i'm choosing Wilson 10 times out of 10.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
ducks41468":2wpasv6o said:
Wow, very fresh take. I'd like to hear your opinion on whether or not he should take a paycut, how long he holds the ball, and how much time he spends on his perfume brand, as I believe those are topics that have not been discussed and desperately need educated insight.

Bravo!!!

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It’s funny you are lumping me in with the people pushing for a RW trade.

Those are simply irrefutable facts as to RW salary and his post season record.

I’d rather PC be fired 100 times out of 100.

That being said if nothing changes we are in for more of the same. Or worse.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ducks41468":zio9sbx1 said:

Perhaps it would be a fresher take to hear how its all Pete's fault and that the o-line sucks?? Havent seen that at all :roll:

Pretty sure the correct answer is all of the above

Everyone needs to be better, including Russ

TreeRon

Reaction score
We haven't explored Ciara's role and oh yea the kids. RW was single in 2013 and 2014, ah ha !

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I would agree there are a number of players in the league taking down obscene amounts of money for playing a game. With cap restrictions it's really hard to spend all your money at one spot and still surround them with top shelf talent. One guy can't win games all by himself.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Yeah from a fan perspective, it'd be cool if Russell shorted himself and took like 20 million a season. But let's face it, no QB other than Brady has done that (and he has a supermodel wife who has more money than him). Even Carson Wentz, who was terrible last year, is going to count 31 million against the cap next year. If some of you guys want another QB and don't hit a home run in the draft...you basically HAVE to overpay to get someone who is even average to good. That's the reality.

Somos doces

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":2jux72yu said:
Yeah from a fan perspective, it'd be cool if Russell shorted himself and took like 20 million a season. But let's face it, no QB other than Brady has done that (and he has a supermodel wife who has more money than him). Even Carson Wentz, who was terrible last year, is going to count 31 million against the cap next year. If some of you guys want another QB and don't hit a home run in the draft...you basically HAVE to overpay to get someone who is even average to good. That's the reality.
That's actually not a bad idea. If these QBs who think they deserve top money with every new contract were actually serious about wanting their team to win, perhaps they might consider signing for half the going rate.

Clearly RW needs an offensive line that can legitimately protect him while he does his magic. Maybe he and the Hawks should restructure his deal so they can afford those guys.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You nailed it.

That is exactly why he wants out.

Because his head coach is making him look like a failure by godawful gameplans that barely even use Wilson until we are down by several TDs in any playoff game.

And when he does use him, it is to try to make him look like the 2nd coming of Rex Grossman.

The problem is clearly that Wilson is tired of Pete's ish.

He is tired of Pete failing to adjust, failing to strategize, failing to use even basic tactics in a game based on this.

He is tired of Pete walking in with the same unimaginative gameplan, failing to hold his coordinators accountable, and attempting to wedge a 1990s or even 1970s gameplan into a game where the rules are into the 2000s.

Wilson has played the good soldier for a while, and that gets him a legacy as a playoff loser. Because without the LOB, Carroll is a playoff loser as almost any coach will outcoach him on gameday. When the rosters are more evenly matched, being a far worse gameday coach has consequences.

And Wilson is clearly tired of it. Don't blame him.

We will see what he says on Ellen but I imagine he will keep poking the Bear until Carroll loses it or bows to Wilson's demands. And Carroll should bow down, because Wilson has been carrying him since that 2nd SB loss.

chris98251

Reaction score
Don't blame Wilson or any other player for what they make.

It starts with the League and the Union and TV contracts with all that money.

Think about how much the players get and yet ownership still gets what 70 percent of the take from the revenue. I know that has been changed a bit, and the ownership revenue shares also on a lot of items.

But the cap and balance is how they developed the system.

Now the Monster has been created and they can't control the bidding wars between owners.

RCATES

Reaction score
Said this on his first contract. Glorified game manger with deep ball accuracy. Once teams switched to 2-deep safety look he's just a game manager. Not going to move the ball down the field consistently with just his arm. First SB win swooed all the fans into thinking he was Elite.

RCATES

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":acb58kz7 said:
Don't you think our head coach played a huge part in that? Do you think that was all on Wilson? Is it Russell Wilson that calls an extremely conservative offense until the final hour in the 4th quarter? Is it Russell Wilson that makes won't get the play call in until the final second so he can't make any adjustments? Pete Carroll needs to go, and he's needed to go for awhile now. Do you know how many head coaches have a better records in the playoffs since 2015 than Pete Carroll? The number is quite extensive and that is including McCarthy.

Bottom of the line here, Carroll should only have two wins in the playoffs since our last Super Bowl run. Those two wins were against a 40+ year old McCown who got injured part way through the game, and a Matthew Stafford with a sprained ankle and messed up throwing hand. A lot of our woes come from his conservative coaching style in the postseason, not Wilson.

Fire Pete Carroll, he's washed up, he's Marty Schottenheimer at this point. If it's between Wilson and Carroll, i'm choosing Wilson 10 times out of 10.

Is it RW who couldn't beat the 2-deep safety look? YES...................

mrblitz

Reaction score
honestly, maybe the best roster-management tactic is to cycle through qbs... give them their start, and then dump them when it's contract time... devise a way to win without the emphasis on a 'franchise qb'... think outside of the box... just keep drafting guys who can throw the bomb and run the read option, then build up the rushing attack and the defense...

in retrospect, a couple of events during russell's tenure seem to have been big deals. of course, there was the 2015 super bowl, and that could have been avoided by keeping browner. browner was the heart of the defense... not the greatest corner, but psychologically an intimidator...

also, there was the thing with golden tate... if tate isn't chased out of town, maybe things are different...

anyway, maybe there is a better way than 'franchise qb'... 'franchise qb' is the conventional wisdom... time to think outside the box... that's how pete won in the first place...

honestly, maybe never sign anyone to a huge contract at any position... spread the money out over the entire roster... and just win, baby

pinksheets

Reaction score
In theory, drafting QBs good enough to win championships in their first few years and dumping them before the payday would be great, but it took us how long to draft one guy like that? In reality, you're not going to find a guy like that multiple times, especially if you're winning and drafting in the back half.

Not to mention you run into QBs on the second half of their rookie deal wanting out since they know no payday is coming from their team.

It's an "in a perfect world and everything goes exactly right for you" approach that I don't think can be realistically implemented or relied upon.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2pj526n6 said:
You nailed it.

That is exactly why he wants out.

Because his head coach is making him look like a failure by godawful gameplans that barely even use Wilson until we are down by several TDs in any playoff game.

And when he does use him, it is to try to make him look like the 2nd coming of Rex Grossman.

The problem is clearly that Wilson is tired of Pete's ish.

He is tired of Pete failing to adjust, failing to strategize, failing to use even basic tactics in a game based on this.

He is tired of Pete walking in with the same unimaginative gameplan, failing to hold his coordinators accountable, and attempting to wedge a 1990s or even 1970s gameplan into a game where the rules are into the 2000s.

Wilson has played the good soldier for a while, and that gets him a legacy as a playoff loser. Because without the LOB, Carroll is a playoff loser as almost any coach will outcoach him on gameday. When the rosters are more evenly matched, being a far worse gameday coach has consequences.

And Wilson is clearly tired of it. Don't blame him.

We will see what he says on Ellen but I imagine he will keep poking the Bear until Carroll loses it or bows to Wilson's demands. And Carroll should bow down, because Wilson has been carrying him since that 2nd SB loss.
Do you think the FO sees Russell as a QB that can carry the load or a QB that needs a running game and really solid D to get it done? I think that is where the disconnect is between the two camps. All of this other talk about O-line and sacks or protection is just noise. The real issue is Russell sees himself one way and the Seahawks see him another way.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
RCATES":14auzil3 said:
Said this on his first contract. Glorified game manger with deep ball accuracy. Once teams switched to 2-deep safety look he's just a game manager. Not going to move the ball down the field consistently with just his arm. First SB win swooed all the fans into thinking he was Elite.

So you are saying that it took teams 9 years to figure out Wilson couldn't play against 2 deep safeties?

That seems like something you'd figure out week 6. Clearly we need far better DC's in this league if that was the case.

It's the gameplan that beats 2 deep safeties, not the QB. If teams are going to play a light box, you need to be able to take advantage of that with screens, running plays and some TE throws. I can't recall us using TE's or screens to any significant degree and that's not on the QB.

There is a reason Schotty was fired. He couldn't adapt to the 2 deep safety looks because his offense is too rudimentary. Pete Ball wasn't the problem, Marty Ball was.

Elemas

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2kbfp6cr said:
RCATES":2kbfp6cr said:

So you are saying that it took teams 9 years to figure out Wilson couldn't play against 2 deep safeties?

That seems like something you'd figure out week 6. Clearly we need far better DC's in this league if that was the case.

It's the gameplan that beats 2 deep safeties, not the QB. If teams are going to play a light box, you need to be able to take advantage of that with screens, running plays and some TE throws. I can't recall us using TE's or screens to any significant degree and that's not on the QB.

There is a reason Schotty was fired. He couldn't adapt to the 2 deep safety looks because his offense is too rudimentary. Pete Ball wasn't the problem, Marty Ball was.

Don’t believe this at all. Couldn’t adjust? His offense was torching defenses. I’m waiting for the statement where Pete ordered him to ...you know....play Pete Ball. Couple of interceptions and instant philosophy reversal.

Schotty would’ve thrown short routes, up the middle...RW is by far capable of doing this as well.

There’s a chance you’re right ofc. But if I had to bet money, this demise falls on Pete.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Orange,

I think the fact the organization has not made a single supporting statement or even an interview 'we are committed to working with Russell to make this work for both side' type of non-statement...tells you all there is to know.

The organization is doing nothing to show their support. The silence is actually deafening.

Which means someone is being petty and emotional, likely on both sides at this point, but it means the chance at resolution is likely nil.

Only Pete Carroll could be short sighted enough not to realize that he is going to put himself in a circumstance where he has to take a 20M-30M cap hit because he refused to at least give the illusion of kowtowing to his star QB.