Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After Taking it all in

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
After Taking it all in
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:03 pm
  • After taking everything in. Russell's comments, leaks from his camp to their media people, the timing of all of these things. Combining all of that stuff with what's been coming from his camp starting from last off-season and it all adds up to Russell really wanting out, but doesn't want to be perceived as the bad guy. There is no other reason that makes any sense to do what he and his camp have done. There's nothing he can gain from doing this outside of hopefully poisoning the well enough to get out and hoping everyone blames Pete/John for the divorce. If he really does want out, I would hope he would have enough balls to come out and own it at some point. The longer this thing carries momentum in the media, the more chance the locker room is gonna be a hostile place.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Re: After Taking it all in
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:09 pm
  • Of course he wants out.

The issue is why Pete let it get to this point. Wilson WARNED Pete this past season. It was literally leaked that if Pete did not open the offense up and 'Let Russ Cook' that Russ would be gone. And for a while it worked but then Pete clamped down on it.

Well, Wilson was not kidding. The very quote (paraphrased) was that if they did not let Russ cook he would find somewhere else that would.

So when Pete shut the offense down, he screwed himself. He was warned if not threatened. Chose to disregard and that moment he did - Wilson started planning his exit. When Watson showed you can do it early, Wilsons camp started the process early.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:12 pm
  • I think this is his effort to push Pete out.

We'll see if it works.
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 pm
  • RW will be in Dallas next season.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:36 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Of course he wants out.

The issue is why Pete let it get to this point. Wilson WARNED Pete this past season. It was literally leaked that if Pete did not open the offense up and 'Let Russ Cook' that Russ would be gone. And for a while it worked but then Pete clamped down on it.

Well, Wilson was not kidding. The very quote (paraphrased) was that if they did not let Russ cook he would find somewhere else that would.

So when Pete shut the offense down, he screwed himself. He was warned if not threatened. Chose to disregard and that moment he did - Wilson started planning his exit. When Watson showed you can do it early, Wilsons camp started the process early.

I don't really care about the how/why. I just want him to come out and say it, so it can be dealt with and we can get as much as we can for him. I'm not mad at him. Just man up and say it publicly. Some fans will hate him forever, some won't no matter what, so just do it. I'm perfectly ok with trading him, Bobby, and Adams then running it back. I'm actually kind of excited about the thought of it.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42 pm
  • misfit wrote:I think this is his effort to push Pete out.

We'll see if it works.

Could be, we'll see, but I think that is a much taller task then forcing a trade. John/Pete were extended to be the caretakers until the team sells at some point, I would guess. That being the case, Russ will be the one to go. If they do trade him, they might as well tear it down to the studs or at least trade Russ, Bobby, Adams, and maybe another vet or 2 that have trade value. Accumulate as many picks and other young player assets to start over with.

I'd be more excited about that than going into next season as is.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42 pm
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Of course he wants out.

I don't really care about the how/why. I just want him to come out and say it, so it can be dealt with and we can get as much as we can for him. I'm not mad at him. Just man up and say it publicly. Some fans will hate him forever, some won't no matter what, so just do it. I'm perfectly ok with trading him, Bobby, and Adams then running it back. I'm actually kind of excited about the thought of it.

Yeah, I can't wait to get back to the pre-Russ era of 30+ years mostly ranging from bottom feeding to mediocrity and not having a franchise QB. What's not to be excited about?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:30 am
  • Orange,

If the issue is Carroll and the cost is Wilson...wouldn't it be easier just to cater to Wilson's whims?

You want to trade away a HOF QB IN HIS PRIME in order to make the 98 year old head coach (who is one LifeAlert alarm from not being on the Seahawks anyway) happy?

That makes no sense.

Unless you are shooting to get the stadium naming rights sponsored by HoverRound, the choice between Pete and Wilson ALWAYS has to be Wilson.
    Last edited by TwistedHusky on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:32 am
  • pinksheets wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait to get back to the pre-Russ era of 30+ years mostly ranging from bottom feeding to mediocrity and not having a franchise QB. What's not to be excited about?

If he wants out there isn't much else you can do except maximize the return. Even if you want Pete fired and Russ kept, I don't think that will happen. Maybe it will, but that is the only other option. I personally don't think they will go that route. It would be stupid to keep him and Pete after he's made it clear that he wants out. How do you think the players are gonna respond to him knowing he doesn't want to be there? That would be a disaster.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 am
  • This isn’t about wanting out. This is about respect. When you demand respect, you are also willing to walk away.

In life, some people are granted respect and adoration, and only have to avoid not screwing it up. And others have to claw, beg, hope for respect. And despite everything that they are, they never get it.

Russell Wilson is the latter. He has been a great human being, a great face of the franchise. A “good well behaved boy.” He has likely been begging, pleading with the Seahawks for years. Hoping that the organization will respect him, that the fan base will stand up for him. It hasn’t happened. So people like Wilson, have to stir the pot. They have to get in people’s faces and sacrifice their reputation. Otherwise, you, Pete, John, won’t care. You’ll talk about how nice of a guy he is, and how much you like him. But that doesn’t mean you RESPECT him. Respecting him is wanting him to have an elite O-line, not an average one.

Wilson is saying at this point, if you won’t respect him, screw it. He’ll go somewhere else. He is likely prepared for that. The Seahawks lose in that scenario. From ticket prices to prime time, Wilson’s impact on this team is tremendous. The only other player currently that can bring that kind of juice to Seattle is Watson, and Wilson knows that Watson misses games, and struggled at times in a weaker division. He is the captain now, like it or not
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:43 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:Respecting him is wanting him to have an elite O-line, not an average one.

This didn't sound the least bit crazy to you while you were writing it? All of us want the OL to be elite, but making that some sort of pre-requisite for respecting Russ is really bizarre. Presumably you think Russ deserves elite offensive playmaking weapons as well? How is having a top paid QB along with elite weapons along with elite OL remotely feasible to you under a fixed salary cap as some sort of minimum standard for respecting a player.

Did Brady have an elite OL in Tampa Bay? Did Mahomes have an elite OL the previous year in KC? He was on a rookie contract, so they had the money. Did Brady have an elite OL two years ago with the Patriots? Did the Eagles have an elite OL the year before that? The last time a team won the Super Bowl with a top paid OL was back in 2013 when the Seattle Seahawks did it. Do none of these other Super Bowl winners respect their QBs except for us, except apparently we are the ones you say who do not respect our QB?
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:17 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:This isn’t about wanting out. This is about respect. When you demand respect, you are also willing to walk away.

In life, some people are granted respect and adoration, and only have to avoid not screwing it up. And others have to claw, beg, hope for respect. And despite everything that they are, they never get it.

Russell Wilson is the latter. He has been a great human being, a great face of the franchise. A “good well behaved boy.” He has likely been begging, pleading with the Seahawks for years. Hoping that the organization will respect him, that the fan base will stand up for him. It hasn’t happened. So people like Wilson, have to stir the pot. They have to get in people’s faces and sacrifice their reputation. Otherwise, you, Pete, John, won’t care. You’ll talk about how nice of a guy he is, and how much you like him. But that doesn’t mean you RESPECT him. Respecting him is wanting him to have an elite O-line, not an average one.

Wilson is saying at this point, if you won’t respect him, screw it. He’ll go somewhere else. He is likely prepared for that. The Seahawks lose in that scenario. From ticket prices to prime time, Wilson’s impact on this team is tremendous. The only other player currently that can bring that kind of juice to Seattle is Watson, and Wilson knows that Watson misses games, and struggled at times in a weaker division. He is the captain now, like it or not

Can you give an example of disrespect coming from Carroll and John?
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:28 am
  • OrangeGravy wrote:After taking everything in. Russell's comments, leaks from his camp to their media people, the timing of all of these things. Combining all of that stuff with what's been coming from his camp starting from last off-season and it all adds up to Russell really wanting out, but doesn't want to be perceived as the bad guy. There is no other reason that makes any sense to do what he and his camp have done. There's nothing he can gain from doing this outside of hopefully poisoning the well enough to get out and hoping everyone blames Pete/John for the divorce. If he really does want out, I would hope he would have enough balls to come out and own it at some point. The longer this thing carries momentum in the media, the more chance the locker room is gonna be a hostile place.

I think you’ve got this exactly right. Why do you ask for stars one year and offensive line help the next?

The Seahawks have tried to fix the offensive line with draft picks and free agents.

Beware of the RW fan club. They’re not taking this well.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:34 am
  • HawkNuts wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:After taking everything in. Russell's comments, leaks from his camp to their media people, the timing of all of these things. Combining all of that stuff with what's been coming from his camp starting from last off-season and it all adds up to Russell really wanting out, but doesn't want to be perceived as the bad guy. There is no other reason that makes any sense to do what he and his camp have done. There's nothing he can gain from doing this outside of hopefully poisoning the well enough to get out and hoping everyone blames Pete/John for the divorce. If he really does want out, I would hope he would have enough balls to come out and own it at some point. The longer this thing carries momentum in the media, the more chance the locker room is gonna be a hostile place.

I think you’ve got this exactly right. Why do you ask for stars one year and offensive line help the next?

The Seahawks have tried to fix the offensive line with draft picks and free agents.

Beware of the RW fan club. They’re not taking this well.

He’s asked for both. The Seahawks have hardly given either to him for most of his career. Even with cap space, the Seahawks have ranked near the bottom in O-line spending. Instead of drafting O-linemen in the first round, we draft LJ Collier and McDowell.

Beware of the RW hate club. They are the most unreasonable, irrational people and don’t give a crap about their franchise QB. They’ve never respected, or cared about him. They’ve never judged him fairly, and don’t care to.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:30 am
  • Washington49er wrote:RW will be in Dallas next season.

LOL, wishful thinking on your part.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:02 am
  • pinksheets wrote:Yeah, I can't wait to get back to the pre-Russ era of 30+ years mostly ranging from bottom feeding to mediocrity and not having a franchise QB. What's not to be excited about?

Finally, some clarity on .NET.

I for one am not ready to go back to the decades of perpetual mediocrity and being an after thought in the NFL.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:35 am
  • Well...
    Russ is going on the Ellen show to continue his 'media blitz'.
    It's telling how Russ is doing more 'appearances' than the QB who just won the Owl!
    If he whines about how awful the Seahawks have and are treating him on that show...
    They should just find a trade partner, and let Russ and his 'camp' ride off into the sunset.
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:37 am
  • Haters feed on hate. If there isn't anything legit they'll let the media create something for them and believe anything they read. If I were Wilson I would cancel any further interviews with non-team authorized media.
    Wilson has a standing interest in purchasing ownership shares of the Seahawks. That is from a guy who is wanting to part ways?
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:39 am
  • 'hoverround stadium' lol
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:42 am
  • Aros wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:Yeah, I can't wait to get back to the pre-Russ era of 30+ years mostly ranging from bottom feeding to mediocrity and not having a franchise QB. What's not to be excited about?

I for one am not ready to go back to the decades of perpetual mediocrity and being an after thought in the NFL.

Nobody wants that, but if Russ makes the ultimate power play, there isn't anything the team can do about it. It's gonna happen. This has been building from the point Russ's people floated all that NY Giants stuff in the contract negotiations. If Russ, behind the scenes, is really saying to them provide this or I'll walk, he's really asking to either go now or push Pete out. There is nothing within reason that the team could do in between those 2 things that will satisfy him in that scenario. What he's asking for could still result in them losing in the 1st round of the playoffs. If they said ok Russell, we're gonna go out and get the C you want and the LG you want. They go out in FA and get those deals done however they have to make it happen, but Russell still gets sacked 40 times next year and Seattle goes 11-5 losing out in the wild card round. Is Russell satisfied at that point?
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:55 am
  • What’s really ironic is Carroll really does have this hardline approach where it is his way and that’s the only way.

It’ll ultimately, be his downfall.

I think once Wilson leaves, Carroll leaves as well. Either by his own accord or he gets axed.

But Carroll played correctly in the beginning. Play to your strengths, which was the run game with Lynch and an elite historical defense in the Legion of Boom. Okay, yeah, completely understandable. Those are the team strengths. Good for you. Many coaches would also do that.

Now, the run game and defense are no longer the backbone of this team. Carroll does not play to the current strengths which is Wilson. He cannot seem to do what is best for the team by playing to its strengths. Now would be the time to build the offensive line and let Wilson win all the games he possibly can for you and removing any restraints on him. It’s not like Wilson is a rookie or in his second or third year.

If Wilson leaves and Carroll stays, Jody Allen completely mismanaged this team. And it’s not even close.

You keep Wilson happy. Not Carroll.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:08 am
  • “Pro Football Focus counts 14 of Wilson’s 47 sacks being on him and not the offensive line. That’s second-most in the league. Wilson said he needs to play better, but he can’t keep holding onto the ball as long he does.”

Per Clayton article on 710

Also goes on to say that he’s likely pissed off the offensive lineman who will be back next year. And not in a good way.

RW should have dropped some money to help the Seahawks sign a new left guard. I played offensive line through college and this would make me a little less concerned about the safety of my QB.

Most of these guys play with injuries with little to no credit.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:09 am
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:What’s really ironic is Carroll really does have this hardline approach where it is his way and that’s the only way.

I think once Wilson leaves, Carroll leaves as well. Either by his own accord or he gets axed.

But Carroll played correctly in the beginning. Play to your strengths, which was the run game with Lynch and an elite historical defense in the Legion of Boom. Okay, yeah, completely understandable. Those are the team strengths. Good for you. Many coaches would also do that.

Now, the run game and defense are no longer the backbone of this team. Carroll does not play to the current strengths which is Wilson. He cannot seem to do what is best for the team by playing to its strengths. Now would be the time to build the offensive line and let Wilson win all the games he possibly can for you and removing any restraints on him. It’s not like Wilson is a rookie or in his second or third year.

If Wilson leaves and Carroll stays, Jody Allen completely mismanaged this team. And it’s not even close.

I don't think he or anyone else in the org think Wilson is that guy including some players.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:18 am
  • Wanting they cake, and to eat it as well.

I want to count the most towards the cap, also I want you to field a team around me that equals the one I had when I was making far less.

These QBs never mention their cap hit and the situation it puts a team in, and yes the team has to agree to pay it welcome to mutually assured destruction.
    Mix
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:28 am
  • How many people would’ve even brought up trade scenarios in the first 5 games of this year? None. Russ cooked. The offense was rolling. Players were happy. Russ still has the ability to do that.

It was 100% a philosophical change. A change in playcalling. The whole two safety thing..that’s a simple adjustment. Schotty wasn’t fired because he couldn’t adjust to the new defensive looks. Are you kidding me?

It went back to Pete Ball. Russ, rightfully so, put management on notice.

The fact that there’s even smoke on the best franchise QB, sure shot HOFer, and when it’s all said and done, a top 10...top 7 QB in the NFL is straight blasphemy.

I’ve posted trade scenarios, none of which we win, and am now looking at it like why is this even a consideration?

If PC and RW can’t coexist, you get rid of PETE. Plain and simple.

While I don’t like RWs hit against the cap, I enjoy 12-4...and getting bounced out of the playoffs much more than what would happen with a subpar QB back there.

Seahawks football was fun through the earlier games this last season. Imagine the D clicking at the same time. It can be done.

I
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:39 am
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:What’s really ironic is Carroll really does have this hardline approach where it is his way and that’s the only way.

I don't think he or anyone else in the org think Wilson is that guy including some players.

Well, Wilson is paid to be that “guy.”

You either go “all in” on the guy you paid, and make him the forefront representing your team or you should decide to build with another QB.

It’s not all that complicated. Wilson, the second he was paid and became the highest paid player in the NFL (at that time) was the guy you stand with.

It’s incredibly insulting to Wilson knowing the organization does not believe in him enough to build around him and give him some say.

I’d leave if I was Wilson too.

If I’m not good enough for Pete Carroll (Wilson) then I’ll be damned if I waste any more of my time and talents playing for him.

It’s an easy decision. I want to win rings and this man hampers my ability to play at my strengths.

It’s time to leave.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:52 am
  • pinksheets wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:

The most realistic post about this situation on the board.

Be very careful what you wish for. Pete is a winning coach, but can him, b/c he hasn't won a SB recently and has old (to some) ideas. Wilson is an expensive elite QB who wants more protection and help to be greater, so trade him.

Be prepared to suck like Cleveland or Cincie or Detroit or (you name the team for a while until the team finds another excellent HC and another Franchise QB, neither of which are readily available at the NFL store if you want to keep a an annual playoff contender.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:23 pm
  • Writing has been on the wall for a long time, that’s why GB moved ahead of Seattle in the 2020 to draft QB Jordan Love. It’s also the reason Schneider scouted QB Mahomes. The good news about the trade talk with Cleveland is Schneider wouldn’t give Cleveland what they wanted for the #1 pick so Schneider has credibility in this trade of RW.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:31 pm
  • HawkNuts wrote:“Pro Football Focus counts 14 of Wilson’s 47 sacks being on him and not the offensive line. That’s second-most in the league. Wilson said he needs to play better, but he can’t keep holding onto the ball as long he does.”

Also goes on to say that he’s likely pissed off the offensive lineman who will be back next year. And not in a good way.

RW should have dropped some money to help the Seahawks sign a new left guard. I played offensive line through college and this would make me a little less concerned about the safety of my QB.

Okay first do you know why we have our great left tackle? Because Wilson redid his contract, and that was not the first time.

2nd yes some say 14 of the sacks are on Wilson, that would leave 33 which would still be top 10, 2nd they don't say how many sacks Wilson saved form happening. They also don't say of the 14 how many were coverage sacks were Wilson has done to throw to. You can argue then throw it away which is legit except 1 he has to be outside the box, and 2 what down is it. Makes little sense to throw it away on 3rd down.

Lots of missing data with those 14 versus 47. not as cut and dry as some would have you believe.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:33 pm
  • HawkNuts wrote:“Pro Football Focus counts 14 of Wilson’s 47 sacks being on him and not the offensive line. That’s second-most in the league. Wilson said he needs to play better, but he can’t keep holding onto the ball as long he does.”

Okay first do you know why we have our great left tackle? Because Wilson redid his contract, and that was not the first time.

2nd yes some say 14 of the sacks are on Wilson, that would leave 33 which would still be top 10, 2nd they don't say how many sacks Wilson saved form happening. They also don't say of the 14 how many were coverage sacks were Wilson has done to throw to. You can argue then throw it away which is legit except 1 he has to be outside the box, and 2 what down is it. Makes little sense to throw it away on 3rd down.

Lots of missing data with those 14 versus 47. not as cut and dry as some would have you believe.

Also Sacks are only part of the equation. what about hits, hurries, pressures. also, ESPN said Wilson led the league in hits, hurries, pressures, and sacks in under 2.5 seconds. That is not good.

Footballotusiders takes all that into account when they do their oline rankings, guess what Seattle was ranked bottom 5.

Also guess what its not just Wilson even the 2 years before Wilson our oline ranked bottom 5 with 2 other QBs including Hass.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:36 pm
  • Elemas wrote:How many people would’ve even brought up trade scenarios in the first 5 games of this year? None. Russ cooked. The offense was rolling. Players were happy. Russ still has the ability to do that.

It was 100% a philosophical change. A change in playcalling. The whole two safety thing..that’s a simple adjustment. Schotty wasn’t fired because he couldn’t adjust to the new defensive looks. Are you kidding me?

It went back to Pete Ball. Russ, rightfully so, put management on notice.

The fact that there’s even smoke on the best franchise QB, sure shot HOFer, and when it’s all said and done, a top 10...top 7 QB in the NFL is straight blasphemy.

I’ve posted trade scenarios, none of which we win, and am now looking at it like why is this even a consideration?

If PC and RW can’t coexist, you get rid of PETE. Plain and simple.

While I don’t like RWs hit against the cap, I enjoy 12-4...and getting bounced out of the playoffs much more than what would happen with a subpar QB back there.

Seahawks football was fun through the earlier games this last season. Imagine the D clicking at the same time. It can be done.

I

If PC and RW can’t coexist, you get rid of PETE.

That may be the right thing to do, but that isn't likely to happen with the way the Ownership/Org is situated currently. You can yell and scream about it all you want, but all indications are that the Org won't go that route. I'd be more surprised if they did that than trade Russell if it ever got down to it.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:44 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    OrangeGravy wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:What’s really ironic is Carroll really does have this hardline approach where it is his way and that’s the only way.

Well, Wilson is paid to be that “guy.”

You either go “all in” on the guy you paid, and make him the forefront representing your team or you should decide to build with another QB.

It’s not all that complicated. Wilson, the second he was paid and became the highest paid player in the NFL (at that time) was the guy you stand with.

It’s incredibly insulting to Wilson knowing the organization does not believe in him enough to build around him and give him some say.

I’d leave if I was Wilson too.

If I’m not good enough for Pete Carroll (Wilson) then I’ll be damned if I waste any more of my time and talents playing for him.

It’s an easy decision. I want to win rings and this man hampers my ability to play at my strengths.

It’s time to leave.

I don't disagree with your sentiment regarding deciding to go all in or not. I think the real miscalculation by Pete/John in this scenario and what I would blame them most for and to a lessor extent, Russell, is that this conversation about philosophy/offensive approach should have happened before the last contract extension. Both sides should have been clear about what they expected going forward from each other. We'll never know if that happened or not and to what degree. That was the time to either work it out or agree to either play the contract out and let Russ hit FA or work on a trade deal both parties could handle.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:29 pm
  • The one thing no one is talking about is the pandemic and how it not only impacted football this year, but the havoc it will cause with the cap next season. Impact players are going to be out there and available.

This soap opera all started from a source listed as, Russ’s camp. To me, that means agent which points to money.

Hopefully, this can all be worked out and we can move forward. However, if Russ wants out, we need to try to accommodate him. Next year would be better than this year for the franchise if it comes to that.
    12th Dimension
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:43 pm
  • I do not say this lightly as I have been a Seahawks fan since 1983, but if they keep Pete over Russ, I don’t know if I will still be a fan. It has always been about the team for me and not about who fills the uniform. I rooted for the replacements.

Letting the best QB in franchise history go because he wants to win with offense might push me over the edge. I say might because I’m not positive and I don’t make threats. I just don’t know if I could watch anymore.

I think Pete is great, but I could live without him and still be a fan.
    Norcalhawklover
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:08 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Orange,

If the issue is Carroll and the cost is Wilson...wouldn't it be easier just to cater to Wilson's whims?

You want to trade away a HOF QB IN HIS PRIME in order to make the 98 year old head coach (who is one LifeAlert alarm from not being on the Seahawks anyway) happy?

That makes no sense.

Unless you are shooting to get the stadium naming rights sponsored by HoverRound, the choice between Pete and Wilson ALWAYS has to be Wilson.
    It always works out when teams choose the QB over the coaching staff and front office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:21 pm
  • Maybe you should talk to Green Bay about that.

Picking Rodgers over McCarthy was an easy choice.

Imagine if your coach is an aging has-been that really hasn't been effective in the playoffs since his SB loss, consistently is outcoached, unable to pick effective assistants, and the only thing that keeps him from being a 5 win team is his HOF QB.

It is probably an easier choice than GB had to make then. Especially when you consider a top 3 QB is going to attract the better coaching replacements.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:28 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Maybe you should talk to Green Bay about that.

Imagine if your coach is an aging has-been that really hasn't been effective in the playoffs since his SB loss, consistently is outcoached, unable to pick effective assistants, and the only thing that keeps him from being a 5 win team is his HOF QB.

It is probably an easier choice than GB had to make then. Especially when you consider a top 3 QB is going to attract the better coaching replacements.

The Seahawks organization has shown it's hand by extending Pete/John. The team's ownership situation is an oddly unique one. It appears by Jody's actions, that she has committed to those 2 threw whatever transition there may be in the next few years. You can argue against it all you want, but that is the reality. I think most people would choose the franchise QB over the old coach IF IT WERE AN OPTION. It appears not to be. So you have to evaluate the situation through that lens or you're just beating your head against a brick wall.

Under that assumption, if Russell wants out, you maximize the return for him moving on. Simple as that. If you think he's blustering and you can come to a reasonably achievable accord, you do that now and re-evaluate him and his contract in a year or 2 depending on how things go on the field.

This thread is about me thinking he really does want out if he doesn't get his way. Hard to tell what getting his way means in that scenario. Does it mean going after a name at OL? Does it mean Pete completely relents or leaves? Who knows.

I'm not as confident in Russell's ability to be consistently great to good throughout a season as he and most other's here do. That's just how I see him. It doesn't mean I don't think he's the best option for this team for the foreseeable future either.

What if the FO goes out and signs 2 legit consensus FA at LG/C and Russell's game looks the same? His sack numbers don't change. His level of consistency from start to end of season doesn't change? What then?
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:54 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Orange,

That makes no sense.

Had to opine Orange. Your making a lot of assumptions! Is every QB that wins a SuperBowl a HOFer? I don’t know the answer to that question but If the answer is no why is RW a HOF QB? Your assuming Pete is the reason RW wants to leave Seattle. Could RW want out of Seattle to get in an easy division like Brady & Manning were in?
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:29 pm
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Maybe you should talk to Green Bay about that.

The Seahawks organization has shown it's hand by extending Pete/John. The team's ownership situation is an oddly unique one. It appears by Jody's actions, that she has committed to those 2 threw whatever transition there may be in the next few years. You can argue against it all you want, but that is the reality. I think most people would choose the franchise QB over the old coach IF IT WERE AN OPTION. It appears not to be. So you have to evaluate the situation through that lens or you're just beating your head against a brick wall.

Under that assumption, if Russell wants out, you maximize the return for him moving on. Simple as that. If you think he's blustering and you can come to a reasonably achievable accord, you do that now and re-evaluate him and his contract in a year or 2 depending on how things go on the field.

This thread is about me thinking he really does want out if he doesn't get his way. Hard to tell what getting his way means in that scenario. Does it mean going after a name at OL? Does it mean Pete completely relents or leaves? Who knows.

I'm not as confident in Russell's ability to be consistently great to good throughout a season as he and most other's here do. That's just how I see him. It doesn't mean I don't think he's the best option for this team for the foreseeable future either.

What if the FO goes out and signs 2 legit consensus FA at LG/C and Russell's game looks the same? His sack numbers don't change. His level of consistency from start to end of season doesn't change? What then?

Well then at least they TRIED, and you maneuver accordingly. Key word being TRIED, obviously. Which is, imo, pretty much all Russ is asking. This whole "trotting out a patchwork oline & crossing your fingers with the prayer that your highest paid, FACE OF THE FRANCHISE, Superstar QB continues to defy all logic and convention by not getting hurt" is LITERAL insanity. I'm having a hard time understanding how this is so difficult to understand.

As for the notion that his linemen find what RW said so offensive that they won't play their role to the best of their abilities, well, that pretty much says all one needs to know about them if that's truly how they operate. Game tape doesn't just show how the skill positions preform. THEY, too, have future contracts to negotiate. And if they are petty enough to fukc off their paper and legacies like that then they need to be gone yesterday.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:16 pm
  • It won't matter what Pete wants.

Wilson now knows that what he wants matters more.

And if he does not get what he wants here?

He will get it elsewhere.

Because a #3 QB in the NFL and HOF quality QB matters more than a washed-up borderline useless head coach.

Wilson will get what he wants and we will either benefit from it or we will watch another team benefit from it.

Teams that leverage their great QBs get to win. Teams that do what we do? Get to have a nice regular season and be irrelevant in the playoffs. Wilson is tired of being irrelevant. And he is tired of Pete being the reason for it.

Pete either gets in line, gets out of the way, or watches Wilson succeed somewhere else.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:26 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:Yeah, I can't wait to get back to the pre-Russ era of 30+ years mostly ranging from bottom feeding to mediocrity and not having a franchise QB. What's not to be excited about?

I understand this take and I think we all know how important Russell has been for this franchise and city. Yes, we very well could return to tenured irrelevance, but it's not guaranteed we do.

I mean, we played in Super Bowl 40. We then reshuffled, went to rebuild mode with a new coach and GM and were back in the playoffs five years later with a Super Bowl win 8 years later.

I don't want to lose Russell either, I just don't think doing so automatically equates to decades of cellar dwelling again. Those were Behring teams, I have more faith in JS to adapt to whatever situation we find ourselves in.

Ask yourself this...

If Russ comes back with the current roster (and even a new head coach) are we poised to be favored to win the SB? I don't think we are as close as others think (hopefully I am wrong).

Now..... just what if a team offers us a an absolute bounty we can't refuse for Russell? Let's say 4-5 firsts, some seconds or thirds and a decent player? Now let's we say a tearful goodbye to my favorite Seahawk of all time Bwags for a couple of good picks in the second or third. From there, let's say we want to focus on secondary coverage and Dline pressure and don't feel a pass rushing safety is the right fit for us, so we trade Jamal for a first rounder a couple of seconds at minimum.

I'm not saying I want this to happen, but I'm saying that I don't necessarily see this scenario equating to "decades and decades of irrelevance" with JS in charge, all these picks, decent ownership, and an eventual new coach.

But like I said, I understand where you are coming from. When the hottest chick you've ever dated wants to break up with you, you immediately think your relegated to years of Xhamster and Redtube again. You just might...but play your cards right and you just may meet someone else downstream.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:13 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:It won't matter what Pete wants.

Wilson now knows that what he wants matters more.

And if he does not get what he wants here?

He will get it elsewhere.

Because a #3 QB in the NFL and HOF quality QB matters more than a washed-up borderline useless head coach.

Wilson will get what he wants and we will either benefit from it or we will watch another team benefit from it.

Teams that leverage their great QBs get to win. Teams that do what we do? Get to have a nice regular season and be irrelevant in the playoffs. Wilson is tired of being irrelevant. And he is tired of Pete being the reason for it.

Pete either gets in line, gets out of the way, or watches Wilson succeed somewhere else.

Teams that leverage their great QBs get to win

Which teams have leveraged their great QBs and won more than Seattle outside of New England and Brady? Brady is the only great QB currently playing that has more than 1 SB ring. Mahomes just got slapped down in his bid for 2. Aaron is still toiling away. Brees is giving up his futile journey to number 2. Where's all this leveraging of great QBs happening?
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:58 pm

and if you allowed your qb to get hit because of pettiness the coach should suspend that OLINE man PERIOD. They dont protect Russell, NOBODY goes to the playoffs. Definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    Tinamedina
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:15 am
  • Kinda feels like Russ’s first wife and the Hawks have something in common.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 am
  • John63 wrote:
    Footballotusiders takes all that into account when they do their oline rankings, guess what Seattle was ranked bottom 5.

Also guess what its not just Wilson even the 2 years before Wilson our oline ranked bottom 5 with 2 other QBs including Hass.

Pro Football focus ranked the Seahawks line at 28 at the beginning of 2020, and 14th at the end of the season. For pass blocking specifically they were at 16. ESPN ranked the Seahawks line at #9 in pass block win rate. They spent a 2nd round pick on Pocic in 2019, a third rounder on Lewis (who was very highly regarded as a rookie) in 2020. They traded several picks for Brown and spent some money on him. They signed two free agents (iupati and shell) in the past couple of years. The notion that they're still populating the line with converted defensive linemen and other experiments is no longer the case.

The front office has clearly put both dollars and draft capital into some improvements on the offensive line over the past couple of years. Whether those were the right players or not may be arguable. Whether they've emphasized it enough in the draft is also debatable. But in the past two years they've gone from one of the worst lines in the NFL to average. They certainly need more improvement.....but I think this was the wrong group of guys for Russ to throw under the bus.
    Torc
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm
  • RedAlice wrote:Kinda feels like Russ’s first wife and the Hawks have something in common.

Besides both being interested in Tate?
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:32 pm
  • Josina Anderson is worthless! Seahawks put the ball in RW court. For a trade to happen RW must approve it, there’s no way Seattle is going to be first to put the cards on the table, RW must request a trade & name teams then Seattle can respond accordingly!
    RW is delusional he’s been the highest paid player in the NFL using up a large amount of cap space on a team with a conservative GM. If Pete was as bad as RW thinks Schneider wouldn’t have extended his contract, furthermore Seattle’s Executive Management wouldn’t have extended Pete.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:25 am
  • Bingo Fresno!

Last season with all the complications from COVID the team was the only team in the NFL with zero true positive tests. That reality speaks to good management. The team won their division going 12-4. A totally terrible D was transformed to pretty good and over the terrible period the team went 5-0 with Russell cooking in games where the winner was the last team to have the ball. It was clear to most that winning with heroics was unsustainable. Changes were made and the team wound up with that 12-4 record. A great part of the team’s success can be attributed to good coaching.

Frankly though the cracks were showing as opponents had figured out our O. There was little nuance to it and little change over the last half of the season. Was this just Pete ball as some would claim or a frustrating inability in the former OC to make fluid adjustments or be creative width nuances in the O? Wilson certainly looked different and was unable to cook missing many clear reads, and becoming quite predictable in his escape moves made necessary by the porous OLine that was nicked up. It was apparent to many the team needed a better C and that the LG was ready to be retired. As usual the RBs were nicked up again as the scheme from the former OC uses them up with the 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust running game.

Is this because of Pete? Is this because of Wilson? Is this because of the OLine? Is this because of the weak D early? Is this because of the OC being unable to create different looks and nuanced schemes? Injuries to RB, and other position groups? To me there is lots of blame, if you need to think that way, to go around.

Now unfortunately we have had Wilson see the bright lights of Paris with the MVP circus, and it will be hard to keep him on the farm now he’s seen them. Thing is Russ cooking and exposing the D was unsustainable and got figured out. It was indeed time for a change. However, make no mistake if the D had played half a well as it did late earlier in the season RW might have been more sustainable and the team might have gone a great further but still would have been figured out or broken down. It was a team that could have done more but likely wouldn’t have.

Wilson is self interested yet sees that he could have the bright lights in the right situation, trouble is his contract puts limits upon what the team can do, he wants things his way however. Pete has recognized there was a need for change and made a significant change yet somehow he’s the devil for wanting to be in charge when he is in charge
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:Bingo Fresno!

Last season with all the complications from COVID the team was the only team in the NFL with zero true positive tests. That reality speaks to good management. The team won their division going 12-4. A totally terrible D was transformed to pretty good and over the terrible period the team went 5-0 with Russell cooking in games where the winner was the last team to have the ball. It was clear to most that winning with heroics was unsustainable. Changes were made and the team wound up with that 12-4 record. A great part of the team’s success can be attributed to good coaching.

Frankly though the cracks were showing as opponents had figured out our O. There was little nuance to it and little change over the last half of the season. Was this just Pete ball as some would claim or a frustrating inability in the former OC to make fluid adjustments or be creative width nuances in the O? Wilson certainly looked different and was unable to cook missing many clear reads, and becoming quite predictable in his escape moves made necessary by the porous OLine that was nicked up. It was apparent to many the team needed a better C and that the LG was ready to be retired. As usual the RBs were nicked up again as the scheme from the former OC uses them up with the 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust running game.

Is this because of Pete? Is this because of Wilson? Is this because of the OLine? Is this because of the weak D early? Is this because of the OC being unable to create different looks and nuanced schemes? Injuries to RB, and other position groups? To me there is lots of blame, if you need to think that way, to go around.

Now unfortunately we have had Wilson see the bright lights of Paris with the MVP circus, and it will be hard to keep him on the farm now he’s seen them. Thing is Russ cooking and exposing the D was unsustainable and got figured out. It was indeed time for a change. However, make no mistake if the D had played half a well as it did late earlier in the season RW might have been more sustainable and the team might have gone a great further but still would have been figured out or broken down. It was a team that could have done more but likely wouldn’t have.

Wilson is self interested yet sees that he could have the bright lights in the right situation, trouble is his contract puts limits upon what the team can do, he wants things his way however. Pete has recognized there was a need for change and made a significant change yet somehow he’s the devil for wanting to be in charge when he is in charge
    This

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information