Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After Taking it all in

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 am
  • Pete is in charge. Not 'the devil'.

    Just outdated. Near worthless. And more of a drag on this organization than a benefit.

    A gameday liability...but not the devil.

    When you have a highly ranked roster but consistently fail to achieve anything outside of the regular season with it?

    It is your fault if you are in charge. Pete is in charge. This is his fault.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4815
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:23 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Pete is in charge. Not 'the devil'.

    Just outdated. Near worthless. And more of a drag on this organization than a benefit.

    A gameday liability...but not the devil.

    When you have a highly ranked roster but consistently fail to achieve anything outside of the regular season with it?

    It is your fault if you are in charge. Pete is in charge. This is his fault.


    RIIIGHT!!!

    Not the devil, just in charge, outdated, and near worthless, more of drag on the organization than a benefit
    . Opinions vary.

    12-4 last season, won the NFC-W, turned around an understaffed D, tried to get the O to protect the D, but was unable to get his OC to be creative and change up to allow the O to work. Lots of smart football folk would disagree Pete is a liability, outdated, and a drag on the Seahawks organization (edit: game day drag). Yes Pete is in charge of winning program and has made some changes recently and time alone will tell if the changes are a success. We disagree about Pete, and I'm not in denial, but the continued denigration of Peteis not factually supported with the team's results. Wilson Like Rodgers has won 1 SB yet Rodgers is deified as the MVP and Wilson is seemingly being held back by Pete. Pete does a lot of things differently and some folks chaff at what may seem to be dumb challenges or time outs but he works the games to help his team. Rodgers wasn't held back this season and still never got past the conference final. The Hawks were eliminated in the WC game and that's all Pete's fault? Seems like agenda talk to me. Pete hasn't ducked and has made some changes and more appear both to needed and essential.

    One thing for sure Twisted you are consistently a hater, as far a Pete is concerned. It's ike an agenda that goes on and on. Believe what you wish as I certainly won't be able to change your mind.

    This thread is about Wilson's agenda and not about and it without a doubt is likely based upon the reality the team wants Wilson to redo his deal to free some cap as his deal is limiting the team's ability to get "star players" as part of the supporting cast for Wilson. Wilson wants a quid pro quo, some control of personnel and agenda. He won't get all he wants because he's a bit out of his lane, but he will get help. The public negotiation which appears to be the result of that effort by the team to free up cap is the root of this situation which may or may not resolve happily.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7578
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:25 pm
  • Jammer,

    You can call me a lot of things. A hater of Carroll is not one of them.

    Carroll frustrates me because he is squandering Wilson. At least to this viewpoint. And yes, I am very angry at him for taking advantage of Jody to consolidate his power while letting it get to this point with Wilson.

    He should KNOW that Wilson matters more than he does right now.

    Yes, Carroll deserved the benefit of the doubt for delivering a SuperBowl.

    But we have a top QB, assured HOF. How long does this benefit last?

    Does Pete get a pass every year, even though every year is less Wilson we have to work with ?

    Because he had several passes already...

    Earlier, considering the issue with Jody, no matter the frustration - my argument was we had to keep Pete. Because the chance our ownership would push to hire a tremendous coach would be low. You had to keep Carroll. But, if Wilson does not want him, there is no future with Carroll. There MIGHT be one with Wilson. (Understanding that is only a maybe. But still better than assured failure with Carroll)

    In terms of Carroll though:
    It is clear he is a good guy. He is a person that cares about the players and likely people not even on the field. He is relentlessly positive and (for a while) people will run through walls for him. Everyone loves him as a person, or most do.

    He projects to be an amazing human being.

    But as a football coach he produces less with more. He is steeped in outdated worthless philosophies and gameplans. He is borderline incompetent in some areas and ridiculously lacking in others. He hires friends and family then refuses to hold them accountable. He struggles at even basic coaching 101 things and no longer delivers the defenses that made up for those shortcomings. Great human being. Garbage HC without his LOB.

    And it wouldn't matter if he was the 2nd coming of Paul Brown - Wilson does not want him and he is too old to be around for any kind of rebuild without Wilson. He isn't the kind of coach that can use Wilson to the best of his ability. Wilson is our best asset and resource - so why bother with Carroll then?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4815
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:09 pm
  • Nobody is doubting that Pete has been a hell of a coach. But, there are numerous reasons that a change would benefit Russ AND this team. Let's be real here, he for some reason has eventually rubbed players wrong over the years. The message gets stale. His outdated style and doing it "his way" isn't working in the playoffs. His lack of willingness to adjust in game, along with horrific time managent……..enough is enough. Yet, we know he isn't going anywhere.
    He has held back not only Russ but the team as a whole when it matters, in the playoffs. Again, 6 years, 3 playoff wins. That just plain isn't good enough. I appreciate the great regular seasons, the title, the back to back Super Bowl trips, all of it. However, his stubborn nature has long since ran it's course.
    I like Pete, great guy and motivator. But, he lost me after his comments in yet another 1st round loss.
    Flat out said he was ok punting on 4th and 1. Down 10, to the best defense in football. With less than 8 minutes left???? That's just inexcusable imo.
    I just don't remember even CLOSE to the brushback towards Sherm, Earl, Doug and Bennett who were all blasting Pete and the front office. And Kam was holding out.
    I'm likely in the minority, and I'm used to it. But, I'm glad he finally spoke up. And the way people make it sound like it was some horrific ordeal is laughable. Manning called out his O-Line in a post game presser. Rodgers has been complaining is entire career about coaching and front office stuff. Watson is demanding a trade.
    Also, it seems to almost always get glossed over that Russ flat out mentioned that he needs to get rid of the ball quicker.
    Just sayin...….
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17142
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Pete is in charge. Not 'the devil'.

    Just outdated. Near worthless. And more of a drag on this organization than a benefit.

    A gameday liability...but not the devil.

    When you have a highly ranked roster but consistently fail to achieve anything outside of the regular season with it?

    It is your fault if you are in charge. Pete is in charge. This is his fault.


    RIIIGHT!!!

    Not the devil, just in charge, outdated, and near worthless, more of drag on the organization than a benefit
    . Opinions vary.

    12-4 last season, won the NFC-W, turned around an understaffed D, tried to get the O to protect the D, but was unable to get his OC to be creative and change up to allow the O to work. Lots of smart football folk would disagree Pete is a liability, outdated, and a drag on the Seahawks organization (edit: game day drag). Yes Pete is in charge of winning program and has made some changes recently and time alone will tell if the changes are a success. We disagree about Pete, and I'm not in denial, but the continued denigration of Peteis not factually supported with the team's results. Wilson Like Rodgers has won 1 SB yet Rodgers is deified as the MVP and Wilson is seemingly being held back by Pete. Pete does a lot of things differently and some folks chaff at what may seem to be dumb challenges or time outs but he works the games to help his team. Rodgers wasn't held back this season and still never got past the conference final. The Hawks were eliminated in the WC game and that's all Pete's fault? Seems like agenda talk to me. Pete hasn't ducked and has made some changes and more appear both to needed and essential.

    One thing for sure Twisted you are consistently a hater, as far a Pete is concerned. It's ike an agenda that goes on and on. Believe what you wish as I certainly won't be able to change your mind.

    This thread is about Wilson's agenda and not about and it without a doubt is likely based upon the reality the team wants Wilson to redo his deal to free some cap as his deal is limiting the team's ability to get "star players" as part of the supporting cast for Wilson. Wilson wants a quid pro quo, some control of personnel and agenda. He won't get all he wants because he's a bit out of his lane, but he will get help. The public negotiation which appears to be the result of that effort by the team to free up cap is the root of this situation which may or may not resolve happily.


    Your proof of this "This thread is about Wilson's agenda and not about and it without a doubt is likely based upon the reality the team wants Wilson to redo his deal to free some cap as his deal is limiting the team's ability to get "star players" as part of the supporting cast for Wilson. "


    especially since he has done it 4 times already , so proof please.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4055
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:26 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Jammer,

    You can call me a lot of things. A hater of Carroll is not one of them.

    Carroll frustrates me because he is squandering Wilson. At least to this viewpoint. And yes, I am very angry at him for taking advantage of Jody to consolidate his power while letting it get to this point with Wilson.

    He should KNOW that Wilson matters more than he does right now.

    Yes, Carroll deserved the benefit of the doubt for delivering a SuperBowl.

    But we have a top QB, assured HOF. How long does this benefit last?

    Does Pete get a pass every year, even though every year is less Wilson we have to work with ?

    Because he had several passes already...

    Earlier, considering the issue with Jody, no matter the frustration - my argument was we had to keep Pete. Because the chance our ownership would push to hire a tremendous coach would be low. You had to keep Carroll. But, if Wilson does not want him, there is no future with Carroll. There MIGHT be one with Wilson. (Understanding that is only a maybe. But still better than assured failure with Carroll)

    In terms of Carroll though:
    It is clear he is a good guy. He is a person that cares about the players and likely people not even on the field. He is relentlessly positive and (for a while) people will run through walls for him. Everyone loves him as a person, or most do.

    He projects to be an amazing human being.

    But as a football coach he produces less with more. He is steeped in outdated worthless philosophies and gameplans. He is borderline incompetent in some areas and ridiculously lacking in others. He hires friends and family then refuses to hold them accountable. He struggles at even basic coaching 101 things and no longer delivers the defenses that made up for those shortcomings. Great human being. Garbage HC without his LOB.

    And it wouldn't matter if he was the 2nd coming of Paul Brown - Wilson does not want him and he is too old to be around for any kind of rebuild without Wilson. He isn't the kind of coach that can use Wilson to the best of his ability. Wilson is our best asset and resource - so why bother with Carroll then?


    "Carroll frustrates me because he is squandering Wilson"
    This is the only problem I have with your side or fans on this side of this Pete/Wilson issue. This statement right here is treated as fact or an absolute and is neither. It is an opinion, which is perfectly fine. Not everyone shares that opinion of this dynamic.

    A lot of it seems to come from the analytics side of how offenses are viewed these days in the NFL and what the most efficient way to operate an offense is in the modern game. The evolution of the passing game might be the best way to run an offense when viewed from that angle, but that only holds true if you assume that every QB has an equal ability to execute that style of offense. QBs have different abilities and you as a coach have to evaluate those abilities and come to the approach that you think fits. You and others obviously think Russell is capable, but it appears that Pete is not entirely sold on that.

    Where would you put Russell vs Brees? Where would you put Pete vs Sean Payton? Are Russ and better than those 2? One better than the other? Did Payton also squander Brees? The way I see it, if you think Pete is wasting Russell, than you have to think Payton wasted Brees. And, if you think Brees is better than Russell in their respective primes executing a pass heavy approach, what makes you think Russell's results will be any better over his career as far as playoff/SB success? I could ask the same for Rodgers. Now if you think Russell is better than both, OK, I see your point as you see it, but I would disagree.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 568
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:32 pm
  • John, like you I have no proof but the issue with why has to be about money, or alternatively RW's legacy which is also all about money. He saw the bright lights of Paree and now he doesn't want to be on the farm any more. Thing is there are trade offs for his personnel wishes. I am a staunch RW fan as well as a staunch Pete fan both are not w/o warts or respective blind spots. i frankly think RW is better with Pete than w/o him.

    This thread however is about Wilson's motives for stirring the pot and not about how much Pete sucks, depending upon your viewpoint. Therein I heartily disagree with the several Pete naysayers. Pete ain't perfect by a long shot but where we disagree is whether he is a good head coach and there his success argues in his favour.

    What other motive could there be? Wilson is on a winning team, he is one the top paid QBs in the NFL, and he now wants some control of personnel and team direction. He is being respected in the organization and well paid In exchange for what, being traded? Playing for an organization that can surround him with offensive talent would have to come with a cost.
    Every team has a salary cap.

    Brady takes the reduced salary cost so he can have his guys around him, Wilson has too a few times, but really only just had his guaranteed money secured. Losing the way they did in WC game points out how bad the OLine actually was against a well schemed LA D that was able to force RW from the pocket repeatedly in the waiting arms of his spy who had figured out W's typical escape moves. This loss was damaging to Wilson's legacy in the eyes of some and a supposed indictment of Pete ball which was really weak game planning by the OC and weak OLine play. With that being recognized Wilson has a fair complaint .

    That I suppose is upon Pete as the buck needs to stop somewhere but there was lots of blame to go around.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7578
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:45 pm
  • Did anyone notice that we won the division this year and that Russell Wilson had 40 TD passes this year and 12 INTs (Rodgers 48; Brady 40; Mahomes 38, and they all played more in the playoffs)? I'm just wondering where all the doom and gloom is coming from. I watched the Wilson segment on Dan Patrick and I think he was just asking for more help on the offensive line. I get that he holds the ball too long sometimes waiting for things to open up, but he also gets sacked because of whiffs on the offensive line all the time. I think we will be fine and Wilson is not going anywhere. I'm glad Pete and JS have reached out to him and hopefully, he will have some say on presonel moving forward since he's earned it.
    aawolf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 637
    Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:04 am


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:47 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:Like you I have none but the issue is about money or alternatively RW's legacy which is also all about money.

    The thread however is about Wilson's motives for stirring the pot and not about how much Pete sucks, depending upon your viewpoint.

    What other motive could there be? Wilson is on a winning team, he is one the top paid QBs in the NFL, and he now wants some control of personnel and team direction. In exchange for what, being traded? Playing for an organization that can surround him with offensive talent would have to come with a cost.



    Wilson is on a winning team that can't get beyond the 1st round. If you listen he said it he wants to get back to the SB. He did not say he wants control he wants a say. This are 2 different things. Example

    Control we are getting Ertz

    Say Hey Wilson we are thinking about getting Ertz what do you think? OR Hey PC here are a few ideas for TE we should look at.

    Those are 2 different things.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4055
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:48 pm
  • aawolf wrote:Did anyone notice that we won the division this year and that Russell Wilson had 40 TD passes this year and 12 INTs (Rodgers 48; Brady 40; Mahomes 38, and they all played more in the playoffs)? I'm just wondering where all the doom and gloom is coming from. I watched the Wilson segment on Dan Patrick and I think he was just asking for more help on the offensive line. I get that he holds the ball too long sometimes waiting for things to open up, but he also gets sacked because of whiffs on the offensive line all the time. I think we will be fine and Wilson is not going anywhere. I'm glad Pete and JS have reached out to him and hopefully, he will have some say on presonel moving forward since he's earned it.



    He actually did not say the oline he said he is tired of getting hit. Well that cold be at the Oline for not blocking, could be at WR for not getting open, could be on RB for not blocking, could be on PC for the system and play call, and of course he also said he needs to play better.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4055
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:09 pm
  • Wilson was getting hit when he was cooking, at a frighteningly high rate.

    This season was the first in awhile where the team was bounced out in the first round of the playoffs but don't let that interfere with your narrative. it was however a shockingly ugly loss.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7578
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:45 pm
  • Shockingly ugly is a perfect description of that game. They just had dominated them 2 weeks prior. Held them w/out even scoring a TD. There just was no reason for them to come out so unprepared, let alone how outcoached they were.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17142
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:07 pm
  • Another thought just now. Isn't it possible that Pete never really bought into Russell all the way. Wasn't Russell John's guy in that draft and John sold Russ to Pete and everyone else? Would explain why he's reluctant to hand Russ the key's to the car. Regardless of whether you think that's right or wrong, it does make things a little clearer.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 568
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Re: After Taking it all in
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:59 pm
  • "Taking advantage of Jody" is more than a little bit too far. Pete was hired in 2010 with final say on all football matters.

    It's 2021. Pete still has final say on all football matters.

    It's not like he's pulling a Jack Easterby.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4474
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Previous


It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online