Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it the Seahawks or is it Seattle?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Is it the Seahawks or is it Seattle?
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:22 pm
  • I've been doing some thinking. I really would like to give Russ the benefit of the doubt but it's just very hard as of late.

I don't think the Seahawks aka Pete Carroll are doing much to keep Russ happy, especially after that early playoff exit to the Rams. With that being said I think Russ just wants out of Seattle. I truly believe he and Ciara feel that their brands would be a better fit for a bigger market, which pushes the urge to get out of Seattle. Thoughts?
    SeaHawkster20
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Is it the Seahawks or is it Seattle?
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:29 pm
  • If it's logistics, then that is what it is... Seattle will never be L.A. or NYC. So be it. If that's what players want over a championship team, have at it. I'm content with Seattle being a franchise and a city that strives to put a competitive team on the field and a loyal fan base to back them up. Players will always come and go...even when we don't want them do. It's a part of what makes it fun.

If Russ wants a bigger stage for his "brand," he can go suffer as a member of the Jets, or go fizzle with the Cowboys.

I love Wilson, just like I love any Seahawk that plays hard, but if they don't want to be here, I'll keep cheering for the next person who puts on the jersey.
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:11 pm
  • Its Pete.

Period.

Wilson is concerned about his legacy and Pete is ruining it.

Wilson was very clear he did not want a run oriented offense. Let them know he would leave if they did. Pete did, Wilson is leaving.

Has nothing to do with Seattle. If Pete coached in NY this would have happened too. Cept the moment Wilson complained NY would have run Pete out of town, rightfully so.

In Seattle, we still have morons supporting Pete in this.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:45 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Its Pete.

Period.

Wilson is concerned about his legacy, and Pete is ruining it.

Wilson was very clear he did not want a run oriented offense. Let them know he would leave if they did. Pete did, Wilson is leaving.

Has nothing to do with Seattle. If Pete coached in NY this would have happened too. Cept the moment Wilson complained NY would have run Pete out of town, rightfully so.

In Seattle, we still have morons supporting Pete in this.

If this is true, then Wilson has completely lost touch with reality, and it probably is time to move on from him. There are 53 players on a football team; if Wilson is more concerned with his legacy than winning games, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the locker room? That one guy is bigger than the team? That his legacy is more important than yours? That's a recursive mindset that would spread like cancer through a team, which is the complete opposite of what you want from your franchise QB.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:25 pm
  • "if Wilson is more concerned with his legacy than winning games, " His legacy IS WINNING GAMES. That's the entire point. Frankly every member of the team wants to win Super Bowls and make more money. Most will know that Wilson gives them the best chance to get those objectives. If anyone of them, wants to sabotage Wilson for spite and thus harm their own potential ability to be in and win a Super Bowl and thus torpedo their ability to make more money, they are children.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:49 pm
  • Seattle is basically west coast Boston so I don't think logistics are an issue.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:48 pm
  • Star QB brands are never impacted by market. There are only 32 of those jobs in the world and location is irrelevant given their national profile and ability to appear in primetime television.

Peyton, Favre, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees - all huge national profiles in less than huge markets.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 am
  • KinesProf wrote:Star QB brands are never impacted by market. There are only 32 of those jobs in the world and location is irrelevant given their national profile and ability to appear in primetime television.

Peyton, Favre, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees - all huge national profiles in less than huge markets.

This is too much for some around here to believe. If this were true then they couldn’t lean on that god awful chip on their shoulder over East Coast bias and ‘whoa is me everybody thinks we’re nothing’ thoughts. It gets old.
    MD5eahawks
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am
  • Imagine, a guy who names himself "twisted" calls everyone who supports a habitually successful coach a moron.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 pm
  • Appy,

Carroll WAS a successful coach.

WAS

Since his SB loss he has been one of the easier marks in the playoffs.

Much of his regular season success was created because his QB won games for him in the final quarter and because of his defense.

His defense is now between average and trash.

So Pete was good. Buddy Ryan WAS a great defensive coordinator too. The 43 defense WAS once unstoppable. But teams adapt. Pete doesn't. He WAS good. He ISN'T NOW.

He is a great motivator. Great developer of talent.

But he is a liability at almost everything else and if we lose Wilson, the one last reason to keep him, that Wilson likes him...is gone.

If Wilson does not want him, it makes no sense. The only reason Pete has any value as a HC was his value to Wilson. When we thought Wilson was loyal to him, of course you have to sign him again. But now you know Wilson has been silently enduring him? If not worse?

Then what value does he even have? He isn't fielding a great defense. He isn't developing studs from UDFAs all over the place at a high enough clip to justify the rest. He is a doddering old fool on gamedays trying to force outdated football on a roster that does not mesh with his tactics. He can't even keep from meddling with his coordinators to allow them to be successful.

He WAS good. When he had a roster that suited how he like to play football. That roster is gone and so is his effectiveness.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:15 am
  • I am wondering why this can't be part of another thread on Wilson being unhappy.

To me this is a repetition on of other threads, but to answer I frankly doubt that R& C want to move to a bigger market to enhance their 'brand'. Besides they have a place in LA and are off for a substantial portion of the year at any rate. So the answer is 'the Seahawks' and the problems are fixable.

There are 32 teams in the league and only 32 starter's jobs at QB. Of the 32 just 12 teams are playoff teams and of them maybe 8 are perennial playoff teams. Seattle is a quality location if you want to at least have a shot at going to the playoffs.
    Wilson's gripes are fair and frankly a main subject of discussion as far as the OLine is concerned. The team does need to fix the OLine, and second level guys won't get it done. They have done a better job there since Cable left but need to find answers for interior protection and Aaron Donald. Wilson needs to be given more options on O and the running game needs to be respected and less predictable and easily defenced.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:18 am
  • Winning cures all.

If Seattle makes a deep postseason run soon, everything will be fine and dandy.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:43 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:Imagine, a guy who names himself "twisted" calls everyone who supports a habitually successful coach a moron.

How dare you. :141847_bnono:

(kidding by the way)
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 am
  • I think it's simply that Russell is getting older and is realizing that he can't keep on getting hit as often as he does and extend his career as long as he wants.
    rigelian
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Appy,

Carroll WAS a successful coach.

WAS

Since his SB loss he has been one of the easier marks in the playoffs.

Much of his regular season success was created because his QB won games for him in the final quarter and because of his defense.

His defense is now between average and trash.

So Pete was good. Buddy Ryan WAS a great defensive coordinator too. The 43 defense WAS once unstoppable. But teams adapt. Pete doesn't. He WAS good. He ISN'T NOW.

He is a great motivator. Great developer of talent.

But he is a liability at almost everything else and if we lose Wilson, the one last reason to keep him, that Wilson likes him...is gone.

If Wilson does not want him, it makes no sense. The only reason Pete has any value as a HC was his value to Wilson. When we thought Wilson was loyal to him, of course you have to sign him again. But now you know Wilson has been silently enduring him? If not worse?

Then what value does he even have? He isn't fielding a great defense. He isn't developing studs from UDFAs all over the place at a high enough clip to justify the rest. He is a doddering old fool on gamedays trying to force outdated football on a roster that does not mesh with his tactics. He can't even keep from meddling with his coordinators to allow them to be successful.

He WAS good. When he had a roster that suited how he like to play football. That roster is gone and so is his effectiveness.

So 12-4 regular season with an early season weak D is evidence Pete WAS a good coach and WAS done already last year?

The OC change means nothing? There is no talent on the roster any more?

The thread here is about Wilson and his motivation to leave and not about Pete. Please stay on point.

We simply disagree at any rate.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:59 pm
  • If Wilson sees Pete as a net negative.

If he feels that he would produce greater success and a greater legacy under another coach with a more offensive focus?

Why would he stay?

He can get paid the same amount wherever he goes. So money is not the issue.

If the way he is being used is frustrating him, then there certainly is the lure of greener pastures.

If there is no future, or near no future, of success with Pete, or if Pete is on the downside - why would Wilson want to hitch his wagon to him?

Wilson will want to go where he can spread his wings.

At the very least he will want more power and say, he made that clear already. And it has been made clear by the Hawks that they do not want that.

There really is very little keeping Wilson here but the realities of the salary cap and inertia. If Wilson believes he is key in our winning, then he likely will believe he can create that somewhere else as well.

It is pretty clear that emotionally Wilson is divesting himself or at least separating himself from the team.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 pm
  • Meh, I'll believe it is even close to how much people blow it out of proportion when I see it.
    A player getting tired of Pete? That's nothing new. Him wanting to leave or being angry with the Hawks? I don't believe it one bit. At least at the level people want to convince themselves of...….
    He is VERY justified being frustrated imo. I never wanted to believe that Pete and his stubborn nature has held Russ back, but it's very obvious it has. We all have our opinions of it, and that's fine.
    Until I see him actually traded, I'm not going to worry about it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:40 pm
  • SeaHawkster20 wrote:I've been doing some thinking. I really would like to give Russ the benefit of the doubt but it's just very hard as of late.

I don't think the Seahawks aka Pete Carroll are doing much to keep Russ happy, especially after that early playoff exit to the Rams. With that being said I think Russ just wants out of Seattle. I truly believe he and Ciara feel that their brands would be a better fit for a bigger market, which pushes the urge to get out of Seattle. Thoughts?

Other than made him the highest paid QB at the time, draft a bigtime WR for him, listen to him for free agent decisions like signing Greg Olsen and hire the O-coordinator he wanted after he said he wasn't happy with how the offense was called down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Russell doesn't really want to control personnel decisions, he wants the APPEARANCE of being involved. Because really being involved? I mean REALLY being involved? That means lots and lots of hard work studying game film of college players and free agents you're not familiar with.

It's why giving Russ even a little say in personnel is a bad idea. He wanted Clowney back, he wanted Greg Olsen, he wanted AB, he's always talking about getting more free agent buddies in here. Stars know stars, that's it.

Terrible way to run a franchise......but yeah, let the media think Russell's helping pull the strings. That's all he really wants. Optics of being in charge.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeaHawkster20 wrote:I've been doing some thinking. I really would like to give Russ the benefit of the doubt but it's just very hard as of late.

Other than made him the highest paid QB at the time, draft a bigtime WR for him, listen to him for free agent decisions like signing Greg Olsen and hire the O-coordinator he wanted after he said he wasn't happy with how the offense was called down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Russell doesn't really want to control personnel decisions, he wants the APPEARANCE of being involved. Because really being involved? I mean REALLY being involved? That means lots and lots of hard work studying game film of college players and free agents you're not familiar with.

It's why giving Russ even a little say in personnel is a bad idea. He wanted Clowney back, he wanted Greg Olsen, he wanted AB, he's always talking about getting more free agent buddies in here. Stars know stars, that's it.

Terrible way to run a franchise......but yeah, let the media think Russell's helping pull the strings. That's all he really wants. Optics of being in charge.

We call it a seat at the table sometimes, think of Thanksgiving, the Adults at the big dinner table and let Russell sit at the kids table, seen and not heard, but able to be there and hear how the ADULTS DO BUSINESS.

Which is what I think he really wants, he has desires to own a franchise, he wants to be involved in the operations side now to understand how it's really done.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:54 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:
    KinesProf wrote:Star QB brands are never impacted by market. There are only 32 of those jobs in the world and location is irrelevant given their national profile and ability to appear in primetime television.

This is too much for some around here to believe. If this were true then they couldn’t lean on that god awful chip on their shoulder over East Coast bias and ‘whoa is me everybody thinks we’re nothing’ thoughts. It gets old.

Yeah, it's super lame every time people bring this up, "legacy teams", etc.

That stuff may have been true in 1993 but we have the internet now and a lot more TV time to watch football teams. The Seahawks and Russell Wilson are beloved across the nation. Almost every other fan base is insanely jealous of what we have. The Seahawks became one of those teams years ago.

If you're still making stuff up about "North Alaska" or whatever you probably think the Pearl Jam Album Vitalogy just came out last year.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:56 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Which is what I think he really wants, he has desires to own a franchise, he wants to be involved in the operations side now to understand how it's really done.

You're right, but he thinks the NFL can be run like the NBA where the stars run the league and force owners and GM's to do what they want like we just saw Harden do, or Lebron did when he went to South Beach.

That's not how the NFL works. Stars have power, but they don't have anywhere near the power that NBA players have to do this sort of stuff.

So sure, keep Russell in the personnel discussion loop in an advisory role. But allowing him to make those final decisions? Nope, because players are bad at it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm
  • And there is zero proof that he has ever made the decision on a player. Making suggestions is something that MANY players have likely done over the years. So? Why wouldn't a franchise QB want to make his opinion be known? I suspect most of them do. But actually making final decisions, nah.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:36 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:And there is zero proof that he has ever made the decision on a player. Making suggestions is something that MANY players have likely done over the years. So? Why wouldn't a franchise QB want to make his opinion be known? I suspect most of them do. But actually making final decisions, nah.

The decision? No. Lobbied and made it publicly and privately known he wants players? Absolutely.

Why Russell says stuff through the press IMO is bad for him, and the team. How do you think his O-lineman took his statement about not getting enough help protecting him? You think that went over well with Duane Brown who's played through painful injuries to protect Russ's ass?

I love Russ, glad he's our QB. But I don't like this stuff. He needs to keep it in house and stop floating statements through the media.

He's undermining his teammates and organization..............but maybe that's his intent. He wants out, and is laying the groundwork for leaving next year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:52 pm
  • All in how you look at it. Still feels like a major exaggeration, but oh well.
    Sure seems like people are acting like he's been some career problem child. Which he has NEVER been a problem and/or bad teammate. It is extremely rare that something like this has ever happened with Russ. I'm just not sure why he seems to have a different standard when players all over the league voice their opinions. Someone asked a question, he answered it. Could it have been done behind closed doors? Sure. Pushing himself out of town? Well, that's a matter of OPINION. It's not fact, just because fans say it is. Not sure why some have decided to make it sound like he's done this multiple times, or it's some regular thing. Makes no sense to me.
    But, my opinion holds little to nothing on here. And that's fine.
    Talking football is a good thing, and something I look forward to on here. Just a lot less these days.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:46 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:All in how you look at it. Still feels like a major exaggeration, but oh well.
    Sure seems like people are acting like he's been some career problem child. Which he has NEVER been a problem and/or bad teammate. It is extremely rare that something like this has ever happened with Russ. I'm just not sure why he seems to have a different standard when players all over the league voice their opinions. Someone asked a question, he answered it. Could it have been done behind closed doors? Sure. Pushing himself out of town? Well, that's a matter of OPINION. It's not fact, just because fans say it is. Not sure why some have decided to make it sound like he's done this multiple times, or it's some regular thing. Makes no sense to me.
    But, my opinion holds little to nothing on here. And that's fine.
    Talking football is a good thing, and something I look forward to on here. Just a lot less these days.

It could be an exaggeration, but there's no doubt that it has been a coordinated effort by his team. What their end goal is, who knows. I can't personally see any possible result that benefits Russell with the exception of laying the ground work to have an "excuse" to get out in the greater public's eyes. Any other possible outcome of this move is bad for Russell and the team.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:53 pm
  • rigelian wrote:I think it's simply that Russell is getting older and is realizing that he can't keep on getting hit as often as he does and extend his career as long as he wants.

Ah, Occam's Razor. Well played.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:07 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    rigelian wrote:I think it's simply that Russell is getting older and is realizing that he can't keep on getting hit as often as he does and extend his career as long as he wants.

Ah, Occam's Razor. Well played.

I've thought about that and if he would of phrased it that way, something like, "400 sacks is too many. I'm tired of getting hit so much. I gonna need better protection going forward because I'm not gonna be able to run around like this for ever".

If he had said anything including something like that last part, this ends with that interview and is probably never a story. If he had come out and added something like that post interview when everyone was running wild with the story, this whole thing dies at that point. So far though, none of that has or did happen and a couple other leaks popped up basically doubling down on the media narrative. I'm inclined to think this campaign has something to do with higher level issues and the on field stuff is just the vehicle to deliver the message.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:22 pm
  • I'm not a city guy at all. But as cities go Seattle is my favorite of them all. Seahawks are my team for life. All other teams are the competition to be dealt with.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:54 pm
  • Where is Russell going that gives him a better shot a winning right now? Maybe Miami but their talent at the skill postion is absolutely horrible. If he cares at all about winning he's in the best spot.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Where is Russell going that gives him a better shot a winning right now? Maybe Miami but their talent at the skill postion is absolutely horrible. If he cares at all about winning he's in the best spot.

New Orleans....
    San Francisco..........
    Washington.................
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:22 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Where is Russell going that gives him a better shot a winning right now? Maybe Miami but their talent at the skill postion is absolutely horrible. If he cares at all about winning he's in the best spot.

New Orleans....
    San Francisco..........

If he were traded and that's a big if, it wouldn't within the division and probably not even within the conference.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:35 pm
  • Look at the downtown of a once great city (Seattle) there is your answer.....its the 2nd worst PNW city now...
    SPOHAWK
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:33 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Where is Russell going that gives him a better shot a winning right now? Maybe Miami but their talent at the skill postion is absolutely horrible. If he cares at all about winning he's in the best spot.

New Orleans....
    San Francisco..........

If he were traded and that's a big if, it wouldn't within the division and probably not even within the conference.

You are correct in theory, but you also have to work with who has things to offer and who Wilson will accept a trade with, I chose those three teams because they are a QB away from a big push and have Coaches that are QB friendly as well as have been creative in the past making things happen.

If Wilson is a cancer in John and Pete's eyes you cut it out and take the best you can get, Wilson has a say as well.

The problem with the AFC is most teams suck or have a QB already that are rising. Patriots may be a place, but not sure Wilson and Belichek can work together given personalities, Bill sounds a lot like his NC Coach who demoted him and why he Transferred to Wisconsin.

Wilson I do not think wants to go places in total rebuild mode.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm
  • I think Russ wants to go play in a market he would be able to make more money outside of football. I know he talks about legacy but he had some awful games the past 2 Years. Not seeing the whole field or whatever. He doesn’t want to get hit then he should think about going to NE where he will have to get the ball out in 1.5 seconds. I think we will know next year how Russ really feels. But either way the Hawks better start looking for a backup who can actually play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 pm
  • HawkinNY wrote:I think Russ wants to go play in a market he would be able to make more money outside of football. I know he talks about legacy but he had some awful games the past 2 Years. Not seeing the whole field or whatever. He doesn’t want to get hit then he should think about going to NE where he will have to get the ball out in 1.5 seconds. I think we will know next year how Russ really feels. But either way the Hawks better start looking for a backup who can actually play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will have an issue going forward, unless we completely change our system nobody is going to measure up to what we have with Wilson. Trying to follow a Brady, Manning, Wilson, Brees, Rodgers is almost impossible, San Diego is looking good with Herbert right now, but we will have to see if he maintains his play.

The expectations will be higher then trying to follow Lynch in our backfield.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information