Is it the Seahawks or is it Seattle?

Hawker20

Reaction score
I've been doing some thinking. I really would like to give Russ the benefit of the doubt but it's just very hard as of late.

I don't think the Seahawks aka Pete Carroll are doing much to keep Russ happy, especially after that early playoff exit to the Rams. With that being said I think Russ just wants out of Seattle. I truly believe he and Ciara feel that their brands would be a better fit for a bigger market, which pushes the urge to get out of Seattle. Thoughts?

RockinHawks

Reaction score
If it's logistics, then that is what it is... Seattle will never be L.A. or NYC. So be it. If that's what players want over a championship team, have at it. I'm content with Seattle being a franchise and a city that strives to put a competitive team on the field and a loyal fan base to back them up. Players will always come and go...even when we don't want them do. It's a part of what makes it fun.

If Russ wants a bigger stage for his "brand," he can go suffer as a member of the Jets, or go fizzle with the Cowboys.

I love Wilson, just like I love any Seahawk that plays hard, but if they don't want to be here, I'll keep cheering for the next person who puts on the jersey.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Its Pete.

Period.

Wilson is concerned about his legacy and Pete is ruining it.

Wilson was very clear he did not want a run oriented offense. Let them know he would leave if they did. Pete did, Wilson is leaving.

Has nothing to do with Seattle. If Pete coached in NY this would have happened too. Cept the moment Wilson complained NY would have run Pete out of town, rightfully so.

In Seattle, we still have morons supporting Pete in this.

knownone

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1xlqvvg1 said:
Its Pete.

Period.

Wilson is concerned about his legacy, and Pete is ruining it.

Wilson was very clear he did not want a run oriented offense. Let them know he would leave if they did. Pete did, Wilson is leaving.

Has nothing to do with Seattle. If Pete coached in NY this would have happened too. Cept the moment Wilson complained NY would have run Pete out of town, rightfully so.

In Seattle, we still have morons supporting Pete in this.
If this is true, then Wilson has completely lost touch with reality, and it probably is time to move on from him. There are 53 players on a football team; if Wilson is more concerned with his legacy than winning games, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the locker room? That one guy is bigger than the team? That his legacy is more important than yours? That's a recursive mindset that would spread like cancer through a team, which is the complete opposite of what you want from your franchise QB.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"if Wilson is more concerned with his legacy than winning games, " His legacy IS WINNING GAMES. That's the entire point. Frankly every member of the team wants to win Super Bowls and make more money. Most will know that Wilson gives them the best chance to get those objectives. If anyone of them, wants to sabotage Wilson for spite and thus harm their own potential ability to be in and win a Super Bowl and thus torpedo their ability to make more money, they are children.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Seattle is basically west coast Boston so I don't think logistics are an issue.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Star QB brands are never impacted by market. There are only 32 of those jobs in the world and location is irrelevant given their national profile and ability to appear in primetime television.

Peyton, Favre, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees - all huge national profiles in less than huge markets.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
KinesProf":cbb6uzok said:
Star QB brands are never impacted by market. There are only 32 of those jobs in the world and location is irrelevant given their national profile and ability to appear in primetime television.

Peyton, Favre, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees - all huge national profiles in less than huge markets.
This is too much for some around here to believe. If this were true then they couldn’t lean on that god awful chip on their shoulder over East Coast bias and ‘whoa is me everybody thinks we’re nothing’ thoughts. It gets old.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Appy,

Carroll WAS a successful coach.

WAS

Since his SB loss he has been one of the easier marks in the playoffs.

Much of his regular season success was created because his QB won games for him in the final quarter and because of his defense.

His defense is now between average and trash.

So Pete was good. Buddy Ryan WAS a great defensive coordinator too. The 43 defense WAS once unstoppable. But teams adapt. Pete doesn't. He WAS good. He ISN'T NOW.

He is a great motivator. Great developer of talent.

But he is a liability at almost everything else and if we lose Wilson, the one last reason to keep him, that Wilson likes him...is gone.

If Wilson does not want him, it makes no sense. The only reason Pete has any value as a HC was his value to Wilson. When we thought Wilson was loyal to him, of course you have to sign him again. But now you know Wilson has been silently enduring him? If not worse?

Then what value does he even have? He isn't fielding a great defense. He isn't developing studs from UDFAs all over the place at a high enough clip to justify the rest. He is a doddering old fool on gamedays trying to force outdated football on a roster that does not mesh with his tactics. He can't even keep from meddling with his coordinators to allow them to be successful.

He WAS good. When he had a roster that suited how he like to play football. That roster is gone and so is his effectiveness.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I am wondering why this can't be part of another thread on Wilson being unhappy.

To me this is a repetition on of other threads, but to answer I frankly doubt that R& C want to move to a bigger market to enhance their 'brand'. Besides they have a place in LA and are off for a substantial portion of the year at any rate. So the answer is 'the Seahawks' and the problems are fixable.

There are 32 teams in the league and only 32 starter's jobs at QB. Of the 32 just 12 teams are playoff teams and of them maybe 8 are perennial playoff teams. Seattle is a quality location if you want to at least have a shot at going to the playoffs.
Wilson's gripes are fair and frankly a main subject of discussion as far as the OLine is concerned. The team does need to fix the OLine, and second level guys won't get it done. They have done a better job there since Cable left but need to find answers for interior protection and Aaron Donald. Wilson needs to be given more options on O and the running game needs to be respected and less predictable and easily defenced.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Winning cures all.

If Seattle makes a deep postseason run soon, everything will be fine and dandy.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3uav4ezy said:
Imagine, a guy who names himself "twisted" calls everyone who supports a habitually successful coach a moron.

How dare you. :141847_bnono:

(kidding by the way)

rigelian

Reaction score
I think it's simply that Russell is getting older and is realizing that he can't keep on getting hit as often as he does and extend his career as long as he wants.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2g3cf5nh said:
Appy,

Carroll WAS a successful coach.

WAS

Since his SB loss he has been one of the easier marks in the playoffs.

Much of his regular season success was created because his QB won games for him in the final quarter and because of his defense.

His defense is now between average and trash.

So Pete was good. Buddy Ryan WAS a great defensive coordinator too. The 43 defense WAS once unstoppable. But teams adapt. Pete doesn't. He WAS good. He ISN'T NOW.

He is a great motivator. Great developer of talent.

But he is a liability at almost everything else and if we lose Wilson, the one last reason to keep him, that Wilson likes him...is gone.

If Wilson does not want him, it makes no sense. The only reason Pete has any value as a HC was his value to Wilson. When we thought Wilson was loyal to him, of course you have to sign him again. But now you know Wilson has been silently enduring him? If not worse?

Then what value does he even have? He isn't fielding a great defense. He isn't developing studs from UDFAs all over the place at a high enough clip to justify the rest. He is a doddering old fool on gamedays trying to force outdated football on a roster that does not mesh with his tactics. He can't even keep from meddling with his coordinators to allow them to be successful.

He WAS good. When he had a roster that suited how he like to play football. That roster is gone and so is his effectiveness.

So 12-4 regular season with an early season weak D is evidence Pete WAS a good coach and WAS done already last year?

The OC change means nothing? There is no talent on the roster any more?

The thread here is about Wilson and his motivation to leave and not about Pete. Please stay on point.

We simply disagree at any rate.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If Wilson sees Pete as a net negative.

If he feels that he would produce greater success and a greater legacy under another coach with a more offensive focus?

Why would he stay?

He can get paid the same amount wherever he goes. So money is not the issue.

If the way he is being used is frustrating him, then there certainly is the lure of greener pastures.

If there is no future, or near no future, of success with Pete, or if Pete is on the downside - why would Wilson want to hitch his wagon to him?

Wilson will want to go where he can spread his wings.

At the very least he will want more power and say, he made that clear already. And it has been made clear by the Hawks that they do not want that.

There really is very little keeping Wilson here but the realities of the salary cap and inertia. If Wilson believes he is key in our winning, then he likely will believe he can create that somewhere else as well.

It is pretty clear that emotionally Wilson is divesting himself or at least separating himself from the team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, I'll believe it is even close to how much people blow it out of proportion when I see it.
A player getting tired of Pete? That's nothing new. Him wanting to leave or being angry with the Hawks? I don't believe it one bit. At least at the level people want to convince themselves of...….
He is VERY justified being frustrated imo. I never wanted to believe that Pete and his stubborn nature has held Russ back, but it's very obvious it has. We all have our opinions of it, and that's fine.
Until I see him actually traded, I'm not going to worry about it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaHawkster20":3mrflmpe said:
I've been doing some thinking. I really would like to give Russ the benefit of the doubt but it's just very hard as of late.

I don't think the Seahawks aka Pete Carroll are doing much to keep Russ happy, especially after that early playoff exit to the Rams. With that being said I think Russ just wants out of Seattle. I truly believe he and Ciara feel that their brands would be a better fit for a bigger market, which pushes the urge to get out of Seattle. Thoughts?

Other than made him the highest paid QB at the time, draft a bigtime WR for him, listen to him for free agent decisions like signing Greg Olsen and hire the O-coordinator he wanted after he said he wasn't happy with how the offense was called down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Russell doesn't really want to control personnel decisions, he wants the APPEARANCE of being involved. Because really being involved? I mean REALLY being involved? That means lots and lots of hard work studying game film of college players and free agents you're not familiar with.

It's why giving Russ even a little say in personnel is a bad idea. He wanted Clowney back, he wanted Greg Olsen, he wanted AB, he's always talking about getting more free agent buddies in here. Stars know stars, that's it.

Terrible way to run a franchise......but yeah, let the media think Russell's helping pull the strings. That's all he really wants. Optics of being in charge.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38s2pdf1 said:
SeaHawkster20":38s2pdf1 said:

Other than made him the highest paid QB at the time, draft a bigtime WR for him, listen to him for free agent decisions like signing Greg Olsen and hire the O-coordinator he wanted after he said he wasn't happy with how the offense was called down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Russell doesn't really want to control personnel decisions, he wants the APPEARANCE of being involved. Because really being involved? I mean REALLY being involved? That means lots and lots of hard work studying game film of college players and free agents you're not familiar with.

It's why giving Russ even a little say in personnel is a bad idea. He wanted Clowney back, he wanted Greg Olsen, he wanted AB, he's always talking about getting more free agent buddies in here. Stars know stars, that's it.

Terrible way to run a franchise......but yeah, let the media think Russell's helping pull the strings. That's all he really wants. Optics of being in charge.

We call it a seat at the table sometimes, think of Thanksgiving, the Adults at the big dinner table and let Russell sit at the kids table, seen and not heard, but able to be there and hear how the ADULTS DO BUSINESS.

Which is what I think he really wants, he has desires to own a franchise, he wants to be involved in the operations side now to understand how it's really done.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3fa5tleu said:
KinesProf":3fa5tleu said:

This is too much for some around here to believe. If this were true then they couldn’t lean on that god awful chip on their shoulder over East Coast bias and ‘whoa is me everybody thinks we’re nothing’ thoughts. It gets old.

Yeah, it's super lame every time people bring this up, "legacy teams", etc.

That stuff may have been true in 1993 but we have the internet now and a lot more TV time to watch football teams. The Seahawks and Russell Wilson are beloved across the nation. Almost every other fan base is insanely jealous of what we have. The Seahawks became one of those teams years ago.

If you're still making stuff up about "North Alaska" or whatever you probably think the Pearl Jam Album Vitalogy just came out last year.