Silence Is Deafening

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
All these different Russ threads have been mind numbing to say the least. But let's face it, this is the biggest talk of the NFL at the moment and quite frankly it's a topic I NEVER would have thought would be happening coming off of a 12-4 season and division championship in what is widely known as the toughest division in the NFL.

I'm not wanting to get into the Why's and the How's nor the Where Do We Go From Here's. Those have been debated ad nauseum in this forum for weeks and weeks, in many cases by X's and O's minds much better than my own.

No, what I want to talk about is the silence being felt right now by Pete Carroll and the organization in general.

While I understand Russell's frustrations, I, along with most of you, am baffled by the timing, the delivery and the seemingly calculatedness of it all. Just coming off watching him and Ciara's segment on Ellen earlier today where they were pumping up their perfume/cologne brand, their GQ cover spread...I have officially come to the conclusion that Russell Wilson has decided his "legacy", his brand, is more important to him than team.

Not even the GOAT has ANYWHERE NEAR the level of public drive for his brand, like tentacles, breaching multiple media and platforms and product lines.

So that all brings me to my point. The silence from the organization.

I don't get it. This is the time for Pete Carroll to come out, and make a statement to the fans, to the NFL world about how much they value Russell, how they have no plans to trade him AT ALL, etc, etc, etc.

But instead? No rebuttal. No comments.

Silence.

That doesn't just underscore what many have said, which is that the organization is pissed off that Russell has taken to the media to call out his OL and his general lack of appreciation for being one of the most sacked QBs in the NFL for basically all of his career, but more importantly their lack of saying anything to me indicates that we really have come to the end of the Russell Wilson Era in Seattle.

Whether it's a Lame Duck final 2021 season or he gets traded this offseason, I am not sure. But make no mistake about it, we are staring the end of the Golden Years square in the face and I for one am shocked and saddened it's come to this.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Aros":12f1ha59 said:
All these different Russ threads have been mind numbing to say the least. But let's face it, this is the biggest talk of the NFL at the moment and quite frankly it's a topic I NEVER would have thought would be happening coming off of a 12-4 season and division championship in what is widely known as the toughest division in the NFL.

I'm not wanting to get into the Why's and the How's nor the Where Do We Go From Here's. Those have been debated ad nauseum in this forum for weeks and weeks, in many cases by X's and O's minds much better than my own.

No, what I want to talk about is the silence being felt right now by Pete Carroll and the organization in general.

While I understand Russell's frustrations, I, along with most of you, am baffled by the timing, the delivery and the seemingly calculatedness of it all. Just coming off watching him and Ciara's segment on Ellen earlier today where they were pumping up their perfume/cologne brand, their GQ cover spread...I have officially come to the conclusion that Russell Wilson has decided his "legacy", his brand, is more important to him than team.

Not even the GOAT has ANYWHERE NEAR the level of public drive for his brand, like tentacles, breaching multiple media and platforms and product lines.

I don't get it. This is the time for Pete Carroll to come out, and make a statement to the fans, to the NFL world about how much they value Russell, how they have no plans to trade him AT ALL, etc, etc, etc.

Silence.

That doesn't just underscore what many have said, which is that the organization is pissed off that Russell has taken to the media to call out his OL and his general lack of appreciation for being one of the most sacked QBs in the NFL for basically all of his career, but more importantly their lack of saying anything to me indicates that we really have come to the end of the Russell Wilson Era in Seattle.

Whether it's a Lame Duck final 2021 season or he gets traded this offseason, I am not sure. But make no mistake about it, we are staring the end of the Golden Years square in the face and I for one am shocked and saddened it's come to this.
Aros, none of us here on dot net know for a fact Wilson’s departure from the team is for sure.

Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t.

But it usually requires a big change in order for a change within the organization amongst the executives in the front office.

Its inevitable man. Big changes among all sports teams are bound to happen at some point.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Aros":3op0f42d said:

Silence.

I lurked on this forum for quite a long time. I'm 47. I've been a fan since inception. Always been more of a "reader" of forums and not interested in posting much until the 2013 run. I have always been a Wilson defender at heart while reading a lot of the negative stuff about his play over the earlier years. As the years have gone by and the offense has the same issues from year to year and coordinator to coordinator, most people have been putting that on Pete. For me it's the other constant through those years, Russell. It still wasn't enough for me to think he wasn't the guy though, Until that word started popping up in every single interview that wasn't a post game reaction type interview. LEGACY.

That one word almost completely turned me 180 degrees on Russell. That frequency of that one word coming out of his mouth combined with me, my, and I. That one word was spawned the "let russ cook" movement started by Team 3 (if that isn't obnoxious enough). The straw that broke this camel's back was the post game presser a few games into his turnover meltdown where he went on and on about how he knows he's GREAT like he was trying to convince himself. As soon as I heard that, I was done with Russell win or lose. The whole saga has been orchestrated with the starting point being the NY rumors like a management agency trying to turn a mediocre actor into a mega-star. Shallow, cheap, and horribly obvious. This public stunt just showed his teammates his other face if they didn't already see it. This also made me revisit the old Sherman and other's view of Russell and say maybe they were onto something.

Not one legit all time QB has openly gone on a legacy campaign prior to having cemented their status as all time great. Hell, I don't think any all time great QB has even discussed it until they're on the cusp of retirement and then only reluctantly brushing it off. Russell has lost the plot. He thinks he's already an all time great QB. I've said it a few times in other threads and other places, but I think the crowning of Mahomes crushed his ego. Mahomes is the only QB younger than Russell to challenge his "place" of taking over the game post Brady/Brees/Rogers/Peyton etc....and he couldn't handle it. The push for stars, the push for throwing more, the push for legacy, all came after Mahomes blew the NFL up his first 2 seasons.

Russell went from winning being the only thing that mattered, to LEGACY being the only thing that matters. Winning is only important now because it's the means to the LEGACY. Once winning gets reduced to only a means to an end, nothing but poor decisions follow. It's also why I think he'll suffer similar results anywhere else he goes.

That's my theory anyway and that's why I would rather they rip the Band-Aid off right now than go through 1 more season lame duck season. He's not signing another contract here, so what's the point.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I feel the same except I think we still have a first class organization and finding a QB that will have success on a team that is a top 5 run game and a top 5 D will be easier than people think.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Wenhawk":1n4vxkm7 said:
I feel the same except I think we still have a first class organization and finding a QB that will have success on a team that is a top 5 run game and a top 5 D will be easier than people think.

Do you mind saying what your definition of "success" is in this context? Do you have any examples of that happening to support your feelings?

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":5buw9ldh said:
Aros":5buw9ldh said:

Silence.

I lurked on this forum for quite a long time. I'm 47. I've been a fan since inception. Always been more of a "reader" of forums and not interested in posting much until the 2013 run. I have always been a Wilson defender at heart while reading a lot of the negative stuff about his play over the earlier years. As the years have gone by and the offense has the same issues from year to year and coordinator to coordinator, most people have been putting that on Pete. For me it's the other constant through those years, Russell. It still wasn't enough for me to think he wasn't the guy though, Until that word started popping up in every single interview that wasn't a post game reaction type interview. LEGACY.

That one word almost completely turned me 180 degrees on Russell. That frequency of that one word coming out of his mouth combined with me, my, and I. That one word was spawned the "let russ cook" movement started by Team 3 (if that isn't obnoxious enough). The straw that broke this camel's back was the post game presser a few games into his turnover meltdown where he went on and on about how he knows he's GREAT like he was trying to convince himself. As soon as I heard that, I was done with Russell win or lose. The whole saga has been orchestrated with the starting point being the NY rumors like a management agency trying to turn a mediocre actor into a mega-star. Shallow, cheap, and horribly obvious. This public stunt just showed his teammates his other face if they didn't already see it. This also made me revisit the old Sherman and other's view of Russell and say maybe they were onto something.

Not one legit all time QB has openly gone on a legacy campaign prior to having cemented their status as all time great. Hell, I don't think any all time great QB has even discussed it until they're on the cusp of retirement and then only reluctantly brushing it off. Russell has lost the plot. He thinks he's already an all time great QB. I've said it a few times in other threads and other places, but I think the crowning of Mahomes crushed his ego. Mahomes is the only QB younger than Russell to challenge his "place" of taking over the game post Brady/Brees/Rogers/Peyton etc....and he couldn't handle it. The push for stars, the push for throwing more, the push for legacy, all came after Mahomes blew the NFL up his first 2 seasons.

Russell went from winning being the only thing that mattered, to LEGACY being the only thing that matters. Winning is only important now because it's the means to the LEGACY. Once winning gets reduced to only a means to an end, nothing but poor decisions follow. It's also why I think he'll suffer similar results anywhere else he goes.

That's my theory anyway and that's why I would rather they rip the Band-Aid off right now than go through 1 more season lame duck season. He's not signing another contract here, so what's the point.
Great post. I think your onto something

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agree, "LEGACY" has become his focus and it's just sad.

The best QB we have ever had, and likely the best we will ever see in ALL of our lifetimes, has gone Hollywood.

Ciara has played a major roll in this, make NO mistake. She's in his ear 24/7 more than any agent or friend.

The Ellen show with the perfume/cologne pimping was my Uh Oh moment.

Just sucks because I honestly feel without Russ, we are back to mediocrity. Hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

knownone

Reaction score
I could not agree more. The more I've learned about Russell's comments and the staging of the events leading up to them, the more I see why the front office would be upset. Russell is making the narrative entirely about him while subversively attacking the legacy and credibility of the organization. This has been a model franchise since Allen took over. Pete Carroll is one of the greatest coaches of all time. John Schneider is among the most respected and successful GM's in the NFL. Yet, Russ basically went on live television and talked as if he'd been in Detroit the past 10 years.

Russ always talks about wanting to be like Jeter, but it's starting to look like his legacy in Seattle could end up looking like Arod.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
knownone":1fxn03q4 said:
I could not agree more. The more I've learned about Russell's comments and the staging of the events leading up to them, the more I see why the front office would be upset. Russell is making the narrative entirely about him while subversively attacking the legacy and credibility of the organization. This has been a model franchise since Allen took over. Pete Carroll is one of the greatest coaches of all time. John Schneider is among the most respected and successful GM's in the NFL. Yet, Russ basically went on live television and talked as if he'd been in Detroit the past 10 years.

Russ always talks about wanting to be like Jeter, but it's starting to look like his legacy in Seattle could end up looking like Arod.
There are 15 Head Coaches that have a better playoff record than Pete Carroll since our last Super Bowl win, 15. Nobody has lost more playoff games in that time period than Pete Carroll. We keep losing because of the same reasons as well. Running conservative schemes that allow the other team to run up the score. When we finally let the reigns loose on Wilson we have too big of a deficit to overcome. It's been the story since 2015.

On offense we also run a really weird scheme. Wilson isn't afforded the same agency as other vet QB's in the league. Carroll puts on really tight reigns on Wilson, especially after a bad game. Carroll's offensive playbook needs to be thrown in the trash, and he needs to let the OC handle that. Want to try running the ball? Got it, i'm on it Carroll. Tell him what you want and let him execute.

Along with the scheme we don't invest anything in our offensive line, yet force Wilson to run 7 step drops on a regular basis. We're 32nd in O-Line spending, and the offensive linemen we do invest in are primarily runblockers with poor pass blocking abilities. We're throwing money at a bunch of stop gaps and expecting them to fix our issues. The scheme and our lack of investment on the offensive line is killing us. For example, we knew Iupati has an extensive injury history and is washed up. We could have gone after someone like Graham Glasgow instead and shored up our left guard or center position. He was very good at all of the interior positions and has played every position there. Would he cost money, yes. Who would it have costed us? Greg Olsen? Finney? Iupati?

You think this is unique to Russ? QBs such as Brady, Manning, and Rodgers have been known to make demands like this. There are videos of Manning and Brady cussing out their linemen for messing up. QB's having tenuous relationships with their head coaches also isn't a new thing. Russ has been with us since 2012, and behind closed doors he's probably had chats like this with Carroll and nothing has changed. It's been a different face calling the plays, same tired old scheme. Pete acts like he is giving in to the pressure, but inevitably goes back to doing what he's always done.

Is Russell perfect? No. I think he feels as if this is his only option to get Carroll to relent. Ever since our playoff loss he's been ramping up his rhetoric. DK Metcalf also chimed in. The funny part is, Wilson seemed okay with Schottenheimer, but not Carroll. I don't blame him one bit for forcing the issue. This has been going on for years now. I think he's gone if we don't see some change in 2021, and if that is the case Carroll should probably be fired. Chasing away a QB of Wilson's caliber is unacceptable.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1kper8gp said:

You are severely out of your gourd on this, We don't have a top 5 run game right now, nor do we have a top 5 defense, we spent the better part of 35 years trying to get a Franchise QB.

You think you can open an App and order any one of these?

Ask the Browns fans, Ask the Lions fans, Ask the Jets Fans, for recent understanding.

Getting all the pieces together to be formidable is skill, luck and then having the Coaching Staff top down that knows how to teach and get the best out of that talent.

If it was so easy how come only the Patriots have in the last 20 years won the most Super Bowls.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Aros":bv0bmvvx said:
Agree, "LEGACY" has become his focus and it's just sad.

The best QB we have ever had, and likely the best we will ever see in ALL of our lifetimes, has gone Hollywood.

Ciara has played a major roll in this, make NO mistake. She's in his ear 24/7 more than any agent or friend.

The Ellen show with the perfume/cologne pimping was my Uh Oh moment.

Just sucks because I honestly feel without Russ, we are back to mediocrity. Hope I am wrong but I doubt it.
I don't know who it is, but her line of work does bring a lot of people into their orbit that do that stuff for a living. The music business is pure marketing and packaging for all but the most gifted who don't need to rely on it. I mean most music anymore is doesn't even require any talent at all. Technology has made it really easy to take someone with the look and build everything else around them.

I picked up someone mention that Rogers his agent was a journalist in some manner (print media maybe) prior to entering the agent business with baseball, so he's well versed in how use the media as a tool obviously. There's also no question that pushing a ton of products is going to bring that strategy into play more often.

All of this to say that there is probably a team of people telling Russell how great he is on a daily basis. Convincing him that it's everyone else's fault he had a bad game. A bubble like that given enough time can eat away at even the strongest shell of character causing one to lose the ability to hold one's self sufficiently accountable to keep a grip on what's important.

It appears that Russell forgot what got him to the point of even being able to start dreaming about a legacy, the FOOTBALL part of the equation.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
A funny (or scary) hypothetical scenario that was thrown out there on Wyman's show in jest today. What if this whole thing was drummed up by Russ's team, TEAM 3, just to get the media stirred up and talking about him prior to the his/her fragrance drop! How disturbing would that be. I can't make room in my head to accept that as legit possibility, but it would be an all timer and I'm not sure in a good way or bad way. I can't even process that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete and John never address stuff until the have a plan and execute it, they explain after the fact.

Wilson has gone Hollywood I think, he is hanging with performers not athletes a lot more, different mentality.

On the football side, Pete has not adapted and or found the players he used to find due to the rest of the league adapting to use and now bypassing us.

The Air Coryell offense of San Diego is in Kansas City.

The Tampa Two is now being used more league wide again.

Changing up does not have to be new, it has to be different then what the trend on defense and offense are.

Everyone has gone big in the secondary due to Pete, they almost all have went to a one back set.

Going back to smaller quick receivers and WCO type offense would flourish now and counter the Tampa two. QB's that can release quickly and read in route receiver that can break quick and accelerate.

Run game with a fullback lead blocking and a RB that can read and cut off blocks and take advantage of the lighter LB's and get bigger gains.

Those are just ideas and observations.

But it has been 11 years now for Pete here, most coaches wear out their welcome because they get stuck in a rut and don't change and have to move on.

The great ones only had their era and the league adapted, they stayed for years after but never achieved the same success mostly because they get stuck in their ways.

The exception is Belichick who adapts every week let alone every season, we will see next year if he can still do it.

It may be time here in Seattle, I don't want to go backwards anymore then other fans but we need a change, player, Coach, adapt and or look different and evolve or devolve to a system teams are not staffed to play against and where we can get premium players to run that kind of system because the rest of the league is wanting to use the current trendy stuff.

uncle fester

Reaction score
chris98251":10oyty2x said:
Wenhawk":10oyty2x said:

You are severely out of your gourd on this, We don't have a top 5 run game right now, nor do we have a top 5 defense, we spent the better part of 35 years trying to get a Franchise QB.

Ask the Browns fans, Ask the Lions fans, Ask the Jets Fans, for recent understanding.

Getting all the pieces together to be formidable is skill, luck and then having the Coaching Staff top down that knows how to teach and get the best out of that talent.

This is the bit that most folks stating they’re done with Russ/trade him etc., can’t answer with any sort of substance. Preferring to jump into irrelevance, with both feet, just because the QB said some things you don’t like? Really??

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nah. I love a good conspiracy theory like the next dude but this smacks of what it smells, looks and feels like.

- Russ is frustrated about the lack of protection. Most if not all of his career.

- Russ is frustrated that due to sub-par coaching and scheming we were bounced in the first round of the playoffs at home to the Rams with a backup QB and a hobbled Goff.

- Russ is frustrated of the team's perpetual insistence of looking for bargains and "versatile" players for the OL instead of drafting players who excel at their chosen positions, aka LG, C, etc, etc...

- Russ is frustrated that he asks for more super star players and the response is a has-been tight end with literally zero tread left.

Russ is just frustrated. And I don't blame him. But I DO blame him for taking this shit to the national media and creating chaos in the organization that cannot easily be repaired. As great of a human being as he is, and has shown, this is a legit tarnish on his name as a player. NEVER throw your players under the bus. E V E R .

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Dont think to much on legacy. While most people would say he is becoming to selfish...its crap. He just won walter Payton's man of the year. That is the most unselfish thing in the nfl and we all know the hospital visits. Also, 9 years in...all winning seasons almost. One superbowl...playoff losses. I guess everyone here would be happy at their respective jobs after giving your all for so long and not getting results. Plus, it is his legacy. Seahawks legacy. He wants better not only for him, but the city. Its shameful that alot of his fans are turning on him.

rcaido

Reaction score
Im sure all the Pete & Russell haters are loving this...

This is all a bunch of nonsense offseason. Wilson is not getting traded. Pete is not getting fired.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Same situation we were in after 49. We kept the coaches then and lost the players. Haven’t been a shadow of those squads since and PC guided the ship downwards. Now RW is in the 2015 LOB boat and not buying the rah rah.

If you want to remain relevant and not go back to the 90s, you fire PC immediately. No one is buying into his fluff anymore and he can’t build a winning team. He also can’t coach on Sundays. Wilson knows it. You protect your players not your coaches.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
chris98251":37zknimr said:
Wenhawk":37zknimr said:

If it was so easy how come only the Patriots have in the last 20 years won the most Super Bowls.

Yeah, I'm not really paying much attention to all this Wilson stuff. A lot of the fans are locked into some weird storytelling thing where they have themselves convinced of pretty significant things. They might be partially correct or even pretty right. But it's based around some fantasy of how they know how some things like Carroll doing this or that will fix everything, and now we're at the extreme end of it with Wilson being too "Hollywood" and needing to eject him and/or Carroll.

Wen is saying "easier than people think"; finding a QB that have a multi-year run of not losing you games, much less being a significant reason in winning them is an absurdly low probability. Roughly half of NFL teams don't even have a dude who can pull it off for one year, much less string together 3-5 good seasons.

There are teams that haven't had a good quarterback in the existence of their franchise (example: Jaguars, over a quarter of a century now). There are some that haven't had one since before the Korean War (example: Bears, Sid Luckman).

If people just want to change because they're frustrated with where the team is at, then I guess that's a thing. It's mathematically not a good probability things will go well for many seasons, but some people like to gamble.

If you're just wanting to dump Wilson because he's "too Hollywood" or whatever, I think you're less interested in actual football than you should be.

If people think that dumping Wilson because of cap is a good idea, there's up to a $10 million savings when you get down to veterans who don't suck. That's it. $10 million. And they're not even close to Wilson quality. Ryan Tannehill's 2021 cap hit is $2.5 million less than Wilson.

You can also draft rookie after rookie, but the NFL QB rookie crapshoot is a wild ride that generally ends in disappointment.

The 2017 draft had Mahones and Watson, then a bunch of dudes that aren't working out.

Here's everybody drafted at QB from 2016 to 2013:

Goff
Wentz
Lynch
Hackenberg
Brissett
Kessler
Cook
Prescott
Jones
Hogan
Sudfeld
Rudock
Allen
Driskel
Doughty
Winston
Mariota
Grayson
Mannion
Petty
Hundley
Siemian
Bortles
Manzel
Bridgewater
Carr
Garoppolo
Thomas
Savage
Murray
McCarron
Mettenberger
Fales
Wenning
Boyd
Gilbert
Manuel
Smith
Glennon
Barkley
Nassib
T Wilson
L Jones
Sorensen
Dysert
Daniels
Renfree

That's four drafts. I don't even know if you can argue that there are eight good or better multi-year starters in there, which would be an average of two per year. For 32 teams to draft.

xray

Reaction score
Familiarity breeds contempt . I'm sure Wilson has complained privately about the OL situation for several years . Maybe he is just weary of the lack of response . Maybe Wilson and Carroll are weary of each other . Maybe it's like a marriage built on tolerance that becomes intolerable after many years . Chit happens .