ZONE BLOCKING

tersal

Reaction score
With Waldron I suspect we will see zone blocking as opposed to power blocking in the run game how does every one feel about that? Also is this offensive line built for zone blocking which relies on smaller offensive linemen. Damien Lewis?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well, it probably won't be an immediate full-shift towards zone concepts. Seattle already has some zone concepts in the scheme, so it isn't totally unfamiliar either. Their retaining Solari indicates that they're probably going to look to build an approach that utilizes more zone, but not a full-on Shanny attack. They don't have the personnel for it.

Over time, I expect the archetype for guards to change the most. Brown and Shell will likely be fine. Lewis won't be in a perfect situation for his strengths, but will also likely be fine. Good guards are generally good guards regardless, and we saw his quick adaptation to new situations on full display when he shifted to C vs. Arizona, which I think was his most impressive performance. I'm most excited to see Pocic continue at center full-time with more zone schemes - that's what he's truly built to do, and I expect him to look a lot better on those zone concepts.

So, yeah... over time, the archetype for interior linemen is likely gonna shift towards nimble guys who can move well laterally, and are (generally) comparatively lighter. Just don't expect a 100% shift immediately.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
All the teams in the nfl use zone blocking. They dont use gap concept anymore. Seahawks draft lineman already knowing this. Lewis will be fine. One year in and already regarded as one of the better right guards.

Forthewin

Reaction score
I didn't know the OL was using any kind of scheme...I thought they were just winging it every play last year!