Every Sack from 2020

SNDavidson

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1360068796162007042[/tweet]

John63

Reaction score
SNDavidson":3e64n5k8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1360068796162007042[/tweet]

Keep in mind, that does not count hits, hurries, and pressures. and you don't know what the play call was, or the progression. Wow a lot of very quick sacks no wonder he was #1 in sacked, hit, hurried or pressured in under 2.5 seconds

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
But, but, the OL was ranked 14th overall and thats the best ranking of Wilsons career. How can that be?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I see several in there that were the result of a blitz off the edge. In these RW doesn’t appear to know that the blitz is coming.

I wonder if he’s not seeing these blitzes?

Thanks for posting this video.

hawk45

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":26snc3ur said:
But, but, the OL was ranked 14th overall and thats the best ranking of Wilsons career. How can that be?
Well that incongruity can happen if a sizable number of those sacks came on blitzes. OL isn’t, and shouldn’t be, downgraded when a QB isn’t recognizing blitz pre snap and adjusting. Or if an OC isn’t adjusting.

Wilson in particular ignores corner blitzes and that leads to flashy insta sacks and folks screaming about OL because he had 0.5 seconds.

That video has blitzes galore, naked boots where the end is unblocked by design and just wasn’t fooled, and many plays with plenty of time or where Wilson bailed from a clean pocket.

That video indicts Wilson and to some extent schotty more than the line. Even the guy who posted this talks about how the blocking was better than he expected.

One thing you see a ton of: short routes. They aren’t always open, Wilson doesn’t always use them when they are, but they are demonstrably present. The “no short routes” meme needs to die.

And if Wilson is getting blitzed and still doesn’t make those his primary read, that’s on him. We aren’t calling all the short routes you see on that film for them to get ignored, we’re clearly calling them to help Wilson out.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I see many holding the ball too long period-(get rid of it)
I also noticed he loves bailing out to the right(the defense already knows this too)
This is not everything as Hawk45 says ..He ignores the short routes
He is lousy at pre snap reads ect ..Doesn't adjust ect
To me his legs are going along with his reaction time..He's losing to father time.
His excuse?It's the OL-Again my take is there is no line that will fix his issues
that were hidden a lot by his speed and being a sandlot houdini.
A great OL would be nice but it shouldn't be required just to try and cover up the
issues that a great QB shouldn't have.

knownone

Reaction score
What am I missing? The offensive line struggles, for sure, but a lot of these sacks are on Russell.

There was an interview a while back with Walter Jones, and Walter explained how hard it is for a lineman to block for Russell because he breaks pocket containment, which leads to gaps for free runners. He also talked about the importance of throwing the ball quickly after stepping up in the pocket because it's easier for defenders to disengage from blocks when they are level with the QB. Watching this video, we see many of those issues come up, but we often fail to acknowledge them as being the fault of both Russ and the O-line. Instead, we tend to blame the O-line for everything.

An interesting case study on this is the 2015 AFC Championship game. They replayed it recently on the NFL network. Brady was harassed the entire game, and he struggled. The Broncos got pressure on just under 40% of passing plays, sacked him 4 times, and hit him 17 times. Brady played awful. However, his pocket presence was masterful to watch, and I couldn't help but think if Russ were in that situation, he'd have been sacked well over 10 times.

There is also the weird factor that Seahawk's lineman tend to improve as pass blockers after leaving. James Carpenter was awful as a pass blocker here but posted 3 straight above-average (75+ according to PFF) for the Jets after leaving. Germain Ifedi was horrible with us. He averaged 7 sacks given up per season. He goes to the Bears and immediately has his best year as a pass blocker and gives up just 2 sacks.

My point being, we can't blame everything on the O-line. It's tough to differentiate their performance from Russell or the offensive scheme. The schemes have changed. The personnel has changed. The results have not. The one variable you can control for is Russell, so it makes no sense to exonerate him from the blame.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Dude needs to get the ball out quicker. There are many of them that you can see him look at someone, pump and then keep looking down field.

water under the bridge now though, I have faith in Shane Waldron. I think we are going to see RW's best years under this OC.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, compare how long Russ takes from snap to WR screens. He needs to practice getting the ball quicker without having to have a perfect lace grip, and feeling it soon. His delivery delays cause these plays to go for 1 or 2 yards rather than 4 - 6 yards.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1sznizxx said:
I see several in there that were the result of a blitz off the edge. In these RW doesn’t appear to know that the blitz is coming.

He also is at the LOS with only a few seconds on the clock leaving him minimal ability to change the play or make adjustments.

hawk45

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":15w285bu said:
HawkNuts":15w285bu said:

He also is at the LOS with only a few seconds on the clock leaving him minimal ability to change the play or make adjustments.
AgentDib had a great post a while back about how it’s not true we snap it late all the time. There are some high profile times we do, and those shouldn’t be ignored, but that’s not what is going on a majority of the time.

I used to think Russell ignored extra rushers on the edge because he gambled he could elude them. I don’t know what he’s thinking now. His failure there pre snap gets blamed on the OL constantly and I’d be annoyed if I were them.

xray

Reaction score
He's gonna be 33 . He got fatter and with age a human loses height , so he might only be 5-9 for all we know . Can't see and can't run like he used to . Oh...and he can't check down worth a chit . :D

chris98251

Reaction score
I think one of the main factors in short routes as anticipation, throwing guys open I call it, that's where turnovers can happen if the WR and QB don't have things in sync.

Waiting for a underneath rout guy to come open, then throw it is like at least 2 seconds from throw to catch, LB's, Safeties, and Slot guys can cover a lot of ground in two seconds to a guy that is clean for the moment.

That all takes longer then Wilson has the ability to sit in a pocket and or 3 step or shot gun formations and drops.

Why it appears to he ignores them even if there. That and they are basic routes not a lot of double moves and or disengage to open type routes.

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3vgd80b4 said:

14th overall could mean 24th pass and 5 run for all we know.

John63

Reaction score
HawkNuts":3v0sll06 said:

Or he did and made a call but the line blew it.

hinton

Reaction score
Interesting that so few sacks camp from quick pressure up the middle. Though this is obviusly just a sack reel, a sack-and-pressure reel might show a different picture.

Quick hits:

- Sort out the protection on the CB blitzes and delayed blitzes, that's on the OC and Russ

- Stop snapping the ball with 0.0001s left on the play-clock, give Russ chance to read and adapt

- Have a quick-out or hot-route, our short-passing game was woeful. We have good TE's, use them.

- Personally I'd bring back the I-formation. Might be my memory playing tricks on be but Russ was a lot better using an RB/FB as a chess-piece in protection

If we can upgrade the O-line then great, but to me more of the sacks are on play-calling, timing, and Russ holding onto the ball too long, which should be 'relatively' easy fixes for a good OC and QB.