Freeing up cap space?

massari

Reaction score
Trading Wagner, Adams, and Reed would open up about $32M in cap space.

Jordyn Brooks replaces Wagner
Marquise Blair replaces Adams

They can create about $45M in cap room if they're able to agree on some extensions.

Projected Cap Gains from extensions:

Carlos Dunlap $10,020,000
Tyler Lockett $8,968,000
Duane Brown $7,420,000
Jamal Adams $7,096,000
Quandre Diggs $3,568,000
Brandon Shell $1,668,000
Jarran Reed $6,068,000
Tre Flowers $1,010,400

Also:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1359176688442040326[/tweet]

nwHawk

Reaction score
Might be the biggest debate of the offseason. Something has to give. Question is do the Hawks sacrifice '21 to make another super bowl push in '22, or try to skate by.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't get rid of Adam's. He's a dog with a killer's mentality. DK is turning into the offense's dog.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
massari":2bsyw69o said:
Trading Wagner, Adams, and Reed would open up about $32M in cap space.

Jordyn Brooks replaces Wagner
Marquise Blair replaces Adams

They can create about $45M in cap room if they're able to agree on some extensions.

Projected Cap Gains from extensions:

Carlos Dunlap $10,020,000
Tyler Lockett $8,968,000
Duane Brown $7,420,000
Jamal Adams $7,096,000
Quandre Diggs $3,568,000
Brandon Shell $1,668,000
Jarran Reed $6,068,000
Tre Flowers $1,010,400

Also:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1359176688442040326[/tweet]

Corbin isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed! I enjoy his film break down but he clearly doesn’t get it when it comes to team management.
The Salary Cap is not an issue for the Seahawks, pundits are making it an issue so they can write stories about it! The issues for Seattle are performance & talent related! Is Lockett worth a 3rd contract? If he is sign him, if not trade him or cut him. Same goes for Brown, Diggs, Reed, etc.. Seattle has $87 Million on the books for 2022 5th most cap space in the league with star QB & LB signed = best cap situation in the league!

The Breh

Reaction score
Why is Adams ever mentioned?
We JUST traded 2 firsts and a third for him knowing what his future earnings would be.
The defense finally made it's turnaround and he's comfortable.
Unless John has a whole deck let alone A single solitary card up his sleeve, this is worthless to mention.

flv

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":1qjpi287 said:
...The Salary Cap is not an issue for the Seahawks, pundits are making it an issue so they can write stories about it! The issues for Seattle are performance & talent related! Is Lockett worth a 3rd contract? If he is sign him, if not trade him or cut him. Same goes for Brown, Diggs, Reed, etc...
Bravo sir! How much a player will be worth to a team is the primary factor when looking at the possible signings.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Every time I see Adams mentioned to be released or traded I just shake my head. Why would anybody want to do that?

pinksheets

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":12ka8sdu said:
Every time I see Adams mentioned to be released or traded I just shake my head. Why would anybody want to do that?
Because spending $15m-$20m a year on a safety who isn't elite in coverage is a huge mistake, at least for a team with as many holes as this one. It's not a good use of resources, in my opinion, and this off-season is the last chance to move him for value otherwise you either 1) pay him a huge sum of money to make him the highest paid safety in the league, which he'll surely demand or 2) let him walk when you can't come to terms and you settle for a comp pick.

I think the trade was a mistake, and I don't think he fits the Seahawks scheme particularly well, certainly not worth how much money he will demand. The Hawks made that trade (presumably) knowing they could move him for value if they couldn't extend him, so I at least hope they're setting a firm price and would look up trade if they know he wants more.

nanomoz

Reaction score
What Pinksheets said. 20m for a box safety is insane. Especially with all the other holes on the team. If you can recoup one of those firsts (or more) I think they should to do it. He belongs in a 34 besides.

getnasty

Reaction score
You guys say box safety as if Jamal is a dynamic playmaker and honestly the only player on the defense people have to gameplan around. I'm not saying he's worth 20 million but he's a little more the a "Box Safety"

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The worst contract on the team right now is Jarran Reed, and they have an out.

Apart from that, significant space can be created with extensions and the ol' signing bonus trick.

misfit

Reaction score
Jamal probably hits 15 sacks and is in DPOY consideration if he stays healthy last season

getnasty

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":uj0udppv said:

Apart from that, significant space can be created with extensions and the ol' signing bonus trick.

8 million freed up if you cut Reed, unfortunately i don't think your finding his replacement for that. I actually thought Reed played well last year. I'd let him try to ball out in a contract year for 8 million.

massari

Reaction score
getnasty":2f8wfdmx said:
8 million freed up if you cut Reed, unfortunately i don't think your finding his replacement for that.
That could be Leonard Williams' 2021 cap hit after a long term signing.

Tenor

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
getnasty":1r4vao88 said:
Maelstrom787":1r4vao88 said:

8 million freed up if you cut Reed, unfortunately i don't think your finding his replacement for that. I actually thought Reed played well last year. I'd let him try to ball out in a contract year for 8 million.

8 million for Reed is ridiculous. Ford and Mone both outplayed him last year. Mone has the flexibility to play 0/1/3T and Ford is likely the best DL on the team. Reed can be replaced by giving Mone more snaps and signing some cheap depth to back those two up.

I'd rather he be traded, but either way, his salary is a bit silly compared to his level of play. He's way overvalued because of his sack total.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm normally opposed to restructures and overly back loaded extensions. It's one of the few areas where the interests of the front office and the long-term fanbase are not aligned, as I plan on remaining a season ticket holder long after Pete and John are both gone. Whether the cap is expected to go up in the future or not is a red herring, because in any case we are still borrowing against our future potential at a poor rate of return.

One exception this season could be if there are unusually good long-term deals to be had in free agency due to the scarcity of cap space around the league. There's a pretty long list of good players who are likely to be released due to cap concerns in addition to an already existing strong group of free agents, and not many teams have the cap space to pursue these players. I wouldn't like seeing the front office spend future cap on a bunch of one year deals, but if we could borrow from the future to get somebody like Leonard Williams at a reduced price on a long-term deal then that becomes an investment rather than bad future cap management.

Fade

Reaction score
getnasty":2wd43ytq said:
You guys say box safety as if Jamal is a dynamic playmaker and honestly the only player on the defense people have to gameplan around. I'm not saying he's worth 20 million but he's a little more the a "Box Safety"

With the Seahawks he had a bad coverage grade, and the film backs this up. The teams "gameplanned" all right. Put him in coverage, and torch him over and over.

Also too having to blitz him 10x a game because he can't cover, whelp, he only gets home on 10% of his rushes, which also means they are in a coverage deficit on 90% of his blitzes.

He is a square peg in a round hole, unless they want to convert to a Todd Bowles esque 3-4. (Not happening.) He doesn't fit. Costs a lot, and was injured a lot.

Trade him now, while he still has value.