First Time/Long Time - I need to vent!

CelticWolf12

Reaction score
Hello all…Long time voyeur on these boards. Terrific discussion, onions/commentary. Thank you!

Most of these observations have been talked about, but I need to get this off my chest:

1. I think Peter Carrol has been a terrific head football coach for this team. HOWEVER, I also believe he has not been able to change and/or be innovative over time. I read a few years back about how the NFL has figured out Pete & Co. with respect to his offensive and defensive play calling. I wholeheartedly believe this is true. Bottom line, Seattle could have the best OC and/or DC in the league. But, if Pete can’t change, alter, or update his philosophy, this team will not go deep into the playoffs let alone win the SB. The two most important attributes for NFL success are INNOVATION & DECEPTION, and unfortunately Pete doesn’t believe in either!

2. I won’t pretend to know the inner workings or team dynamics of the Seahawks, but I see what I see. I wonder how many time a game Pete is in the earpiece of Russ changing the play causing a delay. I wonder how many times Pete deviates from his own game plan both offensively and defensively. My understanding is that the first 20 – 25 offensive plays are scripted based off of film study, tendencies, etc. of the other team. It seems to me, this Seattle team has been way below average in successfully attacking other teams in the first quarter. It’s as if Seattle’s opponents don’t need to adjust week in and week out to the Hawks because they already know how to attack and beat Seattle. Conversely, Seattle seems to be extremely late in making in-game adjustments and/or deviations.

3. I am sick and tired of hearing about the run first vs. let Russ cook debate. It’s not about running first or passing first, but rather deception and innovation. It’s about how you run and which gap you’re attacking. It’s about when you run. It’s about how and when you attack the secondary with short/medium/long passing concepts. It’s about passing out of obvious running formations and and vice versa. Sean McVay, Bill Belichic, Andy Reid and Sean Payton are master of this.

4. I know they improved as the year went on, but this year’s defense was a disaster! KNJ, IMO, has gotten a free pass because everyone is so hyper focused on Seattle’s offense and Russ, etc. The last 8 weeks weren’t as bad as the first 8 weeks, which isn't saying much. Focusing on the last 8 weeks, Seattle faced some bad quarterbacks and horrible opponents, yet still managed to give up substantial yardage and lose games! Facing the likes of Jared Goff (x2), Wentz, Haskins (threw for 300 yards), Murray (at least he didn’t throw for 360+ again), Darnold, McCoy, and Beathard. Lots of bad teams and lots of bad quarterback play. Bottom line for me is that this Seattle defense improved from being the WORST DEFENSE EVER to play in the NFL to average/slightly below average. That’s with Dunlap, Wagner, Reed, Wright, Adams, etc. playing. Much like the Seattle offense, the NFL has figured out this defense and therefore BIG CHANGES need to occur!

Thanks for letting me vent…

Go Hawks!

Fade

Reaction score
Celtic Wolff":1fhevd3p said:
Hello all…Long time voyeur on these boards. Terrific discussion, onions/commentary. Thank you!

Most of these observations have been talked about, but I need to get this off my chest:

1. I think Peter Carrol has been a terrific head football coach for this team. HOWEVER, I also believe he has not been able to change and/or be innovative over time. I read a few years back about how the NFL has figured out Pete & Co. with respect to his offensive and defensive play calling. I wholeheartedly believe this is true. Bottom line, Seattle could have the best OC and/or DC in the league. But, if Pete can’t change, alter, or update his philosophy, this team will not go deep into the playoffs let alone win the SB. The two most important attributes for NFL success are INNOVATION & DECEPTION, and unfortunately Pete doesn’t believe in either!

2. I won’t pretend to know the inner workings or team dynamics of the Seahawks, but I see what I see. I wonder how many time a game Pete is in the earpiece of Russ changing the play causing a delay. I wonder how many times Pete deviates from his own game plan both offensively and defensively. My understanding is that the first 20 – 25 offensive plays are scripted based off of film study, tendencies, etc. of the other team. It seems to me, this Seattle team has been way below average in successfully attacking other teams in the first quarter. It’s as if Seattle’s opponents don’t need to adjust week in and week out to the Hawks because they already know how to attack and beat Seattle. Conversely, Seattle seems to be extremely late in making in-game adjustments and/or deviations.

3. I am sick and tired of hearing about the run first vs. let Russ cook debate. It’s not about running first or passing first, but rather deception and innovation. It’s about how you run and which gap you’re attacking. It’s about when you run. It’s about how and when you attack the secondary with short/medium/long passing concepts. It’s about passing out of obvious running formations and and vice versa. Sean McVay, Bill Belichic, Andy Reid and Sean Payton are master of this.

4. I know they improved as the year went on, but this year’s defense was a disaster! KNJ, IMO, has gotten a free pass because everyone is so hyper focused on Seattle’s offense and Russ, etc. The last 8 weeks weren’t as bad as the first 8 weeks, which isn't saying much. Focusing on the last 8 weeks, Seattle faced some bad quarterbacks and horrible opponents, yet still managed to give up substantial yardage and lose games! Facing the likes of Jared Goff (x2), Wentz, Haskins (threw for 300 yards), Murray (at least he didn’t throw for 360+ again), Darnold, McCoy, and Beathard. Lots of bad teams and lots of bad quarterback play. Bottom line for me is that this Seattle defense improved from being the WORST DEFENSE EVER to play in the NFL to average/slightly below average. That’s with Dunlap, Wagner, Reed, Wright, Adams, etc. playing. Much like the Seattle offense, the NFL has figured out this defense and therefore BIG CHANGES need to occur!

Thanks for letting me vent…

Go Hawks!

At least someone gets it. I hate debating it because the convo always gets dumbed down into run vs pass. When that isn't the point. It's the predictability and stubbornness of the plan itself (How they're running and how they're passing.) I pray every day. (I'm praying right now) that Waldron is allowed to bring the full McVay experience to Seattle. The wide zone runs, the bootaction off of it, the jet sweeps, the utilization of the TEs, the tempo, the full pedal mentality, the scheming properly for opponents looking to attack weaknesses and avoid the opponents strengths.

On to the defense. They are still suspect as they played a lot of tomato cans down the stretch, and slowed it down on offense, so the defense could avoid playing in shootouts. But schematically they did improve on the backend with how they played their corners. (The super-duper off coverage went away.) And Dunlap gave them what they needed in terms of pass rush. So to me, they are in the question mark category. We'll just have to wait and see if it was a mirage next season. There is no way to determine where they are at definitively on defense based on the poor QBs and offenses they played.

:irishdrinkers: Keep on posting.