JS says minimum for Russ is (3) 1st round draft picks.

Forthewin

Reaction score
The professor was on the radio claiming JS said "Discussions don't start unless 3 1st are on the table". Also 1/3 of the NFL teams have called for Russ. However The Prof said Russ is going no where. Something about dead money.

The way teams give away 1st these days...you never know.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Read between the lines. Regardless he is nearing the end of his time here. I figure 1 more year then traded. Hopefully they do something with the draft capital.

pinksheets

Reaction score
When did he say this? In what context?

I'm calling Clayton's reporting into question here (or maybe he misspoke). This seems unlikely to have actually been said by Schneider to me.

If the Hawks are actually leaking starting bids, then Russ will be gone sooner than later.

seabowl

Reaction score
I saw another report that said Mike Silver said teams around the league BELIEVE that it would start at 3 first rounders. Big difference than Schneider saying it. Also stated the team gets the message that Russ wants protection. He'll we've been saying that for five years.

chris98251

Reaction score
3 first rounders to start the discussion, TO START, a team has to be desperate to go there, I would also add that is to even get a seat, final price is going to also be some other players and or draft picks.

This is the Rams and Bradford type situation where they traded the moon to have a chance to draft him.

The Panthers, Broncos, Dolphins may go there. At least to sit and see how this poker game gets put together, I would add there has to be a cash negotiation for the salary dump in Wilsons contract as well.

Then after all that Wilson has to be ok and may have his own demands about a contract if it is to be re negotiated to make a trade happen.

The Outlier and Joker in the deck possible late arrival at the game will be Dallas if Prescott slips through their fingers.

Remember, Wilson was JS's guy, he wanted him badly and I would expect being a Thompson / Wolfe disciple will not let a Franchise guy go like he does short CB's especially under contract for a few years yet.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The dead money is the biggest hurdle imo. I think it's something like a $32 million dollar cap hit. Having said that, if it does happen this off-season that means this team is doing a complete reset. With a lower cap and that kind of dead money hit there's no way to be aggressive in free agency and a lack of draft picks.

I don't think I am being too dramatic saying that trading Russ this off-season is the end of this era as we know it. Yes Pete and John are still here but it's pretty much starting over.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think 3 firsts is very generous..It's only going to go down
the longer it goes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That would be a holy crap quote even if he never said it on the record, just off record to someone that relayed it to Clayton.

3 1sts is garbage for a QB that literally is responsible for at least half our wins.

We paid near that for an effing safety. I love Adams but he isn't Russ.

What. The. H.

You don't trade for a bucket of 1sts because:

1 - we suck at picking 1sts

2 - whatever team you give Wilson to is going to suddenly be good enough at least one of your 1st is going to be the equivalent of a 2nd.

3 - If you force 3 1sts in a single draft, your chance of getting a big haul is low. At least 1 of those 1sts will be squandered.

pinksheets

Reaction score
seabowl":2phpsnyd said:
I saw another report that said Mike Silver said teams around the league BELIEVE that it would start at 3 first rounders. Big difference than Schneider saying it. Also stated the team gets the message that Russ wants protection. He'll we've been saying that for five years.
This sounds more plausible and less terrifying, too.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":uxnt0x33 said:
The dead money is the biggest hurdle imo. I think it's something like a $32 million dollar cap hit. Having said that, if it does happen this off-season that means this team is doing a complete reset. With a lower cap and that kind of dead money hit there's no way to be aggressive in free agency and a lack of draft picks.

I don't think I am being too dramatic saying that trading Russ this off-season is the end of this era as we know it. Yes Pete and John are still here but it's pretty much starting over.
The dead money can be managed by a redone/new contract
before the trade..
RW wants the trade?It will happen.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has made plenty of waves throughout the infancy of the 2021 offseason. So much so that roughly a third of the league has called the Seattle Seahawks to see what it may take to acquire the superstar quarterback via trade, according to Michael Silver of the NFL Network. While Seattle isn't outright shopping Wilson, teams are calling and Silver did characterize GM John Schneider as someone who "listens to anything and everything," insinuating that the club may not immediately hang up on those inquiring clubs. Seattle's potential willingness to listen to offers on Wilson is also something CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has noted previously.

At the end of the day, however, a deal of this magnitude comes down to the price. What would it actually take to land Wilson and would teams be willing to pay it? Silver reports that clubs around the league believe the conversation starts with three first-round draft picks. Again, that's possibly just the starting point to acquire the eight-time Pro Bowl quarterback. So far, it's unclear if any club is set to meet that mark, but, given Wilson's talent, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him fetch a pretty massive return for the Seahawks if they ultimately do decide to move on.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... er-report/

KinesProf

Reaction score
The title of this thread makes it sound like it is referring to a quote attributed to John Schneider. Sloppy.

chris98251

Reaction score
One last note, there are GM's out there that will do this trade if they feel it will make their career. Hershel Walker Trade comes to mind. They are few and far between but someone of Wilsons stature can make a GM and Owner do things outside the box.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Hawks2022":1muamc26 said:
The professor was on the radio claiming JS said "Discussions don't start unless 3 1st are on the table".

This is very interesting. In the past, I'm pretty John would have never even admitted that Wilson was available. The starting price of 3 - 1st rd picks is not surprising, it's affordable. Still surprised I just read that comment by Schneider.

knownone

Reaction score
Clayton is wrong. If Seattle wanted to trade Russ, they have ways to lower his dead cap hit.

I doubt a trade happens given that we are built to win now. However, if you do a bit of math, using the Khalil Mack trade as a baseline, the trade value for Russ would likely be three 1sts and two 2nds (present year value). You can then play around with this by assuming a quality starter is worth a 2nd, and an All-Pro, in their prime, is worth a 1st and a 2nd.

So far the most hilarious trade scenario, that I've seen, involves trading Russ to Miami for Tua, a 2022 1st round pick, the 3rd, 18th, 36th, and 50th picks. Then trading the 3rd pick and the 36th pick, to the Falcons, for the 4th pick and Matt Ryan. Presumably, from here, JS would then continue trading back until he's out of the first round entirely.

Reaction score
Then the starting point would be like trading RW for 3 Ifedis, Pennys, or Colliers. I'm sure any trade would involve picks that are higher than the 20s put the track record of 1st round picks isn't inspiring. Unless another star QB is involved, I can only see trading Russ as something that sets the franchise way back.

chris98251

Reaction score
nwHawk":1r8pp1uc said:
Hawks2022":1r8pp1uc said:
The professor was on the radio claiming JS said "Discussions don't start unless 3 1st are on the table".

This is very interesting. In the past, I'm pretty John would have never even admitted that Wilson was available. The starting price of 3 - 1st rd picks is not surprising, it's affordable. Still surprised I just read that comment by Schneider.

This is close to the Sherman situation a few years back. JS says everyone is available remember, just doesn't include what the price would be.

seabowl

Reaction score
As Ted Dibiase says, everyone has a price. Every player can be gotten for enough compensation.

As much as I love Russ if the team wants to run run run then they don't need a magician at qb. For me though I'd rather have Russ throwing more but a trade would be 4 firsts and a very good starter.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Another day, yet more fake speculation. Anyone can come out and say that it would take 3 first round picks. That's not some huge revelation. Just typical throw something out there, and people get worked up.