Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Jamal Adams mistake (IMO)

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
The Jamal Adams mistake (IMO)
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:52 am
  • Look, I really like the guy as a person. He brings fire and is a good teammate. And he is a great football player and athlete. But he is not going to be worth how much we will need to pay him next year. So if we do we will either really screw ourselves with the salary cap by making him the highest paid safety in football, or we let him walk and that means we wasted all that draft capitol. I was excited when we traded for him but in hindsight I think it's a mistake. Like I said I like the guy, but he is a DB who doesn't do a lot in coverage. The Seahawks need better pass coverage. I believe JS and PC messed up on this one. Especially if Russ wants a better line, we can't be overpaying a SS. We hurt ourselves with that trade and it's very unlikely he is here beyond next year. I'd say trade him now like they were talking about doing after 1 season. Although I don't think that's happening either. Oh well.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Re: The Jamal Adams mistake (IMO)
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:17 am
  • It's hard to find All Pro players in the draft even when you are drafting early. Adams is a generational talent and will continue to create havoc in the opposing teams backfields for years. I predict as well he will surprise us as well with his abilities in coverage which I suspect will improve significantly in his 2nd season in the defence and with a return to health following his several surgeries (hand and hip) post season.

For sure it was a big price to pay to get him (2-1sts and 1-3rd) but his play certainly helped the team early, he made some key game saving tackles to , besides his record number of sacks. He's a player that has to schemed to protect against by opposing O's. To me he's worth paying and keeping as true difference maker. He is young and on the last year of a rookie contract for this season and will undoubtedly be a player the team will want to keep.

I guess we disagree about the player but I am 1000% with you on the real need to improve the OLine at LG and C and there needs to be some succession plan to replace Brown as well.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:18 am
  • If he doesn't do much in coverage then it will have been a mistake. However, the Seahawks traded for him because they thought he could cover, and the coverage plays he is getting dinged for last season were mostly when he was playing through some serious injuries.

Some are also uncomfortable with what they see as gimmicky sacks coming from a blitzing safety. Sacks are valuable wherever they come from, and a third down sack from a blitz is just as good as an interception in the secondary.

Lastly, remember that we traded for Jamal at the end of July and he had to figure things out in the regular season due to lack of practice due to COVID. He will have infinitely more experience with the scheme entering game 1 this season than he did last season.

I don't have a problem with skepticism here but 2020 was just a weird season to be putting too much emphasis on.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:19 am
  • Welshers wrote:Look, I really like the guy as a person. He brings fire and is a good teammate. And he is a great football player and athlete. But he is not going to be worth how much we will need to pay him next year. So if we do we will either really screw ourselves with the salary cap by making him the highest paid safety in football, or we let him walk and that means we wasted all that draft capitol. I was excited when we traded for him but in hindsight I think it's a mistake. Like I said I like the guy, but he is a DB who doesn't do a lot in coverage. The Seahawks need better pass coverage. I believe JS and PC messed up on this one. Especially if Russ wants a better line, we can't be overpaying a SS. We hurt ourselves with that trade and it's very unlikely he is here beyond next year. I'd say trade him now like they were talking about doing after 1 season. Although I don't think that's happening either. Oh well.

Agree 100%. Hated the trade then, hate it now.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 am
  • There are multiple things going on here.

First of all, CoVID made all 2021 draft picks essentially worthless. The draft is a crapshoot, add the CoVID disruptions to multiple levels of college football and the draft becomes a crapshoot with loaded dice.

Second of all Adams is not really a safety. He is a linebacker, in the modern spread offense NFL. KJ Wright and Jamal Adams play the same position conceptually in the defense. I have a feeling KJ will walk this off-season which means the 2021 Seahawks will have Adams, Brooks, Wager as the linebackers with Neal and Diggs as the safeties. More NFL teams are running three safety sets as a base defense and Adams will be that box safety/outside linebacker.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:It's hard to find All Pro players in the draft even when you are drafting early. Adams is a generational talent and will continue to create havoc in the opposing teams backfields for years. I predict as well he will surprise us as well with his abilities in coverage which i suspect will improve significantly in his 2nd season in the defence and with a return to health following his several surgeries post season.

For sure it was a big price to pay to get him (2-1sts and 1 -3rd) but his play certainly helped the team early, he made some key game saving tackles to , besides his record number of sacks. He's a player that has to schemed to protect against by opposing O's. To me he's worth paying and keeping as true difference maker. He is young and on the last year of a rookie contract for this season and will undoubtedly be a player the team will want to keep.

I guess we disagree about the player but I am 1000% with you on the real need to improve the OLine at LG and C and there needs to be some succession plan to replace Brown as well.

I agree he's great. I think money is just the biggest issue. Is he good enough to dominate a good portion of our cap? Improving the line is going to be so hard with no money. That's what's scary.
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 am
  • The TV deals will help clarify the cap situation and I can't believe the league and players will allow this claw back of cap to continue for long before there is a revolt and or a hard fight over the situation. we all hope there will soon be a return to some form of new normal where fans can go to games again but time alone will provide that answer.

At present the team is paying a very large % of it's cap on the LBs and this will need to be revisited in order to re-assign the cap to the OLine. It's a balancing act. Adams if not a true SS is a WOLB with extraordinary blitzing ability. Adams is a rover type SS (hybrid type player). As the QBs become more mobile he becomes an answer to the problem of defending mobile QBs. His blitzing skills are special and very valuable.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:CoVID made all 2021 draft picks essentially worthless

The Seahawks could've gotten a stud RB like Najee Harris, Travis Etienne or Javonte Williams with that pick. Have no idea what other positions look like though.

Giving up a 1st+1st+3rd+$18M APY for a Safety or whatever you want to call him :141847_bnono:
    Last edited by massari on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:00 pm
  • Imo he was brought in as a piece to what they thought was going to be a super bowl run last year. If they won the trophy it would of been worth it, but they failed. So now your stuck with a gimmick guy who sucks in coverage with a real lack of draft capital as a result. So you either commit long term or he walks. Obviously it wasn't Adams fault the seahawks choked as the holes in other areas were the bigger issue as well as coaching and relying on bad draft picks.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 pm
  • I think "sucks in coverage" is a gross exaggeration.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:19 pm
  • massari wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:CoVID made all 2021 draft picks essentially worthless

The Seahawks could've gotten a stud RB like Najee Harris, Travis Etienne or Javonte Williams with that pick. Have no idea what other positions look like though.

Giving up a 1st+1st+3rd+$18M APY for a Safety :141847_bnono:

The draft is April 29th, we have no idea who they could pick. Remember that Sony Michel and Penny were drafted before Nick Chubb.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:25 pm
  • 10+ sacks with missing four games? You'd pay a DE 15M+ for that kind of production.

So no, I don't think the trade was a mistake. This defense DESPERATELY needed a playmaker like Adams to get the intimidation and sack production factor back.

Now am I nervous as hell that he's already breaking down, and we're about to hand him 50M+ when he might miss a bunch of games every year through this contract with injuries?

Absolutely. But IMO we don't have a choice. You gave up two first rounders, you have to sign him. Trading him for a far less package deal isn't an option for me.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:26 pm
  • If they were gonna use the first rounders on running backs, I'd trade 10 of them for Jamal Adams.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:26 pm
  • what Largent said...….so much...….
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:32 pm
  • If the Hawks miss the playoffs the next 2 or 3 seasons , his trade deal and probable blockbuster extension will be a big reason why . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:36 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:If they were gonna use the first rounders on running backs, I'd trade 10 of them for Jamal Adams.

That would be one 1st round pick, but what about next years 1st and the 3rd? What about the $18M APY to bring in an elite free agent?

You need cheap young talent to compete with a salary cap.
    Last edited by massari on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:37 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:10+ sacks with missing four games? You'd pay a DE 15M+ for that kind of production.

So no, I don't think the trade was a mistake. This defense DESPERATELY needed a playmaker like Adams to get the intimidation and sack production factor back.

Now am I nervous as hell that he's already breaking down, and we're about to hand him 50M+ when he might miss a bunch of games every year through this contract with injuries?

Absolutely. But IMO we don't have a choice. You gave up two first rounders, you have to sign him. Trading him for a far less package deal isn't an option for me.

Here is his injury history, last year was tough for him and yet he set a record for sacks by a S and was a disruptive force despite having some significant injuries that interfered with catching a football and tackling though that wasn't noticeably a weakness.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/playe ... adams/9508

I don't know if he is breaking down due to injuries but the team will see on that front this coming season.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:10+ sacks with missing four games? You'd pay a DE 15M+ for that kind of production.

Here is his injury history, last year was tough for him and yet he set a record for sacks by a S and was a disruptive force despite having some significant injuries that interfered with catching a football and tackling though that wasn't noticeably a weakness.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/playe ... adams/9508

I don't know if he is breaking down due to injuries but the team will see on that front this coming season.

I hope the recent injuries are a fluke, but having watched Adams all year, I don't think so.

He plays like Kam played, balls out, nasty hitter, full speed and reckless. Which is awesome, but it's not awesome when it comes to hurting yourself.

Maybe Adams can be coached up to be smarter about how he protects himself. We'll see. Glad he's a Hawk, amazing generational safety. But doesn't stop the worrying about the way he plays and injuries this year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:If they were gonna use the first rounders on running backs, I'd trade 10 of them for Jamal Adams.

Ok, that got a :laugh:

Tough to say, but regardless it is sunk cost. We're basically stuck with him for at least one more year. The really "sucky" part of it is having him play his contract season in 2021, with a decreased salary cap and a really weird year anyway. He's gonna be asking for and getting (from somewhere) a ton of money. Nobody values safeties more than Pete, so his chances of hanging around are pretty good IMO.

Arguably, as said above somewhat incorrectly, Adams is a bit of a hybrid safety/rush LB, who might be the best in-the-box safety in the league. A little soft, perhaps, in his coverage skills but a heat seeking missile for QBs and RBs. He has the general look of a Polamalu type, who may free lance a bit, but when he guesses right he is the ultimate disrupter.

I think we have to bite the bullet a bit and keep him.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:43 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:10+ sacks with missing four games? You'd pay a DE 15M+ for that kind of production.

Blitzing a Safety has huge consequence, and how many of his sacks were unblocked?

Marquise Blair, if healthy can blitz too.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:If they were gonna use the first rounders on running backs, I'd trade 10 of them for Jamal Adams.

Ok, that got a :laugh:.

massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:52 pm
  • massari wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:If they were gonna use the first rounders on running backs, I'd trade 10 of them for Jamal Adams.

Ok, that got a :laugh:.

Overvaluing running backs is a notable boomerism, though.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:53 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:There are multiple things going on here.

First of all, CoVID made all 2021 draft picks essentially worthless. The draft is a crapshoot, add the CoVID disruptions to multiple levels of college football and the draft becomes a crapshoot with loaded dice.

Second of all Adams is not really a safety. He is a linebacker, in the modern spread offense NFL. KJ Wright and Jamal Adams play the same position conceptually in the defense. I have a feeling KJ will walk this off-season which means the 2021 Seahawks will have Adams, Brooks, Wager as the linebackers with Neal and Diggs as the safeties. More NFL teams are running three safety sets as a base defense and Adams will be that box safety/outside linebacker.

Don’t forget Blair! FS Amadi SS Adams Slot Blair. Slot replaces the SAM, the SAM replaces the Run stuffing DE as the 3rd down pass rushing DE = Bruce Irvin. If you try to play Adam’s as a pass rusher vs a blitzer he’s going to get hurt going up against the bigger players.

Blair & Adams on the field at the same time is scary for offenses, they will destroy Offenses!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:54 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:10+ sacks with missing four games? You'd pay a DE 15M+ for that kind of production.

Blitzing a Safety has huge consequence, and how many of his sacks were unblocked?

Lots of guys have the potential to be good blitzers, but until they prove it for years that's all it is, talk.

It's why guy like Adams get traded for two first rounders and break the bank come contract time, and other guys don't. Production.

If Blair comes back and proves he can be a star on this defense? I'm all ear. But until then? Nope.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Overvaluing running backs is a notable boomerism, though.

Overvaluing RB = taking in the late 1st early 2nd?

massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 pm
  • They need to trade him. He will be constantly hurt and won't play through it once he gets paid. Made multiple "business decisions" when in the hole with the back throughout the season.

He can't cover, teams exploited this over and over. Seattle had to blitz him 10 times a game to find an effective role for him. Even then only got home 10% of the time. Leaving the defense in a coverage deficit 90% of the time. He doesn't fit the scheme, classic square peg, round hole.

He needs to be in an exotic scheme, preferably a 3-4. The Seahawks are a vanilla, fundamentally sound defense. Adams compromises that.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:16 pm
  • massari wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Overvaluing running backs is a notable boomerism, though.

Overvaluing RB = taking in the late 1st early 2nd?

In the context of "I regret the Jamal Adams trade because it robbed Seattle of the chance to draft a running back with their highest pick," yeah. Even the great backs really don't provide much value over the replacement-level average back compared to other positions. Not just that, but the good ones come from all over the draft board.

It's fine to want draft capital back, but for running backs? Why?
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:00 pm
  • Fade wrote:They need to trade him. He will be constantly hurt and won't play through it once he gets paid. Made multiple "business decisions" when in the hole with the back throughout the season.

He can't cover, teams exploited this over and over. Seattle had to blitz him 10 times a game to find an effective role for him. Even then only got home 10% of the time. Leaving the defense in a coverage deficit 90% of the time. He doesn't fit the scheme, classic square peg, round hole.

He needs to be in an exotic scheme, preferably a 3-4. The Seahawks are a vanilla, fundamentally sound defense. Adams compromises that.

You could be right! The new rules will pretty much force Adams to play this year without a new deal but waiting is going to cost Seattle more $$. Don’t forget if Seattle caves to Adams they will have to cave for DK.
    Seattle should evaluate Adams during camp if he’s as bad as you say he is they could trade him before the season starts at a similar value they paid for him.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    massari wrote:

Lots of guys have the potential to be good blitzers, but until they prove it for years that's all it is, talk.

It's why guy like Adams get traded for two first rounders and break the bank come contract time, and other guys don't. Production.

If Blair comes back and proves he can be a star on this defense? I'm all ear. But until then? Nope.

I disagree the “glass is half full” lots to be excited about with Blair 4.48 40 yard, hits like truck, had 11 combined tackles week 8 in 2019, beat out Ugo Amadi for Slot never ever playing a down at slot. Blair has the talent & qualities to be a star in the NFL.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:10 pm
  • Fade wrote:They need to trade him. He will be constantly hurt and won't play through it once he gets paid. Made multiple "business decisions" when in the hole with the back throughout the season.

You might be right, but IMO it's too soon to give up on Adams.

We couldn't get anywhere close to what we gave up for him. Last year of his deal AND two off season surgeries? So what, maybe a 2nd and conditional?

I'd rather work on figuring out how to best use him within our schemes then give up and have nothing in return, including the player for nowhere near what we gave up.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:49 pm
  • This trade is a mistake, 100 percent. You don't give up two firsts for a safety, end of story. It felt like a desperation trade to me. Jamal Adams also has a specific skillset. He's essentially another linebacker on the field. He's not great in coverage and got really exploited there. When we rush him we're taking somebody out of coverage as well. He also has a history of injuries and we're still don't have a long term solution at pass rusher.

The 2020 offseason was a real mess.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:This trade is a mistake, 100 percent. You don't give up two firsts for a safety, end of story. It felt like a desperation trade to me. Jamal Adams also has a specific skillset. He's essentially another linebacker on the field. He's not great in coverage and got really exploited there. When we rush him we're taking somebody out of coverage as well. He also has a history of injuries and we're still don't have a long term solution at pass rusher.

I get what your saying but I’m not convinced what your saying is true because Adams was hurt last year. We drafted 2 DE’s last year we have no choice but to give them a chance.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:29 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:This trade is a mistake, 100 percent. You don't give up two firsts for a safety, end of story. It felt like a desperation trade to me. Jamal Adams also has a specific skillset. He's essentially another linebacker on the field. He's not great in coverage and got really exploited there. When we rush him we're taking somebody out of coverage as well. He also has a history of injuries and we're still don't have a long term solution at pass rusher.

I get what your saying but I’m not convinced what your saying is true because Adams was hurt last year. We drafted 2 DE’s last year we have no choice but to give them a chance.

Yes, he was hurt but it was in his upper body. That doesn't affect where you position yourself in coverage. As for the DE's, we drafted a guy in the late round, how often do those work out? The other guy was a calculated risk that may never pan out. We got him so low in the draft because he had an injury that he may never fully recover from. Greene and Collier are JAGs, players that you can just about replace with anyone and not see a huge difference. Carlos Dunlap is a stop gap that we lucked upon mid season.

We have no real long term solution at pass rusher and haven't for years now. A pass rush is mandatory for fielding a good defense and we have nothing but a bunch of stop gaps, no concrete solutions. Despite this we traded for an inbox safety that is going to demand a lot of money. See where I'm going? The move didn't make much sense to me. Sure, from a short term prospective it improves the team, but the long term prognosis, especially after a large contract doesn't make much sense.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:37 pm
  • It was too much for a safety but im not sure im having buyers regret. He was awesome last year and clearly the best defensive player we have. he is only 25.

I rather cut ties w/ Reed 13million. Also try to get restructure Wagner 18million which he wont, so trade him.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:50 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:This trade is a mistake, 100 percent. You don't give up two firsts for a safety, end of story. It felt like a desperation trade to me. Jamal Adams also has a specific skillset. He's essentially another linebacker on the field. He's not great in coverage and got really exploited there. When we rush him we're taking somebody out of coverage as well. He also has a history of injuries and we're still don't have a long term solution at pass rusher.

Yes, he was hurt but it was in his upper body. That doesn't affect where you position yourself in coverage. As for the DE's, we drafted a guy in the late round, how often do those work out? The other guy was a calculated risk that may never pan out. We got him so low in the draft because he had an injury that he may never fully recover from. Greene and Collier are JAGs, players that you can just about replace with anyone and not see a huge difference. Carlos Dunlap is a stop gap that we lucked upon mid season.

We have no real long term solution at pass rusher and haven't for years now. A pass rush is mandatory for fielding a good defense and we have nothing but a bunch of stop gaps, no concrete solutions. Despite this we traded for an inbox safety that is going to demand a lot of money. See where I'm going? The move didn't make much sense to me. Sure, from a short term prospective it improves the team, but the long term prognosis, especially after a large contract doesn't make much sense.

Again I need another season before I can agree with your popular conclusion & old conclusions.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:50 pm
  • rcaido wrote:It was too much for a safety but im not sure im having buyers regret. He was awesome last year and clearly the best defensive player we have. he is only 25.

I rather cut ties w/ Reed 13million. Also try to get restructure Wagner 18million which he wont, so trade him.

If we don't want to pay Wagner the almost 40M he's owed over the next two years, then what makes you think another team would not only want to pay him, but also give up high picks?

Bobby can be mad that we're asking him to renegotiate, but that's how this goes. He's played very well, but not 18M and 21M well. So he should be expecting the phone call from John about re-doing his deal.

Just like every other vet at the end of a deal. Reed should expect that call, Dunlap should expect that call, Duane Brown should expect that call.

If Wagner thinks he can make more as a free agent after refusing? Then more power to him. I don't see it, but he might.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    rcaido wrote:It was too much for a safety but im not sure im having buyers regret. He was awesome last year and clearly the best defensive player we have. he is only 25.

If we don't want to pay Wagner the almost 40M he's owed over the next two years, then what makes you think another team would not only want to pay him, but also give up high picks?

Bobby can be mad that we're asking him to renegotiate, but that's how this goes. He's played very well, but not 18M and 21M well. So he should be expecting the phone call from John about re-doing his deal.

Just like every other vet at the end of a deal. Reed should expect that call, Dunlap should expect that call, Duane Brown should expect that call.

If Wagner thinks he can make more as a free agent after refusing? Then more power to him. I don't see it, but he might.

Seattle started preparing for Wagner’s departure when they drafted Barton doesn’t mean it will happen because Wagner has played high caliber football worth 18 million in my opinion. With Brooks on track to replace Wagner full time in 2022 this might be the time to trade him if they get the right price which should be a round 1 for Seattle. You may not believe Wagner is worth more than a round 1 but that doesn’t matter because Seattle probably does.

This draft should have good WILL prospects if that’s the case I think it will motivate Seattle to trade Wagner to Raiders for a round 1 pick & resign KJ Wright since KJ can teach all 3 LB positions.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:37 pm
  • Adams camp is sure he will draw top $$ somewhere . They have no worries .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:31 pm
  • Welshers wrote:Look, I really like the guy as a person. He brings fire and is a good teammate. And he is a great football player and athlete. But he is not going to be worth how much we will need to pay him next year. So if we do we will either really screw ourselves with the salary cap by making him the highest paid safety in football, or we let him walk and that means we wasted all that draft capitol. I was excited when we traded for him but in hindsight I think it's a mistake. Like I said I like the guy, but he is a DB who doesn't do a lot in coverage. The Seahawks need better pass coverage. I believe JS and PC messed up on this one. Especially if Russ wants a better line, we can't be overpaying a SS. We hurt ourselves with that trade and it's very unlikely he is here beyond next year. I'd say trade him now like they were talking about doing after 1 season. Although I don't think that's happening either. Oh well.

IMO he's worth more then Bobby. Cut Bobby and Adams gets paid I think he's going to be the Defensive leader he carries the emotion in the game. As far as the pass coverage I'm kinda leaning toward the short middle of the field coverage the LB coverage although KJ did decent.
    onepicknick1
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:33 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    rcaido wrote:It was too much for a safety but im not sure im having buyers regret. He was awesome last year and clearly the best defensive player we have. he is only 25.

Seattle started preparing for Wagner’s departure when they drafted Barton doesn’t mean it will happen because Wagner has played high caliber football worth 18 million in my opinion. With Brooks on track to replace Wagner full time in 2022 this might be the time to trade him if they get the right price which should be a round 1 for Seattle. You may not believe Wagner is worth more than a round 1 but that doesn’t matter because Seattle probably does.

This draft should have good WILL prospects if that’s the case I think it will motivate Seattle to trade Wagner to Raiders for a round 1 pick & resign KJ Wright since KJ can teach all 3 LB positions.

I guess I should of scrolled down good analysis.
    onepicknick1
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:47 pm
  • Ok so if he is listed as ss, but plays mostly down by the line and disrupts, then who cares what his title is if he produces. Stop looking at specific positional titles vs what a player can actual do. Specially when we have other safeties who can ball. He is Sacks!!! I dont care what you call him. Gatorade bottle filler or towel boy. He ain't going anywhere. Plus he is more than sacks. He is backfield pressure consistently. Whether running plays or pass. I gurantee he is top of the league in negative plays and behind the line of scrimmage. He was worth more first rounders and then some. Ss, lb, de doesnt matter.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:11 am
  • jamescasey1124 wrote:Ok so if he is listed as ss, but plays mostly down by the line and disrupts, then who cares what his title is if he produces. Stop looking at specific positional titles vs what a player can actual do. Specially when we have other safeties who can ball. He is Sacks!!! I dont care what you call him. Gatorade bottle filler or towel boy. He ain't going anywhere. Plus he is more than sacks. He is backfield pressure consistently. Whether running plays or pass. I gurantee he is top of the league in negative plays and behind the line of scrimmage. He was worth more first rounders and then some. Ss, lb, de doesnt matter.

Yeah we should bring back Etric Pruitt, Cary Williams and then one of these.

The man needs to be given a chance to show what a healthy Adams can do in our system and understanding the position role more, our defense was thrown together on the run and they were trying to pick what they could up as they could. Adams even said something referencing that.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:In the context of "I regret the Jamal Adams trade because it robbed Seattle of the chance to draft a running back with their highest pick," yeah. Even the great backs really don't provide much value over the replacement-level average back compared to other positions. Not just that, but the good ones come from all over the draft board.

It's fine to want draft capital back, but for running backs? Why?

Lol you're talking as if I want a RB with every pick, then use the $18M APY on more RBs.

RBs were only brought up in response to someone saying "all 2021 draft picks are essentially worthless", because like I mentioned, those top RBs are literally all I know about the draft, and they're very good, not worthless.

If there's a good OL/DL/CB prospect available, then yeah, pick him instead of one of those top RBs.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 am
  • I still like him as a player. Smart and an alpha personality and talent. He's never been a ball hawk. But I think for what he does, he does it at a high level.

His skillset really is unique. I kind of wish we'd add pieces around him to make him have a greater impact. If Seattle can manage to add Alim McNeill and go with a truer hybrid defense -- Adams could really elevate that kind of lineup.

Adams' play recognition, speed and ability to eliminate YAC has significant value.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:32 am
  • Not a mistake at all. Matter of opinion.
    He's a game changer, and one of the best players in football. You don't let those guys go. And he isn't going anywhere. Seems like on dot net, every player that makes good money...…….trade him!
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:57 am
  • Some stats:

Adams blitzed 98 times in 12 games, had 9.5 sacks. So about 90 times he was taken out of coverage without a sack.

He got to the QB untouched/unblocked all but 2 times, when he beat a TE against the Bills, and a RB against the Giants.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 am
  • massari wrote:Some stats:

Adams blitzed 98 times in 12 games, had 9.5 sacks. So about 90 times he was taken out of coverage without a sack.

He got to the QB untouched/unblocked all but 2 times, when he beat a TE against the Bills, and a RB against the Giants.

Personally, I think the Seahawks should go into next season and never blitz, because every time you blitz and don't get home you take people out of coverage. If we don't blitz all season long, we will leave more people in coverage and our defense will be much improved. :2thumbs:
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:00 pm
  • massari wrote:Some stats:

I'm confused on what your going for here. Are you pointing out he should have more sacks with chances or that he was taken out of coverage assignments specifically? Either way...he is still top of the league in tackles for loss and taking him out of coverage would mean they just let him blitz freely and no one else covers his assignment in coverage. Which isnt true. If he blitzes someone assumes his zone or man.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 pm
  • misfit wrote:
    massari wrote:Some stats:

Personally, I think the Seahawks should go into next season and never blitz, because every time you blitz and don't get home you take people out of coverage. If we don't blitz all season long, we will leave more people in coverage and our defense will be much improved. :2thumbs:

Had to manufacture pressure somehow with the front-4 not consistently getting home. The team adapted a 3-4 philosophy with 4-3 under personnel groupings to do so. Taking the blitz entirely off the table probably isn't a good idea - it's good to have different looks. Seattle blitzes killed Jimmy G this past season.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information