Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyler Lockett

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Tyler Lockett
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:29 pm
  • No Respect !
    Bleacher Report just came out with NFL's top 7 receivers. DK is #6. Tyler did not even make honorable mention nor anykind of mention?
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Re: Tyler Lockett
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:34 pm
  • Well, I agree with Bleacher Report.

And that's no disrespect to Tyler. He's a top 15 receiver, but he's just not in the upper tier.
    DK, on the other hand, is on the cusp of being the league's best receiver and has the potential to be one of the GOAT to ever play the position and a first ballot hall of famer.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:57 pm
  • Tyler is a reliable receiver who can make catches that few other people can make (tiptoe in the corner of the end zone....). He is also not typically a game breaking threat. He'll catch a ball and then go down before contact, all the time. His yards after catch numbers are not even average. He is not a receiver that opposing teams absolutely must gameplan around. DK is.
    Torc
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:48 pm
  • I've never seen a ball bounce off Lockett's hands or facemask. Like never. He's not perfect. But TL generally catches the ball when it matters.

I don't think bleacher report watches Seahawks games.
    Palmegranite
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:53 pm
  • Palmegranite wrote:I've never seen a ball bounce off Lockett's hands or facemask. Like never. He's not perfect. But TL generally catches the ball when it matters.

I don't think bleacher report watches Seahawks games.

I think you're confusing "better" with "more reliable"

Lockett has never been looked at as a true #1(though is one of the best #2s in the league I'd say, and does not dictate coverage as DK does
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:18 pm
  • Bleacher report is trash. Tyler is the better reciever. No one cares about him and that's the problem. That is why he is easily able to go out and produce some of the best plays. He does not dictate coverage which is fine. He will continue to find holes and be russ' go to when he needs. Dk is great. But until he stops dropping balls he wont be top tier. All anybody looks at is speed. Which is ridiculous. You have to catch the ball first. We saw on a few plays how he can break away. Cool. You guys quickly forget that tyler did that too. He was our deep threat before he blew out his knee on that deep catch against the Steelers or eagles. Cant remember, but he got rolled on. Either way...tyler is very capable. Dont care what anyone deems as #1 or #2. He is the #1. Reason why they made sure to get him 100 catches this year.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:49 pm
  • Tyler is a better receiver than Metcalf, but Metcalf makes more splash plays. Splash plays get the hype, but the guys that always deliver are the ones that win games.

Tyler is our Torry Holt, while Metcalf is Isaac Bruce.
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:46 pm
  • This reminds me of a "there is no wrong answer" quiz question.
    Both Lockett and DK are better with the other than alone because their individual skillsets are complimentary to each other. They are a team.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 pm
  • Tyler isn't top 7. He's damn good, but not top 7.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:01 pm
  • Tyler is the Bobby Engram of this team. He has the most reliable hands on the core and doesn't get the respect he deserves.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:03 pm
  • DK has a chance to be truly great if he continues to work hard, stay hungry, strive to be the best, and keeps his ego in check and doesn't turn into Terrell Owens. And he's got to eliminate the drops!

Tyler on the other hand is a much more complete receiver today than DK, and can run any route in the route tree. He is as dependable as the sun rising in the east. Has great hands and feet, and incredible body control. And he goes about his job with class. No primadonna or showboating when it comes to Tyler, and I respect that about him.

TL is currently my favorite Seahawk, but if I'm being objective, unfortunately I can't put him in the top 10. But he's damn close.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:20 pm
  • There are 31 teams that would sign him tomorrow if they could . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:25 pm
  • My point wasn't that TL is better than DK or any of the top 7. It was that at least TL would get a mention as an also ran or a mention in the text like TY Hilton did for example.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:42 pm
  • I'm going to say something unpopular, I think Tyler Lockett is grossly overrated around here. Lockett is a very good receiver, don't go me wrong but he is not a top 10 type of receiver. He isn't a receiver that teams fear nor is he a guy teams have to shift their coverage over to contain. He's a good route runner, with good hands -- he is a possession receiver. Very much so a Bobby Engram sort of player and you know what? That is alright. He doesn't have to be a mega threat.

DK Metcalf is 100 percent a better receiver. He isn't as polished as Lockett, nor is he as reliable, but there is something you all should have noticed last season. Teams were shifting their coverage towards his side, accounting for him on every snap and keeping eyes on him. I've never seen teams game plan for Lockett in the same way and that should tell you something. His drops are frustrating, yes but he absolutely makes it easier for every player on the Seahawks to operate. He has the ability to take a short yardage pass in turn it into a big gain. He has the ability to punish a CB for even the slightest misstep and take it to the house. Metcalf made fools out of some of the best CBs in the business in one on one coverage situations.

Lockett also tends to disappear for long stretches of time and get banged up. Lockett is a good receiver, and he is quite possibly the best number 2 in the game. That being said he isn't a top 10 receiver. He's a negative asset when it comes to YAC, he isn't necessarily great at the jump ball, and he tends to disappear at times. Lockett is a great route runner with good hands. He is a possession receiver that moves the chains. He's really good at what he does, but he's not a player that demands the same sort of micromanaging from defenses that DK does.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:43 pm
  • Tyler Lockett was a borderline top 3 receiver in 2018. He had an 81% catch rate on relatively deep routes - 17 yards per reception and nearly 14 yards per target. His volume wasn't that high but his efficiency was outstanding.

However, the last two seasons Tyler has been more of a solid #2 receiver. Part of that could be change in adding DK to the mix, but Lockett was the 68th receiver last season in yards per target (8.0) and 39th in catch rate at 75%. However, the big issue with him the last couple of years is that in going to the ground to secure those catches he has contributed very little afterwards. In 2020 he was #130th in terms of YAC per reception, even after slow targets like Jimmy Graham (#112), and Larry Fitzgerald (#127).

Any argument about Lockett currently being a top 20 receiver would have to rely on 2018 with him as the primary target and claim that the last two years have been less representative with him in the shadow of another elite WR.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 pm
  • Yeah he's not even close to top 7 but still really good. I'd probably put him in that 20 range.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:11 pm
  • I like Tyler’s skill set but he doesn’t get YAC and can’t get the extra yard when needed. We knew that given his size/weight coming in. He’s a nice receiver with limitations.
    12th Dimension
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:33 pm
  • Tyler suffers from perception. He doesnt look the part, doesnt act the part of a big time receiver so he gets overlooked a lot. It is what it is. At least the Seahawks recognize what they have in him, and thats what matters.
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:30 am
  • 12th Dimension wrote:I like Tyler’s skill set but he doesn’t get YAC and can’t get the extra yard when needed. We knew that given his size/weight coming in. He’s a nice receiver with limitations.

See I think he can. He was a hell of a punt returner when he came in. The problem is he makes no attempt. Like none. I can see running, then getting down if contact is imminent. But he drops to the ground immediately after making the catch most of the time. It's very frustrating.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 am
  • Who actually cares what bleacher report says? That site is trash, and always has been since it was started. You may as well get your sports "news" from your local bartender.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:12 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    12th Dimension wrote:I like Tyler’s skill set but he doesn’t get YAC and can’t get the extra yard when needed. We knew that given his size/weight coming in. He’s a nice receiver with limitations.

See I think he can. He was a hell of a punt returner when he came in. The problem is he makes no attempt. Like none. I can see running, then getting down if contact is imminent. But he drops to the ground immediately after making the catch most of the time. It's very frustrating.

Given his injuries, one wonders if he's coached to make the catch and if a tackle is imminent, go down.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:24 am
  • He was the #65 player in the entire NFL 100 according to the players - so certainly a top receiver.

Not top 7? Well consider how many targets he even gets and how effective he is once targeted.

I doubt many WRs, maybe Diggs, can get the kind of results Lockett gets for us.

I am just going to leave this here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrHuG2LfXg&t=662s

Pretty much explains how effective Lockett is.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:04 pm
  • There are definitely 7, if not more receivers I'd take before Lockett if they are available.
    5thgen
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:03 am
  • Not counting our own DK, here’s the receivers I would take over Lockett:

Chris Godwin
    Terry McLaurin
    Justin Jefferson
    Deebo Samuel
    Deandre Hopkins
    Tyreek Hill
    Davante Adams
    Amari Cooper
    Cooper Kupp
    Michael Thomas
    Odell Beckham Jr
    Julio Jones
    Allen Robinson
    Stefon Diggs
    Last edited by TheLegendOfBoom on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:I'm going to say something unpopular, I think Tyler Lockett is grossly overrated around here. Lockett is a very good receiver, don't go me wrong but he is not a top 10 type of receiver. He isn't a receiver that teams fear nor is he a guy teams have to shift their coverage over to contain. He's a good route runner, with good hands -- he is a possession receiver. Very much so a Bobby Engram sort of player and you know what? That is alright. He doesn't have to be a mega threat.

DK Metcalf is 100 percent a better receiver. He isn't as polished as Lockett, nor is he as reliable, but there is something you all should have noticed last season. Teams were shifting their coverage towards his side, accounting for him on every snap and keeping eyes on him. I've never seen teams game plan for Lockett in the same way and that should tell you something. His drops are frustrating, yes but he absolutely makes it easier for every player on the Seahawks to operate. He has the ability to take a short yardage pass in turn it into a big gain. He has the ability to punish a CB for even the slightest misstep and take it to the house. Metcalf made fools out of some of the best CBs in the business in one on one coverage situations.

Lockett also tends to disappear for long stretches of time and get banged up. Lockett is a good receiver, and he is quite possibly the best number 2 in the game. That being said he isn't a top 10 receiver. He's a negative asset when it comes to YAC, he isn't necessarily great at the jump ball, and he tends to disappear at times. Lockett is a great route runner with good hands. He is a possession receiver that moves the chains. He's really good at what he does, but he's not a player that demands the same sort of micromanaging from defenses that DK does.

Truth, right here! Couldn’t agree more.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:46 pm
  • The type of receiver a grader values the most ........ tends to show up at the top of their list.

That's more of a reflection of the grader than the player.

There is a huge difference between impact receivers and clutch or procession receivers. Many seem to flip out over towering physical receivers early on in their careers. While, it is common to struggle with appreciating other types of receivers. Having a mix of receiver types on the same team is a big advantage. It provides opportunities to exploit favorable week to week match ups.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:21 pm
  • Jville wrote:Having a mix of receiver types on the same team is a big advantage. It provides opportunities to exploit favorable week to week match ups.

While this is optimal the problem of course is that there's only so much money to go around. If Metcalf continues to develop and appears worth a top dollar extension then we left in the unenviable position of realizing that no team can afford a top paid QB and two top paid WRs.

Russ had a $35.0m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $32m.
    Tyler had a $13.7m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $15m.
    DK had a $17.4m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $1.3m.

They are three of our best players but that doesn't look possible to manage in 2022 and Tyler is on expiring contract so if he has trade value that's a prudent move to make now.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:
    Jville wrote:Having a mix of receiver types on the same team is a big advantage. It provides opportunities to exploit favorable week to week match ups.

While this is optimal the problem of course is that there's only so much money to go around. If Metcalf continues to develop and appears worth a top dollar extension then we left in the unenviable position of realizing that no team can afford a top paid QB and two top paid WRs.

Russ had a $35.0m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $32m.
    Tyler had a $13.7m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $15m.
    DK had a $17.4m OTC valuation last season and his cap hit this next year is $1.3m.

They are three of our best players but that doesn't look possible to manage in 2022 and Tyler is on expiring contract so if he has trade value that's a prudent move to make now.

I don't see the pressing need to trade any of the three in 2021. Doing so would only create a self inflicted hole in the offensive roster. There are already questions to be addressed at running back, tight end and the balance of the receiver corp. Given that this is the final year of Tyler Lockett's current contract, carving out some 2021 cap space thru a Lockett contract extension is a possibility.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:27 pm
  • The Seahawks do need to do something with Lockett. Extend him multiple years, and lower his 2021 cap number, or trade him. Renting him for 1 year and letting him walk after this year is not a sound football decision.

I am in the extend camp, but the Seahawks internally have more info on his medical and how they feel he will hold up in future years. Trading him to JAX would fetch some mighty fine draft capitol if they wanted to go down that road.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:42 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Tyler is the Bobby Engram of this team. He has the most reliable hands on the core and doesn't get the respect he deserves.

You are exactly right Cyrus, he is a Bobby Engram clone, but all some folks see is the FLASHY and DK undoubtedly has that in spades. :shock:
    I'm hoping that DK will become more clutch as he gathers more experience & tricks of the trade...He reeks with confidence, but Engram..er I mean Lockett by far, has the softer hands. :vodka:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Tyler is the Bobby Engram of this team. He has the most reliable hands on the core and doesn't get the respect he deserves.

You are exactly right Cyrus, he is a Bobby Engram clone, but all some folks see is the FLASHY and DK undoubtedly has that in spades. :shock:
    I'm hoping that DK will become more clutch as he gathers more experience & tricks of the trade...He reeks with confidence, but Engram..er I mean Lockett by far, has the softer hands. :vodka:

Doesn't make Lockett the better receiver whatsoever. He's good, but saying he's better than DK overall is borderline slanderous.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:07 pm
  • Tyler is lowkey washed.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:35 am
  • 100 catches is washed? Hopefully he continues to be just as washed in 2021 :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:09 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Tyler is lowkey washed.

I do have a little sneaky suspicion that he isn't getting the separation that he used to. But I don't have the All-22 or enough analytics at my disposal to look into that.

If anyone who does wants to dive into that, I think it would be really interesting to see. Because I've got to imagine that some part of our passing game sputtering was our guys lot getting open.
    SwissCheese77
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:33 pm
  • I do think Lockett lost something since that injury, it's obvious, but DK Metcalf is not the better overall receiver right now.

If I'm in a situation where the Seahawks need a first down, I'm looking to Tyler before DK. Simple as that and I think anyone ranking a receiver on that basis puts Tyler first.

That said, DK has far more potential going forward than Tyler. So I mean, if this is a 'forward looking' type list, then DK Metcalf is who you go with. If it's a list of 'who's going to get you a first down TODAY?' it's Lockett.
    DarkVictory23
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 pm
  • Tyler didn't lose anything other then Targets and the type of routes he was assigned to run, Splash plays is part of what Pete likes, DK was getting more attempts at splash plays.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:00 pm
  • DarkVictory23 wrote:I do think Lockett lost something since that injury, it's obvious, but DK Metcalf is not the better overall receiver right now.

If I'm in a situation where the Seahawks need a first down, I'm looking to Tyler before DK. Simple as that and I think anyone ranking a receiver on that basis puts Tyler first.

That said, DK has far more potential going forward than Tyler. So I mean, if this is a 'forward looking' type list, then DK Metcalf is who you go with. If it's a list of 'who's going to get you a first down TODAY?' it's Lockett.

If catch rate were the end-all-be-all for wide receivers, sure. But Metcalf last year put up a season that Lockett hasn't sniffed in his career. Metcalf is bigger, faster, and more explosive, and it shows.

It isn't a competition. DK is easily the better receiver of the two.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:58 am
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:21 pm
  • Yeah as he is in the top 15. But maybe if Wilson threw him the ball more, that could change a bit.
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:45 pm
  • In 2020, only kicker Jason Myers put more points on the board than Tyler Lockett.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:35 pm
  • SwissCheese77 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Tyler is lowkey washed.

I do have a little sneaky suspicion that he isn't getting the separation that he used to. But I don't have the All-22 or enough analytics at my disposal to look into that.

If anyone who does wants to dive into that, I think it would be really interesting to see. Because I've got to imagine that some part of our passing game sputtering was our guys lot getting open.

The tape I saw of him this year is almost laughably bad. He spends most if the game in 2nd gear. Kinda jogs routes. There's no way you can scheme to get him the ball at this point. He's not going to get open. He just kind of jogs around, waiting for the play to break down and then he finds open grass in scramble drill.

There's some routes he knows he can win, still mostly crossers, but I think there are a lot of routes he knows Russell will never throw, so he just doesn't bother anymore. He waits for Russ to break script and then finds green. And it works pretty well, but an offense can't sustain like that. I want zero part of an extension. I'm not sure he can run a 4.8 anymore. Like him a lot, bought my kid his jersey, but his tape isn't promising.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:25 pm
  • I don't recall too many games, if any, that DK and Lockett both excelled in the same game. It was an either or ... Never both.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:20 pm
  • toffee wrote:I don't recall too many games, if any, that DK and Lockett both excelled in the same game. It was an either or ... Never both.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

so last year 2020 they had

3 game were they weer both over 50 yards
    1 with both over 90
    1 with both over 100

2019 they had
    5 both over 50
    1 both over 100
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm
  • Wow, just stopped by to see if it continues. Yep, it sure does. :mrgreen:
    Now people are complaining about a receiver with 100 catches, who has the 2nd most yards per target in the entire league since 2018. We have two VERY good Receivers. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.......
    Now to get a solid #3
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:34 pm
  • Unless you are playing a lousy defense the Seahawks are trying to build a offense thats a pick your poison, stop the run we have a passing game, take away DK we have Tyler or a TE, stop the pass we run.

Ideally that is the offense, BUT we try to force things for some reason, we can be successful doing something and we go away from it and then in desperation in the 4th will go back to it, drives me nuts, I have always been of the mind keep doing it till they stop you, then be smart enough to figure out what they gave up to stop you and exploit that aspect.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:50 pm
  • We are about to see an OC who actually schemes players open (at least he comes from a system that does).

DCs have been laughing at the Schotty O. How great RW, Carson, Lockett and DK are was the only thing saving the Offense.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:29 pm
  • Jville wrote:Image

Enough said, TL is a better team mate than DK because he never disappoints and he catches the ball.

Who is in the HOF? the guys who catch everything thrown their way. DK is a long way from that, and frankly could never reach that place. Lockett in my book is top dawg in the homeless....I mean Emerald City.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:56 pm
  • jeremiah wrote:
    Jville wrote:Image

Enough said, TL is a better team mate than DK because he never disappoints and he catches the ball.

Who is in the HOF? the guys who catch everything thrown their way. DK is a long way from that, and frankly could never reach that place. Lockett in my book is top dawg in the homeless....I mean Emerald City.

DK has a better catch rate than Megatron.

People are overthinking this. DK is easily the better receiver. Not the better catcher, but the better receiver.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:01 am
  • People are also forgetting that Jerry Rice, very likely the best we have ever seen, began his career with a lot of dropped passes. To the level that he almost got benched and got boo's from the "faithful"
    Look it up, it happened. And he turned out just fine. DK has made up for whatever drops he has had pretty much every time.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:33 pm
  • To me.....DK comes off as a prima donna receiver. I do not care if Jerry Rice dropped passes!! I care if DK drops passes!! Let us hope that he can increase his concentration this year. Some of last years drops might have cost us the game......just my opinion. :rumble:
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Next

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information