Tyler Lockett

TreeRon

Reaction score
No Respect !
Bleacher Report just came out with NFL's top 7 receivers. DK is #6. Tyler did not even make honorable mention nor anykind of mention?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well, I agree with Bleacher Report.

And that's no disrespect to Tyler. He's a top 15 receiver, but he's just not in the upper tier.
DK, on the other hand, is on the cusp of being the league's best receiver and has the potential to be one of the GOAT to ever play the position and a first ballot hall of famer.

Torc

Reaction score
Tyler is a reliable receiver who can make catches that few other people can make (tiptoe in the corner of the end zone....). He is also not typically a game breaking threat. He'll catch a ball and then go down before contact, all the time. His yards after catch numbers are not even average. He is not a receiver that opposing teams absolutely must gameplan around. DK is.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I've never seen a ball bounce off Lockett's hands or facemask. Like never. He's not perfect. But TL generally catches the ball when it matters.

I don't think bleacher report watches Seahawks games.

misfit

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1yu6yiwv said:
I've never seen a ball bounce off Lockett's hands or facemask. Like never. He's not perfect. But TL generally catches the ball when it matters.

I don't think bleacher report watches Seahawks games.
I think you're confusing "better" with "more reliable"

Lockett has never been looked at as a true #1(though is one of the best #2s in the league I'd say, and does not dictate coverage as DK does

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Bleacher report is trash. Tyler is the better reciever. No one cares about him and that's the problem. That is why he is easily able to go out and produce some of the best plays. He does not dictate coverage which is fine. He will continue to find holes and be russ' go to when he needs. Dk is great. But until he stops dropping balls he wont be top tier. All anybody looks at is speed. Which is ridiculous. You have to catch the ball first. We saw on a few plays how he can break away. Cool. You guys quickly forget that tyler did that too. He was our deep threat before he blew out his knee on that deep catch against the Steelers or eagles. Cant remember, but he got rolled on. Either way...tyler is very capable. Dont care what anyone deems as #1 or #2. He is the #1. Reason why they made sure to get him 100 catches this year.

Own The West

Reaction score
Tyler is a better receiver than Metcalf, but Metcalf makes more splash plays. Splash plays get the hype, but the guys that always deliver are the ones that win games.

Tyler is our Torry Holt, while Metcalf is Isaac Bruce.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Tyler is the Bobby Engram of this team. He has the most reliable hands on the core and doesn't get the respect he deserves.

TraderGary

Reaction score
DK has a chance to be truly great if he continues to work hard, stay hungry, strive to be the best, and keeps his ego in check and doesn't turn into Terrell Owens. And he's got to eliminate the drops!

Tyler on the other hand is a much more complete receiver today than DK, and can run any route in the route tree. He is as dependable as the sun rising in the east. Has great hands and feet, and incredible body control. And he goes about his job with class. No primadonna or showboating when it comes to Tyler, and I respect that about him.

TL is currently my favorite Seahawk, but if I'm being objective, unfortunately I can't put him in the top 10. But he's damn close.

xray

Reaction score
There are 31 teams that would sign him tomorrow if they could . IMO

OP
OP
TreeRon

TreeRon

Reaction score
My point wasn't that TL is better than DK or any of the top 7. It was that at least TL would get a mention as an also ran or a mention in the text like TY Hilton did for example.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm going to say something unpopular, I think Tyler Lockett is grossly overrated around here. Lockett is a very good receiver, don't go me wrong but he is not a top 10 type of receiver. He isn't a receiver that teams fear nor is he a guy teams have to shift their coverage over to contain. He's a good route runner, with good hands -- he is a possession receiver. Very much so a Bobby Engram sort of player and you know what? That is alright. He doesn't have to be a mega threat.

DK Metcalf is 100 percent a better receiver. He isn't as polished as Lockett, nor is he as reliable, but there is something you all should have noticed last season. Teams were shifting their coverage towards his side, accounting for him on every snap and keeping eyes on him. I've never seen teams game plan for Lockett in the same way and that should tell you something. His drops are frustrating, yes but he absolutely makes it easier for every player on the Seahawks to operate. He has the ability to take a short yardage pass in turn it into a big gain. He has the ability to punish a CB for even the slightest misstep and take it to the house. Metcalf made fools out of some of the best CBs in the business in one on one coverage situations.

Lockett also tends to disappear for long stretches of time and get banged up. Lockett is a good receiver, and he is quite possibly the best number 2 in the game. That being said he isn't a top 10 receiver. He's a negative asset when it comes to YAC, he isn't necessarily great at the jump ball, and he tends to disappear at times. Lockett is a great route runner with good hands. He is a possession receiver that moves the chains. He's really good at what he does, but he's not a player that demands the same sort of micromanaging from defenses that DK does.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Tyler Lockett was a borderline top 3 receiver in 2018. He had an 81% catch rate on relatively deep routes - 17 yards per reception and nearly 14 yards per target. His volume wasn't that high but his efficiency was outstanding.

However, the last two seasons Tyler has been more of a solid #2 receiver. Part of that could be change in adding DK to the mix, but Lockett was the 68th receiver last season in yards per target (8.0) and 39th in catch rate at 75%. However, the big issue with him the last couple of years is that in going to the ground to secure those catches he has contributed very little afterwards. In 2020 he was #130th in terms of YAC per reception, even after slow targets like Jimmy Graham (#112), and Larry Fitzgerald (#127).

Any argument about Lockett currently being a top 20 receiver would have to rely on 2018 with him as the primary target and claim that the last two years have been less representative with him in the shadow of another elite WR.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah he's not even close to top 7 but still really good. I'd probably put him in that 20 range.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
I like Tyler’s skill set but he doesn’t get YAC and can’t get the extra yard when needed. We knew that given his size/weight coming in. He’s a nice receiver with limitations.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Tyler suffers from perception. He doesnt look the part, doesnt act the part of a big time receiver so he gets overlooked a lot. It is what it is. At least the Seahawks recognize what they have in him, and thats what matters.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
12th Dimension":34x2c31b said:
I like Tyler’s skill set but he doesn’t get YAC and can’t get the extra yard when needed. We knew that given his size/weight coming in. He’s a nice receiver with limitations.

See I think he can. He was a hell of a punt returner when he came in. The problem is he makes no attempt. Like none. I can see running, then getting down if contact is imminent. But he drops to the ground immediately after making the catch most of the time. It's very frustrating.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Who actually cares what bleacher report says? That site is trash, and always has been since it was started. You may as well get your sports "news" from your local bartender.