Should we draft a QB this year?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I doubt RW goes anywhere this year but maybe next. Do we grab a 4th/5th round QB for that possibility? Yes we have more holes on the team than a wheel of Swiss cheese but we can plan ahead.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":19acb39v said:
I doubt RW goes anywhere this year but maybe next. Do we grab a 4th/5th round QB for that possibility? Yes we have more holes on the team than a wheel of Swiss cheese but we can plan ahead.
I’m more in favor of take every pick Seattle has this year and apply it improving the team now.

Not next year. Not two years from now. Now!

If Russell leaves after this year then so be it.

Bring on a journey man QB and play him a few years until you can secure a high draft first rounder then draft (if possible).

It seems like a separation of Wilson is inevitable since I don’t think Jody Allen and her Vulcan Sports team have any interest in removing Carroll.

It would require much more work for them to replace Carroll than replace Wilson.

If it comes down to it, I’m sad to say, I think Carroll will stay over Wilson.

More Pete ball until Carroll calls it quits himself.

Oh, well, at least we have one Super Bowl.

More disappointing seasons to come!

12th Dimension

Reaction score
I hope JS doesn’t force it, but if one of his guy’s is there like Mahomes , Allen, or Russ then I hope he goes all in. He’s good at identifying elite QB’s but they just don’t come along every year. No reason to force it.

Hopefully Russ is here long term but having a succession plan, or just a plan B, is probably prudent in the not too distant future.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
No because Russ is playing till he's 45 at least..Said so himself.
We should extend him now to make it happen.
No need to draft anything but more OL for Russ...So he can cook.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hard to waste a pick on a QB when you only have 4 picks. Just sayin’.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Feleipe Franks is an intriguing prospect that could be available as a late round pick or even a UDFA.

6'5" 230 with a great arm and questionable mechanics, Franks has improved steadily and reportedly impressed scouts recently at the Senior Bowl. He was largely self taught until college and so he seems like a good developmental candidate to have around for a couple of seasons.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2per8oho said:
Hard to waste a pick on a QB when you only have 4 picks. Just sayin’.

I think our backs are against the wall IMHO. I have all the respect in the world for Wilson, but realistically unless he is willing to take a pay cut to build both the defense and o-line, along with few picks this year and contention behind the scenes with our QB and management . Perhaps the writing is on the wall to rebuild now, find the next Wilson and cut our losses. So I say draft away.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If one presents amazing value... like, if Kyle Trask or Trey Lance falls to the fourth round, or something. Sure. These picks statistically have a fairly low chance of netting you a difference maker anyway and can be replaced with any available replacement-level player.

It shouldn't be a target whatsoever. If Russ leaves, a late round developmental guy likely does absolutely zero for you, and spending a premium pick on one this year would be absolute lunacy.

ducks41468

Reaction score
With 4 picks, if you're drafting a QB with one of the earlier picks rather than using it to improve the team in the near term, you better expect that QB to be good from day 1, because that's one more thing that will push Russ out the door.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Nah. You want to waste a pick on something we already have? The draft is for filling holes and improving those holes. If you are strong everywhere then depth, but the seahawks need help. Oline and CB. Not a qb. We have one. He ain't going anywhere.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2y5mofbj said:
Nah. You want to waste a pick on something we already have? The draft is for filling holes and improving those holes. If you are strong everywhere then depth, but the seahawks need help. Oline and CB. Not a qb. We have one. He ain't going anywhere.

The draft isn't just for filling holes. It's for adding talent. Drafting primarily for need, especially outside of the first, is a recipe for failure.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Not if we have relatively the same draft capital we have now.

If we trade Russ, Wagner, and others to start a rebuild and collect a bunch of picks, sure, but if you plan on moving forward with Russ, don't waste some of the very little room we have to improve the roster.

If Russ goes, we're going into the ditch anyways, and a 4th round QB is unlikely to change that - at least not anymore than some journeyman FA signing.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":xn9dp5m1 said:
jamescasey1124":xn9dp5m1 said:

The draft isn't just for filling holes. It's for adding talent. Drafting primarily for need, especially outside of the first, is a recipe for failure.

So "need" in your words is different from holes? Ok.

And no it's not a recipe for failure. You go by what analyst tell you. I go by what I see on the field. If we dont address the pass blocking issue or get better cover corners then you will wish they drafted by need.

chris98251

Reaction score
We already have him McGough is on the Practice squad, they are grooming him, in fact I heard he got a Pedicure at the end of the season.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":208f8te3 said:
Maelstrom787":208f8te3 said:
jamescasey1124":208f8te3 said:

And no it's not a recipe for failure. You go by what analyst tell you. I go by what I see on the field. If we dont address the pass blocking issue or get better cover corners then you will wish they drafted by need.

No. You've fundamentally misunderstood the post. Read it again. Need isn't different from "holes," that's the exact opposite of what I was saying. Honestly, it's pretty impressive that you were able to twist the post that badly.

Also, in what way is saying that drafting based on pure talent rather than need an analyst viewpoint? Have you ever watched the draft? Analysts more frequently take the opposite viewpoint, which is why there's a dedicated over-simplified "Team Needs" tracker for casual viewers.

If you're drafting outside of the first round out of NEED instead of going with the most talented players left on the board, your needs probably aren't getting filled. Good teams aren't drafting positions, they're drafting players.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
God no.

Yes, it is ideal to draft a QB that is undervalued, develop him, and then flip him for draft picks a year or two later.

1 - There is no evidence this staff can develop QBs. Wilson is a unicorn. I doubt anyone 'developed' him. Our other QB choices have veered from nonsensical to nobody cares. I don't want us spending scarce draft picks on a QB when we need picks to contribute immediately. We cannot afford to invest in QBs for the future.

2 - No QB we draft will be adequate. The idea we can replace Wilson is laughable. If we lose Wilson, we have a lot of key players aging and leaving shortly anyway. The solution would be to burn it all to the ground. Total rebuild, have one Philly 76ers season to be in a position to spend a top draft pick on a great QB in a year or two.

3 - We need the few draft picks we have to matter. There will be a lot of shots in the dark. Many misses. See #1. We cannot waste scarce draft picks on players that cannot contribute immediately.

We have Wilson for likely 1 more year, 2 if we are optimistic. Those are years we need to bring in players that help onfield accomplishments. There is no incentive to draft for the future because there is no future.

Pete will be too old shortly. Wilson will be gone. Bobby will start losing effectiveness and we are going to shed some higher-priced FAs.

We going to have to go into the cellar to recover. The only issue is when and for how long. But if we can delay it while Wilson is here that is ideal.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The idea of drafting a QB first might not be so absurd if Wilson truly wants out of Seattle. If Wilson does indeed leave after next season, then at least draft someone who has some talent and let him learn from Wilson.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3vtk0jay said:
jamescasey1124":3vtk0jay said:
Maelstrom787":3vtk0jay said:
jamescasey1124":3vtk0jay said:

No. You've fundamentally misunderstood the post. Read it again. Need isn't different from "holes," that's the exact opposite of what I was saying. Honestly, it's pretty impressive that you were able to twist the post that badly.

Also, in what way is saying that drafting based on pure talent rather than need an analyst viewpoint? Have you ever watched the draft? Analysts more frequently take the opposite viewpoint, which is why there's a dedicated over-simplified "Team Needs" tracker for casual viewers.

If you're drafting outside of the first round out of NEED instead of going with the most talented players left on the board, your needs probably aren't getting filled. Good teams aren't drafting positions, they're drafting players.

Ok so they have duane brown and they draft a left tackle for instance. Which wont happen. That would be taking talent solely as eventual role player...yes. which would be a bad example because it still fills an eventual need. Name me a player they drafted lately who didnt fill a need? Need is first. Talent within the need is priority. Even the backups they draft are because they need depth. Need. Need. Need. I gurantee you we wont draft a qb because it's not a need. They may look undrafted for a backup to take Smith's spot.

Yeah let me draft talent first so I can end up with with a bunch of people who wont see the field because they players invested will just allow them to walk in starting day one?

The team Needs better corners, o line and possibly dline. Could be depth. Could be starters. They are all filling possible slots.

Now if a team had ballers at every position...then yes you are then drafting by only talent. Will never happen.
Russ was a need. Wags was a need. Thomas, chancellor, wright, sherman all needs. Otherwise we would have drafted the said talented players earlier.