Prototyping post Wilson QB

toffee

Reaction score
Let's assume Russ will be traded this off season, which is looking increasingly likely. What would be the ideal next QB?

A game manager in a run heavy offense?
A west coast type, short medium passes?
A mobile QB?
A pocket passer?
We definitely will suck next season as this offense was built around Russ's unique talent and skill set. But moving forward, with lots of picks, what should we look forward to?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
toffee":2tx8jhlh said:
Let's assume Russ will be traded this off season, which is looking increasingly likely. What would be the ideal next QB?

A mobile QB?
A pocket passer?
We definitely will suck next season as this offense was built around Russ's unique talent and skill set. But moving forward, with lots of picks, what should we look forward to?

The offense was never built around Wilson's talent and skill sets. Our offense is the same thing that it has been since 2010. Remember when Matt Hasselbeck was shoehorned into the same role as Russell Wilson? Remember when we ignored a lot of the short routes, and timing passes that Matt Hasselbeck lived and died on as a Seahawk and forced him to attack downfield? Is it any coincidence that Matt Hasselbeck had arguably one of his worst years as a pro in that system?

This is the problem with Pete Carroll, he approaches things the same way, regardless of what his teams strengths and weaknesses are.

If Wilson is traded I assume that Pete is going to control the offense more now that he doesn't have a 100 million dollar QB he has to appease. I think we're going to see a run heavy attack, with deep passes to the sidelines. A lot of 7 step drops, and deep crossing routes. I expect a 60/40 run, pass ratio -- something very similar to what you saw in Wilson's rookie year.

As for the QB we end up with -- impossible to know. In this theoretical post Wilson world, we don't know who we're going to end up with. I think as part of the compensation we're going ask for a QB of some sorts. If we're going by the teams Wilson listed, that could be anyone of these guys: Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Nick Foles, and Taysom Hill. There are also a few free agents listed that we may look to.

If Wilson is dealt before the FA (unlikely), there are several QB's that I think Carroll will look at, hell I this QB may even end up being signed as a contingency/backup. The QB i'm talking about is Blake Bortles. He just strikes me as a Pete Carroll sort of player. First of all he has spent a year in the LAR's system as a backup. He has a pretty good deep ball and arm, and while not the fastest player in the world, he isn't immobile. I could see Blake Bortles being signed a backup for the Seahawks, if not a potential starter. Now, I heard he did violate team rules with COVID, that is generally a no, no with Carroll. All I'm saying is it would be surprising to me in the least if he ended up a Seahawk.

Tyrod Taylor is the other QB that strikes me. He's a QB that doesn't turn over the ball, is mobile and has an okay deep ball. In fact, if we're going to free agency route -- this is the guy I would most expect to be a Seahawk. He is a toe the line guy, and in all reports is a phenomenal team player. He oozes Pete Carroll type of QB to me and quite honestly he wouldn't be the worst QB to roll with. He really fits the role of "point guard" QB.

Fitzpatrick also has to be on this list. If we're talking FA QB's we've got to mention this guy. He is the free agent QB everyone knows and loves. Some games he looks like the next incarnation of Peyton Manning, and other games he looks like Rex Grossman. You never know what you're going to get with Fitzpatrick. He's a roll of the dice every game. He is the type of QB that can absolutely dominate a game, or throw a game. What I do know is he is tough as nails and he has a good deep ball.

Now, what does Carroll usually look for in a QB? Well, I know he spent quite a bit of time scouting Josh Allen. So much so that Wilson's agent reached out to Carroll. Pete also took a long look at Mahommes. He seems to really value QB's that have cannons and are athletic. Granted, even though Allen isn't on Wilson and Mahommes level of mobility, he can get out of his own way. Charlie Whitehurst is a QB we spent quite a bit of money for, he had the measurables but not the football skills. Wilson, even though he was short he was known for being extremely mobile and having a decent arm in college. We did go out and sign Flynn, but only because it was our best option, he didn't fit any of these molds. That being said, based on our scouting and drafting history, we really like QB's with big arms and at least a modicum of mobility.

xray

Reaction score
IMO Any starting caliber QB in the NFL can play in a run first and often offence , such as what PC seem to mandate .
I don't think that Wilson will be replaced by a FA . If he leaves he will be replaced via some blockbuster trade deal where the Hawks get a QB swap like Carr or Watson . This is of course is a big IF .

Jerhawk

Reaction score
-Good to strong arm
-Able to read a defense pre snap
-Able to executive a handoff
-Mobile enough to make the read option a threat
-Able to get sacked 50 times a season and like it

James in PA

Reaction score
I don’t have faith that we’ll ever have an elite O Line. So, we need a QB who trusts what he sees and can get rid of the ball quickly with NO HESITATION. A QB who will take the underneath stuff all day long if that’s the only thing the opposing D is giving him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Doesn't matter who we get. We will become the 2020 New England Patriots. Coach that's good enough to keep us out of a top 5 pick but not good enough to make the playoffs with a journeyman QB.

We would be relying on Schneider catching lightening in a bottle twice and finding a superstar QB a lot later in the draft than most superstars typically go.

It will be a dreary time again as a Seahawk fan, if you ask me with most of us tuned out by November.

And as a STH, with Wilson as QB I can sell my extra tickets for face value or more. With Pete Carroll and a JAG QB, I can barely give them away. So my view of trading Russell is that the most likely outcome is a bad team and a fired coach and GM in a year's time.

And then goodness knows how long until Seattle re-emerges as a playoff contender. But hope springs eternal this time of year and fans always think the grass is greener somewhere else.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll's entire ability to win in the NFL is predicated on having Wilson.

Russ struggles behind this line, what do you think a less mobile QB will do?

When we do that ridiculous run-first run-often offense, how many possessions are going to turn into punts because we keep putting our QB in 3rd and longs?

There is no effective post-Wilson QB plan.

Carroll believes he is the reason for the winning, not Wilson. He thinks he has a plan. And he does, but it doesn't match his personnel and unless we get 3 HOF in their prime on the team again that plan is going to erupt in flames.

The best plan after Wilson is going to be burn it all down. Sh-can Carroll and thank him for the amazing SB. Then run him out of town for losing the best thing to happen to this team in Seahawk history.

Here is the 'plan' without Wilson:

Pete will do his best Ty Willingham impression and keep this team treading water. We will bounce around a little bit below and a little bit above .500. But there is no future. Just an endless sea of not that great to mediocrity as a ceiling.

(Maybe with Norton, we will be worse than I am thinking but I think Pete can keep us treading water.)

Unless we can get someone like Watson to replace Wilson, we are utterly screwed.

Without Wilson, Pete is a barely capable HC. His only saving grace will be he will still pluck some good raw talent out of nowhere. But there is little upside here as he careens into senility while taking this team down with him.

Betting on Pete instead of Wilson is hilariously stupid. But it looks like the team is doing that. They deserve what they get then.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2mfngc4q said:
toffee":2mfngc4q said:

A mobile QB?
A pocket passer?

The offense was never built around Wilson's talent and skill sets. Our offense is the same thing that it has been since 2010. Remember when Matt Hasselbeck was shoehorned into the same role as Russell Wilson? Remember when we ignored a lot of the short routes, and timing passes that Matt Hasselbeck lived and died on as a Seahawk and forced him to attack downfield? Is it any coincidence that Matt Hasselbeck had arguably one of his worst years as a pro in that system?

This is the problem with Pete Carroll, he approaches things the same way, regardless of what his teams strengths and weaknesses are.

If Wilson is traded I assume that Pete is going to control the offense more now that he doesn't have a 100 million dollar QB he has to appease. I think we're going to see a run heavy attack, with deep passes to the sidelines. A lot of 7 step drops, and deep crossing routes. I expect a 60/40 run, pass ratio -- something very similar to what you saw in Wilson's rookie year.

As for the QB we end up with -- impossible to know. In this theoretical post Wilson world, we don't know who we're going to end up with. I think as part of the compensation we're going ask for a QB of some sorts. If we're going by the teams Wilson listed, that could be anyone of these guys: Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Nick Foles, and Taysom Hill. There are also a few free agents listed that we may look to.

If Wilson is dealt before the FA (unlikely), there are several QB's that I think Carroll will look at, hell I this QB may even end up being signed as a contingency/backup. The QB i'm talking about is Blake Bortles. He just strikes me as a Pete Carroll sort of player. First of all he has spent a year in the LAR's system as a backup. He has a pretty good deep ball and arm, and while not the fastest player in the world, he isn't immobile. I could see Blake Bortles being signed a backup for the Seahawks, if not a potential starter. Now, I heard he did violate team rules with COVID, that is generally a no, no with Carroll. All I'm saying is it would be surprising to me in the least if he ended up a Seahawk.

Tyrod Taylor is the other QB that strikes me. He's a QB that doesn't turn over the ball, is mobile and has an okay deep ball. In fact, if we're going to free agency route -- this is the guy I would most expect to be a Seahawk. He is a toe the line guy, and in all reports is a phenomenal team player. He oozes Pete Carroll type of QB to me and quite honestly he wouldn't be the worst QB to roll with. He really fits the role of "point guard" QB.

Fitzpatrick also has to be on this list. If we're talking FA QB's we've got to mention this guy. He is the free agent QB everyone knows and loves. Some games he looks like the next incarnation of Peyton Manning, and other games he looks like Rex Grossman. You never know what you're going to get with Fitzpatrick. He's a roll of the dice every game. He is the type of QB that can absolutely dominate a game, or throw a game. What I do know is he is tough as nails and he has a good deep ball.

Now, what does Carroll usually look for in a QB? Well, I know he spent quite a bit of time scouting Josh Allen. So much so that Wilson's agent reached out to Carroll. Pete also took a long look at Mahommes. He seems to really value QB's that have cannons and are athletic. Granted, even though Allen isn't on Wilson and Mahommes level of mobility, he can get out of his own way. Charlie Whitehurst is a QB we spent quite a bit of money for, he had the measurables but not the football skills. Wilson, even though he was short he was known for being extremely mobile and having a decent arm in college. We did go out and sign Flynn, but only because it was our best option, he didn't fit any of these molds. That being said, based on our scouting and drafting history, we really like QB's with big arms and at least a modicum of mobility.
IF we end up with 'Blake Bortles' and revert back to the Pre Wilson offense?, he will likely wind up 'Broke Bottles'

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":1vh8ldra said:
Let's assume Russ will be traded this off season, which is looking increasingly likely.

You guys keep saying this, but Wilson's 39M dead cap hit says otherwise.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3leel4a9 said:
toffee":3leel4a9 said:

A mobile QB?
A pocket passer?

Really exceptional, post, Spin Doctor!

I agree.

Carroll is most likely looking at a big arm QB and athletic/somewhat athletic.

In Carroll’s system, if all else remains good besides the QB (let’s call him a decent QB, not top tier) Seattle can win 8 games that’s with a good run game and good defense.

Winning 8 games isn’t where you want to be to get a top 3 pick to line yourself up to get a top QB.

Carroll will likely follow in Wilson’s path and draft his next QB in round 2-3.

This QB will be “not ready” among analyst and have “flaws” like Wilson, can’t run such and such system, too small, etc.

But Carroll will likely target not an established proven college QB where he has won Championships but a QB that is just athletic and has a big arm but not proven. He’ll then play Pete ball with him.

knownone

Reaction score
Pete and John tend to value arm strength, mobility, and toughness. There are not many limitations on what Pete’s prototypical QB would look like. I think Pete finds a way to win with any QB so long as they have talent.

John63

Reaction score
xray":3owspji8 said:
IMO Any starting caliber QB in the NFL can play in a run first and often offence , such as what PC seem to mandate .
I don't think that Wilson will be replaced by a FA . If he leaves he will be replaced via some blockbuster trade deal where the Hawks get a QB swap like Carr or Watson . This is of course is a big IF .

I don't agree at all not any QB there are things that PC needs from is QB not any Qb can do. Remember PC said the off script plays are part of what they do. Not any QB can do that. In addition, PC systems needs a Qb that can perform magic in the 4th qtr not every Qb can do that either.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2pgbb6c7 said:
toffee":2pgbb6c7 said:

A mobile QB?
A pocket passer?

Great post spot on

John63

Reaction score
James in PA":30bv5shk said:
I don’t have faith that we’ll ever have an elite O Line. So, we need a QB who trusts what he sees and can get rid of the ball quickly with NO HESITATION. A QB who will take the underneath stuff all day long if that’s the only thing the opposing D is giving him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And can do that knowing PC hates the underneath and knowing that TOs will get him in the dog house so if they are not wide open don't throw it. And deal with a coach in his ear saying no turn overs, no short passes, no changing the plays etc etc. And a coach who will not care what he has to say at all.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":275kchw1 said:
Doesn't matter who we get. We will become the 2020 New England Patriots. Coach that's good enough to keep us out of a top 5 pick but not good enough to make the playoffs with a journeyman QB.

We would be relying on Schneider catching lightening in a bottle twice and finding a superstar QB a lot later in the draft than most superstars typically go.

It will be a dreary time again as a Seahawk fan, if you ask me with most of us tuned out by November.

And as a STH, with Wilson as QB I can sell my extra tickets for face value or more. With Pete Carroll and a JAG QB, I can barely give them away. So my view of trading Russell is that the most likely outcome is a bad team and a fired coach and GM in a year's time.

And then goodness knows how long until Seattle re-emerges as a playoff contender. But hope springs eternal this time of year and fans always think the grass is greener somewhere else.

YUP thast it.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ppf11ixs said:
Carroll's entire ability to win in the NFL is predicated on having Wilson.

Russ struggles behind this line, what do you think a less mobile QB will do?

When we do that ridiculous run-first run-often offense, how many possessions are going to turn into punts because we keep putting our QB in 3rd and longs?

There is no effective post-Wilson QB plan.

Carroll believes he is the reason for the winning, not Wilson. He thinks he has a plan. And he does, but it doesn't match his personnel and unless we get 3 HOF in their prime on the team again that plan is going to erupt in flames.

The best plan after Wilson is going to be burn it all down. Sh-can Carroll and thank him for the amazing SB. Then run him out of town for losing the best thing to happen to this team in Seahawk history.

Here is the 'plan' without Wilson:

Pete will do his best Ty Willingham impression and keep this team treading water. We will bounce around a little bit below and a little bit above .500. But there is no future. Just an endless sea of not that great to mediocrity as a ceiling.

(Maybe with Norton, we will be worse than I am thinking but I think Pete can keep us treading water.)

Unless we can get someone like Watson to replace Wilson, we are utterly screwed.

Without Wilson, Pete is a barely capable HC. His only saving grace will be he will still pluck some good raw talent out of nowhere. But there is little upside here as he careens into senility while taking this team down with him.

Betting on Pete instead of Wilson is hilariously stupid. But it looks like the team is doing that. They deserve what they get then.

Both QBs before Wilson avg 40+ sacks a season. its not Wilson

Here it is PC has 3 more yeas I think. If we trade Wilson he will have as his last 3 years 3 years of loosing seasons, players revolting, and he will destroy whatever legacy he thinks he has, and everyone will know it was not him that did it. He was not a 500 coach before Wilson and will not be after Wilson. Unless eh gets lucky and hits lightning in a bottle again at least till he pushes that QB out of town. Let's remember his NFL record without Wilson is sub 500, with Wilson well over 600

John63

Reaction score
knownone":mrvx0hss said:
Pete and John tend to value arm strength, mobility, and toughness. There are not many limitations on what Pete’s prototypical QB would look like. I think Pete finds a way to win with any QB so long as they have talent.

sub 500 record in NFL without Wilson, well over 600 with Wilson, Not just any QB will work. Not in the NFC West

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":apdh628u said:
knownone":apdh628u said:

sub 500 record in NFL without Wilson, well over 600 with Wilson, Not just any QB will work. Not in the NFC West

Again, I give this less than a 5% chance of happening this off season with Wilson's dead cap hit.

But if Pete and John decide to pull the trigger on a Wilson trade, it'd have to include another team's above average QB AND all the 1st round picks.

No way they're interested in spending the remainder of their own contract extensions rebuilding a roster going 6-9 desperately trying to find another top 10 QB in the draft or free agency competing with 25 other franchises.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1zmkfksn said:

Exactly. Pete doesnt plan around players strengths. He tries to pound square pegs into round holes no matter what.

TwistedHusky":1zmkfksn said:

Classic case of the team having ownership that doesnt know what they are doing. As soon as the profits drop, Jody is selling.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People that think the cap hit protects us need to wake up.

Pete has rarely (if ever) adjusted for the situation or circumstance. He always believes he has a plan. And on the surface that plan, if executed, seems sounds if not fantastic.

The problem is that plan does not always mesh with the circumstance or situation.

So while the cap hit seems onerous, and most teams would balk at making a deal because of it - never underestimate Pete's inability to adjust his actions to the limitations of reality.

And, unfortunately, Pete is the FO.

If the cap hit is 40M but Pete thinks he can get the players to get us back on track? He is going to make the deal, even though it will likely end up badly for us.

This is going to come down to what Pete wants, regardless of the impact to the team or the terrible circumstance the decision puts us in.

Latest posts