Seahawks releasing Carlos Dunlap

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1368979204214296581[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/carlos_dunlap/status/1368985180086665216[/tweet]

Now watch them search for a replacement just before the season begins. It’s like they never learn.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping we could work something out with Dunlap.

But I don't blame him, he played very well after coming here. So he's smart to test the free agent market.

James in PA

Reaction score
Oh joy. Now we can use that money to sign an aging tight end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrThortan

Reaction score
Crappy. Hope there is still a chance to come to an agreement. Not sure he is worth the 14mil he would be getting though. Hopefully they spend the money they saved to compensate for his absence.

uncle fester

Reaction score
He was a great player and had a big impact in a short time.

The last few weeks kinda leaves me with the feeling that ...well ...I hope there’s a plan to all this. John?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hes the reason why this defense picked things up last season. At this point he will either chase the money or go to a team that is a sb contender. Hawks can't accommodate either option. Too bad as he played well here.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Major bummer. Hope we can resign him on a friendlier deal but I doubt he won't get picked up by another team. That really sucks.

renofox

Reaction score
uncle fester":krhxejdq said:
He was a great player and had a big impact in a short time.

The last few weeks kinda leaves me with the feeling that ...well ...I hope there’s a plan to all this. John?

Plan A (2020 season): Don't sign any decent DL/OL players - lines don't matter. Start the season with the worst defense in the history of the NFL, then make desperation signings and squander massive future draft capital to get a player ranked 53rd in one of the least important positions on the team. Change your entire scheme to manufacture pressure at the expense of coverage and end the season playing incompetent/injured offenses/quarterbacks to bring your overall defensive ranking all the way up into the 20's.

Plan B (2021 season): Rinse. Repeat. Details are different but, overall, another year of WTF transactions on players that make no sense and destroy the team's draft capital and cap position a further 2-3 years in the future. Result: a sub-mediocre team that has no draft capital or cap surplus for the next 4-5 years.

Plan C: Non-existent. Stick with your "plan".

lol

nanomoz

Reaction score
This is three years-in-a-row that the Hawks have parted ways with their best pass rusher.

Rat

Reaction score
I feel bad for him. He was so hyped to finally get on a team that could make a deep playoff run, but then Russ decided to tank the wild card, and Dunlap again has a first-round exit. I hope we can bring him back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MrThortan":gjm9sdwz said:
Crappy. Hope there is still a chance to come to an agreement. Not sure he is worth the 14mil he would be getting though. Hopefully they spend the money they saved to compensate for his absence.

He's not worth the 14M, which is why we released him.

But Dunlap is worth a 2-3 year deal for someone looking at adding quality DE depth to their rotation. So if you're Dunlap's agent, it's a good time for him to test free agency to see if he can get more than 15M of guaranteed money, rather than taking a pay cut here, or even playing for the 14M one year deal.

Hopefully we can stay in the mix, I'd love to see him back.

getnasty

Reaction score
He was never getting 14 million dollars and he won't get 14 million in free agecy either. Just because he was released doesn't mean the don't want him back and that he's not coming back. Had the FO just let him play this year on a 14 million dollar deal that would have been an horrible move. Calm down people this isn’t fantasy football where you can just signed anyone you want, there is actaully something called a salary cap.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The bad news continues, I had hoped the team could work out things with him. Here's the answer.

I suspect hat many of the UFAs of this season are going to find that the really big deals of the past will be few and far between.

I certainly hope that Carlos sees that he could do a lot worse than by playing for the Hawks.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Considering we had virtually no pash rush before he got here and considering it's been proven time and time again that line play is the foundation of a championship team (as we ourselves have seen), this is just baffling. But I guess we need to sink all that money into more LB's and safeties.

balakoth

Reaction score
We had no cap space and owed him 14 million.. what in the world did anyone expect?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No big deal. I'm sure this will be the year that Collier and Green will finally pan out. *insert sarcasm tag here*

Sigh

Elemas

Reaction score
getnasty":hecozqxl said:
He was never getting 14 million dollars and he won't get 14 million in free agecy either. Just because he was released doesn't mean the don't want him back and that he's not coming back. Had the FO just let him play this year on a 14 million dollar deal that would have been an horrible move. Calm down people this isn’t fantasy football where you can just signed anyone you want, there is actaully something called a salary cap.

Normally, I would agree. But....his post says otherwise. He pretty much said “bye”. It’s all good. As mentioned prior, LJ Collier (you know, 1st round Collier) is sure to be on fire this season.

/DaFuqHappeningHere