Bears-Seahawks Trade Talks

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Long time Bears fan here. Not looking for any trouble, just wanted to get a pulse on the current Russell Wilson trade rumors from Seattle fans. How are ya'll feeling? What are you hearing from Seattle media, etc? Is this thing gong to happen or is it a long shot?

Personally, don't think this happens, but as a Bears fan I'm pessimistic on anything the franchise does. They can't get out of their own way. Ryan Pace/Nagy are desperate right now though. They need to figure out something at the QB position or they will be on their way out after next season.

I have a buddy who is in Chicago media and attends pressers at Halas hall regularly and his current pulse of the situation is Bears keep calling, but Seattle hasn't really responded fwiw. Don't know how accurate that is though. Pace has a tight lock and key on Halas Hall and not very often do things get leaked.

Edit: I'd also add that Wilson's supposed reasoning for liking Chicago makes no sense. The Bears do not have an emerging young OL - they are shit. Nagy is also not a good young offensive mind. He is a fraud.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The only way Russ goes to the Bears is with a 3-way deal, probably involving the Texans or Jets. If we trade Russ, we'd need an experienced starting QB in return, and the Bears just don't have that, nor do they have a high 1st round pick this year.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1p9ubig5 said:
The only way Russ goes to the Bears is with a 3-way deal, probably involving the Texans or Jets. If we trade Russ, we'd need an experienced starting QB in return, and the Bears just don't have that, nor do they have a high 1st round pick this year.

Agree. That's why I have a hard time making sense of the trade. Bears really ****** themselves this past season by rallying and going 8-8. Everyone knew they were shit. They had a 6 game skid and looked like they were locked in to a top 10 pick, only to rattle off a few wins to be the 7th seed. Life of a Bears fan man.

:pukeface:

toffee

Reaction score
GrizzBEARS":rxcecxsv said:
Tusc2000":rxcecxsv said:

Agree. That's why I have a hard time making sense of the trade. Bears really f*** themselves this past season by rallying and going 8-8. Everyone knew they were $h!t. They had a 6 game skid and looked like they were locked in to a top 10 pick, only to rattle off a few wins to be the 7th seed. Life of a Bears fan man.

:pukeface:
Oh man, with Dallas passed on our HOF Russ, now Chicago didn't have assets to make it work. Down to two suitors.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I wouldn't discount it.

The Bears have little to offer and it would be stupid for the Seahawks to even attempt.

But Pete has turned into an arrogant, foolish old man that tends to miss the reality of the situation vs what he wants. So whether something would be smart or even awful won't matter. Only if Pete wants it.

Pete bet on the wrong horse for his style. I pointed this out at the time. We ran off all the great pieces of that team and bet on Wilson. But Wilson was never a fit for Pete. He won DESPITE Pete. And he carried this team in doing that.

Now Pete thinks those wins were because of him, when they never were. Pete isn't a good coach tactically or strategically. Because he cannot think tactically or strategically, it is completely possible he would force a really stupid trade of Wilson this year despite the terrible place it would put the Seahawks.

The Jets sure hope so.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I think it will be done before FA begins. Earlier this week I elsewhere called it getting done today - Thursday - and I'm sticking with that call.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
GrizzBEARS":2oaqto0c said:
Edit: I'd also add that Wilson's supposed reasoning for liking Chicago makes no sense. The Bears do not have an emerging young OL - they are $h!t. Nagy is also not a good young offensive mind. He is a fraud.

Russell's list seems to be more about fanbases and media markets to expand his and Ciara's brand, than it is about teams ready to compete for SB's.

That's my guess on Chicago. HUGE media market, and maybe a little nostalgia because he played college ball at Wisconsin, so he likes the midwestern football atmosphere.

As far as the Bears being a viable trade partner? I just don't see it. Makes no sense that John and Pete would even entertain trading a top 5 QB in his prime with three years left on his deal to a team with very little on their roster that's appealing, nor in the top 10 of this or upcoming drafts.

So as much as Bear's fans are probably salivating at the idea of Wilson in a Bear's uniform. From the Hawks side, makes ZERO sense every which way. Cap, draft, players in return. Nothing.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
pinksheets":3hzypxtd said:
I think it will be done before FA begins. Earlier this week I elsewhere called it getting done today - Thursday - and I'm sticking with that call.

I hope you're right on this and from what I have heard is that if a deal gets done it would be this week.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Their 1st round pick just isn't high enough, and if they get Russ future picks won't be high enough either.

It would have to involve players as sweeteners. Two late 1s plus three of Mack/Smith/Johnson/Kmet.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1mhyzatl said:
I wouldn't discount it.

The Bears have little to offer and it would be stupid for the Seahawks to even attempt.

But Pete has turned into an arrogant, foolish old man that tends to miss the reality of the situation vs what he wants. So whether something would be smart or even awful won't matter. Only if Pete wants it.

Pete bet on the wrong horse for his style. I pointed this out at the time. We ran off all the great pieces of that team and bet on Wilson. But Wilson was never a fit for Pete. He won DESPITE Pete. And he carried this team in doing that.

Now Pete thinks those wins were because of him, when they never were. Pete isn't a good coach tactically or strategically. Because he cannot think tactically or strategically, it is completely possible he would force a really stupid trade of Wilson this year despite the terrible place it would put the Seahawks.

The Jets sure hope so.
See, I just don't understand this train of thought at all. The idea that Russ won 'in spite' of Pete seems like it pretty much ignores the setup Russ came into the Seahawks with.

Russ came in and had a defense somewhere between top-5 and all-time level great his first few years.
He was allowed to take a run-focused offense and run it out of the shotgun formation because he had a running back who could make that work probably better than any other RB who has been in the league.
They implemented the 'read-option' to a degree that few NFL teams had ever done which gave him the opportunity to make plays with his feet and buy tons of extra space from hesitating defenders.
Finally, Pete's 'keep it close and then hope Russ will save the day if we are on the wrong side of close' philosophy is frustrating and annoying to me... but without it, all the moments that have created that highlight reel of Russell Wilson moments would not have happened nearly as often.

I have never liked Pete Carroll. I thought the way he came into Seattle right at the time that all that stuff went down with USC was shady. I can't stand the fact that a coach who has been a professional football coach can be so inept at coaching between the whistles. I have unironically said that we could probably replace Pete during games with a mediocre high school football coach and not have any noticeable drop off in game management.

But to say he has had no responsibility for our success these last few years...? Seriously?

Frankly, I don't believe the Seahawks will have a winning season if Russ walks this off-season. I similarly feel we'd end up in the same boat if we replace Pete.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bm7hqbb said:
GrizzBEARS":1bm7hqbb said:
Edit: I'd also add that Wilson's supposed reasoning for liking Chicago makes no sense. The Bears do not have an emerging young OL - they are $h!t. Nagy is also not a good young offensive mind. He is a fraud.

Russell's list seems to be more about fanbases and media markets to expand his and Ciara's brand, than it is about teams ready to compete for SB's.

That's my guess on Chicago. HUGE media market, and maybe a little nostalgia because he played college ball at Wisconsin, so he likes the midwestern football atmosphere.

As far as the Bears being a viable trade partner? I just don't see it. Makes no sense that John and Pete would even entertain trading a top 5 QB in his prime with three years left on his deal to a team with very little on their roster that's appealing, nor in the top 10 of this or upcoming drafts.

So as much as Bear's fans are probably salivating at the idea of Wilson in a Bear's uniform. From the Hawks side, makes ZERO sense every which way. Cap, draft, players in return. Nothing.

Agree on Chicago being more of a market for Wilson/Ciara's brand.

The Bears won't be able to put out there the most lucrative offer. They can give up 3 1st's no problem, but a pick in the 20s doesn't do Seattle much good in replacing Wilson. The reason I've been pessimistic on the deal from the start is because the two teams need the same thing - QB and OL. And the Bears don't have anything valuable to offer in those terms.

I've heard players like Mack/Fuller/Roquan Smith/Jaylon Johnson tossed around as trade pieces as well, but not sure there is much truth to that.

Hopefully this thing is over soon - whether he's traded to the Bears or not. It is honestly consuming the City. If you make your way to Chicago Bears twitter - it is quite literally the only thing on people's minds. Chicago has been desperate for a bonafide QB1 for decades.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
KinesProf":1gxpqu30 said:
Their 1st round pick just isn't high enough, and if they get Russ future picks won't be high enough either.

It would have to involve players as sweeteners. Two late 1s plus three of Mack/Smith/Johnson/Kmet.

As a fan, I'd cringe a little at that trade package, but would ultimately be OK with it. The Bears have historically fielded a great D and that hasn't gotten them anywhere in decades. In today's NFL, if you don't have a franchise QB, you're not going to win any significant games.

I don't think the Bears would go for that trade package though. Just to much. I think they would opt for trading up in the draft and selecting a QB there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
GrizzBEARS":3jv46mdk said:
Hopefully this thing is over soon - whether he's traded to the Bears or not. It is honestly consuming the City. If you make your way to Chicago Bears twitter - it is quite literally the only thing on people's minds. Chicago has been desperate for a bonafide QB1 for decades.

The only way Russell gets what he wants is either he decides his situation here is so untenable that he refuses to show up to camp and forgoes his massive paychecks. Or a trade partner emerges that gives the Hawks an INSANE deal. By insane I mean 2-3 All Pro players + four 1st rounders. Something that crazy that the Hawk's couldn't say no.

That's the only way I see this happening this year. It just makes no sense on the Hawk's end.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Absolutely fair enough.

On one hand I get not wanting to gut your team for one player. On the other, correct me if I'm wrong, but figuring out the QB situation might be the only way Pace and Nagy keep their jobs, so they may be quite desperate.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
KinesProf":dwpe2jzt said:
Absolutely fair enough.

On one hand I get not wanting to gut your team for one player. On the other, correct me if I'm wrong, but figuring out the QB situation might be the only way Pace and Nagy keep their jobs, so they may be quite desperate.

They are extremely desperate and everyone in the league knows it lol. Pace really effed the franchise with the Trubisky pick and then deciding to sign Foles. I have no idea how he is still employed tbh.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lv58q3dx said:
GrizzBEARS":lv58q3dx said:

The only way Russell gets what he wants is either he decides his situation here is so untenable that he refuses to show up to camp and forgoes his massive paychecks. Or a trade partner emerges that gives the Hawks an INSANE deal. By insane I mean 2-3 All Pro players + four 1st rounders. Something that crazy that the Hawk's couldn't say no.

That's the only way I see this happening this year. It just makes no sense on the Hawk's end.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that teams could only trade picks 3 years out.

Also, LOL at 2-3 All Pros.

BASF

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35k4mi3n said:

Especially in conference. The only realistic spot they trade him to is in the AFC.

knownone

Reaction score
I got pretty deep into value charts last night, and I don’t see any way the Bears can afford to trade for Russ. I’ll post it when I get to work.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
BASF":3p5hwws3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3p5hwws3 said:

Especially in conference. The only realistic spot they trade him to is in the AFC.
I feel like Las Vegas is the only location Russ listed that has a reasonable shot at getting the Seahawks to bite. As noted, Chicago seems to be a place that might please Russell (whether they be for football related reasons or not) but it doesn't have much to offer Seattle and it sends Russ to play in our conference. Not as bad as in division, but still...

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
knownone":70hgung8 said:
I got pretty deep into value charts last night, and I don’t see any way the Bears can afford to trade for Russ. I’ll post it when I get to work.

Nice - that'd be interesting to see.