Meanwhile Brady restructures again - Does Russ not see it

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Brady has broken expectations - in part because he's been willing to restructure - push money out, take less, hell take it under the table whatever. He's willing to work with the team to give them an advantage. He just did it again and now watch TB will get back some of their top pending FA's. they'll also get a new guy or two.

Meanwhile, we're losing Dunlap, Carson, and Shaq.

Frustratingly obvious. You want weapons a good D AND an oline....moneys gotta come from somewhere.

Jville

Reaction score
Can the blame Pete tag team be all that far behind?

We'll see!

James in PA

Reaction score
Forget rings. Maybe Russ wants his “legacy” to be that someday he and Ciara will have a higher net worth than Tom and Gisele. But he has some catching up to do in that department as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Why would he give this team more cap room just to squander it?

That makes no sense.

He can get paid good money without restructuring and just go somewhere else and win. Doesn't that make more sense?

Brady can restructure because he has complete say in his team. Wilson doesn't.

If they gave Wilson complete control in exchange for restructuring? He likely would do it.

But they won't. So he won't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":13e3t3am said:
Why would he give this team more cap room just to squander it?

That makes no sense.

He can get paid good money without restructuring and just go somewhere else and win. Doesn't that make more sense?

Brady can restructure because he has complete say in his team. Wilson doesn't.

If they gave Wilson complete control in exchange for restructuring? He likely would do it.

But they won't. So he won't.

So Russell's holding onto his salary out of spite? He's not even going to TRY to go the Brady route and take less in order for his team to be more competitive? Seems like a bad way to win Superbowls.

I also don't like the Brady Russell comparison, Brady's earned the right to demand more say in his team's roster and personnel, Russell hasn't. Seven rings and counting, to Russell's one ring and thrown pick costing his team a 2nd.

Russell may think he does. But he's wrong.

misfit

Reaction score
Lets be clear on what Brady is doing though. He is not "taking less" as the media is putting this out as. This extension includes voidable years so the bonus money gets spread out and makes next season a lower cap hit to free up more cap room now. Brady still gets his money regardless.

Russ has restructured in the past, he did it for Duane Brown. Players actually love restructuring, cuz it gets them their guaranteed money quicker.

balakoth

Reaction score
Its pretty easy to take a pay cut when you have a corporation that pulls ins... DROVES of money...

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":33h4em49 said:
Brady didnt restructure dummies. He extended. Which means tampa committed more money to him for another year. Not less and not with any intent you guys are making it out to be. Stop sucking qbs off! Russ doesnt need to restructure. Cfos need to plan better.

Easy with the name calling.

Directly from the espn article "The move saves the Buccaneers $19 million against the salary cap this year"

That's the equivalent to a LG, TE and DE.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1hgkadke said:
jamescasey1124":1hgkadke said:
Brady didnt restructure dummies. He extended. Which means tampa committed more money to him for another year. Not less and not with any intent you guys are making it out to be. Stop sucking qbs off! Russ doesnt need to restructure. Cfos need to plan better.

Directly from the espn article "The move saves the Buccaneers $19 million against the salary cap this year"

Nah I will be easy when people stop speaking bs. The move by itself doesnt save 19 mil, but the collective moves of their roster has produced 19 mil in space. It's not something attributed to just one guy. That's how it is said and that's how you guys take it which is wrong. If tom made 20 mil last year and saved them 19 mil for 2021 then that means he would be playing for 1 million is 2021. Highly doubt it.

Also, it is speculated it counted 19 mil vs the cap. Not verified. In fact brady is set to make 25 million this year again base. All they did was alot his addition money in other places. He will still make over 30 mil this year...as he did the last two, with incentives all said and done. They just spaced out and made it harder to account for. Tom still gets his money. You guys just dont see it, so yeah let's bitch at russ for not being a major financial player and handling all the contract terms for the entire seahawks roster.

MrThortan

Reaction score
The difference between Tom's cap number (before this restructuring) vs Russell's is 3,625,000. $28,375,000 vs 32,000,000.

Look at Over the Cap for comparison. I suck at math, so feel free to skewer me.

Year: Cap Percentage including 2021

Russell Wilson (First 10 Years)

• 1 : 0.5%
    2 : 0.5%
    3 : 0.6%
    4 : 4.7%
    5 : 12%
    6 : 8.6%
    7 : 13.4%
    8 : 13.8%
    9 : 15.5%
    10 : 17.4% (2021)

Total 87
    Average 8.7

Tom Brady (First Ten Years)

• 1 : 0.3%
    3 : 1.5%
    4 : 4.4%
    5 : 6.3%
    6 : 9.9%
    7 : 13.6%
    8 : 6.7%
    9 : 12.6%
    10 : 11.9%

Total 67.7
    Average 6.77

Career average 8.3 (Including listed 2021 cap %).
    Career average 8.7 (if your disregard 2010 which OTC doesn't list his cap percentage). This was the first year of a new contract where he was the highest paid player.

Look like Brady did have a significantly lower cap hit over the first 10 years than Russ. This doesn't take into account a lot of factors though. I assume QBs have a much higher cap % than when Brady first started. Brady was paid a much higher percentage of the cap during 2012-2021, Russell's era. Their career average isn't too far apart.

Would be interesting to compare the career cap hits of other successful quarterbacks. I assume Brady is the exception, not the norm.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
People just don't understand how these contracts work. Whenever a player restructures, they aren't taking less money, they are just defraying parts of the contract to later years to create 'cap space' now. Eventually the bill comes due.

That being said, Brady has taken less money in the past than he could have gotten. But he's literally the only player that does this. Everyone else (including all the other franchise QB's) get as much as they can. So it isn't Russ that's the outlier, it's Brady.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
MrThortan":3mc9g6nm said:
The difference between Tom's cap number (before this restructuring) vs Russell's is 3,625,000. $28,375,000 vs 32,000,000.

Look at Over the Cap for comparison. I suck at math, so feel free to skewer me.

Year: Cap Percentage including 2021

Russell Wilson (First 10 Years)

• 1 : 0.5%
    3 : 0.6%
    4 : 4.7%
    5 : 12%
    6 : 8.6%
    7 : 13.4%
    8 : 13.8%
    9 : 15.5%
    10 : 17.4% (2021)

Total 87
    Average 8.7

Tom Brady (First Ten Years)

• 1 : 0.3%
    3 : 1.5%
    4 : 4.4%
    5 : 6.3%
    6 : 9.9%
    7 : 13.6%
    8 : 6.7%
    9 : 12.6%
    10 : 11.9%

Total 67.7
    Average 6.77

Career average 8.3 (Including listed 2021 cap %).
    Career average 8.7 (if your disregard 2010 which OTC doesn't list his cap percentage). This was the first year of a new contract where he was the highest paid player.

Look like Brady did have a significantly lower cap hit over the first 10 years than Russ. This doesn't take into account a lot of factors though. I assume QBs have a much higher cap % that when Brady first started. Brady was paid a much higher percentage of the cap during 2012-2021, Russell's era. Their career average isn't too far apart.

Would be interesting to compare the career cap hits of other successful quarter backs. I assume Brady is the exception, not the norm.

I just looked at Rodgers since he became a starter in 2008. His average is 10.3% of the cap. so yeah, not cheap to have a franchise QB that's for sure.

AgentDib

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":6upoki64 said:
People just don't understand how these contracts work. Whenever a player restructures, they aren't taking less money, they are just defraying parts of the contract to later years to create 'cap space' now. Eventually the bill comes due.

That being said, Brady has taken less money in the past than he could have gotten. But he's literally the only player that does this. Everyone else (including all the other franchise QB's) get as much as they can. So it isn't Russ that's the outlier, it's Brady.
Correct on both counts here. To expound on the first point, it's not even that players are delaying the same money with restructures. They usually get it sooner in the form of upfront bonus payments unless the organization is cash poor and wants to delay the bonus payments to the previous timings.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
What frustrates me is the argument that QB cap % is going up, it isn't the same as 10 years ago. Well it seems Tom has been hovering around 10% of the cap for a good while. His salary can go up because the overall historically continues to rise. With Russ making 17% of the overall cap, that is a huge disadvantage to the team. That 6-7% is a very solid offensive lineman he wants.
It is being reported that Mahomes is restructuring his contract. Saving 17M against the cap. Don't know how that impacts year to year, but I'm sure it helps.
If Russ is about winning and they can have a gentleman's agreement that if i re-structure this goes to an OLine player, I think we will be on our way to mending some fences a little bit.

However, to say there is a lack of trust in coaching is valid, and many of us have said it over the years. Case in point.

During the LOB prime years.

2013 Super Bowl win
2014 Lost Super Bowl - The entire defensive backfield was hurt then lost our top edge rusher. I give the D a pass and we still should've won that game.
2015 Lost in the divisional round 24-31 to Carolina....the LOB gave up 31 points in the first half...Unacceptable for an historic defense. We gave up 31 points in the first half while the offense through 0 on the board. That is horrible and a coaching issue.
2016 Lost in the divisional round 20-36. Another brutal beatdown of our legendary defense. I mean giving up 36 points with our defense is poor coaching and/or execution. But unacceptable either way.

So the valid issue is the coaching staff through the years has not gotten the team prepared when it matters most.

John63

Reaction score
Reality check Wilson has redone it before and has said just past year he would again. The thing is the team must also want to do it.

misfit

Reaction score
gowazzu02":23m3epw5 said:
jamescasey1124":23m3epw5 said:

Maybe Tampa has a better front office than Seattle?

Maybe instead of picking up the phone when teams are calling for your future HOF top 5 qb, you should be extending and trying to restructure his contract in this one year when youre strapped on cap space and have major needs?

But no, Tom takes pay cuts and Russ is greedy

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Mahomes redoing his deal, saving KC 17 Million in cap this year.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
some one here posted a link on another thread to a video of some seahawk insider that I don't know that said the "disagreement" began when Russell said that if he did restructure his contract that he would like to be in on the decision making of who they use the savings on? If doing so isn't going to bring him some better pass protection he isn't going to do it.