Russell Wilson to stay in Seattle per Jarrett Payton!

W

Welshers

Ok, so I know it's just a report and nothing definitive, but a Chicago sports reporter said he has talked to someone close to Russell and Russell is likely to stay! Some good news! We talk about all the bad speculation so I figured we could look at this as well!

"Just talked to someone close to the Russell Wilson situation and they told me, they don’t think he’s leaving SEA. BUT IF there’s a Russ trade to CHI, the #Bears would have to give SEA whatever they want."
-Jarrett Payton

https://twitter.com/paytonsun/status/13 ... ett-payton

Mizak

Reaction score
It must suck for an OL to block for Wilson this upcoming season.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I hope he stays. It’s worth it even if it means John63 sticks around.

However, what if PC decides it’s better to move on?

Also, if RW heard he was actually getting traded wouldn’t he say this so he looks like the good guy?

I hope it’s true though.

sutz

Reaction score
Been hearing a lot of commentary that Chi really doesn't have enough in player and draft capital to take Russ off our hands. :229031_shrug:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I said two weeks ago I gave this happening less than a 5% chance.

Russell might want out, but he picked a bad year to ask for it. Cap strapped teams + 39M dead cap hit + 3 years left on his deal = you aren't going anywhere this year homey.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
One more year as everyone has suspected. Gotta wonder if that's all we are going to hear all year unless the team or Russ puts and end to it by saying something...wonder if his oline will purposely whiff a few blocks. Not that anyone would notice.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vtayuuj said:

Russell might want out, but he picked a bad year to ask for it. Cap strapped teams + 39M dead cap hit + 3 years left on his deal = you aren't going anywhere this year homey.

I don't think Russ really wants out. I think he just wants better pass protection.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tusc2000":3emf1lhx said:
I don't think Russ really wants out. I think he just wants better pass protection.

Thank God, someone employs Occam's Razor. Yep, yep and yep!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3b3siwgr said:
Sgt. Largent":3b3siwgr said:

That's an easy conversation that he could have had internally with Pete and John.

Only one reason a player goes public, he wants out because he no longer likes his coach/organizational or roster situation.

I believe Russell did express his concerns internally, and I believe Pete and John told him thanks for the input but 1. We're the HC and GM, and 2. YOU bear a lot of responsibility with how much you get hit.

Russ probably didn't like that response, and thus here we are.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Regardless,

If we keep Russ for one more year, then it is a win.

It will be an interesting year with Russ essentially halfway out there and telling Pete to go screw himself (figuratively) but better than no QB at all.

Not a fan of Pete right now. Still think he is a cancer but a lot of the vitriol only made sense because he was the reason we were trading away our Michael Jordan. If Wilson gets traded, the Seahawks become irrelevant. Still think Pete is old and worthless, and really only relevant because Wilson won games for him that he otherwise would have lost.

But keeping Wilson is the best option out of anything we had to pick from.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1iyldawr said:
Regardless,

If we keep Russ for one more year, then it is a win.

It will be an interesting year with Russ essentially halfway out there and telling Pete to go screw himself (figuratively) but better than no QB at all.

Not a fan of Pete right now. Still think he is a cancer but a lot of the vitriol only made sense because he was the reason we were trading away our Michael Jordan. If Wilson gets traded, the Seahawks become irrelevant. Still think Pete is old and worthless, and really only relevant because Wilson won games for him that he otherwise would have lost.

But keeping Wilson is the best option out of anything we had to pick from.

Cancer's a strong word.

Has the game passed Pete by and does he probably have too much control now that Paul Allen isn't here to hold his feet to the fire when things go wrong? Probably.

But the NFL is a cold hard business, and right now the cold hard business of Russell being unhappy is his team has all the leverage. The only leverage Russell has is what he's doing, talking crap through the press paving the way for his exit if he doesn't get what he wants, more say in personnel and game planning/play calling.

Other than this, what? Not show up to camp? Miss his massive paychecks? Hold out into the season? I don't see Russell ever doing that.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Elemas":3un57wum said:
Maybe the oline could be better.

Sometimes it was their fault. A lot of times it was Russ holding onto the ball too long, not throwing or seeing the wide open underneath or check down. Him doing his back spin right into blocked guys. etc.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Wilson isn't happy. He went public with some grievances. Not that big in and of themselves, but there's been a drip, drip of how unhappy he is since then. And these drips have not been about protecting better rather that he's stifled and that the coaching is incapable of delivering "greatness".

He may have a point. Regardless, if he's not traded the situation is likely to remain unresolved. The only thing that could do that would be an extension, which would only happen if Seattle is caving to Wilson's demands (better protection + he calls the offense).

I will differ with those that think keeping an unhappy Wilson is better than not. After every game "Did you think you were allowed to throw enough Russ?" "Did you run the ball too much Pete?" In the locker room "did we block well enough for you, even though you were sacked 3 times for holding the ball 4+ seconds?"

Of course we can't give him away, we need a good haul. If a team Wilson approves is willing to do that I would rather turn the page. I do not see an unhappy Wilson in Seattle winning a Super Bowl and that is my singular goal each and every season. He won't mail it in, but such tensions are a visible drag on the team (see Rodgers and the Packers).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tusc2000":oajxxf0g said:
Sgt. Largent":oajxxf0g said:

I don’t think he does either, I think he wants a “Peyton Manning type of say/power” on what happens with the offense.
Might as well try it, if it fails you can always go back.

John63

Reaction score
gowazzu02":10dzeon6 said:
Elemas":10dzeon6 said:

Sometimes it was their fault. A lot of times it was Russ holding onto the ball too long, not throwing or seeing the wide open underneath or check down. Him doing his back spin right into blocked guys. etc.

well not alot as only 25% of the sacks were attributed to Wilson and even without them he was top 5 there is still a problem. given every QB under PC has been amongst the tops in sacks I still think it is a scheme issue

hawk45

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":32g1012s said:
I’m on the fence there

John63

Reaction score
gowazzu02":c7zll58k said:
Elemas":c7zll58k said:

well not alot as only 25% of the sacks were attributed to Wilson and even without them he was top 5 there is still a problem and that does not count the number of sacks that don't happen because of him. Given every QB under PC has been amongst the tops in sacks I still think it is a scheme issue

John63

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":8ptfpvek said:

However, what if PC decides it’s better to move on?

Also, if RW heard he was actually getting traded wouldn’t he say this so he looks like the good guy?

I hope it’s true though.

I hate to burst your bubble but Wilson leaving or staying I will still be here as I have said many times I was a Seahawks fan before Wilson and will be long after Wilson.