Fullback

hinton

Reaction score
With all the arguments on the OL versus RW-style approach it's got me thinking back to when we had Leonard Weaver and Mike Rob playing fullback and how out O just seemed more balanced.

If we could have added DK onto the 2013 team our O would have been borderline unstoppable.

With RW's style of QB play it can be trickier for the OL to block compared to a prototypical statue QB as he scrambles behind their blocks and the OL don't know where to protect.

Our pass-pro is noticeably better when Travis Homer lines up at RB as a blocker. With the greatest respect to Homer he isn't exactly a great blocker, he's a decent-to-good blocker which is a step about our other RBs.

It would be good to see SW/RW/JS find a versatile fullback and scheme to maximise it.

When we ran the I-formation the FB was a bit like the Queen in chess. The FB could react to breakdowns on the OL to give Wilson an extra few seconds, bulldoze a hole for the RB to get to the second level, or sneak into the flat as a receiving threat. It also created hesitation on the D as they couldn't be certain which play was called.

Just a thought.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I cannot find the right stats but I would love to know what percent of the time we pass when Homer is in the game. I think it is a very high percent of the time so thus an easy tell.