Who do you want in free agency?

the_12th_man

Reaction score
With Free Agency just around the corner what players do you think this team should push hard to add that will help this team, as it stands right now, get over the hump. I know the cap space is a concern but it's been discussed at great length that teams can find the money. With limited draft capitol and little trade stock I am hoping that we will be more aggressive then ever in Free Agency this year. But we've all been disappointed for years. These are my hopeful pick ups without getting too ridiculous.

Center- Corey Linsley (Popular choice but his resume just speaks for itself)

Guard- Joe Thuney (Alternative if we can't sign Linsley. Doubt we could sign both)

Running back- Leonard Fournette (There's a couple of backs who I think will be picked up before him so I think his cost will be lower and fits Carrol's strong runner style. He also has much better hands then is usually credited for.)

Fullback- Kyle Juszczyk (Finally we sign great blocker and he has good hands for passing downs.)

3rd Wideout- John Brown (Bargain bin hunting now. Good veteran player. Was the man in Buffalo before Digs showed up)

4th Wideout/RB/Special Teams- Cordarrelle Patterson (Great special team. Good wrinkle play player as well. Played multiple positions. I think he and Kyle Juszczyk would essentially put Homer and Dallas to the practice squad.)

Defensive End- Carlos Dunlap (Loved this guys attitude and motor last year. Rejuvenated the d-line and answered the question we asked all last offseason. I understand we couldn't carry his cap hit last year but I hope he signs back with us.)

- Haason Reddeck (Another guy who seems to have a good motor. His production spiked last year which may price him out of our range. But he's young and seems hungry to prove himself.)

So that's my hopefuls. I think we can address corner, linebacker, Tight End, and rotation players in the draft. Hopefully we start seeing some restructures and extensions happening soon to free up more cap space.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Good post. Thuney and Linsley are both primo guys. I'd love either one, but both are gonna be pricey. I'd like to see them look at Reiter from Kansas City for center and James Carpenter for LG as well, both guys could come cheaper while still being effective players and freeing up some room to spend on D. Carpenter I'm more iffy on than Reiter, but they're not going to be able to get studs at both spots without serious sacrifices. Wouldn't be opposed to retaining Pocic, either, who I believe is much more suited to the type of scheme Waldron is bringing in and played better than expected at his natural center spot.

John Brown would be an amazing get. Gerald Everett is probably going to be signed and he's a great secondary option at TE who knows the offense. I'm not big on signing a fullback, honestly, but it all depends on how Waldron wants to go.

Only signing here I'd really object to is Fournette - I don't think he's very good at the type of zone rushing that Waldron/Dickerson are likely to implement. RB is a need, though, for sure.

Need a guy on the leo edge. I'd be happy to get Dunlap back cheaper, he did play very well there.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Put me down for the highly unpopular opinion of wanting cheap players. Expensive free agents rarely play up to the level of their contracts, and the actual difference in Super Bowl win percentage between cheap free agents and robbing the future for immediate gratification is not that big. Posters talk about pretenders or contenders as if there is some magic line but in reality we're talking about pushing our chances from 5% to 6%.

The team has also not done nearly well enough recently in playing the compensatory pick game. We should be in line for something decent with KJ, Carson and Griffin hitting UFA and there are still going to be tons of veteran FA available after the deadline or even waived veteran FA available sooner.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
AgentDib":vzppgx1u said:
Put me down for the highly unpopular opinion of wanting cheap players. Expensive free agents rarely play up to the level of their contracts, and the actual difference in Super Bowl win percentage between cheap free agents and robbing the future for immediate gratification is not that big. Posters talk about pretenders or contenders as if there is some magic line but in reality we're talking about pushing our chances from 5% to 6%.

The team has also not done nearly well enough recently in playing the compensatory pick game. We should be in line for something decent with KJ, Carson and Griffin hitting UFA and there are still going to be tons of veteran FA available after the deadline or even waived veteran FA available sooner.

I tend to agree with this. The huge contracts never really work out, and there are tooons of cap casualties entering a saturated market. I don't think we'll see any overpays on free agents from other teams from Seattle.

I expect them to clear cap with converting RW's salary to bonus, fill several holes with established depth guys and vets with potential akin to Shell, and perhaps somewhat splurge on one guy. They missed on TJ Lang but gave him a fairly big offer, so I'm not ruling out a Thuney or Linsley type to appease Russ.

chris98251

Reaction score
No on Fournette, he is another guy that disappears until the spotlight is on him, why couldn't he supplant Jones there, work ethic a question and heart as well.

massari

Reaction score
Hopefully they finally stop playing around with the DL and sign a couple of legit edge rushers like 2014 when they got Bennett and Avril. Collier/Green and Mayowa/Robinson/Taylor shouldn't be counted on to be top pass rushers for a contending team at this point.

CB William Jackson seems like a good fit to replace Griffin. Slightly shorter arms though.

C Corey Linsley like everyone says

Turn Wilson's base salary into signing bonus to open up $12M, and trade Wagner and Adams to open up an additional $23M this season alone to get this done, while bringing in more draft capital. Brooks and Blair replace them.

TE, WR, LG, LB, RB can be filled through the draft and/or cheaper free agents.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Per ESPNs annual “Seattle won’t do jack in free agency” article:

“ Since 2016 -- when the first of Wilson's two massive extensions kicked in -- the Seahawks rank 31st in total contract value given to external free agents, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. In terms of annual average, Ezekiel Ansah's one-year, $9 million deal in 2019 was the biggest Seattle has given to another team's free agent since Schneider and coach Pete Carroll arrived in 2010.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-s...awks-to-play-the-long-game-during-free-agency

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
We tried to trade for Aldon Smith so he seems an obvious target for FA.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
No chance he signs with Seattle, but the FA that would excite me the most is Aaron Jones.

Realistically though, some FA's I would take are:

OT: Alejandro Villanueva
CB: Michael Davis
TE: Jonnu Smith
EDGE: Romeo Okwara

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here's a recent article I read on potential OL FA's that the Seahawks may target -
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-seahawks-could-pursue/ar-BB1ezBek?li=BBnbfcL.

Forrest Lamp is intriguing as he's a guard and was highly touted in 2017 draft. He's coming off an injury he suffered in 2019 but his cost may not be high due to that. I guess it will all depend on what Waldron/Dickerson would like to do regarding OL. They preferred a smaller type (under 320 pds) than what the Seahawks have done thus far. They have opted for the larger types. If the former is the case, then Lamp looks to be a fit.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":xoje73qo said:
Here's a recent article I read on potential OL FA's that the Seahawks may target -
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-seahawks-could-pursue/ar-BB1ezBek?li=BBnbfcL.

Forrest Lamp is intriguing as he's a guard and was highly touted in 2017 draft. He's coming off an injury he suffered in 2019 but his cost may not be high due to that. I guess it will all depend on what Waldron/Dickerson would like to do regarding OL. They preferred a smaller type (under 320 pds) than what the Seahawks have done thus far. They have opted for the larger types. If the former is the case, then Lamp looks to be a fit.

I love Lamp.

kf3339

Reaction score
If history is any indication, we won't get any worthwhile FA that can actually help this team now. It's just not in JS or PC's game plan at all. Just saying...

OP
OP
the_12th_man

the_12th_man

Reaction score
I totally agree that they most likely will not spend big on free agency. But I also do believe really good veteran lineman are the exception to the big contract busts you usually see. Example Conklin, Mack, Hudson, Whitworth. But honestly Linsley or Thuney could definitely bust.

I completely understand the distain for Fournette. It's just I think it's pretty slim pickings in Free Agency for RB. Jones and most likely Carson will get paid. Drake was set up to have a monster year and really couldn't get it done in AZ. Gurley REALLY fell off down the stretch. Fournette is still young enough he can turn it around in my opinion. Oh and with the exception of Carson we can't seem to draft a good running back to save our lives. Some have shown flashes but I think a decent back is really needed. Especially if we're supposed to run the ball more effectively.

I like the Aldon Smith and Romeo Okwara picks for DE spot.

Lamp strikes me as such a Seahawks move and I'd really love to see them avoid that on offensive line this year. Former 1st rounder reclamation project like Joekel and more recently Warmack. Please spend some money for players who have proving to be consistently good. Which again, I know is most likely a pipe dream.

Own The West

Reaction score
We need an interior OL. Depending on who's available and who steps up (e.g. Haynes), Pocic could stay at C or Lewis could move over.

I would imagine either Griffin or Dunbar return; we need someone across from Reed. There aren't really any long FA CBs except for Dunbar and Kevin King. King might be a project, but CB is where Pete spins straw into gold. Other than that, we need Dunlap back -- and it sounds like that was the plan. In addition, DL depth is always a problem. Our LEO ends rely on interior push to get to the passer. J.Reed and Ford are good, but the drop off when they are out is a problem.

OL - Thuney > Zeitler > Lamp
DB - Griffin > William Jackson > Dunbar or P.Petersen? Kevin King to the practice squad...
DE - Dunlap
DL - Shelby Harris

p.s. I'm not in love with any of these guys. Just wanted to throw out names I've been thinking about.

massari

Reaction score
AgentDib":aqq40pl3 said:

Instead of spending big money on star free agents, they give up an exorbitant amount of high draft picks to bring them in via trade.

Wouldn't have to rely on mid/late round comp picks so much if they stop trading actual high picks for big contracts.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don’t expect much to be done like usual. But I hope to god they don’t bring back either Griffin.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Saw Aaron Jones mentioned here too. Unfortunately resigned with the Packers.

Rat

Reaction score
Shoot, Okwara is back with Detroit 3/39. I would have been happy with that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I think for me 1a would be Dunlap. He was a good fit here, the pickings at edge in the draft are lean and we're not picking high enough to warrant that overreach for a 3rd year.

1b would be Pocic. Not a great option, but not abhorrent.

Secondary value being we're not in essence trading picks for these players (comp pick formula). Seattle needs more picks after having gone through 3+ years of trading crucial draft stock for 1 year rentals. This past year being the deepest (trading for Adams, Dunbar and Dunlap). Last year it was Clowney and Diggs. The year before it was Richardson.

I like/love the OG/OC options that should be on the board for us in the draft. Not just at 56. Seattle *should* be looking to maximize their very limited stock and find cap efficiency where at all possible. But resigning Pocic would be a reasonable hedge for the draft and allow us flexibility in allowing the draft to fall to us. Seems we pick our best players when we can dial in on talents that fall -- even if we end up having to move up modestly to get them (Lockett, Metcalf, Reed). Pocic resigning doesn't/shouldn't preclude us from taking an OC at 56 if they happen to fall relative to the OG class either.

I also love this CB class. Seattle absolutely should get one early (for us) in April. Extremely deep and talented.

Otherwise, I don't see a lot of players that I think we should be allocating Dunlap resign money for at other positions.

Latest posts