Bears offered 3 firsts, a third, and 2 players for RW

gowazzu02

Reaction score
We were never going to trade him. In sports like in life, you follow the money. If we moved him we'd have to eat 40 million in cap. On top of that our 70 year old coach ain't trying to bring in a rookie and start over.

Media driven hysteria fueled by "anonymous sources" who are just stirring the pot.

Even if we were willing to start over, and willing to eat 40 million of dead money.

3 Bears first rounders isn't enough to start. Like the article said, we've seen over the years mid 20s picks usually turn into either crappy players, or 6 other picks....

Trrrroy

Reaction score
If those starters were Mack and Fuller I'd be temped.

James in PA

Reaction score
All 3 of those first rounders would have been in the 20’s. Unacceptable. To get a player of RW’s caliber, at least one of those would’ve had to be a top 5 pick. Impossible to guarantee, thus no deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'd be tempted for sure. As suggested in the link, if the Bears had a higher draft position, or a 3rd partner with a higher position was included, I think that deal is an excellent value.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I feel like keeping RW and the team the way it is, is like watching the Walking Dead After Season 5 or so. The show is over, why are we dragging this crap along? Time to rebuild (unless you're getting rid of old man Pete, which the Hawks are not). Oh because RW is some franchise QB to bring the team to the playoffs year after year, why don't you ask GB how well that's worked out for them since their SB win...sure as hell looks a lot like the RW story (and he has less NFCCGs to show for it). BTW I'm going to go out on limb and say Mahomes isn't winning another SB in the next 4 years either unless he does something Tom Brady like regarding his own contract. This is how the salary cap is designed with these top QBs. The proof is in the pudding for all these teams/elite paid QBs.

sdog1981

Reaction score
And only 30% of the team's cap being taken up by dead money? Why not?

28 draft picks, Wilson is worth 4 full NFL drafts, that would be my starting point.

Jville

Reaction score
With regards to value of draft picks, I see this non event as something of a corollary to the Jamal Adams trade.

The perspective being that it's easier to trade a player that fits (Jamal Adams) to a team that also uses a lower value chart for draft picks. Attempting to offer up draft picks and players that may or may not fit to a destination team with a value chart that is lower than the rest of the league is more difficult.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
The Bears should have started by offering 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders as a minimum. I’m surprised this was the Bears “best” offer - it’s only one more first rounder than the Seahawks gave up for Adams.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Unless it’s top 10 picks, a real QB and Mack, I don’t see how anyone can argue our FA made the wrong decision. The bears offer only makes Seattle worse.

John63

Reaction score
Okay
fact Bears made a pretty big offer

Fact Seahawks did not just say no, but they said they are not trading Wilson

Thats all.everything else is conjecture and media and so-called fans stirring and making crap up.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Think of how many times JS could have traded those picks. Rounds 4, 5, and 6 could just be Seahawks draft picks.

RCATES

Reaction score
James in PA":2eczeb24 said:
All 3 of those first rounders would have been in the 20’s. Unacceptable. To get a player of RW’s caliber, at least one of those would’ve had to be a top 5 pick. Impossible to guarantee, thus no deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In caliber do you mean "can't beat the 2-deep safety look"

I would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. But looks like "bounced in the divisional round" for Seattle the next 5 years. Can't wait.

chris98251

Reaction score
Find it funny JS goes to North Dakota to secretly meet with the Bears GM, John wants to sleep on it.

Calls up Pete, NOPE, this is the control aspect Pete has over everything.

Thats offense, defense, players, and staff.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":28snbrp7 said:
Find it funny JS goes to North Dakota to secretly meet with the Bears GM, John wants to sleep on it.

I wonder what would've happened if Schneider said yes to the trade without Carroll's consent. Would Pete have fired John?

pinksheets

Reaction score
chris98251":1te3sf7m said:

Yeah, it sounds like John is more game for the idea, which is the opposite of what I'd have expected since he was reportedly the guy pushing hardest to draft him.

It will be interesting what moves they make in the coming months. Namely, whether they put together any sort of backup plan to stay competitive without Russ.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":1bnxhs45 said:

Nope, didn't happen. I've been told the media made it all up for clicks. You know how the media just can't get enough of the Seahawks.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think John would've ended up saying no. It's a crap offer.

If John wanted to pull the trigger, then Pete just saved this era of Seahawks football by stepping in.

A-Dog

Reaction score
What's funny is they made all this effort to have a clandestine meeting in North Dakota during a pandemic, yet it gets out to the media a couple of days later. :lol:

flv

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":2kijjs6u said:
The Bears should have started by offering 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders as a minimum. I’m surprised this was the Bears “best” offer - it’s only one more first rounder than the Seahawks gave up for Adams.
If you don't like their 1st round picks i'm guessing you wouldn't like their 2nd round picks. Either way good starters on favourable contracts would seem to be more attractive. (Without knowing who the players were).