2021 draft picks

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
For the upcoming draft, the Seahawks have 4 picks. They are a 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th. Since Schneider has been GM he has never had fewer than 8 picks. This includes the 2019 draft where they entered draft day with 4 picks and parlayed them into 11 picks. Of course trading Frank Clark helped in the acquisition of additional picks. JS has his work cut out for himself this year.

I clearly expect him to end this draft with more than 4 picks. It’s going to be fascinating to watch the process. It’s also going to be fun watching the meltdowns that will happen on this board when fans want player x chosen while JS trades that choice and chooses players Y and Z.

I’m just surprised that more posters on this board don’t work in NFL personnel departments! :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
oldhawk I'm surprised you didn't put the :sarcasm_on: emoticon in your post prior to your last sentence. The eyeroll may have said enough though.

Seems to me that nothing the team does this offseason will be good enough for the crew that want Pete's balls on a pike and JS move down the road despite being the best FO the team has ever had in it's entire history. They've consistently despite adversity of cap limitations or late draft picks given the Seahawks fans a competitive team. Lately the grumbles are well OK they may be competitive but they haven't won a SB since 2013 so that proves they suck. Or alternatively the repeatedly tiresome Pete is old-fashioned, has no new ideas, and would screw it all up if he actually had a good team rubbish.

Some want the team to announce it's overall plan for the offseason so their opponents can head them off or they can can complain about it. In short the the team can never do anything right in their opinions. The record speaks to the contrary and changes are underway.

I'm very curious about this draft and despite the limitations with picks believe we will again see JS create more draft magic to acquire bodies to compete for spots on the roster.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have said it about a dozen times, I expect re negotiated contracts and more F.A.'s than Draft picks this year, the whole Covid thing really messed up scouting and many players sat out also creating more questions about many.

In FA you have film on guys and know their strengths and how they perform against NFL players.

The question is can JS get enough cap space doing that and will players restructure.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think one year, we have to bite the bullet and take whatever picks we have and stay put and for the future, stop, absolutely, stop trading draft capital.

I mean, Carroll, absolutely sucks at drafting now.

We got so lucky, teams thought DK, was just all go and no show. See what I did there? Cause he’s really fast and can run a go route....

Any ways, I guess it doesn’t really matter cause Carroll absolutely is terrible at drafting, why does it matter how few or a lot of picks Seattle has, Carroll doesn’t know how to draft quality players anyways....

gowazzu02

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":ifh0bn46 said:
I think one year, we have to bite the bullet and take whatever picks we have and stay put and for the future, stop, absolutely, stop trading draft capital.

We got so lucky, teams thought DK, was just all go and no show. See what I did there? Cause he’s really fast and can run a go route....

Any ways, I guess it doesn’t really matter cause Carroll absolutely is terrible at drafting, why does it matter how few or a lot of picks Seattle has, Carroll doesn’t know how to draft quality players anyways....

Absolutely terrible?? Im sorry are you trolling?

The Seahawks have had the most success in franchise history with JS/PC drafting. Name me a player personnel department that's done better?

Are JS/PC perfect? No!!! but the draft is a crap shoot!! PS - even our big first round misses (Ifedi and Carpenter are still getting paid to be in the NFL)

Name me a player personnel dept you think doesn't have any misses and I'll pull the tape up and prove you wrong. I'll also show you that they haven't found a HOF qb in the 3rd, HOF MLB in the 2nd, etc. etc.etc.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":1c333l2x said:
I have said it about a dozen times, I expect re negotiated contracts and more F.A.'s than Draft picks this year, the whole Covid thing really messed up scouting and many players sat out also creating more questions about many. In FA you have film on guys and know their strengths and how they perform against NFL players.
So if uncertainty is higher, doesn't that mean there is a better than normal chance of good players slipping down the list and late round picks should be more valuable?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1bf996lw said:
So if uncertainty is higher, doesn't that mean there is a better than normal chance of good players slipping down the list and late round picks should be more valuable?

For sure, however if you can't easily assess the players, get correct medical info, and interview them in person then it becomes a bit of a crap shoot.

Chris where is the team going to get the cap to do more FA deals? From what I read the available cap presently is now down to $1.7 million. I'm sure that more available will be created when the next big signing occurs but early FA deal usually costa lotta. There are limits though to how sensible it is to borrow against the future cap. Just saying'.

Jville

Reaction score
It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I've enjoyed day 3 and the day after for many years now.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
HawkNuts":3s3cnqi2 said:
This will be the most boring draft in Seahawks history.

Seahawks drafts are never boring. Especially with trader John Schneider in charge.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1g4hajcg said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1g4hajcg said:

The Seahawks have had the most success in franchise history with JS/PC drafting. Name me a player personnel department that's done better?

Are JS/PC perfect? No!!! but the draft is a crap shoot!! PS - even our big first round misses (Ifedi and Carpenter are still getting paid to be in the NFL)

Name me a player personnel dept you think doesn't have any misses and I'll pull the tape up and prove you wrong. I'll also show you that they haven't found a HOF qb in the 3rd, HOF MLB in the 2nd, etc. etc.etc.
Not many hits after that Wilson and Wagner year that became top cornerstones in the program, sorry.

You really can only say Metcalf as the next household name that they drafted. Frank Clark, Chris Carson, and to an extent Tyler Lockett. But not much more to replenish the talent Seattle lost after the super bowl defeat to the Patriots, and if you can name other key core players in recent drafts, I’m all ears, but yeah, it’s not much. Damien Lewis and Jordyn Brooks have a chance. But we will see.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2vy2twsy said:
AgentDib":2vy2twsy said:

For sure, however if you can't easily assess the players, get correct medical info, and interview them in person then it becomes a bit of a crap shoot.

Chris where is the team going to get the cap to do more FA deals? From what I read the available cap presently is now down to $1.7 million. I'm sure that more available will be created when the next big signing occurs but early FA deal usually costa lotta. There are limits though to how sensible it is to borrow against the future cap. Just saying'.

In rational circles, but Pete knows that his run of 1 and done in the playoffs is due to close, Wilson may have not been traded but he isn't the Poster / Choir boy anymore either, they have to almost go heavy in someway to do a couple things, appease Wilson, appease the Fans, appease Jody and Vulcan.

The draft doesn't have the quantity of picks to miss this year, nor does it have placement to garner high profile guys, let alone my reasons above.

Players are going to have to restructure or add years and stretch payments with bonus numbers. if John wants to add talent and depth. If your right 1.7 million won't cover Rookie draft picks and the camp roster.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":qtln0n5s said:
gowazzu02":qtln0n5s said:
TheLegendOfBoom":qtln0n5s said:

Not many hits after that Wilson and Wagner year that became top cornerstones in the program, sorry.

You really can only say Metcalf as the next household name that they drafted. Frank Clark, Chris Carson, and to an extent Tyler Lockett. But not much more to replenish the talent Seattle lost after the super bowl defeat to the Patriots, and if you can name other key core players in recent drafts, I’m all ears, but yeah, it’s not much. Damien Lewis and Jordyn Brooks have a chance. But we will see.
You insinuate the neither Pete nor John have gotten any talent beyond Wagner & Wilson, and that B#11 $#!t....How about undrafted's like Poona Ford, & Doug Baldwin...5th round Sherman, 7th round Carson, and tell us all again where Kam Chancellor was taken...YOU are NOT a talent evaluator, for IF YOU WERE, you'd be working for some NFL Team.....Do you work for an NFL Team???, yeah, I didn't think so. :177692:

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2n3937eo said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2n3937eo said:
gowazzu02":2n3937eo said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2n3937eo said:

You insinuate the neither Pete nor John have gotten any talent beyond Wagner & Wilson, and that B#11 $#!t....How about undrafted's like Poona Ford, & Doug Baldwin...5th round Sherman, 7th round Carson, and tell us all again where Kam Chancellor was taken...YOU are NOT a talent evaluator, for IF YOU WERE, you'd be working for some NFL Team.....Do you work for an NFL Team???, yeah, I didn't think so. :177692:

Seems to me that there are a lot of posters on .net who think they have missed their calling as NFL talent evaluators.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3jb81qgs said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3jb81qgs said:
gowazzu02":3jb81qgs said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3jb81qgs said:

Man, I said, recent drafts.

Not many hits lately.

Stop mentioning, Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, etc. those are now considered a lifetime ago and they are not active on the team.

Recent drafts. Go back and grade his picks over the past 3-5 years, not many, cornerstone picks.

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the topic of "2021 draft picks".

Using a 5th round pick for veteran guard Gabe Jackson was a smart use of a 2021 allocation. Using all avenues of talent acquisition. :2thumbs:

Curious as to how different this year might be given with Scott Fitterer moving on to be the General Manager of the Carolina Panthers. Although, Fitterer's promotion to GM is a pretty solid affirmation that John's talent acquisition program is well thought of.

Jville

Reaction score
Round 2, Pick No. 56 overall
Round 4, Pick No. 129 overall
Round 7, Pick No. 250 overall

[urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/nfl-releases-2021-draft-order-seahawks-currently-hold-three-picks[/urltargetblank]

misfit

Reaction score
cant wait till they trade bobby and lockett and stack up a bunch of picks

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I'm more excited to watch the Seahawks use three draft picks, then build the rest of their squad from undrafted free agents. That, and I'm not joking, would be something really interesting. On any given year, how many players go undrafted and un-signed that have NFL talent OR they don't go to the right situation for their skill set? There's only so many roster spots and many, many talented football players that can obviously play.

Honestly, I would love to see the Hawks bring back Dunlap, another OL, and one more mid-tier CB in FA, then watch them use their 3 draft picks and fill the rest of their roster with undrafted talent. That would be some really cool "chip-on-their-shoulder" practices, man.