Seahawks resign center Ethan Pocic

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372684855847366658[/tweet]

................................... the good news just keep pouring in :2thumbs:

Rat

Reaction score
Time for the superfans to tell us all that this should shut up those who think we havn't made enough signings.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
That puts the team 3 deep at center.

Four deep if Damien Lewis is included as a competitor at center.

Roster construction is fun! :D

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Pocic will have Lewis and Jackson either side of him. Should be much better than an over the hill Iupati and various other " can play anywhere along the line" types.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Rat":1zez1foh said:
Time for the superfans to tell us all that this should shut up those who think we havn't made enough signings.

This signing is a white flag of surrender.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's a very good roster flexibility signing. Pocic is familiar. He is playing his best football of his career. And he's quite cheap.

This is an ideal hedge signing. Particularly if Seattle has it's eye on Landon Dickerson who currently won't be available to start the season. Seattle can go either best OG or best OC on the board -- and depending on how the draft unfolds late in the 2nd, has the ability to trade back and try to come away with more than 3 players from this class.

This isn't a knock your socks off signing. But it's potentially one of the smartest moves they've made thus far. But it will quickly degrade to a pretty bad move if we end up not having hedged anything, and instead come away with no OL help. This class is pretty exceptional, but we've been swimming against the tide for the better part of 7 years running now. So there is every possibility, even probability that the hedge is the final result.

Own The West

Reaction score
This is good news. Not sure if I trust Fuller...

Brown
Jackson
Pocic
Lewis
Shell

Seems solid.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Lineup continuity and good health facilitates improved chemistry over the course of a season.

It's about time Lady Fortune shined more brightly on us.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I can't see why this signing is a white flag of surrender, perhaps you can explain Jayhawk Mike?

I'm not a huge fan of Pocic who has taken all of his time in the league to finally be able to play occasionally passable football at C. He seems unable to hold up against the strength of many interior DLinemen and was a weak link last season and never broke through as a starter either until last season where he wasn't able to play a whole season. Thankfully he seems to be improving year over year so there is hope.

I think this is a pure roster hedge and allows the team to find an acceptable OC in the draft Landon Collins, Creed Humphrey, and Quinn Meinerz could all be available to the team and render Pocic surplus to needs.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Cap number for Ethan Pocic is $1.75M with the cap hit at only $1.15M .................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1372705296469131265[/tweet]

........................... ******* some confusion over numbers as Evans deleted his tweet. There is a veteran cap exemption of $1.25M available if Pocic qualifies which would result in a cap number of $1.75M. Evan incorrectly subtracted .600 rookie minimum from $1.75M. The 2021 rookie minimum is actually $0.660M. The reported $3mil might be too large a number to qualify for reduced cap number. I'm unclear on this. Guess we'll find out the actual cap number in after the next 24 hours.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Own The West":1js2gjzm said:
This is good news. Not sure if I trust Fuller...

Brown
Jackson
Pocic
Lewis
Shell

Seems solid.

Lets add the snap count percentages ......

Brown ...... 98.4%
Jackson ... 98.1%
Pocic ........ 87.5%
Lewis ....... 90.8%
Shell ........ 63.2%

scutterhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1274ckri said:
Pocic will have Lewis and Jackson either side of him. Should be much better than an over the hill Iupati and various other " can play anywhere along the line" types.
Took the words right out of my mouth; Jacksons signing is huge, being flanked by he and Lewis will free up Pocic to do his job without having to cover the Left guards ass when he whiffs.
:irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
Jville":1e5yyus4 said:
Lineup continuity and good health facilitates improved chemistry over the course of a season.

It's about time Lady Fortune shined more brightly on us.
Yeah, I'm actually good with Pocic coming back. Getting tired of changing 3/5 of our O-line every year. :229031_shrug:

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So weve lost Carson and they resigned Pocic . I can't say i think were better offensively . Pocic is inconsistent and not very good but he was cheap compared to what the really good Centers are making. I'm still skeptical about this season we need a pass rusher or there's little chance of Seattle being considered a legit contender .

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He's worth the contract, easily. People are always going to be down on any Seattle OL because of their priors that've been formed over nearly a decade.

Pocic could start and probably be around league average, but even if they acquire a better center, 3m is a pretty good contract for a swing interior lineman who'd likely be a primary backup at all 3 interior spots.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawks have had to plug in a backup center several times the last few years. Remember when Lemuel JeanPierre was our annual injury savior at center? Last year Lewis had to play C. Is Pocic an upgrade over Joey Hunt? Probably. Hunt is a legit NFL serviceable backup Center, and started a number of games for us.

Now Pete and John need to get a couple more good linemen that can compete Pocic into a backup spot. Experienced depth and competition on the OL is a happy problem to have.