Should Hawk’s O Prioritize 1st Downs over TDs this season?

Mizak

Reaction score
I say yes. The more 1st downs, the more TOP. If theres a chance for a TD, go for it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2w9s9wm3 said:
That should always be the focus.
Agreed! Moving the chains is fundamental football and it’s something that gets lost a lot with this coaching staff.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I feel like first downs are like a money ball situation of getting on base. You get more first downs and you'll more than likely get more points at the end of the game. I feel like if its an even better stat to play for than the turnover stat that Pete coaches so heavily for.

John63

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":24rawi16 said:
Which is why Pete likes the run game...TOP.

You know we were winning TOP be a wide margin first 8 games last year. You can win TOP and still throw the ball.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":134xn0np said:
oldhawkfan":134xn0np said:

You know we were winning TOP be a wide margin first 8 games last year. You can win TOP and still throw the ball.

It's because we milk the play clock to 0:0.001 every play which is a tell to the defense go kill Russell.

AlbaHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":gzv6814c said:
John63":gzv6814c said:
oldhawkfan":gzv6814c said:

It's because we milk the play clock to 0:0.001 every play which is a tell to the defense go kill Russell.

I don't understand why we do this all the time - even when behind. Trying to draw the opposition offside very rarely works for us as they seem to know we are going to snap the ball when it reaches 0.

It does seem that other teams vary the timing of the snapway more than we do.

Sorry - I know this is off topic.

sutz

Reaction score
3rd down efficiency is all too often dependent on 1st down efficiency. If you can reliably pick up 4 yds (on avg) on 1st down, 2d and 3rd down start getting a lot easier and have a larger playlist of calls.

Get a lot of 1-2 yd results on 1st down, you get more 2d and 3rd and long situations. Degree of difficulty rises quickly.

:shrug:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I don't believe you value anything over TDs, with the possible exception of ball control on a short lead with the clock winding down. But how you get those TDs sure gets easier with a solid advance on 1st down. We were not good at that last year. We ran for 1 or 2, while our opposition ran for 5 or 6 when they had the ball. That was a real tell in how our game was going to play out. When your success DEPENDS on hitting the long ball you are very likely to fail more often than you win. That we pulled out 12 wins last season seems miraculous to me.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Focus on first downs and the TDs will come....

potatohead33

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2ttt961f said:
I don't believe you value anything over TDs, with the possible exception of ball control on a short lead with the clock winding down. But how you get those TDs sure gets easier with a solid advance on 1st down. We were not good at that last year. We ran for 1 or 2, while our opposition ran for 5 or 6 when they had the ball. That was a real tell in how our game was going to play out. When your success DEPENDS on hitting the long ball you are very likely to fail more often than you win. That we pulled out 12 wins last season seems miraculous to me.

Because it was miraculous. Pats, Cowboys, Vikings were all games that easily could have gone the other way if they executed just one last play. 9-7 wasn't far off.